Awoo.

Digimon - Digital Monsters

Soniman

I seen it...and I love it.
This was well worth the wait. Just gotta get used to hearing the JP names as I found myself unconsciously still saying Tai, Matt, Izzy, T.K., etc.

I can't wait for the next part.

Why? you're just gonna have to re-hear them again when it airs in america in english. just keep knowing what you know.

I'm watching the first episode as I type, on Crunchyroll... Oh man, they used Butterfly for the intro, the nostalgia is too big!!

Holy shit man, this is so awesome, they're using all the old BGM and singles remixed (including Brave Heart during the Digivolution), nostalgia boner intensifies!! Watching episode 2, and it's really cool :D

I've finished all the 4 episodes, love it, love it! This is how you bring a beloved anime back. Can't believe this is the same Toei that is doing DB Super. The animation quality is superb and constant. More of this please!!! When the next part comes out?

Edited by Jango

Just got done watching, and man it was just incredible seeing the original 8 back in action. And seeing all the Digimon evolve to their champion forms in episode 2 made me feel like I was 8 again. 

I can't wait for the next part.

Even though I never watched the JP version of the show, seeing these characters again was so lovely. Tai's little drama was a bit questionable for me (and annoying) but the action and characters other than that were awesome. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

I NEED ANSWERS FOR THE ADVENTURE 2 CREW THO WTF DO TK AND KARI JUST NOT GIVE A SHIT? DO NONE OF THEM GIVE A SHIT ALL FOUR JUST VANISHED????? BRUH

Even though I never watched the JP version of the show, seeing these characters again was so lovely. Tai's little drama was a bit questionable for me (and annoying) but the action and characters other than that were awesome. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

I NEED ANSWERS FOR THE ADVENTURE 2 CREW THO WTF DO TK AND KARI JUST NOT GIVE A SHIT? DO NONE OF THEM GIVE A SHIT ALL FOUR JUST VANISHED????? BRUH

The thing with Tai kind of bugged me too. Especially considering that in the first adventure, there was a fuck ton of collateral damage when they fought Myotismon and they didn't seem bothered about it then.

The thing with Tai kind of bugged me too. Especially considering that in the first adventure, there was a fuck ton of collateral damage when they fought Myotismon and they didn't seem bothered about it then.

I think that's the whole point, when he was young he wasn't bothered by it because all he cared about was that the day was saved. Now, he's a grown up and he can see that even if they win, they kind of level half a city during their battles.

That said I also didn't like that plot point very much, if Tai's the leader he should have discussed that with everyone, or at least just said ''Hey how about we try to do some damage control in the future or take the battles away from the city?''

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I would've been more bothered with Taichi's problems had he not recognized himself that it was weird he was having them now instead of years ago, and ep 4 cementing it as a "we're growing up and changing" scenario. He's no longer 10 or 12, he recognizes the consequences of their actions more. I'm fine with it.

No, my main problem was with what Brad mentioned. I just can't buy there being no mentions by the characters of the 02 cast. There's new digimon attacking. Why does literally no-one go "we need more help! Where's the other guys?"

Like, I can't think of any scenario that'd justify it. If they only recently disappeared, then they'd be going "where are they?". If they disappeared a year ago when the portals closed or something, they'd go "I wish they were here" or "I wonder if this is related?". If they'd had a falling out between the groups, they'd be going "I don't like them but even they'd be help now" or something. It's really bothering me, which is a shame because everything else was surprisingly tight- the characters, the continuity between shows (with some awkwardness in that they keep 02's ending of "every child in the world has a Digimon" while still going "society at large doesn't know what digimon are" but eh), the geography, the nostalgia calls with the OST and whatnot... so odd.

(also in the DD name listing shot Iori is listed twice for some reason. Just list Ryo Akiyama instead man V: )

The animation is wonky at places, nowhere near as good as the Hosoda stuff, and I had a laugh at stuff like "total destruction at the airport!" *cuts to a pan of an airport so dark you see nothing, including any destruction*, but still. Hype for the next part, you guys seen the poster? Vikemon, Rosemon, and apparently fighting Imperialdramon?

Edited by The KKM

I think Tai's concern about the destruction was justified in concept, not execution. His mistake was not taking the ultimate decision sooner, he could've at least avoided more destruction... He managed to lure Kuwagamon into an open field because it was a low level Digimon, but Alphamon was bigger business. Anyway, I liked it what I've saw so far, including the new girl, very excited for the next part!

Also, putting this here for nostalgic purposes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEtcR03BQ8

BTW, it's the same singer from 15 years ago, Wada Kouji. I didn't knew he had cancer! Thank God he recovered! To think he re-recorded Butterfly and brough back the childhood of many is amazing!!

Edited by Jango

Adding my hat to the 'mildy annoyed and confused at the lack of regard for the 02-specific cast' ring, but for a bit of a different reason. I don't even care that much for 02, but I'm kind of irked by... I don't know. Obviously the "everyone gets digimon and lives happily ever after, quick chop chop wrap it up with a neat little bow so we can move on to Tamers" of the 02 finale had to be chucked out -- as, you know, just about 100% of the fandom wanted it to be --, but it's kind of unclear how much else is being retconned and how much of it actually 'counts' in Tri.

I'm not too hurting, and it's not really hampering my enjoyment, but it'd be nice to have more of a solid clue what we're dealing with here; it left me feeling kind of floundering a little bit to try and get up to speed.

I'm sure it'll be explained in the future, but for the time being, grump grump, whine whine.

But if I can turn that part of my brain off?

Ohmygawwww tiny little fanboy screams.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think they were aiming at Western success, Cee- as a child what struck me the most about the show was the verisimilitude of the Japanese geography in it, all the time they lose establishing Tokyo as a real place as opposed to being a random fantasy land as most action cartoons of the time. Considering that, I don't think their focus was on anyone other than Japanese kids, maybe even specifically Tokyo kids who'd recognize the locales used.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since this is mostly the Digimon general topic, I wanted to express my adoration for the game Digimon Rumble Arena for the PS1. I've played a lot with my friends back in the day, and it was the shit. Smash was good, but it couldn't stand a chance. And just yesterday I've decided to replay on a emulator, and oh boy, it is still fucking great. And I only played against the CPU. Anyone else remember this game?

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just got around watching Tri. Enjoyed it a lot.

I'm sure everyone noticed it, but they didn't shout their attacks during the battle scenes, which made them put less emphasis on special attacks (usually ranged attacks).

Looking forward to the next batch in April. In the meantime, I have fan art to do. D:

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, antyep said:

A new trailer for the next Digimon movie is out, and guess who's back!!

@0:31 Why do I think that was Ken Ichijouji? Probably the clothes seem similar to the Digimon Emperor in styling.

4 hours ago, AdventChild said:

@0:31 Why do I think that was Ken Ichijouji? Probably the clothes seem similar to the Digimon Emperor in styling.

It is the Digimon Emperor. But the question is, is that really Ken...or Tai?

Why would you think Tai?

I would assume that Team 02 got corrupted somehow.

Sad that Leomon is gonna come back just to get jobbed as always, hes like Yamcha only cooler.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, goku262002 said:

Why would you think Tai?

I would assume that Team 02 got corrupted somehow.

Sad that Leomon is gonna come back just to get jobbed as always, hes like Yamcha only cooler.

Probably because of this.

6uHXsOJ.png

• 1 month later...

So, the next 4-ep batch is out!

Outright, I'll say I maintain the same main complaint as before.

Spoiler

I still don't buy, at all, that no-one seems to notice the 02 cast is gone. Heaven's sake, Takeru and Hikari were part of the same group! Bullshit on no word being said of it. I hope the next 4-ep batch opens with "oh yeah what happened to those guys?" now that the Digimon Emperor's shown his face.

Beyond that, though, quite like how this is going. A lot more introspective. I can predict people complaining, as with Taichi, that "oh Joe's just having the same doubts again yawn", but I honestly think that's emotionally realistic- questions like these, of belonging, fear, etc., you don't really get it done and over with forever, especially on this level. Plus it seems it's their excuse to give the others the access to final digivolutions.

Also, congrats on that cliffhanger. As soon as I saw Leomon I went "he'll die", but congrats on surprising me on how he does so.

Also also, did they just kill Imperialdramon and not bat an eye? Even if it's just a copy, again, I don't buy them killing their companions and not making any note of it. Goddamn it, I don't mind 02 getting shafted, except in-universe it doesn't make sense at all!

Additionally, some pacing issues. I wouldn't remove any of the calmer, character study stuff, but it DID result in a rushed climax of sorts.

Besides the slow pacing, I enjoyed it overall. It continued the fantastic start that Chapter 1 got off to, so all I can say is that I'm satisfied.

Spoiler

The rooftop scene with Joe and Gomamon was absolutely perfect, it was really a highlight of how well Tri did with the characterization and character development of the main cast.