Awoo.

Sailor Moon Crystal

---

Ah, the show that got me made fun of in school. How nice it will be to revisit you! smile.png

Oh man, I know how you feel. I had to keep this as a skeleton in the closet back when I was in the sixth grade and through all of highschool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw yeah, Sailor Moon!

Those designs look great! And finally- a solid release! I can't wait for future news...but I also wish they aired it weekly instead of bi-weekly..

I don't like the new designs, mostly because they don't feel new to me. I was hoping for more of a departure from the old style and for something more modern. I know that a lot of fans are very happy that they've stuck with the older/manga style, and it's not that I wanted them to be moeblob looking in style. I was thinking somewhere in-between?

I'm the polar opposite, I'd hate them to modernize them.

The last thing I want is Sailor J-cup and the moeshit crew.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm the polar opposite, I'd hate them to modernize them.

The last thing I want is Sailor J-cup and the moeshit crew.

Same. I'm pleased they still look like the original designs and didn't make them drastically different and modern. Almost all animu girls nowadays share the same typical moe designs with childlike proportions, so it's nice to see Sailor Moon keeping it old school!
  • Thumbs Up 2

At first I found the designs cheesy as hell but they are slowly growing on me.

Can´t understand why it´s only two episodes a month, but oh well. Can´t wait for July.

I'd hate them to modernize them. The last thing I want is Sailor J-cup and the moeshit crew.

Same here. According to Naoko Takeuchi's original concept designs, most of the characters have been born (or rather, been reincarnated) in the year 1978 A.D., which meant that they were teenagers during an era before hipsters and before the invasion of things such as iPhone and Facebook and Tumblr and Twitter.

Thank goodness that these rebooted designs have not been grotesquely disfigured in the way that the Ninja Turtles have been disfigured recently. That would've just hurt too much and would've been an unforgiveable  desecration. 

Anyways, perhaps I would actually dare to check this reboot out once I finish reading the manga books. I might just actually risk it. Merely out of curiousity. Because so far I've been enjoying making comparisons between the manga version and the original anime version.

This would give me more details to obsessively compare and research. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Who remembers the song "The Power of Love," from the Sailor Moon R movie dub? That song sums up how happy I am to see the first shoujo-sentai anime be back in action.

At first I found the designs cheesy as hell but they are slowly growing on me.

Can´t understand why it´s only two episodes a month, but oh well. Can´t wait for July.

Because Toei is a cheap company that makes a lot of their shows on budgets that would embarrass the cheapest Canadian flash cartoon.

They're spreading the budget thin by working on this Sailor moon show and are pulling this stunt to keep costs low.

Who remembers the song "The Power of Love," from the Sailor Moon R movie dub?

I have an mp3 of that one in my collection, along with many others.

IMO, the best theme song for Sailor Moon is definitely in the German dub. I don't understand a single word in it, but it's got the catchiest and most energetic beat out of all the other European dubs for this anime.

I wonder how the theme song(s) for this reboot will sound like.

I'm definitely looking forward to this as Sailor Moon was pretty much what got me into anime.  I like the new character designs, although I'll wait to see them in motion before I give a final judgement.  The one thing I'm not looking forward to is not hearing Michie Tomizawa as Sailor Mars (also played Sumire in Sakura Wars, my all time favorite game franchise).  I'm also hoping the new franchise brings some good merchandise, because most of the stuff from the original series is pretty bad.

I'm loving those new designs and am very much looking forward to hearing more about this since I have fond memories of watching the original series on Toonami growing up.

I do remember watching some episodes of the dub, but my own memories are quite vague, sadly, so I couldn't tell you whether or not I found enjoyment out of them, though I was told by a family member that I simply didn't care.

As for the manga, I started reading it. Not too bad, so far.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.

I do remember watching some episodes of the dub, but my own memories are quite vague, sadly, so I couldn't tell you whether or not I found enjoyment out of them, though I was told by a family member that I simply didn't care.

The English Dub is actually considered to be the worst one, because it attempted to distort and conceal the intended portrayal of Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune as an open lesbian couple. Instead, it tried to deceitfully portray them as biological cousins who live together.

This decision made Naoko Takeuchi (the creator) very angry, and that's why she denied English translators the rights for dubbing Season5 which was heavily focused on lesbians and trans-gender transformations and would've been utterly disfigured by the English censorship.

Anyways, I wonder how many seasons will the new anime have and how the story arc will go... Will it only feature the fight against Queen Beryl? Will it feature only the 5 Inner Senshi without introducing Chibiusa and any of the 4 Outer Senshi? Will it have the same focus on lesbans and trans-gender transformations? And if so, how will the English translators handle it this time around?

I don't like the new designs, mostly because they don't feel new to me. I was hoping for more of a departure from the old style and for something more modern. I know that a lot of fans are very happy that they've stuck with the older/manga style, and it's not that I wanted them to be moeblob looking in style. I was thinking somewhere in-between?

Yeah same here.

Though I plan to keep a open-mind with this and hope that things will work out when fully animated. 

• 1 month later...

Sigh, again, same problem I talked about in the Ace Attorney thread, the visuals are too colorful. I know it's Sailor Moon, but let's compare:

gew59yn5n7w6cq61ad3r.png

broadcast-v-sailor-moon-crystal-660x330.

The new series lacks grit, feels more artificial. Just because you can make something shinier and more colorful doesn't mean you should. I wasn't expecting it to look the same don't get me wrong, but honestly I don't like this new look very much, despite the character designs looking good.

Digitally painted cels can look great, but some animators seem to be lazy and not add their own touches to what the computer does. As a result some humanity is lost.

I'm still looking forward to it, as I'm curious to see what new spin on it the writers have, but this look, eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

This decision made Naoko Takeuchi (the creator) very angry, and that's why she denied English translators the rights for dubbing Season5 which was heavily focused on lesbians and trans-gender transformations and would've been utterly disfigured by the English censorship.

This bit is particularly funny, because, in Italy, we dubbed the entire series.

And...we also made sure that the trans-gender transformation was changed into the guys summoning their twin sisters to take their place during the fights.

Weird how things like censorship work from country to country, right?

It's funny how the English version had so much censored things, and yet this scene was left completely unscathed:

• Thumbs Up 1

This bit is particularly funny, because, in Italy, we dubbed the entire series.

And...we also made sure that the trans-gender transformation was changed into the guys summoning their twin sisters to take their place during the fights.

Weird how things like censorship work from country to country, right?

That reminds me. I don't ever recall Greece getting a dub, but after looking it up, they did. And from what I saw, it was uncensored. Funny how it was also one of the first countries to get the show outside Japan. Speaking of censorship, I don't think Greece has ever censored anime. Even One Piece aired unedited but it didn't last long because of the violent nature of the show. Well, that just goes to show how countries differ I guess. And honestly I don't get censorship. They could easily just show series at different time slots if they are concerned about kids watching inappropriate content. Like (again) how in Greece Shin-chan would air around 10pm. For obvious reasons of course.

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna update and double post here (sorry). But some new footage got leaked. Spoilers beware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYsyJGc7DQ

We got the new opening song and a transformation scene. Fan reaction seems mixed at the moment. I personally think it looks amazing. The music and animation are stunning. Might have to get used to Usagi's voice, however. Can't wait for it to air soon!

As expected, it looks amazing!

The opening lacks some of the cheese of the 90's cartoon, which is both an improvement and a slight disappointment, but no matter.  I quite like it.  The animation is absolutely gorgeous, though the brief instances of 3D in the transformation sequence looked as tacked on as an early 2000's Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Looks all good, anyway.  I'm still highly looking forward to it! C:

Everything looked gorgeous except that transformation. Could Toei not even make the CGI look convincing? I know they're the money savers of the industry, but a little quality goes a long way.

The animation is lovely! And I don't think the transformation scene is that bad, it's just the CGI stands out too much. >.>

Still, I can't wait to watch this!