Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

I just wanted to ask a question. I'm hoping to get this game at some point in the near future and was planning on using Tails as my main. Is Tails a good choice as a character or will I get beaten alot if I use him? I've heard from some people that he is one of the best chracters in the game but I've heard from other people that he (along with the other flying characters) are some of the worst characters in the game.

I just wanted to ask a question. I'm hoping to get this game at some point in the near future and was planning on using Tails as my main. Is Tails a good choice as a character or will I get beaten alot if I use him? I've heard from some people that he is one of the best chracters in the game but I've heard from other people that he (along with the other flying characters) are some of the worst characters in the game.

For the most part characters/vehicles in this game are very well balanced across all versions, it comes down to practice and which type of vehicle you're good with. You'll see online that alot of people play as different characters except when it comes to Shadow who most lobby hosts snatch as they seem to think he's the best but just wait until you kick their ass. I main Aiai who is in a car as I love the character and do better with cars though I have been practicing with different characters/vehicles so I can add some variety to my races online or with family and friends. So my advice is to give Tails a whirl(plane pun intended :lol: ) and see how you do.

I use a flying sort of character very frequently - Opa-Opa. The difference I have found is that they feel a bit more "floaty" when turning but have extremely good turning circles and quick acceleration. They do lack in boost and in top speed to compromise this however, so on a course with a lot of straights they will always be beaten by a car user, i.e. Sonic, unless you are able to "snake" and get in lots of tiny boosts on top of the larger ones (rather like a bike user can by doing wheelies). Tails is harder to do this with than Opa-Opa as his vehicle is larger, but he has a statistical non-boost top speed to compete with Sonic regardless so he's not at -too- much of a disadvantage. He also boosts faster than Sonic does, so on a course with quick turns he will charge his boost faster than Sonic and get away quicker with a higher level boost.

The game has balanced out the characters well. The faster characters have worse handling and a longer boost charge time but the boost lasts longer, whereas the slower characters have better handling and a much faster charge time but it doesn't last as long. Tails is a good starter character and is well balanced with good handling, but you may find that your choice of character style evolves as you get used to the game. Don't worry too much about who you want to play as. You'll get used to your characters quirks soon enough and be at no advantage or disadvantage compared to any other character. :)

I have to disagree with the balancing Nemain. It's the Bikes that potentially break this game...and sonic

Fully agreed. Extra boosting ability in place of normal speed and recovery times is a terrible cop-out.

For the most part characters/vehicles in this game are very well balanced across all versions, it comes down to practice and which type of vehicle you're good with. You'll see online that alot of people play as different characters except when it comes to Shadow who most lobby hosts snatch as they seem to think he's the best but just wait until you kick their ass.

A friend of mine bought the game, he thought precisely that Shadow was game breakingly good and that half of the other characters sucked. I asked what the wost was and he said "Amy."

Guess who's ass I kicked, playing as guess who.

Oh, and having played the demo constantly for the last two months, I am now just as good as you people who have owned it from day one.

Which is great for making people think you suck.

Amy isn't the worst, I've won tons of races with her. I think it moreso depends on the person playing.

Though I do have problems when I try with flying characters, I wanna see how Metal handles.

Okay, I've run into a very bizarre problem with the online mode on the DS version.

Basically, on the rare occasion I actually find anyone, the game just seems to freeze either in the lobby or the character select screen. It happened yesterday (made it to the character select screen twice, then crashed), and just now I found a few people, only for it to end up freezing in the lobby.

I'll admit I did make the mistake of attempting to get online via another DS< but I stopped and went back before I lost all my friend codes and whatnot.

EDIT: Just managed to find a race and it went okay. Still a bit odd that I had those errors to begin with, though.

Edited by Mahzes

Seems the console and handheld versions has it's own share of online problems.

With the PS3 version, i've found that the race would sometimes just never end, forcing the host to just quit the room. I've also noticed one time I couldn't even obtain any items, nor use any wheelies on a bike.

Not entirely sure if the 360 version gets the same problems, or any different ones. But I feel these need to fixed, they can be troublesome at times.

So then fellow PS3 owners... is anyone going to buy the premium theme when it's released?

I was reading around and found a picture that some people might like;

VMANASRsmall.png

:P

Oh god want so bad.

Shame he 'doesn't fit in with the colourful cast we were aiming for'. Crazy Sumo and their crazy ideals.

So then fellow PS3 owners... is anyone going to buy the premium theme when it's released?

That depends on what it looks like, hopefully a kind person will upload a preview to YouTube so we can bask in its glory before we buy. I've got about £2 in the PSN wallet, but I might save it for something more substantial. Premium themes lose their charm after a while for me, the two themes that I've got have little variety in their backgrounds.

Sequel?

Apparently the game is getting a sequel with characters absent from this game, just found this video called '7 Things You Should Know About Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing' from 18th Feb at WatchMojo where the reporter at the end in the 7th thing 'Multiplatform Extras and Future Additions' says SEGA have hinted that characters from other games in their library are being saved for the games sequel.

http://www.watchmojo.com/index.php?id=7878

Like I said in over at the SEGA Boards, it could be, but it could just be "wrongly wording" DLC.

Anyway if this game does get a Sequel with alot of other characters great, (VYSE >.>) but I for one am not taking this as 100% confirmation.

Also that video reminded did also say you could buy art with Sega Miles, guess that never got in.

Like I said in over at the SEGA Boards, it could be, but it could just be "wrongly wording" DLC.

Anyway if this game does get a Sequel with alot of other characters great, (VYSE >.>) but I for one am not taking this as 100% confirmation.

Also that video reminded did also say you could buy art with Sega Miles, guess that never got in.

You're Xtreme Starfox at the SEGA Forums? *mind blown a thousand times over*

Would have loved unlockable art, credited you in my TSS article for pointing that bit out that seemed to drift over me as I watched it. I'm not taking this as confirmation either, just thought I'd put it out there.

I'm surprised my winning the Ryo figure hasn't made front page news. :angry:

I'm joking of course ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm joking of course ;)

We don't want to be accused of favouritism with our members :lol: We wuv ya really and congrats ;) There were only so many made right? Very collectible, they'll be worth mega bucks down the line.

You're Xtreme Starfox at the SEGA Forums? *mind blown a thousand times over*

Would have loved unlockable art, credited you in my TSS article for pointing that bit out that seemed to drift over me as I watched it. I'm not taking this as confirmation either, just thought I'd put it out there.

Yep, I'm really no longer a Star Fox fan so thus I use another name now.

Also yeah, it's good info in any case.

I'm joking of course ;)

Grats. =P

Have you received it yet or just you've been told you've won?

We don't want to be accused of favouritism with our members :lol: We wuv ya really and congrats ;) There were only so many made right? Very collectible, they'll be worth mega bucks down the line.

Ha! Just to set things straight, I was totally joking about not being featured in a news story. :) I will, however, be taking pics and posting them over at Sega Memories. The Sonic Stadium community blog is welcome to share the pics. I'll take one of the Werehog being forklifted to make it Sonic related. :P

I'm interested to see if any other SSMB members who won will crawl out of the woodwork. The prize was limited to 1,000. America was given 875, Sega Europe 50 and Canada 75. I'm sure one or two made it to certain Sumo members. ;)

Grats. =P

Have you received it yet or just you've been told you've won?

I was told I won via a phone call from a rep at the promotional firm that Sega is working with. They said I had til Thursday to call back. I already called and left a message as they requested, but I plan to call again and again until I get a real person. Last thing I want is to have it slip through the cracks.

Don't worry I knew you were kidding Doctor Eggman, look forward to the pics and forklifting Werehog sounds hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Um....

ummm....

Hey.

Guess who won this:

I'm quite jealous of your acquisition, sadly as you mentioned in another post they weren't easy to get in Europe. Also a good use of Laurel and Hardy, Stan Laurel was a local celebrity around here. :)

Sadly I can't seem to find any character ASR figures for purchase, but they'd probably be quite expensive anyway.

I'm quite jealous of your acquisition, sadly as you mentioned in another post they weren't easy to get in Europe. Also a good use of Laurel and Hardy, Stan Laurel was a local celebrity around here. :)

Sadly I can't seem to find any character ASR figures for purchase, but they'd probably be quite expensive anyway.

Wasn't there word from Jazwares of the SASAR figures becoming more readily available outside the US? Even in the US, they're quite hard to find. My local Toys R Us had big Knuckles and three tiny Shadows :-/ Not a Sonic in sight.

Update on the Ryo figure, it's shipping tomorrow and should get to me by next wednesday! :D

Edited by Doctor Eggman