I have a very limited understanding of politics, agreements, and all that stuff. But from what I understand of this, this "trade agreement", called the Trans Pacific Partnership, if it successfully passes, can:
- Limits government regulations on various things, including healthcare, food safety, natural resources, etc.
- Corporations can sue governments outside of their domestic court system if they suspect that their profits are being stopped or regulated
- Governments can be forced to pay infinite amounts of fines due to the above mentioned.
- HUMAN RIGHTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS CAN BASICALLY BE IGNORED/CHALLENGED.
- If this thing is completed, it strong arms every other country into adopting these laws or else the other countries get
- Congress, the public and the press were completely locked out of this agreement; no documents, no leaks (until recently).
This is not good would be such a giant understatement it's not even funny (which it isn't).
http://tpp2012.com/ for petition and more info.