Awoo.

The Movie Thread

AdventChild

Now here's a truly outrageous fact about the recent Jem and the Holograms movie: It bombed so hard that Universal has it pulled from theaters after two weeks.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jem-Holograms-Has-Been-Pulled-From-Theaters-93687.html

Not really surprising after how much it deviates from the source material and just goes for a generic 'rise to fame/band breakup and make up' story without the flashy 80s glitz and glam the cartoon was known for. As a bonus check out Rebeltaxi's review of the movie:

Edited by AdventChild
  • Thumbs Up 2

http://br.web.img1.acsta.net/r_640_600/b_1_d6d6d6/pictures/15/04/27/11/49/285262.jpg

‘The Anarchists’ (‘Les Anarchistes’): Cannes Review

Assembling a top-notch cast, loads of atmosphere and plenty of intriguing ideas into what could have been a powerful tale of love and revolution in turn-of-the-century Paris, The Anarchists (Les Anarchistes) nonetheless fails to ignite the way it should.

Now here's a truly outrageous fact about the recent Jem and the Holograms movie: It bombed so hard that Universal has it pulled from theaters after two weeks.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jem-Holograms-Has-Been-Pulled-From-Theaters-93687.html

Not really surprising after how much it deviates from the source material and just goes for a generic 'rise to fame/band breakup and make up' story without the flashy 80s glitz and glam the cartoon was known for. As a bonus check out Rebeltaxi's review of the movie:

Not mention it ended Universal's box office streak this year after blockbusters such as Furious 7, Jurassic World, Minions, and Straight Outta Compton.

ComingToTheaters2016TheBoyStaringLaurenC

Coming To Theaters 2016: "The Boy" Staring Lauren Cohan (Video Trailer)

When she arrives to their house for the 1st time, she noticed that their child was made into a 4ft graven image of their son in doll form, and it shocked the living hell out of her that she'll be looking after something she thinks can't speak or alive for that matter. Insanely they gave her a set of rules to follow, but did she abide by them?

• Thumbs Up 1

The movie industry is not that different from the AAA game industry apparently.

"Because we can't have a successful one off thing. No, we need anything and everything to have a sequel."

Now I mean consumers share some of the blame I admit. Heck I was expecting and hoping for a Kingsman sequel, and we're getting one, but it's getting ridiculous. When a movie like Cabin in the Woods ends the way it did, and the creators INTENDED for it to end like that, a sequel is not needed. And usually, sequels like that are almost guaranteed to do worse than the first.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just watched the Emperor's New Groove for the first time. It was pretty funny, I liked it. :) I'd recommend watching it to anyone who hasn't. For some reason it felt kind of awkward at first, but then later hit its stride and seemed to become significantly better, I think. Anyway, good for people who like funni toons.

• 2 weeks later...

360237202_1280x720.jpg

At the time of production of “Resident Evil: Damnation”, there were two big themes: to produce the stereoscopic effect (depth) and to create a sense of realism.

Another way of making a full CG realistic is to make the audience emotionally attached to the characters. That can be done by creating emotions and human-like gestures. At our studio we use facial capture to create such realistic facial movements. We take the facial capture data and transfer to locater and create expressions that match each cut using offset controller. This controller is set up on facial muscles and reads detail movements on the face. It allows us to create natural facial expressions and muscle movements

Golden Globes 2016: CarolThe Big Short, lead nominations — see the full list

Best Motion Picture, Musical, or Comedy
The Big Short
Joy
The Martian
Spy
Trainwreck

Best Motion Picture, Animated
Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie

https://jetsettimes.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/cannes-film-festival-amfar-party.jpg?w=804&h=536

11 Hottest Spots To Mingle

10. VIP Room

If you’ve been to the VIP Room in Paris, then you’ll know what to expect at VIP Room at Cannes. One of the hottest clubs during the film festival, expect to see celebs at reserved tables stacked with bottles of Cristal.

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I decided to watch a few retro films.

Airplane!: This movie is so incredibly stupid, but it's funny. The whole script is just filled with joke after joke after joke. It's a strange blend of all sorts of satire, and everything written is taken quite literally by the actors, which is where most of its ridiculousness comes. If anyone likes over the top comedies with weird plots, I'd recommend this. And it's weird explaining it, since the majority of the movie takes place on a plane. Normally that sounds boring but the amount of things that go wrong is just crazy. And I think that would best describe this movie. Crazy.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: This movie, I checked out only because I knew a lot of the actors in it. But I was pleasantly surprised. The writing was very much like a mix of Phineas and Ferb and Back to the Future. It's got that 80s craziness with the whole "brother does something that parents don't know about and sister tries to bust him" kind of plot. And although it sounds like a very long episode of a comedy series, the movie format works quite well. I was always worried for Ferris thinking "how can he get out of that?" or "oh jeez, is he going to get caught now?". So they did a good job adding one more problem on top of the other, which made me more interested to see how the plot will turn out. If anyone is a fan of either Phineas and Ferb or Back to the Future, I'd say you'll enjoy this movie too, as it shares a similar writing style.

Back to the Future Part III: Yeah so I finally got to watching this and honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The plot heavily recycles a lot of elements from the first film, but it works well enough. Actually, I think it was for the benefit of the movie. If it was just a generic wild west themed movie, I would've probably been bored. Now, I can say it was the weakest of the 3 Back to the Future films, but it was still enjoyable. The stakes were always high, and there were plenty of twists that kept my interest. My only complaint would be the ending of the film, as it didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped for and I don't think it was the best plot point they could have added... but it does have a nice message and wraps things up. At least it didn't end in another cliffhanger. 

Also now, I'm watching Hotel Transylvania 2 and.. I'm already 8 minutes in and I don't think I'll be able to finish this movie. Several things already bug me. For one, the animation is just too over the top. I get that they were going for a cartoony look, but they really are taking it too far here. It's downright exhausting to look at. The character motions and facial expressions are very extremely loose and cartoony. I know I praised Inside Out and Peanuts for translating 2D movement well into 3D, but here it's not done well at all. One big complain I have is how off a lot of the characters look, especially in the faces. The mouths are way too close to the nose and they just have all this extra face space under it and it's just.. ew. Speaking of ew, at the point I'm at, the main character is pregnant. I forgot her name but you know, Adam Sandler vampire's daughter. And it's a little disturbing- No, actually it's very disturbing because she looks 16. We haven't been given her age yet, and I can't remember if it was given in the previous movie, but it's been so long since I've seen it and it was so forgettable that I can't recall much of anything from it. But eh, I guess I should finish the movie before giving my full thoughts, but first impressions are already too bad. I feel I'll need to watch this in 15 minute spurts like Minions and Home. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, ElectricAngel said:

Alright, so I decided to watch a few retro films.

Airplane!: This movie is so incredibly stupid, but it's funny. The whole script is just filled with joke after joke after joke. It's a strange blend of all sorts of satire, and everything written is taken quite literally by the actors, which is where most of its ridiculousness comes. If anyone likes over the top comedies with weird plots, I'd recommend this. And it's weird explaining it, since the majority of the movie takes place on a plane. Normally that sounds boring but the amount of things that go wrong is just crazy. And I think that would best describe this movie. Crazy.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: This movie, I checked out only because I knew a lot of the actors in it. But I was pleasantly surprised. The writing was very much like a mix of Phineas and Ferb and Back to the Future. It's got that 80s craziness with the whole "brother does something that parents don't know about and sister tries to bust him" kind of plot. And although it sounds like a very long episode of a comedy series, the movie format works quite well. I was always worried for Ferris thinking "how can he get out of that?" or "oh jeez, is he going to get caught now?". So they did a good job adding one more problem on top of the other, which made me more interested to see how the plot will turn out. If anyone is a fan of either Phineas and Ferb or Back to the Future, I'd say you'll enjoy this movie too, as it shares a similar writing style.

Back to the Future Part III: Yeah so I finally got to watching this and honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The plot heavily recycles a lot of elements from the first film, but it works well enough. Actually, I think it was for the benefit of the movie. If it was just a generic wild west themed movie, I would've probably been bored. Now, I can say it was the weakest of the 3 Back to the Future films, but it was still enjoyable. The stakes were always high, and there were plenty of twists that kept my interest. My only complaint would be the ending of the film, as it didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped for and I don't think it was the best plot point they could have added... but it does have a nice message and wraps things up. At least it didn't end in another cliffhanger. 

Also now, I'm watching Hotel Transylvania 2 and.. I'm already 8 minutes in and I don't think I'll be able to finish this movie. Several things already bug me. For one, the animation is just too over the top. I get that they were going for a cartoony look, but they really are taking it too far here. It's downright exhausting to look at. The character motions and facial expressions are very extremely loose and cartoony. I know I praised Inside Out and Peanuts for translating 2D movement well into 3D, but here it's not done well at all. One big complain I have is how off a lot of the characters look, especially in the faces. The mouths are way too close to the nose and they just have all this extra face space under it and it's just.. ew. Speaking of ew, at the point I'm at, the main character is pregnant. I forgot her name but you know, Adam Sandler vampire's daughter. And it's a little disturbing- No, actually it's very disturbing because she looks 16. We haven't been given her age yet, and I can't remember if it was given in the previous movie, but it's been so long since I've seen it and it was so forgettable that I can't recall much of anything from it. But eh, I guess I should finish the movie before giving my full thoughts, but first impressions are already too bad. I feel I'll need to watch this in 15 minute spurts like Minions and Home. 

She's an immortal several hundred year old

3 hours ago, ElectricAngel said:

Mavis is a 118 year old vampire, so she obviously doesn't age! Also I think the sequel is set two or three years after the first film so she would be 120-121 when she has the baby.

What bothers me more is that Jonathan has not aged at all and still acts like a complete idiot.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Mavis is a 118 year old vampire, so she obviously doesn't age! Also I think the sequel is set two or three years after the first film so she would be 120-121 when she has the baby.

What bothers me more is that Jonathan has not aged at all and still acts like a complete idiot.

Well, I guess it's fine given the whole vampire age thing but still.. she acts like a teenager. Both Mavis and Jonathan are so childish in their behaviour that it's really weird seeing them have a kid.

Also now that I've finished the movie.. erm.. I don't have much else to say other than it's stupid. If anyone read my status update from earlier, then you have my full thoughts. It's a stupid movie that's filled with pop culture references and music with a really lazy story and forced moral. The ending just came out of nowhere with Dennis suddenly getting vampire teeth just for the sake of it, and at the same time magically being able to transform at will and kick butt. Where did all that strength come from and how did he learn to fight? I feel the ending could've worked out much better if Dennis wasn't a vampire. They were building up to an actually good moral of loving someone no matter who they are. If Mavis had decided to live in California and raise Dennis there similarly to most human children, the message would've been so much more powerful. Dracula would have to deal with change and realise that his daughter can't be with him all the time, as she has her own life to live with many experiences to be had. Likewise with his grandson Dennis. But because this movie didn't want to have good writing, they just went the lazy way out. 

It just frustrates me how much potential this film had. The writing could've saved itself from being awful to potentially fine with a good ending. If only more people tried to write actual good scripts instead of child pandering, pop culture filled nonsense. Urgh, and what's even more frustrating is how successful this movie was, which clearly shows to the creators that they can keep making stupid films like this because apparently the general public doesn't care as long as it keeps children quiet for 90 minutes. 

shotimg39261_10.jpg

Wer

The second part is flashy and brutal with quite a few skulls being crushed and a whole bunch French policemen being dismembered. A rapidly moving violent werewolf who, despite its almost human form, goes on a killing spree in a monstrous way, leaving behind an unreal bloody trace. Despite the limited budget, the used SE's are realistic and there's never a feeling that too much CGI was used. We get a ferocious werewolf that causes a true massacre

Official trailer for Kubo and the Two Strings, next film from Laika (Coraline, Paranorman, The Boxtrolls).

Laika's stop motion talent continues to shine, oh so very much. Hope it turns out great.

• 2 weeks later...

So, yesterday I watched The Finest Hours and it was.. fine. I mean, the boat sequences were quite intense but I'm not entirely sure what even happened in a few parts. The film would often make cuts which I think according to reviews were flashbacks? It was a little hard to follow at times but the second half was quite enjoyable. At first the film was a little boring but it got progressively better. The plot was a little too light, but it is based off a true story so they can't add a whole ton of stuff. Maybe it just felt empty because the film was 2 hours long and I feel everything could have been shown in 90 minutes just fine. 

Sadly now, I can't say I recommend it that much. Then again, I do need to rewatch it to know if it's worth recommending. I had a cold and was extremely tired when I went to see it so I couldn't focus too well. My bad for going, I know, but I really wanted to see it. Still, I don't regret it or anything. I enjoyed what I saw for the most part, and the final act was quite good. The film seems to have a lot of mixed reviews though, so I guess I'm not alone in the whole "it was fine" category. 

the-pack-poster-600x888.jpg

Rather than using CGI or even animatronics, Robertson had real German Shepherds dyed black to create his villainous beasties, and it’s a simple trick that works so very well. When they attack, they do so with horrifyingly barbaric intensity, but even when they’re silently stalking their human prey, the dogs are genuinely scary and believably imposing. You never get a sense of how many are out there so you feel like they’re literally everywhere

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Deadpool on Friday. It was.. surprisingly good. Very raunchy and a bit too strong on the sexual humour, but I laughed a lot and had fun. I wish more superhero.. or ""superhero"" movies were like this one. I like it when a story doesn't take itself too seriously and only focuses on how many action scenes or CGI they can fit in it. A funny script with some self awareness is what I like most. If it's all action, it's just boring to me. So, this movie made me realise why people love Deadpool so much. He's stupid, he's insane, but he's funny. 

Then on Saturday I watched Cloud 9. Yes, it's a Disney Channel original movie, and yeahh I kinda checked it out only because Dove Cameron starred in it. But I ended up really enjoying it. It didn't feel like it was pandering to children (aside maybe one joke) and told a surprisingly good story with a very strong message. Nothing is impossible. I think I enjoyed this a lot because I could connect with the characters. And I used to go snowboarding when I was in Greece, which might sound weird but there are many mountains there and it snows heavily during winter. So this movie made me miss snowboarding a little. The message was also really great and not too hammered in. I think it's something I needed a reminder of and something most people will probably need to hear. You can do anything, as long as you set your mind to it and put in all your effort. Also the main song of the movie is amazing. So yeah, Cloud 9 was a very pleasant surprise and I feel like watching it again actually.. 

hollow-man2.jpg

For Hollow Man, visual effects artists create a photo-realistic and anatomically correct human with animation and mocap techniques.

Yeah...um, this thread has been in a pretty bad state for a long time.

In particular, I have to say that almost no post made by Applejack1973 has added any discussion value. Images, videos, links, and text copy-pasted from other sources with no context or background given do not a good discussion make, to say the least. In fact, all these posts are basically useless because without any sort of context, personal perspectives and opinions, background information, or visible relevance, how is anyone supposed to respond or get anything out of it? Such posts do virtually nothing aside from clutter up the topic.

To be clear, Applejack is not the only guilty party; I've noticed in the past that AdventChild has made many similarly non-contributive posts, although thankfully I haven't seen many recently.

If anyone makes posts like this in the future, there's definitely a possibility for disciplinary action, because frankly, this has gone on long enough.

• Thumbs Up 5

we-are-still-here-eloise-fiona-dagmar.jp

For Your Consideration: The 2016 Chainsaw Award Nominations for Best Make-Up/Creature FX

With voting season now open on the FANGORIA Chainsaw Awards, fans are putting their minds at work to select their favorites out of every potential nominee. When it came to Best Make-Up/Creature FX, the competition was fierce: THE GREEN INFERNO, VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN, WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, WYRMWOOD: ROAD OF THE DEAD, LET US PREY, SOME KIND OF HATE, CALL GIRL OF CTHULU and many more all fought nominations. Sadly, only five films could rise above the rest, nabbing the nominations and a shot at FANGORIA glory!

WE ARE STILL HERE, with FX by Marcus Koch

A proven FX guru in the indie horror community, Koch offered some of his most splattery and impressive work to date with WE ARE STILL HERE.