Awoo.

Digimon - Digital Monsters

Soniman

I absolutely love Digimon, but I think I'm one of those heretics who just doesn't feel the nostalgia for the Saban dubs anymore. They were a great way to get me into the show, and they still have their charm, but, other than Tamers, I just find it hard to go back and rewatch them, now that I've seen the series in its original Japanese form. I guess it's just a matter of personal preferences. I really love how the JP version doesn't shoehorn in as many jokes and has some nice, quiet moments. Plus, it has some pretty kickass songs.

Tamers in general has some great music in the JP version. Unlike Brave Heart (which I still like), the insert songs have so much energy. They got me really, really pumped when watching the show, whereas... I always hated the English dub's Digi Rap, even as a kid (I was disappointed that the song wasn't as cool as Pokémon's).

One thing I really love about Japanese Tamers in particular is that the Matrix Evolved forms of the Tamers and their Digimon partners didn't have voice overlays. Dukemon in particular was ten times as badass because even his behavior changed.

This whole scene was one of my favorite moments in the JP version because of how heartfelt it was.

Not to say that the dubs don't have heart, but the characters to me just felt more genuine in Japanese. The music, the lack of jokes and puns, and the lack of censorship really just adds to the experience for me, so I highly recommend checking out the series uncut if you can. The official subs are pretty crappy, but they get the job done. Otherwise, there are some pretty awesome fansubs out there if you look hard enough.

Also, the final scene in Tamers features

lovely song. Really adds to the mood! Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 2

LOL That's really weird, all the American soundtracks aren't the original ones, just like happened with DBZ 0.0 Not saying this is bad, because they worked in new songs of their own, this is cool, but I still prefer the way they made in my country, singing the translated japanese version, which is much more touching and uplifting =)

Edited by Jango

While we're talking on all things Digimon... Did anybody have this game as a kid?

PSX_Digimon_World_01.jpg

Lemme tell you, this was so addicting. Getting my first ultimate level Digimon was like the greatest feeling ever. :D

I actually played a little of Digimon World at a friend's house, and it was a very cute game. I wish I could've gotten to play it a little longer. Maybe one of these days I'll buy it used.

One thing I gotta say about the JP version that really surprised me was how different some of the characters are. For example, Tailmon (Gatomon in the dub) speaks with a much more mature voice, doesn't make cat puns, and really acts more like an adult than in the English version. She has her pretty serious moments, but I really enjoy the snark between her and PicoDevimon during the Vamdemon arc. I... don't really remember how they handled it in the dub, admittedly, but her character development is one of the most memorable aspects to me.

Also, Culumon > Calumon. In the dub, he always annoyed me, but in Japanese, I think he's really, really cute. It's probably a cultural thing, though. I mean, Culumon is a very Japanese portrayal of cute, complete with his "culu!" speech quirk. They probably thought that was too cutesy for American children.

I still think he's hilarious, though, because he's portrayed as super naive and curious without being a loudmouth. 'course, that goes hand in hand with the dub's insertion of dialogue over silence and use of gag dialogue a lot... which is apparently Fox's fault.

As for Adventure, I really wish they'd have made more than one evolution song,. While I do like Brave Heart, hearing it in practically every episode did get kinda silly, especially in the early episodes. At least 02 improved this by introducing cool songs like Break Up and Beat Hit.

Also, did you know that "Digimodify" was known as Card Slash in Japanese? I'm kinda bummed that they changed it because Card Slash sounds a lot cooler, in my opinion. Plus, it had a neat insert song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM2323gy_js

But, idk, I'm just not a fan of the various Digi puns inserted into the dub. I'd take Chosen Children over Digidestined, evolution over digivolution, and the yen vs USD joke over digidollars. They're not terrible terms, and the JP version did have Digivice/Digiegg/Digimental; I just think the dub overdid it a lil'.

One thing I will absolutely give to the dub's credit, though is... some of the name changes are actually an improvement. Like... Anomalocarimon became Scorpiomon in the dub, which just. Flows better, I think. Also, I liked how the Tamers dub did keep the overall darkness of the series, even if it did take away a lot of the subtlety. It's why I can still enjoy that dub more than the others. Plus, Steve Blum's take on Guilmon is pretty awesome, even if I'm partial to his more childish JP voice. Blum always breathes life into the characters he portrays.

EDIT: f5WEf.png

The grammar fail in the official Tamers subs makes me laugh.

Edited by Mega

I dunno Brave Heart is definitely not bad, it just doesn't have the same "aww shit" feel the dub has, or maybe that's the nostalgia talking.

My guess is it's probably nostalgia. One never messes with nostalgia, that's for sure. Personally, I get a lot of "aww shit" from Brave Heart and the other evolution songs, perhaps because I grew up with them and waited for them in almost every episode. I grew up with the German version, which is identical to the Japanese version, only difference being plain dub (other than different names) and certain covers, but in essence it was the same. I never watched all of the American version, which the Norwegian version is based on, but I can easily see there is a difference. The Japanese version seems to focus more on terror and death, and I feel this is reflected very well in its recurring soundtrack, and there were a few episodes which nearly gave me nightmares. Oh Diz, you wuss~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sTRdM8ufN4

I loved Digimon. It quickly became addicting on a whole new level. I recently watched the episodes again from the start (Japanese version). Very nostalgic, heart-melting, happy, and yet sad and giving you that feeling of terror, feeling of despair and not escaping alive, etc. I want to go through them again soon! =)

I thought Digimon Tamers was the most hated season of them all, I read a lot of bad comments about it up through the years. Personally, while I did miss the old seasons at the time Tamers started, it felt like a great fresh start, things didn't really feel old to me. It was also cool how they spent the first entire part of the season in the real world, almost replacing the entire soundtrack as well.

If I have to pick a favourite season, I would probably have to go with the first one. Besides, it started it all.

However we all can agree this is shit:

"HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON!"

This song is so awkward to listen to, even as a kid this felt "wrong" for some reason, even when ass kicking was ensuing.

Oh no you didn't. I F'N love that song, if only because it's so corny. I have to admit, The Digimon Movie soundtrack is one of my favorite CDs with it's Digimon songs and a bunch of hit songs from the time. I had that in my CD player for the longest time.

But, I also have to admit, I prefer the Japanese soundtrack (at least the vocal songs anyway). You want to talk epic battle songs?

I immediately ordered the CD single of that after the first time I heard it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Getting around to a popular season.

duig.jpg

Digimon Savers began it's run on April 2, 2006 and ended on March 25, 2007.

Marcus Damon was hot blooded street fighter who only looked out for himself, until one day where he mets a renegade Agumon who escaped from DATS (Digital Accident Tactics Squad) ad gets into a fight was it. After a long scuffle the two decide on becomming friends, and eventurally decide to join DATS, in order to develop their abilities further. Along the way they befriend fellow teamates Thomas Noirstein and Yoshino Fujieda.

This series thankfully decided to return to the Human/Digimon partner aspect of the show, it shares some paralells with Data Squad, taking place prominently in the real world (kinda, id say the Real World/Digital World ratio is about 60/40%) and having an organization that stops Digimon from appeaing in the real world. And the Digimon werent the only ones doing the fighting this time, Marcus himself would go up against creatures 5x his side in order to attain their data which he gives to Agumon to make him stronger.

I remember marathoning through this series a year or two back, but I can't really remember most of it. I think I put it on the same level, or slightly above Frontier. The only character I vaguely cared about was Keenan. I remember hating Marcus immensley for being a hot blooded idiot who made for a terrible leader (I guess not having any goggles was a sign of that), and decided that after his father returned and they Damion's finally became a family again, he decided to go dicking around in the Digital World in order to fight more, fuck him.

I think im being somewhat unfair though, and I should really give the series another watch to see if have the same views. But as for now, im not to big on it.

You know, that reminds me. Why the heck did they change Ikuto's name to Keenan in the first place? It's such a random change. I mean, Marcus is at least similar to Masaru. Ish. I just think something like Iggy woulda made more sense if they had to Americanize the name.

But that's just nitpicking on my part. Savers is one of the Digimon series I have never watched in English, but I can't imagine watching it dubbed when the series is just so shounen. I did hear it's one of the better dubs, at least.

Another funny tidbit: Lopmon is male in Japanese. Yup. He just didn't use gender pronouns for a long time, so the dubbers thought he was female.

I wouldn't say the dub is high quality because it can get pretty bad at times, but it's definitely a step up from their early days. Plus it has Crispin Freeman, you can't beat that.

For Savers, I'd say watch the subs, if only for the awesome soundtrack, and a more faithful translation. The dub soundtrack is generic, forgettable and obviously had a budget of five bucks.

And... Yeah, Ikuto's name change is just strange. Hell, dub name changes in general is something that bugs me. The dub doesn't even try to pretend that it doesn't take place in Japan (unlike the earlier dubs before Adventure 02's "world tour" mini-arc forced the dubber's hand), and none of the names are difficult to remember or say - having 'foreign' names doesn't make them any more difficult to identify with them. And then there's the odd choices - I mean, seriously, who's idea was it to change Wallace's name to Willis?

That being said, Thomas/Touma might've actually made sense if they tried to play it off as Touma having a european second name, considering he's half-european (though he was initially raised in Japan with his mother), but...

Oh, and they could've been at least been consistent, seeing as how a few characters with blatantly Japanese names don't have their names changed, Kurata being one of them. Granted, I'm not complaining when Digimon World: Data Squad used Digisoul rather than DNA, the latter is just lame.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I'm still standing by my opinion that Digimon Savers is my single favourite series of anything, ever. :D

Sure, the Royal Knights arc was a little meh, but damn, dat Kurata finale. ohmy.png Also, did I mention how Masaru = god? (Except he's technically > god, since he punches one to bits)

I liked the American version of the series, but I think some scenes were done better in the original, Like this (It's the German version, but whatever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKNdt552S8&feature=youtu.be&t=4m1s

I really like that. It feels really exciting.. Especially when the kids start singing, it really is great for when all of the Digidestined of the world work together..

I love the English voices more than the other, but I have to admit that the dub is kinda cheesy. It's fun and all, but it quite odd if you put it up next to the actual dialogue. However I do like that they made the characters older.

Guh, yeah, the name changes are one of my biggest beefs besides characterization changes. If the series takes place in Japan, why change the names? Kids can handle names like Taichi, Ruki, Masaru, and Hikari. I don't think they'd really nitpick that much when there are games and cartoons that feature made up names. Plus, some of the changes like Taichi's last name, Takato's last name (Matsuda to Matsuki? Why?), and so on are just bizarre.

Also, some of the monster name changes were pretty pointless, too. Like Dukemon, Vamdemon, Omegamon, Armadimon, Pegasmon... They're not all as wordy as Anomalocarimon.

Guh, yeah, the name changes are one of my biggest beefs besides characterization changes. If the series takes place in Japan, why change the names? Kids can handle names like Taichi, Ruki, Masaru, and Hikari. I don't think they'd really nitpick that much when there are games and cartoons that feature made up names. Plus, some of the changes like Taichi's last name, Takato's last name (Matsuda to Matsuki? Why?), and so on are just bizarre.

Also, some of the monster name changes were pretty pointless, too. Like Dukemon, Vamdemon, Omegamon, Armadimon, Pegasmon... They're not all as wordy as Anomalocarimon.

Did they really change the names as much as shorten them in the first three dubs? Tai's name was still Taichi, just shorter as if in a nickname fashion.

Did they really change the names as much as shorten them in the first three dubs? Tai's name was still Taichi, just shorter as if in a nickname fashion.

The "nickname" thing was mostly confined to the first Digimon Adventure, if I remember correctly. Of course, that didn't stop the dubbers from changing Taichi and Hikari's surname to Kamiya rather than Yagami, for some unexplained reason.

The Digimon name changes were somewhat more reasonable (Vandemon to Myotismon at least utilized the name of a genus of bats, if I remember correctly), but the human name changes seemed awfully haphazard in hindsight. Even the humans with English names weren't safe, as I said before, whose idea was it to change Wallace's name to Willis? Silly.

It was only confined to the first series, anyway. 02 changed names like Miyako to Yolei, Iori to Cody, etc. ...Actually, Iori to Cody is another really random one, now that I think about it.

The dub also seemed to veer away from the word demon in general. I think the Savers dub even skipped mentioning the demon lords.

One thing that bugged me is when they only changed half of a character's name and it sounded really awkward. I remember that one boxing dude from an early episode of Savers/Data Squad being changed from Hayase Tsubasa to Hayase Harris. If you're going to Americanize the name, you might as well Americanize the whole thing instead of just half of it.

The dub also seemed to veer away from the word demon in general. I think the Savers dub even skipped mentioning the demon lords.

I recall the first appearance of Devimon in 01 referring to himself as master of the demon underworld in the dub.

Oh wow, today's the day that the original Digidestined were sent into the Digital World (within the show) haha.

Happy Digimon Day, I guess!

318736_415581778476995_1397194516_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

I'M DYING IN MY SEAT! What is up with that guy's mic? Do they not have good audio equipment?

That does sound hella funny.

Like, bumping a little. So yeah, I said I used to drag my parents to buy me ALL the Digimon toys, and today this is the only one I still have, because it's my fav:

It's an original Wargreymon figure, too bad I've losted one of the claws :/

28072012697.jpg

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man, the Dark Masters of the first season were my favorite, especially MetalSeadraMon. (Ignoring his horrible use of cooking puns)

And MyotisMon and all his incarnations were great too, but I agree that all the villains kinda came from nowhere:

"Hooray,we beat the bad guy!!"

"NO I DON'T THINK SO ACTUALLY WE'RE REALLY BAD AND STUFFS TOO BLAURGHURGHR FIGHT US NOW!!"

Vamdemon was a pretty horrifying villain, but it's even more horrific if you look at some of the Japanese Episodes, such as the one with Pumpmon and Gotsumon in Shibuya. In the dub, he just imprisoned them. In the Japanese version? He killed them.

And Digimon killed in the real world can't be reborn in the Village of Beginnings.

Yeah.

I think that gave the episode an added punch to the gut. B)