Awoo.

Your Ideal Sonic Game?

Crystal Slave

I'll just paste what I had in the other thread.

My ideal Sonic game would be a 2.5 D side scroller that doesn't just retread the classic games, but expands upon them. 1 or 2 new characters, a more fantasy based story. at least 20 zones, and some new powerups.

As for 3D, I'd want to see if they could pull off a Metroid Prime, open world style Sonic game. Exploration mixed with speedy platforming. That would be kinda tricky to pull off though. Sonic turning in 3D has never actually been nailed.

(this is rambly, so feel free to not give a shit)

A game about running and jumping and rolling. Level designs that include the walls and ceiling in the actual design and not as afterthoughts. The marble-like physics that once made the series both great and unique. A game whose mechanics are fun in themselves and not just from running the flashy obstacle course.

Y'know what I liked? I liked that rough ground in Mazuri. The stuff that slowed you down. It was a bit too sticky, but it's a nice idea. And the ice in Holoska was actually slippery...that half-pipey sort of section near the start is maybe the closest the modern games have come to doing it right. Why can't we use the level design to help us take a corner?

When you go as fast as you do in the modern games, it's almost like you're not moving at all. The level just sort of comes at you, and you react (and properly) or fail. When you aren't going quite so fast...it's more like you actually are moving through it. There's time to process it. And since there's time to process it, there can actually be things worth processing. You can say "oh, I wonder what's over there?" and actually try to go over there, instead of getting to "oh-" and then both suddenly being way past it and eating spike for losing focus momentarily (there's nothing over there in a modern game anyway).

And that doesn't mean it isn't fast. It just means it isn't as fast as possible, all the time (until they decide to plunk some rectangles down for you to jump on).

Y'know I think Sonic would gain a lot from looking at skateboarding games. I don't just want to swap Tony Hawk with Sonic, but that's a lot like the kind of motion Sonic does, isn't it? You gain speed going downhill, you ramp off shit. I don't want Sonic games to be about running around in this little "open"-world doing missions and grinding (pun only partially intended) for points, but the way of moving around...

Grinding in Sonic games kind of sucks. For several reasons, but maybe the worst of it is how they're pretty much never integrated into the level anymore. You look at SA2, first game with grinding, and what's the first thing you can grind? An actual hand rail. Something that actually has a reason for being in that location, and is in the place it actually should be, attached to some stairs. But even halfway through the game things started going to shit. Rails were stuck wherever, and especially in the middle of nowhere, linking two chunks of Actual Level. There's no choice anymore, and barely any gameplay. Get on the rail or you can't continue, and sit on that rail until you reach the end (or dodge a bit, which is basically just some shitty handheld LCD game you get from McDonalds or something but with better graphics). Rails, if we're going to have grinding, should be part of the level, not strung out between parts. Make every sharp edge grindable, like in a skateboarding game, why not.

...that's all I got. I stopped to eat and lost my flow.

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 4

I want the SA1 spindash, but instead of holding a button to charge up the spindash, instead make you press two or so buttons at the same time to activate it (for example: press RT & LT to activate it instead of holding B for X amount of time)

Something like this unfinished fan game:

That doesn't look all that good TBH, kinda looks boring with no platforming or obstacles.

My Turn!

(very rambly, so feel free to ignore)

The world shoudl become more open than it is now. If Generations was quite complex, this would be Super Mario 64 levels of open or beyond. Sonic's rolling is back and better than the SA1 version. Every sharp edge in the game is grindable on. The downhill should even give you speed. No more random grind rails that take up like 1/3 or more of a level, just sensible ones. Also, the platforming is more complex and doesn't slow you down like Gens and SA1 or shift you to 2D like Colors, or be excessivley simple like SA2, Heroes, Shadow, 06, Unleashed, and 4. No more of those orange slowdown rings from Colors. Enemy units differ by level. While most levels have Eggpawns, at least a handful do not have them. Some enemies should not even be Robotnik's. Have GUN shake things up, especially if you play on the Dark side. Maybe even bring back guys like the Battle Kuku or Erazor's genies. Also, say goodbye to beat em up sessions like Heroes, Shadow, and 06. Botomless pits are also going to be dumped unless they make sense there, like on an airship. Bosses should be there based on the story as well as one-per level ones. The one per level ones should be Eggman robots. Story ones can be everything from character battles to god-monsters. Also, the other playables must come back. There should be about 2-16 (or possibly even more, if there's an Adventure 3 or other huge game. My idea for Sonic Adventure 3 has 40+ playable characters) characters per game, depending on the focus and scope of the story. They should all play in the smae genre and style as Sonic, but have different abilities. Some who don't make it in could be bosses or side characters. There should be hub worlds, with sidequests, shops, and mini games. The Chao should also come back.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why two buttons?

So it will be less likely you'd activate it by accident

Plus, I think pressing multiple buttons to activate it would be quicker than holding a button and waiting around for it to charge up like in SA1.

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Do you play games by slapping your controller? How would accidentally pressing a button be so likely that you'd need to separate it to two buttons?

My Turn!

The world shoudl become more open than it is now. If Generations was quite complex, this would be Super Mario 64 levels of open or beyond. Sonic's rolling is back and better than the SA1 version. Every sharp edge in the game is grindable on. The downhill should even give you speed. No more random grind rails that take up like 1/3 or more of a level, just sensible ones. Also, the platforming is more complex and doesn't slow you down like Gens and SA1 or shift you to 2D like Colors, or be excessivley simple like SA2, Heroes, Shadow, 06, Unleashed, and 4. No more of those orange slowdown rings from Colors. Enemy units differ by level. While most levels have Eggpawns, at least a handful do not have them. Some enemies should not even be Robotnik's. Have GUN shake things up, especially if you play on the Dark side. Maybe even bring back guys like the Battle Kuku or Erazor's genies. Also, say goodbye to beat em up sessions like Heroes, Shadow, and 06. Botomless pits are also going to be dumped unless they make sense there, like on an airship. Bosses should be there based on the story as well as one-per level ones. The one per level ones should be Eggman robots. Story ones can be everything from character battles to god-monsters. Also, the other playables must come back. There should be about 2-16 (or possibly even more, if there's an Adventure 3 or other huge game. My idea for Sonic Adventure 3 has 40+ playable characters) characters per game, depending on the focus and scope of the story. They should all play in the smae genre and style as Sonic, but have different abilities. Some who don't make it in could be bosses or side characters. There should be hub worlds, with sidequests, shops, and mini games. The Chao should also come back.

I actually like the sound of a lot of this, except for the 40+ character thing. That's a bit much. I think we should be limited to up to 6 characters per game.

Do you play games by slapping your controller? How would accidentally pressing a button be so likely that you'd need to separate it to two buttons?

Of course not.

I am thinking about the games like SA2 or Heroes where because pressing just B activating the light dash could cause deaths because you are trying to do something else.

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Of course not. I am thinking about the games like SA2 or Heroes where because pressing just B activating the light dash could cause deaths because you are trying to do something else.

Why not separate the Light Dash and Bounce then, instead of making you press two buttons to do something as simple and arbitrary as the Spin Dash...?

My idea for Sonic Adventure 3 has 40+ playable characters) characters per game, depending on the focus and scope of the story. They should all play in the smae genre and style as Sonic, but have different abilities. Some who don't make it in could be bosses or side characters. There should be hub worlds, with sidequests, shops, and mini games. The Chao should also come back.

And lemme guess, they're all Blaze.

huehueheuheuehehu

So anyway I'm gonna copypasta what I said in the thread that linked everybody here and hopefully people will discuss it. Hopefully.

1. 2d HD sprites. Sonic 2 HD style

2. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles all playable

3. Each have their abilities from S3&K

4. Amy, Shadow, Rouge, and Silver playable, with their own powers and abilities

5. Everyone can go fast, spindash, ect

6. Everyone's versions of the stages have gimmicks that revolve around their powers

7. Good freaking level design

8. Elemental Shields. New elements would be interesting.

9. Red rings that actually do something

10. Perfect Physics

11. Kill Modern Sonic and give everybody Classic-Ish designs. And I admit, Green Eyes do kinda bother me...a little bit.

I WOULD PLAY THE SHIT OUT OF THIS.

Also Sonichu as an unlockable character...

Of course not. I am thinking about the games like SA2 or Heroes where because pressing just B activating the light dash could cause deaths because you are trying to do something else.
The solution, then, is to not make moves overlap, not to make the moves more complicated to execute. Whatever button you assign the spindash to, make it so it's either the only thing that button does, or that whatever moves are on it activate in clearly distinct situations (say, it does one thing on the ground, and a different thing in the air).

Of course not.

I am thinking about the games like SA2 or Heroes where because pressing just B activating the light dash could cause deaths because you are trying to do something else.

The only problems I had with SA2's terrible handling of button mapping were when I did a somersault when I wanted to light speed dash, or bounce attacking over a pit when wanting to do a light speed dash. (The X and Y buttons say hello).

And lemme guess, they're all Blaze.

huehueheuheuehehu

Also Sonichu as an unlockable character...

Nope. There would only be 2 versions of Blaze: Current and Sonic 2006.There would also be some new characters in that.

Nope. There would only be 2 versions of Blaze: Current and Sonic 2006.There would also be some new characters in that.

Why would you want 2 versions of the SAME CHARACTER?

iih god sanik jeneratons o god

My Turn!

Might as well call it Sonic Heroes 2.

I can't think of a good reason for a single player game to have 40 (or more) playable characters. Your idea sounds like one of those overambitious fangames that either never gets finished, or is terrible.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why would you want 2 versions of the SAME CHARACTER?

iih god sanik jeneratons o god

You're saying that like there's actually a difference between "06" and "Current" Blaze. They're exactly the same, minus the voice, I guess.

Wow. That is just wow.

Okay, let the Witty one make crappy ideas. Here we go.

Gameplay: Similar enough to Generations because it works -- but with spindashing in it and boosting. Boosting is cut so it acts more like an award. Spindashing is a mechanical you always can have.

Of course, this depends on characters. All of them retain speed. Let's face it, it's a Sonic game. It was founded on speed. Character's speeds differ though.

Ideas for gameplay on certain characters:

Sonic: Fastest speed. Can run across water, can boost, spindashes, homing attacks.

Shadow: Fastest speed. Can run across water, cannot boost, but can slow, homing attacks.

Tails: Second fastest speed, can fly (of course), tails whip, attack from air (diving tackles, maybe throwing objects), swim (though slowly) No spindash (yes, I know he was introduced with it, but really, we gotta seperate him from the hogs)

Knuckles: Third fastest (considering his other abilities, it seems fair to strip more of his speed), glide, climb, box, swim quickly, digging.

These were quick selections of popular characters. You seem to get the point.

My ideal games go on a character-by-story; gameplay-by-story&story-by-gameplay basis.

Ideas

A game that uses Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and Knuckles and Angel Island as a throwback to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. It also uses the Emeralds and the Knuckles Tribe as a throwback to Sonic Adventure.

I'd want this game to play the time traveling card (of sorts). Say Eggman shatters the Master Emerald right above the original spot the Island used to be at (and keeps the pieces on the island). The island sinks back down to the spot, but it has some power over it. It's possible the emerald is sentient and plays the past by memory -- however the gang really is traveling in time on certain hot-spots there.

Tikal, the chief, the Chao, even Chaos has a high importance there. It can even turn out Eggman was the one who corrupted the chief and Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles were the ones who was able to beat Perfect Chaos -- hinting, also, to that portrait of Eggman fighting Super Sonic in S3&K.

Buuuuuuuut, there really are a lot of time-traveling spots.

I'd also like a Sonic and Shadow game. Plot-wise, I'm not sure. But I'd want it to focus on Sonic and Shadow. Shadow's level slightly grittier than Sonic, but still colorful. I want them to amp-up Shadow's attitude and give him a dry sense of humor. Make him less emo, and friggin' smile once and a while.

Tails and Rouge can play supporting, but very important (both of them) roles.

/crappy ideas.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd also like a Sonic and Shadow game. Plot-wise, I'm not sure. But I'd want it to focus on Sonic and Shadow. Shadow's level slightly grittier than Sonic, but still colorful. I want them to amp-up Shadow's attitude and give him a dry sense of humor. Make him less emo, and friggin' smile once and a while.

Yes, I like this very much. If they did this with shadow I would actually LIKE him.

Yes, I like this very much. If they did this with shadow I would actually LIKE him.

There's no doubt he still needs to be darker than Sonic, but he doesn't have to be melodramatic, arms crossed (but still can cross), no smile, anti-social.

He just needs to assert his dominance, back-hand compliment, and show that he believes to be superior. Sure, he can respect someone like Sonic, but he still believes him to be an idiot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow the Hedgehog 2 would be my ideal game.

1. Improve the hit detection from Shadow the Hedgehog.

2. Make it so that the side you chose won't attack you.

3. No Last Story. Last Story made a lot of the first Shadow game pointless.