Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

I was going to reply to that post too, but I think I'd been to the boozer and couldn't quite type properly when I saw it :)

As with all games, we recorded the commentary quite early on, so we recorded more than we planned to use, with some alternatives in case we made any late changes. Some things didn't make it into the game, or made it in but in a different form.

The rivals one is quite interesting, what we *used* to do is have each character having a defined rival, so of course as Sonic, your rival would be Eggman. If you beat them in a GP, you'd get something extra. In the end we took this out as it wasn't massively intuitive or clear, though... It still will give you a few extra miles even now for beating Eggman as Sonic in a race (or indeed any of the rivals we picked!)

If you're expecting the un-used commentary to be used for DLC though, you're barking up the wrong tree :P

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 2

Does that make Amigo and Aiai rivals? Monkey versus monkey!

Cool concept, though I could see how it wouldn't work for all characters. Beat's rival is... Ryo? Because they're both Japanese but Beat is a hooligan and Ryo is a goodie two shoes?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, that was part of the problem, it's not immediately clear for some characters who their rival would be...

Ryo though has Jacky and Akira as his rivals, all martial artists, you see. You're right about Samba and AiAi though :P I can't remember off the top of my head who we had Beat have as a rival. Bear in mind of course, we considered these friendly rivalries :P

Reverse tracks were something we originally planned to do, but as you've probably guessed, most of the tracks wouldn't work the other way around due to some the jumps. We decided to focus on making them all fun the right way around! So if you do grab those VO clips that TSSZ has rather cheekily posted, now you know why :)

---

S0L

---

• Thumbs Up 1

The rivals one is quite interesting, what we *used* to do is have each character having a defined rival, so of course as Sonic, your rival would be Eggman. If you beat them in a GP, you'd get something extra. In the end we took this out as it wasn't massively intuitive or clear, though... It still will give you a few extra miles even now for beating Eggman as Sonic in a race (or indeed any of the rivals we picked!)

Is that partially why you get that Sonic Says message that says something about getting bonus miles for doing specific things mid race?

You guys at Sumo should save the Rivals feature as the selling point for a sequel if you ever make one, have a picture of Sonic and Eggman staring at eachother angrily on the cover of the game :lol:

Thinking about the rivals mode and the original stock characters, each one of them does have a rival of sorts in the game. Theres not really one character that I can think of that doesn't have a rival in the game.

That reminds me of the Sonic CD EU cover. A Sonic & Sega All-Stars Fighters would make for a great "head to head" shot of Sonic & Eggie.

Actually, my memory might be wrong here, but I'm sure that when I'd not long had the game, I was playing as Sonic and drove alongside Shadow, and the two started sort of... bickering/ flailing their arms at each other?

Has anyone else had this, and do these funny sort of interactions happen with other characters? Or was I just imagining it? D:

You guys at Sumo should save the Rivals feature as the selling point for a sequel if you ever make one, have a picture of Sonic and Eggman staring at eachother angrily on the cover of the game :lol:

Totally agree, also, it's something that hasn't been done in Mario Kart (quick, make a sequel before nintendo steals your idea) :o

Thinking about the rivals mode and the original stock characters, each one of them does have a rival of sorts in the game. Theres not really one character that I can think of that doesn't have a rival in the game.

Banjo & Kazooie/Avatar/Mii.

That reminds me of the Sonic CD EU cover. A Sonic & Sega All-Stars Fighters would make for a great "head to head" shot of Sonic & Eggie.

The problem would be that Sonic is taking a lot of the cover, I would use Alex Kidd instead of Eggman, I think there is a grudge between then >_>

Also, I would love if we could stop this "That Site that Shall not be Zetta named" bashing, it doesn't makes us look better than their site D: (not trying to do backseat modding, just feel like is not a good idea to bring drama to "the awesome ASR thread of candy and 1970 trousers").

Edited by imarafan

My guess for the rivals:

Sonic - Eggman (obvious)

AiAi - Amigo (monkeys)

Opa Opa - Alex Kidd (retro)

Ryo - Jakira (martial artists)

Ulala - Beat (music)

Chu Chus - Big (cat and mouse)

Tails - Knuckles (sidekicks)

Amy - Billy (smashing eggs with hammers)

Bonanza Bros - Zobio & Zobiko (doubles)

BD Joe - Shadow (black >_>)

Actually, my memory might be wrong here, but I'm sure that when I'd not long had the game, I was playing as Sonic and drove alongside Shadow, and the two started sort of... bickering/ flailing their arms at each other?

Has anyone else had this, and do these funny sort of interactions happen with other characters? Or was I just imagining it? D:

Nope, I've had 'em too, mate! :)

My first review mentioned a moment I overtook Dr. Eggman as Sonic. Without firing a weapon or anything, Eggman shook his fist at Sonic and growled "Why you little...!" It was just a simple overtake, I hadn't shot him or put down mines or anything. I loved it, made me roar with laughter!

That's the epitome of the character that makes this game stand out.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing stated to have a Japanese release? Or will they just have to import/download it? Sega Superstars Tennis never had a JPN-release proper, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

On a somewhat related note, will we ever get Sega Splash! Golf?

001.jpg

026.jpg

Apparently Robo is not only a great racer, but he makes a great putter as well.

Edited by HunterTSF

My guess for the rivals:

BD Joe - Shadow (black >_>)

lulz

You're other guesses seem pretty accurate too, so it probably would have turned out that way.

I'm a big fan of Aurora Icefield myself.

But really though, just patch the PS3 version for custom soundtracks, please. :<

Edited by Dat Cute Cat Guy

AHHHHHHHHHH FUCK I CAN'T STOP PLAYING THE DEMO.

Why did you make this game so damn addicting S0L? Whhhy.

I mean, I'll play Mario Kart a bit, but it's kinda bland, especially compared to this. Great game, really. Also Banjo and Kazooie's speed is ridiculous seeing as their car is called the "Bolt Bucket". What is this making anyone faster than Sonic? WHAT IS THIS.

AHHHHHHHHHH FUCK I CAN'T STOP PLAYING THE DEMO.

Why did you make this game so damn addicting S0L? Whhhy.

I mean, I'll play Mario Kart a bit, but it's kinda bland, especially compared to this. Great game, really. Also Banjo and Kazooie's speed is ridiculous seeing as their car is called the "Bolt Bucket". What is this making anyone faster than Sonic? WHAT IS THIS.

It's because Sonic's speed is in his boosting.

It's because Sonic's speed is in his boosting.

I was joking. D:

Is my humor that dry? I knew it was dry but MAN.

Anyways, I haven't seen a Sonic game where his Speed stats aren't though the roof. Kind of a nice change, since the drift boost is a primary speed gain anyways.

Anyways, I haven't seen a Sonic game where his Speed stats aren't though the roof. Kind of a nice change, since the drift boost is a primary speed gain anyways.

If you want to count the SA2 Kart racer, than you could say that Shadow's unlockable wheels puts Sonic (and everyone else) to shame when it comes to top end performance. Its not even close actually.

.... then you could count Battle, where Shadow once again was the speed king.

Are any DS players having trouble finding random players online?

It was fine for me at first, but I seem to be having a bit of trouble now. Granted I did try late last night and early this morning. Considering the DS version is getting the least love online, maybe it's just normal. D:

The Wii version isn't particularly good when it comes to random online encounters either. I'd be lucky enough to even find 1 player during the morning that is actually willing to race and not flee from the room (what, scared because I'm high up the charts on Jump Parade? I just want a friggin' race -_-).

Most of the time I just resort to Friend games. If it doesn't work then I just go do a 9-Lap Single Race with weird conditions like No Drift (actually I haven't tried this yet in SSASR, but I used to do it often in MKDS for example :P).

Edited by MickX