Awoo.

Monster's University

Winston

I only saw the original Monster's Inc. one time, but for some reason, I really want to see this new movie.

The Disney Store has several products up for sale. One of them, the read-along book, has a preview with a HUGE spoiler. Do not click the spoiler tab below if you want to go into the movie blind. 

MIspoiler1_zps8889d3fa.png

MIspoiler2_zpsd8158160.png

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they didn't make trailers that showed so much of the film in it, I mean...it makes the plot and all its twists so easy to work out in this one.

I guess the only thing they've hidden away is how Randall became an asshole compared to this sweet shy persona.

It looks fun, but my expectations aren't very high for this. I'll still go and see it at the cinema though when it's released, just because I enjoyed Monsters Inc and find it the most underrated of Pixar's films. =]

One thing's for sure, I'm very curious to find out why Randall became so evil.

That trailer has ramped my interest in this film from meh, to fuck yeah. It looks great. Can pretty much tell how the whole film's gonna be but that's fine, we all knew how this was gonna go down.

Looks gorgeous and it looks funy, what more do you need at this point.

And...Jazz Clown Sully....creepiest thing ever

Pixar+Post+Monsters+University+Sulley+Ja

Damn, that trailer felt a little too spoiler-y. I figured I knew where they were going with it before, but that was a bit much.

Ah well, really pumped to see it in theaters.

Well thank god I haven't bothered to see the latest trailer. In fact I've mostly avoided following this ever since a few trailers ago.

I'm likely to see this when it comes out. While I still stand by my general lack of care for movies that are prequels or focus on school life, I'm sure it'll have no actual bearing on the film's quality and that's just personal taste speaking. I liked the first Monsters a lot and I'd rather have another installment to this than... ugh, Cars.

• Thumbs Up 3

I liked the first Monsters a lot and I'd rather have another installment to this than... ugh, Cars.

You raaaaaaaaaannnnnnggggggggg?

You raaaaaaaaaannnnnnggggggggg?

Well--- at least it's not Disney Pixar.

Planes is actually looking a lot better than I was expecting....of course, that's not saying much...

Actualy, trailer was slightly amusing from the perspective of a guy who knows about a lot of planes....

Kind of getting away from Planes for a bit, but I'm still very looking forward to this movie. Though that may be because I still had so much enthusiasm for the first one and that there hasn't been one scene from any of the trailers that made me cringe in any way. While I still can see much of the plot/ending being fairly predictable in regards to Mike and Sulley becoming good friends and Randall's eventual rivalry with them, it's really all about how they'll lead up to those moments is what has my interest.

• 3 weeks later...

So I saw the movie today, here are my thoughts:

- The blue umbrella short was kinda disappointing, it is exactly what you think it's gonna be, no more, no less. It lacks that extra something that makes their shorts so awesome. After the brilliant "La Luna" though, i guess any short would fall short(Ha, see what i did there?.......Yeah).

- Allow me to talk about Monsters Inc. for a moment: I don't love the movie like all of you do. I do think it's a good movie, It's just that i think the story needed a better script with more tender to truly make it great. The fact that the concept was stolen from Nickelodeon's "Aaaah, Real Monsters" and doesn't do much to be different from it also detracts from it in my opinion. Everybody keeps talking about how the first Cars movie is bland and cliche, but honestly, i thought that movie had a better script and execution that elevated it beyond the derivative concept. I do like the movie enough, don't worry, i bought it after all.

Honestly, i thought this movie was great. It is derivative, yes, but that's not a bad thing as long as you do just enough to make it stand as a good take on a concept done before, which i thought was missing in the first movie. One of the things people have been complaining about is that the humor is too childish.....I don't see it. I think the jokes are not any less mature than any movie PIXAR made aside from the Toy Story trilogy.  I liked this movie much more than Inc.

The jokes were clever and funny(There's the occasional one that falls flat, but it doesnt ruin anything), the references to the original were very amusing, and i thought the story was told with more heart and wit then the original. That was what made the movie for me, the great script. There's never a dull moment, the pacing is great, and there's alot more soul to the movie. The climax is one of Pixar's best in terms of how exciting it is.

Randy Newman's score is very good, it always does a great job at enhancing every scene, and of course the animation is fantastic.

So yeah, great movie in my opinion. I know alot of people didn't like Cars 2's immaturity and the fact that Brave looked more like a Disney movie than a Pixar movie, but i think this is their most Pixarish since Toy Story 3. Go see itwink.png

Edited by Tetsuya Nomura
  • Thumbs Up 3

-The fact that the concept was stolen from Nickelodeon's "Aaaah, Real Monsters" and doesn't do much to be different from it also detracts from it in my opinion.

This sort of mentality always bugs me. The plot isn't stolen from ARM, it's similar to it. by that logic MU is stealing the storyline behind the Monster High dolls...

where_to_get_monster_high_dolls.jpg

Besides that though I enjoyed your comments, made me a little more interested to see the film actually.....still three weeks before it's out here dry.png

This sort of mentality always bugs me. The plot isn't stolen from ARM, it's similar to it. by that logic MU is stealing the storyline behind the Monster High dolls...

Well I have never heard of those dolls, so i can't comment on ittongue.png

Just got back from seeing it myself. I enjoyed it immensely.

The plot was well-paced, some good character development especially between Mike and Sulley (though you had to expect that), animation was excellent as usual, and the humor was pretty well-timed as well. What also really stood out is that they do take some interesting turns from making it less predictable.

Things I liked:

-The way Randall changed isn't how you'd expected it to go. You'd think he'd turn bad because Mike starts ditching him in favor of his growing friendship with Sulley, but that in no way happens here. It's actually Randall who ditches Mike in favor of the popular fraternity group because of his desire to be well-liked or to get attention.

-After the climax (which was also very unique in execution), the fact that they did something, while impressive even by the headmistress's reaction, they still get expelled. No special reward or anything besides the headmistress showing her initial surprise by what they did. And it's not like it means they get their jobs as scarers immediately either. They actually work their way with different jobs at the factory before they get where they are in the original. And perhaps the best thing is, it's never disclosed how much time passes while they do it.

If there was something that slightly irked me was a couple of hokey lines about "being just you" or "what makes you special is your greatest asset" sort of thing. It wasn't hammered down or anything, just kind eye-roll inducing.

But otherwise, it was a pretty great movie and holds up very well as a prequel. Highly recommend it to anyone who still wants to see it.

EDIT: And oh yeah, a couple of characters from the original make an appearance near the end. Not going to tell which ones they are, but here's a couple clues:

-First one is an obvious one even though they try to cover up who it is.

-Second pertains to a certain actor who's in every Pixar film and the character he plays.

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 3

Saw this opening day, and man what a waste of 2 hours that was. This is the kind of movie that would only appeal to children. Nothing about it was clever. I was never engaged, I never laughed, it was just dull. I remember just sitting there waiting for it to engage me, but nothing. It wasn't cinematic at all. It felt like a direct to dvd movie. What makes this worse is this is Pixar. I don't know what happened to them, and I can't believe they actually green lit this. I was really upset when I left the cinema.

Got back from watching it not too long ago. When this was first announced, I admit, I was skeptical... Why make prequel to a movie that really didn't need one, let alone a sequel?

In the end though... I really enjoyed this movie. There was so much stuff that I liked, such as the world building of the monster world, the references to the original Monsters Inc, and Sully and Mike's interactions were just as entertaining as they were in the original. I've heard some people describe it as a more family friendly version of Revenge of the Nerds. And I could see what they mean by that, and in no way is that a bad thing.

Definitely a step up from the last two Pixar movies, and it does give me hope that Pixar's still got their charm.  

-The way Randall changed isn't how you'd expected it to go. You'd think he'd turn bad because Mike starts ditching him in favor of his growing friendship with Sulley, but that in no way happens here. It's actually Randall who ditches Mike in favor of the popular fraternity group because of his desire to be well-liked or to get attention.

As a matter of fact...

Yeah, well the social insecurity on display does explain why he craves the top scarer title so much in the original; it's not so much to prove himself that he's best, but to be able to get the attention he wants from others. 

And then the scare extractor scheme gets exposed by the very same people who burned him at college, and he goes a little loony.

Who called it? I called it, baby! I can tell an attention whore from a mile away!

I'm gonna check it out next weekend. I've been waiting for a chance to use some of these movie tickets my family gave me and this seems like the best opportunity to do so in a while.

At my theater they literally had a sign saying you couldn't use complimentary tickets on Monster's University....

as well as Man of Steal, World War Z and This is the End.

I live in a tiny town with a tiny theater, the left like The Purge and Now You See Me as the only options =/

I got to see it over the weekend and I loved it! I'm willing to say it's a lot better than Cars 2 or Brave

The movie's biggest strength is the supporting cast of characters. They did a great job at that aspect. I really liked how they developed Mike and Sully's friendship and the backstory of how everything came together in general. Mike sure knows his stuff when he's not scaring people. I have to agree with Pelly, it's nice that he got the spotlight on this movie compared to the original.

• Thumbs Up 3