What kind of bosses do you want to fight?
Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:01 AM
While I enjoy a good running boss as much as the next guy, I feel like there's a ton of untapped potential here. I want battles running ON the boss. I want to fight entire battleships/atlas-sized robots at once, dodging fire like a madman before attacking individual weakpoints all over the ship/robot before bringing the whole thing down in a glorious, fiery explosion of victory. I want to really feel like Eggman is GENUINELY trying to take my pointy blue hedgehog down, and putting everything he has into it.
I want to fight Metal Sonic at the speed of sound before I fight the final boss. Metal Sonic blasts ahead of you, and you have to catch up with your metallic twin by flawlessly completing mini-stages, like in the 360 Dark Gaia battle. Once you catch him, you homing attack him to engage, which isn't as easy as it sounds, because Metal Sonic is just as capable of the Homing Attack (and deflecting it) as you, and he's not just going to sit there and take it. He turns around, catches you with his claws, then you do some quick hand-to-hand stuff (QTE), before stomping Metal's head into the ground and dealing some damage. From that point on, it's you avoiding Metal's HAs, trying to get in attacks of your own, and keeping up, all while tearing through Eggman's base at the speed of friggin' sound.
And, yes, I want some classic-style boss battles. Not particularly Generations Death Egg Robot classic, but I want some Sonic Rush-inspired, circular battlefields, with big n' nasty Dr. R creations in the middle, trying to fuck Sonic's shit all kinds of up.
What kind of bosses would you guys like to see?
Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:08 AM
If more bosses took place in hilly terrain and encourage the use of the roll - and if in 3D, take advantage of wide-turn drifting to get a distance set where you can boost with the right speed to cause damage - I would not be disappointed.
Edited by Qwilfish, 22 July 2012 - 05:11 AM.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:46 AM
*videos of every other boss fight in Generations HD except the Egg Dragoon*
Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:16 AM
"I'M THE MOTHERFUCKING EGGMAN FOOL!"
I'm talking about the Sonic 3 & Knuckles Final boss.
You've just defeating eggman's computer controlled mech, and now you have access to him. As you attempt to run at him, it's to late. He's entered a Goliath of a machine. The floor behind you crumbles as the machine rises. You don't even see whether or not the thing has legs or not. You feel the ground shaking after ever movement it takes towards you.
The boss itself isn't terrible difficult though. So that mighty entrance he has might just be for show. But if Eggman could just improve this boss, Make it stronger and have more attacks, then this could be the ultimate Sonic (final)boss.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:32 AM
Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:33 AM
Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:20 AM
Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:35 AM
A 2D arena boss
A 3D arena boss
A 2D chase boss
A 3D chase boss
A circular arena boss
A "level" boss (i.e. Dark Gaia/Perfect Chaos 2011)
...You know what basically do what Sonic Rush Adventure did. That game had amazingly fun and varied bosses.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:41 AM
A boss should make you think three things:
1) How am I suppose to damage the boss?
2) How do I (Sonic) stay alive?
3) How many hits does it take?
Edited by MilesKnightwing, 22 July 2012 - 08:42 AM.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:49 AM
I also want to see Sonic to fight a robot (perferrably Metal Sonic)with a super(-esque) form like Super Mecha Sonic (Super Sonic or regular Sonic, it doesn't matter to me):
Edited by Miku Hatsune, 22 July 2012 - 01:57 PM.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:54 AM
Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:08 AM
Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:15 AM
SCRAP THE SUPERSONIC FINAL BOSS.
Here's a little report I wrote a while back about it. (It's big)
Edited by Paradox, 22 July 2012 - 10:19 AM.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:52 AM
Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:43 PM
Anyway, I want a boss fight/escape just like in Unleashed's intro. I want to see that level of determination from Eggman, instead of 'Whoops, I missed. Hit my weakpoint!'
And how about a giant one you destroy from the inside? The cables and wires could form as grind rails, and you have to get into the robot by sliding through a vent.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:25 PM
Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:34 PM
I think there is another option, though, although it's not suited to the present "boss stage" trend. Remember Marble Garden Zone Act 2, where you would repeatedly encounter Eggman and be able to attack his machine before the boss battle? I'd like to see something like that again - an enemy who appears repeatedly throughout the level, perhaps even semi-randomised, and who you gradually wear down. And unlike in MGZ, those hits before the final encounter actually count - the more you press it before the final encounter, the easier it is at the end.
Character boss battles are a bit different - more plot-dependent and interaction-dependent. I'm a supporter, but they have to make sense, and not just be a fight rather than a conversation because the game designers needed a boss battle. Although conceivably you could do both... have the characters continue to exchange verbal blows throughout the battle, and the battle can end either when you score sufficient hits, or when the scripted argument reaches its conclusion. Again, though, that's a plot device, and outside of a good context I'm sure I see people objecting to it.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:37 PM
- No Adventure/Adventure /06 style character battles. Those were complete shit. SA1's in particular were an absolute joke and are quite possibly some of the most pathetic boss battles in the history of gaming. Generations executed it much better, each character battle having they're own unique gimmick and attacks. Silver's in particular was a really cool in Generations. At the same time, they could use a little more complexity in the way that you attack them. Usually it's just homing attack at an opening. I think there should be a little more, but at the same time I don't quite know what.
- Don't have an over-abundance of one kind of boss. Unleashed was really criminal to this. Pretty much all of Sonic's bosses were him chasing down one of Eggman's mechs. There really should only be one (at a stretch two) battle(s) like this. Variety is the spice of life and varied bosses makes for a more fun experience like Rush Adventure and Generations.
- Don't have the mini bosses from S3&K. Most people would object to this but honestly I thought they were all a pointless waste of time. They were all extremely generic and bland in their design and they don't even do anything really interesting. Though to the credit of the S3&K bosses they were refreshingly challenging unlike the bosses from the previous games. So yeah, bosses should also be a little more challenging like that. Start easy, then get harder as you progress.
- No Super Sonic as the main final boss. I don't feel I need to explain why. Paradox put it very eloquently so just read that reply.
- I'd quite like to see more giant bosses. Like Shadow of the Colossus size goliaths that Sonic has to physically run and platform up to reach various weakpoints on the body. I think that would be pretty cool to see. In this day and age I feel a lot of platformers need to have a sense of spectacle to their bosses. A sense of flair and style to make them memorable. And quite a simple way of doing that is by simply making them huge.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:49 PM
Edited by The Conductor, 22 July 2012 - 01:51 PM.
Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:56 PM
I'm going to say something maybe a bit contraversal.
SCRAP THE SUPERSONIC FINAL BOSS.
Here's a little report I wrote a while back about it. (It's big)Spoiler
Sonic Colors (Wii ver.) didn't have a Super Sonic final boss.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users