Awoo.

The Soundtrack Appreciation Topic

Danj86

Videogame_music.jpg

Well fancy that...a Sonic based forum has a place to discuss the awesome music of the franchise and what people like the most. But I couldn't locate one for expanding that discussion towards the entire media.

Okay, I'll have a go at it...

krtdlmike.png

So their finally here, performing for you.

If you know the words, you can join in too.

Put your hands together, it ya wanna clap.

As we take ya through, this monkey rap.

HUH!

*ahem* Excuse me...

As anybody with sense knows, the video game industry is about more than just games. pfff...what would a game be like without music?

Probably like this:

"..."

"..."

"Yay! I passed level 1...I wish this game had music..."

This next part I'm about to say, is not my opinion. It is fact! Video game music is freakin' awesome. If developers don't put equal if not, more love into a games soundtrack then they deserve to fail! Sounds harsh, but I stand by it. Just ask GLaDOS.

Hayatatatacha!

Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

If you wanna test me, I'm sure you'll find.

The things I'll teach ya, is sure to beat ya.

But nevertheless, you'll get a lesson from teacher.

​*cough* There it goes again...my apologies...

I can't be sure, but based on what I've seen, I think the proper appreciation for video game music has started fairly recently...maybe like...in the past 6 or 8 years...I had never seen an Original Soundtrack CD(OST) before, back in the day...it's ridiculous for me to think that an OST made it onto a Compact Cassette. *Pause while all younger members wonder what the heck a "Compact Cassette" is* I got sidetracked there...the point I was trying to make is that if there is a game you like the soundtrack of, there is a strong chance that you'll be able to find an OST CD to buy along with it as well.

I think it is now that time of the post where I share my personal favourite track from the 20 something years of back cataloged games, and let me tell you, it ain't easy...I can't remember what I gave for the 100 themed challenge and it would take several hours locate it.

This was a triumph.

I'm making a note here: Huge Success

​It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Aperture Science.

We do wha- gah!

Darn it...I'm doing it again...

Enough fooling around! Here's my final choice!!

As tempting as it is to choose a more recent song, I decided to go for a classic that I still enjoy after lots of years have passed.

I can't really be sure why I find it so catchy, or why I have never tired of it. I can play tetris for hours (if I'm lucky) with this song playing and it won't ever bother me. A puzzle game does need something catchy that won't get tiresome as most puzzle games won't end until you fail. And I think this tune did an excellent job at that.

Honorable mention:

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness; Ode to Laharl

Sonic 3D Blast/Sega Saturn; Special Stage

Bonanza Bros; Stage 1

Sonic Adventure; Lazy Dayz ~Livin in Paradise~

So, assuming I didn't make a big mistake with this topic that requires it to be locked.

What are your opinions of video game soundtracks from today to back in the day? What's your favourite tune? What game do you think has the best all round soundtrack? How important do you think VG soundtrack is?

And remember boys and girls, the mods dislike boring lists. They would prefer sharing reasons why you love a certain track, rather then listing several you like and never mention why.

And to be honest, I prefer that too.

250px-Tdkc60cassette.jpg

This is a Compact Cassette. lol

• Thumbs Up 4

There's one soundtrack I appreciate over all others.

Sonic CD [JP]

The idea of an overlying theme for a stage that changed in style and composition to fit the time zone is just genius to me. The soundtrack executed this idea very well, as all of the time zone variations have their own style but still retain the same general theme. The sad thing to me is that not enough games try gimmicks with their music. The music in Sonic CD felt like it changed as much as the time zones they represented. I wish more games would make their music more interactive in some way.

But that's not all!

Sonic Rush

I can't stress enough how much I LOVE Hideki Naganuma's composing style. I've heard a number of soundtracks, and his sample-heavy music is very distinct. While I love his work on Jet Set Radio and Future, my favorite soundtrack of his is Sonic Rush. Every level track makes me wanna dance, especially ones like

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhq0IpvyMQk. Sadly, Blaze's track variations are just a step above awful, but that's because they were handled by a different composer. Still, all of the other tracks make the soundtrack well worth the appreciation.

Edited by Hatsune Miku

Other than Sonic I'm going to go with the soundtrack of the Mother Series & the Jet Set Radio series.

Keiichi Suzuki and Hirokazu Tanaka took inspiration from popular music like John Lennon and different genres of music. The music featured in Mother (especially 2 and 3) have that “pop culture” sound and does not sound like what one might expect from video games.

And what can I say about Jet Set Radio series other than it was hip, funky, and groovy and to be honest I have never heard anything like it before. It really sounds like I was in this world where Graffiti vandals skated around Tokyo-to being chased by cops who were not afraid of using lethal force on you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if I had to choose just one soundtrack it would be really hard for me, so here are my choices:

Jet set radio and Jet set radio future: I love these soundtracks so much it really gives me a good mood when playing the games and fits the gameplay so well, I love almost all songs. I never had a sensation like I did when playing the final boss of jet set radio future, I merged with music of that boss I was playing as one with the music it was amazing.

All Halo games: the music in the halo franchise is just epic, when I start to hear the tunes at the beginning of the game you feel like you are entering in an epic adventure, and the music just explodes when in the middle of the fight. It goes with the action so well.

Final Fantasy VII: the music from this game always sounded amazing for me, from the start with that awesome opening music to the theme of Sephiroth(every time I hear I feel the anger and evil fom the character) to the smooth music of the "world map" and costa del sol, just every part of the game as an lovely music.

The world ends with you: Amazing game, amazing music. When I was in battle I just felt a huge adrenaline thanks to the music, and then you could relax while in the cutscenes listening to amazing tunes. This soundtracks feels so alive that contrasts with the game theme(death), but it contrasts in a good. Makes you see try to look a the positive side of things.

There are still a lot o game soundtracks that I like but these are my main ones, besides some sonic ones.

I still listen to these daily and gives me great joy.

Edited by redhellc
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure is my favorite soundtrack ever, but there's another game that comes pretty damn close.

Metroid Prime has a large assortment of atmospheric, action-packed, creepy, and downright gorgeous tracks. One of the main reasons I love it so much is because every song supports the tone of the area you're exploring, but at the same time they are also very catchy and memorable.

It's hard to explain, but these songs just do such a great job of combining styles to build atmosphere. They often feature very spacey, techno-ish instruments to give a sci-fi feel, while incorporating vocal choruses to reinforce the nature of the ancient civilizations that inhabited the planets you explore. It's one of the things I like most about Metroid; it may have a sci-fi setting, but rarely do you get hit over the head with complicated words and convoluted explanations. Instead, they focus on the beauty of the environment and let you soak in the atmosphere, mainly leaving the technobabble for optional scan data that the players can discover at their own pace. Except the most recent game which will go unnamed.

The music in Prime (and most of the other games) greatly supports the feeling of isolation, discovery, and (yet again) atmosphere that the series is known for. And, on top of that, they are just kickass songs in their own right.

• 1 year later...

BUMP!

I've wanted to make this post for quite the while, but never actually bothered hunting down this thread... but now that I have, here we are.

Two soundtracks I'd like to give appreciation to today...

Jet+Set+Radio+OST+Jet_grind_radio_GM588.41pvfdhv-UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nothing other than the Jet Set Radio duo.

Famous for Hideki Naganuma's contributions, the JSR series features music composed by others as well, in particular Richard Jacques, Reps, Castle Logical, F-Fields, Toronto, B.B.Rights, Cold, Deavid Soul, Guitar Vader, Idol Taxi, Jurassic 5, Mixmaster Mike, Professional Murder Music and Rob Zombie.

Whilst I completely understand all the credit Naganuma receives for his tracks, the other tracks in these two soundtracks are, in my opinion, ridiculously underlooked.

Let's listen to some Richard Jacques...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4JEpbHEuuM

"JUMP AROUND, JUMP AROUND, JUMP AROUND NOW! JUMP UP, JUMP UP, N' GET DOWN!"

*cough*

...and some Reps, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0LXftRtWU

"OH I CAN SEE THEM RUNNIN' 'BOUT THE TOWN, I CAN HEAR THEM ALL SAY, BADABABADA

DOOWAP DOOWAP LISTEN TO THE MUSIC DOOWAP DOOWAP DOO"

These tracks are beautiful in my opinion, yet, since they're not composed by Naganuma, they're usually rather ignored, which is a shame.

However, I'm not gonna undermine the man here... let's give him credit too.

"HIGH N' A WINNER, PAY THE FRONT LINE, TAKE THE DON'TS!

HE'S COMIN' OUT FO' A NEW POINT, GET YER BETS DOWN LADIES N' GENTLEMEN!"

Funky Dealer is easily currently one of my all-time favourite video game tracks. The instrumentation, choices of samples, nearly everything is perfect.

Really, when it comes down to it, if a new Jet Set Radio was announced, I'd definitely be looking forward to the soundtrack the most. It's that great.

• Thumbs Up 3

Favourite track in Xenoblade Chronicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweRl4LZlmo

That first moment after coming through the Tephra Cave and stepping onto the Bionis Leg, greeted by one of the most spectacular map areas I've every seen in a video game both in terms of scope and artistic design and topped off with this truly fantastic theme made for one of my most memorable gaming moments.  This theme to this day still fills me with this sense of adventure.  That feeling that you can do anything and that the world is in the palm of your hand.  And then you get owned by the giant lvl 80 gorilla and then move on with your life.  But still it's at that point where you truly know this is going to be an epic adventure.

There are about 3 or 4 more out of this game's outstanding soundtrack that I'd like to give mention to but not now.

• Thumbs Up 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Da2LZPnia8

That haunting melody, the feeling of impending doom. It's horrifying. I love it and it just gives that feeling of dread, you can imagine how the citizens of Clock Town feel knowing they're all going to die with some viciously denying it, staying by their posts in disbelief that the world is going to end. Worst part about the track is when it finally ends, you see a cutscene where everyone dies as the moon crushes the town.

For a little special adding on, I'll stick up Theophany's fantastic real instrumental track which is among many of their fantastic tracks:

I'll probably come back to this topic later with some more, I love soundtracks so much.

• 1 year later...

Wow, this bump will be a thing. The YouTube embed limit is five, so let's start with that.

15a91e6062a6f2105efd824528e8768e.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULBaITE_bkE

If this is what acid jazz is, Shoji Meguro, take me on a fucking journey, because I really love this track, the keyboard is great, the guitar in the middle is super good and that bassline.

Best track in the Sanic franchise, I really love the beat and energy in this track, it's super upbeat and fun to listen to.

Misty Lake's violin is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper fucking good. Holy shit.

If this isn't the best track in Sonic and the Secret Rings, you need to leave the fandom, and re-evaluated your choice and taste in music.

Why don't people like Cash Cash again? Cash Cash's remixes for the series are fucking incredible. The drop in this track is phenomenal.

• Thumbs Up 3

So happy I found this thread. Now, I'll be able to gush about some of the music some from of my favorite Kirby games. Because y'know..

KIRBY, KIRBY, KIRBY, THAT'S A NAME YOU SHOULD KNOW.

KIRBY, KIRBY, KIRBY, HE'S THE STAR OF THE SHOW

Kirby 64 is as of far my favorite game in the series (though I haven't played the lauded Super Star and Return to Dream Land, so we'll see if that changes), and on top of that, has some of the best music in the entire series as well. Everything is just so catchy and memorable in this game, and Rock Star's theme never fails to leave my head, even to the point of humming it unconsciously. Kirby Air Ride also had a remix of this track, which I'd even go as far to say is better than this one!

I don't care what y'all have got to say about this game, I fucking adore Kirby's Epic Yarn. Goes to show how I've gone through the trouble link more than just one track here because I love it so much. It may play a lot differently from other Kirby games, but it's by no means bad. It's so endlessly charming and cute throughout, and it's just one of those games that makes me feel like a little kid again. As usual for the Kirby series, the music is just so, so good. Even if it's in a different mold by having a mostly piano-oriented soundtrack, it's nonetheless still beautiful. The staff credits are just so calming as well, like seriously.

Kirby Air Ride was my first Kirby game, so I have a lot of fond memories and nostalgia for it. I still play it on Dolphin now and then, and it's still a genuinely great game that really, really deserves a sequel; Sakurai or no Sakurai. Believe it or not, Checker Knights, as much as awesome its music is (DAT TRUMPET, SON), it's not from the game, but it's actually from the Kirby anime: Hoshii no Kabii! (or Kirby of the Stars if translated, and for y'all who probably had seen it on air when it was around, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!) It's only a part of the utterly fantastic music composed by Akira Miyagawa for the show, which you can listen to all here.

Brawl has one of the best soundtracks to any game in my opinion, with both stellar original music and remixes. The Legendary Air Ride remix in that game is miles better than the original, I still have it playing in the background whenever I'm on Halberd in Smash 4. 

And now for the last one, 'cos this post is getting kinda long:

Fountain of Dreams may just be a orchestral remix of Gourmet Race, but it's a damn good one. Playing on the FoD stage in either Melee or Project M just gets me so pumped up every time. <3 This particular track originated from Nightmare in Dream Land (if I remember correctly?), but even in its limitation to the GBA soundfont, it still sounds really nice!

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice that I've found another topic for soundtrack appreciation.  Anyway this post is kind of an evolution of a certain theme over the years starting in the year 2004:

This is just the first version of the 24 Hours of Spa theme from GTR courtesy of Dr. Stephen Baystead and for setting the mood for an endurance race is does a really good job plus the ambient noises really help set the mood. The guitar really helps sell it.

Fast forward to 2006 with the follow up game GTR 2 and this is where I first got my taste of Mr. Baystead's work.  The theme gets taken to another level and sets the mood for another endurance race with the peaks and valleys as the race goes on with the weather of the Eiffel Mountains playing a key role.

Fast forward to 2015 and this is one of the most recent iterations of the 24 Hours of Spa theme but this time the guitars and drums are a bit more toned down in favor of a more cinematic style score. It still sets the mood quite well but I think it lost the intensity in the process. (sorry about the UI noise that the user made.)

This version has the intensity that I believe was lost in the score that is currently in use in Project CARS with the guitars and drums bringing it together.  Man I was blown away.

Freedom Planet's soundtrack is my waifu. Like, 10/10 would marry and have wedding ceremony tier waifu

i even have a body pillow that has this soundtrack on it

Anyway, yeahh. This soundtrack just really comes together in its entirety to make the experience of playing the game something genuinely special. It manages to fit the setting, the individual level design, and the gameplay itself in a perfect balance to where it doesn't overwhelm those three elements, but instead it adds a nice flavour to it. For example, running up and down the big city with fireworks and fake dragons wouldn't have felt so unique and special if it didn't have this going in the background.

It's a beautiful city with a lot of oriental themed buildings and festivities going on in the background, but all in all it's nothing distinct - it's good. What makes this level so great is the music that plays as you progress through the city - it's fitting, fast paced, and upbeat, but it's also incredibly strong on it's own merit and manages to sound not only fun, but like it's something unique. I just smile hearing it, honestly. It's stuff like this that forges fond memories of videogames.

And quite literally every single track in the videogame has that same effect in combination with the level design and as a standalone piece. It's just really beautiful, honestly.

I especially like this one personally, because it sounds like something that'd go great on a Rouge level in a Sonic game. That whole level would've been great for her actually, I think.

Even then, though, that isn't something I thought of until I was listening to it outside of the game in a YT video. When I was playing this game, I was so enamored with the setting and the music that was playing. I felt legitimately badass jumping from wall to wall in the Red Scarf hideout as Carol. Just great in almost every regard, really. 

I would marry this soundtrack. It makes my heart feel kind of sugarcoated, you know? I will always fondly remember the adventure that was my playthrough of Freedom Planet, and the music is enough to make me feel a bit emotional. Just modern masterpieces, really. Every track in the game is great, too, by the way - ask me to single out a favorite and you'll be left sorely disappointed.

God, this soundtrack is just so fucking amazing <3 

• 2 weeks later...

There's just something about Sam and Max's soundtrack that's mysterious, fitting, and filled with so many musical tones.

My favorite out of all 3 of the seasons is the First Season though:

(Full OST)

There's just something about simple jazz that really gets me moving.

A few favorites:

The real kicker is this song though, this is the real gem: A Fun musical note of insane weirdness and war.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky had some really great tracks. These are a few of my favourites!

Dark Ice Mountain:

Temporal Tower:

Vast Ice Mountain Peak:

• Thumbs Up 1

d108cb2b3b25d112e7ebf72795d2946d.jpg

Yeah, Holly's gonna be talking about this game again.

Hey, I can't help it. Any opportunity I have to gush about any aspect of my favorite video you damn well better believe I'm taking it!

So, the sountrack. First off, it was composeed by Koji Kondo, who is responsible for the music in much of Nintendo's games. I've you've played a Nintendo game at length, you've no doubt heard some of his music.

And his work on Yoshi's Island is by far a favorite of mine.

Though there are a relative few tracks among 54-60 levels, the songs chosen for each one still happens the fit the theme of the stage;

-Bright, light-hearted romps have the Flower Garden theme;

-Stages with a lot going on at once have the Athletic theme;

Fun fact. When I was a kid, I would actually make up lyrics to this song. Cheesy, nonsensical lyrics that only a five year-old can get away with. Don't judge me!

Levels with a tropical theme or ones with what I like to call a 'deep woods' theme (such as 'Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy' and the begining of 'What's Gusty Taste Like?') have the Overworld theme;

The Castle and Fortress theme used for, well, the castles and fortress levels give you a sense of foreboding, foreshadowing the fact that you're about to go up against an especially tough opponent.

But my favorite is the Underground theme that is played in most of the cave levels;

I've always been a fan of darker-toned music in video games and this one is no exception. It sounds so omnious and depressing, like you're trapped and trying to find a way out. It subtly gives a sense of hopelessness, which is a dark contrast to the rest of the game. Yet it still manages to fit alongside the other songs. That's good composing right there.

Shame that the other two Yoshi's Island games didn't have near as good a soundtrack. Maybe Woolly World will fix that.

• Thumbs Up 1