Awoo.

Mario & Luigi

Kuzu

Love the series, namely Bowser's Inside Story. I like it more than Paper Mario, l like the plots, combat, just everything is great about them. Just when I think the stories are finished, it turns out I'm not even halfway through the game. I like that

• Thumbs Up 1

Superstar Saga and Thousand Year Door constantly compete for my favorite Mario game of all, with SS winning out more often than not. Everything about the game is simply perfect: the atmosphere is engaging, surprising, but feels undeniably Mario, the story has so many twists and turns that I couldn't believe at in my first playthrough, the enemies are varied and unique, the two Big Bads are very enjoyable characters, the fighting system is absolutely brilliant with different options for you to choose from, and by virtue of being an RPG, the game has a certain level of replayability in that you can constantly adjust the Bros. stats in various ways, which is accentuated even further by the Bonus Reel at the end of the each level up that will crank the chosen stat up depending on your timing. The game doesn't even have to bother giving Mario and Luigi distinguishable lines; the game gives them the best characterization out of any Mario game with their actions and mannerisms, which helps players really connect with the two and understand what they're really all about.

Superstar Saga is my top recommendation for a Mario game. It's doesn't move too fast nor too slow, and the experience is absolutely incredible throughout it all.

Edited by Qwilfish
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Mario and Luigi trilogy is pretty good. The plots are well done, the continuity is perfect, with the lead up of Fawful being the main antagonist of Bowser's inside story, and the quotes are hilarious. My favorite is Partners in Time. Seeing Baby Bros. and Mario Bros. team up was just epic all the way.

Oh gosh this topic is awesome, the Mario and Luigi series is awesome. My favorite is Partners in Time, but I have nostalgia for Superstar Saga, never played Bowser's inside Story. Jeez from Thousand Year Door to Partners in Time, Mario RPG's are freaking ridiculous awesome.

I love the Mario RPGs. Though the Mario and Luigi series, while awesome, is my least favorite of the Mario RPG spinoffs. I like exploring the areas of SMRPG more, and I find the Paper Mario games much more charming. The M&L series has some very nicely varied battle systems, but it tends to get annoying because the battles last so freakin' long. Especially Partners in Time. The battles in this series really overstay their welcome, one of the things I hate the most in JRPGs.

That said, they're still good games. I've yet to play Superstar Saga, but Partners in Time is pretty good, and Bowser's Inside Story is much better in all aspects. The characters are very enjoyable, especially Fawful. It's an absolute joy whenever he's on screen. Nice music and great art don't hurt either.

Not the best Nintendo RPGs, but still awesome. It's also worth mentioning that I find Nintendo to be the only company whose RPGs I can really get into. Other series, like Final Fantasy, may have bigger stories and more drama, but that doesn't matter when the gameplay isn't fun. I'm not gonna trudge through a crappy gameplay system for several hours just because the story is interesting. That's where Nintendo shines, as they make interesting stories as well as fun gameplay in their RPGs, and the M&L games, while not the best, are no exception.

I only have Bowser's Inside Story.

AND I LOVE IT SO FREAKING MUCH. Time to replay it for the... 4th? 5th time?

Seriously, I think that this is one of the best RPGs that any gamer should get their hands on. It mashes up (hint) everything you'd want in such a game: it's fun, it's simple, it's got a fair difficulty curve, it's charming, it's amazing, it's got plenty of creativity and whimsy...

But that final boss... (hint)

Dark Bowser/Dark Fawful, is one of the most kickass final bosses I've ever played and beaten. The atmosphere, the tension, the music! Playing as the series' staple yet badass bad guy/anti-hero beating down a dark clone of himself, sucking up its source of power into your own body, unknowingly having your two long-time enemies beat it down from the inside... Seriously, playing as Bowser and in Bowser (kinky) will forever be one of the best memories of gaming ever.

And don't even get me started on the soundtrack. Since I'm already on topic, this here is the game's final boss theme. Go on, listen to this and tell me it's not epic. I dare you!

SO HNNNNNNNNGH. <3 ;A; SO BEAUTIFUL. SO MAJESTIC. SO EPIC.

Dark Bowser isn't "Sonic 2 Death Egg Robo" difficult (HIIIIIIIINT) if you know what you're doing, but even when knowing the whole routine, it doesn't take away from the fun of the fight.

And that final hit.

That final hit.

Bowser__s_Last_Punch_by_qwedfgbnm.jpg

That takes like sweet freaking victory.

And Fawful, now that we're on the subject: he's one of the best villains in the entire Mario series. Right beneath Bowser. His unique dialogue and charm always manages to steal the spotlight. Not to mention that he's one of the most predominant and reoccurring characters throughout the M&L RPGs, it's difficult to forget about this guy.

I keep trying to find a copy of Partners in Time and SuperStar Saga, but alas...

• Thumbs Up 6

It makes me sad when people hat PiT, I love that game :<

I could never beat the first one, probably because I could never be arsed to do so.

Bowser's Inside Story was short, but still great.

I can't wait for the next one, if there even will be a next one ;3;

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah yeah, the music. It doesn't quite stack up to the (first two) Paper Marios to me, but the soundtracks from all three all still great.

I feel like I'm one of the few that prefers BiS's regular boss theme to the final boss theme.

My favorite song in the trilogy. It's just so incredibly peppy that it just psyches you up, but it still feels particularly focused that it gives you the impression that something significant is definitely going on. One of the few songs I can think of that combines whimsicality and buckle-down seriousness so well. <3

Edited by Qwilfish
  • Thumbs Up 5

Ah yeah, the music. It doesn't quite stack up to the (first two) Paper Marios to me, but the soundtracks from all three all still great.

I'm one of the few that probably prefers BiS's regular boss theme to the final boss theme.

[/media]

My favorite song in the trilogy. It's just so incredibly peppy that it just psyches you up, but it still feels particularly focused that it gives you the impression that something significant is definitely going on. One of the few songs I can think of that combines whimsicality and buckle-down seriousness so well. <3

OH MY GOD THIS SONG, HOW CAN I FORGET IT. D':

...wait, I actually know this on piano! >D Still need to work on PiT's, a bit rough on the edges at the moment.

EDIT: Gotta go and record this later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Got the first one the christmas of the year it came out. LOVED IT. The artwork, the humor, everything was so lively and addicting. Gotta love that italian gibberish they speak.

I wanted to get the sequels so badly, but I didn't own a DS sadly.

I take your original and raise you a remix/remastering.

Edited by Solkia-kun
  • Thumbs Up 3

The only game I partially played was Superstar Saga, it was the only Mario game that my little female cousins had when they came over to stay at my house. ( the others were That's So Raven and Kim Possible...meh). And to say the least I enjoyed my time with it but it really didn't win me over to the point that I yearned to have it in my collection. It possibly cause I really didn't have enough time to get emersed into the world and that at that point in time my only interest in handheld games was Pokemon ( Wario Land 4 and Mario Kart GBA being the execption)on the GBA.

I've actually only played the first Mario and Luigi game... I stopped someway through it, because I got stuck somewhere. Can't remember exactly where it was, but I'm going to have to pick it up sometime again. Fawful was pretty hilarious in the first game but I'm with some that say that his humor seemed a little forced in the third one.

I love the stories for these games though... These definately feel more Marioesque, not the dark crap Super Paper Mario tried to do. Lighthearted and funny, that's how I like my Mario games.

They're ok, but Super Mario RPG is still my favorite Mario RPG game.

I like the first Mario and Luigi game. The second one sucked, and third one's ok but I don't like the fact that you spend more time playing as Bowser then Mario and Luigi.

Edited by Vampfox

and third one's ok but I don't like the fact that you spend more time playing as Bowser then Mario and Luigi.

The title of that game is a dead give away on who is the main focus. i.e Bowser.

Oh yeah.

Fuck the giant Bowser sections where you fight trains and hills and shit. I don't like fighting with a stylus.

It makes me sad when people hat PiT, I love that game :<

I could never beat the first one, probably because I could never be arsed to do so.

Bowser's Inside Story was short, but still great.

I can't wait for the next one, if there even will be a next one ;3;

Oh man, I loved all of these games. Bowser's Inside Story being my favorite, only because FAWFUL was the main villian. Yep, Fawful was my favorite character in the entire trilogy, when he was

blown up at the end of Bowser's Inside Story

I've only played Bowser's Inside Story, but I've been meaning to pick the other two up. The Mario & Luigi trilogy beats out Paper Mario for me. Not because the story or anything is better. I just find it a bit more exciting, and... a bit more charming, I guess.

I love seeing the relationship between the two. When one of the Bros. goes down in BIS, the other one goes and picks them up when dodging attacks.

It's touches like that that make me love the series so much.

And, of course, who could forget about Fawful?

241px-NTR_MarioLuigi3_07char_E3.jpg

Now c'mon Nintendo, when's Mario and Luigi 4 for 3DS gonna be announced? I know you're working on it.

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mario and Luigi picking up the unconscious bro was in the first game as well. It was one of those defining characteristics they have in the game.

I can't remember if the animation was carried to BiS, but in SS when the conscious bro uses one of the 1-Ups for the other one, he jumps over to where his brother is lying down, feeds the 1-Up to him, then when the brother regains conscious, they perform a synchronized cheer signifying that they're ready to go again. The designers could have easily just made the bro regain consciousness by just touching the 1-Up and then getting back up, but they decided to show a lot of love in that moment.

I really enjoy the Mario & Luigi games too (played every one of them and completed them~). I'd say I probably prefer them to the Paper Mario games, since the battle system is shifted a bit more to focus on dodging and counter attacking rather than Paper Mario's more standard "hit > be hit > hit again" system (I know Thousand Year Door had that Super Block option, but I still feel Mario & Luigi's gameplay is alot smoother and more dynamic with it).

I'd probably say Bowser's Inside Story is my favourite of the three, since I find Bowser's fight style to work really well in the gameplay. Superstar Saga would be second, with it being held back by being a bit rough around the edges with it's gameplay and being a bit padded out near the end, and Partner's in Time last, cause while it's still fun, it just seemed a tad bland compared to the other two (doesn't work in it's favour that it features the Baby Mario Bros. pretty strongly, considering the stigma they kinda have in the series nowadays).

I do kinda wonder what they'll do for the next game (if there is one), or who they may decide to include. I mean it'd be neat if they decided to implement say, Yoshi or Toad, into the gameplay fighting alongside the bros., or maybe have Wario or Donkey Kong working seperately/opposed to them in a way like Bowser was in BIS. There's also the question of who the villain could be, whether it be an original character causing havoc, or even Midbus assuming the villain role after Fawful's defeat (ala what Fawful did after Cackaletta's defeat).

Waluigi? In a game that isn't Sports or Partying? Are you outta your mind? He's obviously not popular enough with the fanbase to make an appearance in a more serious title! :V

Though seriously, an RPG starring Wario and Waluigi that features the same kind of warped take on the world that Wario's games have and the mechanics changed up to be more fitting to the two characters would be pretty interesting (like with Wario, perhaps a system were taking more hits and surviving them gives him power bonus' or something?). It'd be an interesting sight to see if they tried that though.

• Thumbs Up 3