Awoo.

Digimon - Digital Monsters

Soniman

Pun or not, any name change at all is entirely unnecessary, incredibly unfitting for a Japanese character, and "Mikey" sounds incredibly cringeworthy - it's practically one of those generic kids names you'd hear in a brain-dead Saturday morning cartoon, or something 4Kids would've come up with (I say "would've" because 4Kids is dead, thank God for that).

I mean, at least previous names changes were tolerable, if sometimes somewhat perplexing. "Mikey" is just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

So apparently deciding not to watch something isn't because of the plot, or setting, or tone, but character name changes.

Even though this has happened countless times before in other shows, as well as Digimon.

So, the trailer with voices has been uploaded fully with voices and all; go nuts.

Edit: So, I'm digging the music at the end, which I expect to be the new opening.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

I am... totally okay with Shoutmon's voice.

Taiki's English voice will take some getting used to, though. Diggin' the BGM at the beginning, too.

The gag dialogue... not so much.

EDIT: Autotune, wat.

Edited by Mega

Better or worse than Gerry, Dorothy, and Edwardo?

Better... Slightly.

So apparently deciding not to watch something isn't because of the plot, or setting, or tone, but character name changes.

Even though this has happened countless times before in other shows, as well as Digimon.

When there's perfectly legal methods of watching the original version, there's no point in enduring unnecessary changes.

And saying "this has happened countless times before" does not mean pointless name changes are a good idea (especially in the internet age - this isn't the 80's or 90's, where kids won't know better). It's a logical fallacy.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree, honestly. My pipe dream has always been to have a Digimon dub that's faithful. Not to say that this new dub will be bad, but in this day and age, can't they at least try to be a bit more accurate? Or at least keep the original BGM. :|a Even Pokémon uses some of the original SFX and music.

Wow, that was.... yeah. mellow.png

In much better news, my D-Ark arrived today, meaning I now have;

BD5579A7-92CC-4AE2-B7C7-F0901D57B864-2259-00000145361D787E.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

v3o8yc.gif

I found this on Pirated Games Central.

After winning the long-time lost improbity badge, the Rocket Brigade barbarically destroyed the peace of magic baby’s world and crazily loot previous Magic Babies. Being aware of this, Xiaozhi and his pals decided to stop their devilry but failed and being imprisoned

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! The first DVD must've sold well to warrant such speed.

If this sells just as well, then let's hope that we get Tamers! Eeek!

Edited by VisionaryBlur
  • Thumbs Up 1

If this sells just as well, then let's hope that we get Tamers! Eeek!

YES. Getting Tamers on DVD for my birthday next year would be glorious.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Shitballs! You guys have GOT TO LISTEN TO THIS. I think the mixing of the song with the vocals could have been a little better, but DAAAAAAAAAAM!

Edited by Malpercio
  • Thumbs Up 1

Received the first season box set in the mail the other day. Wow. I almost forgot how bad the dialogue was early on in the series. I mean, it's always been bad, but it's almost cringe-worthy early on. Still a fun watch after all these years, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to wonder why they're so against making these DVDs dual-language. It'd net them more money, I think, from fans of the Japanese version like me who'd rather not touch the dub with a twenty foot pole anymore.

Buuuut I'm still biased and just grumping because I'd like to have quality subs on DVD. 8'[ Someday, maybe.

I loved this show as a kid. what ended it for me though was the fourth season, but then season 5 was pretty cool. however, I loved Adventure 01 and 02, then Tamers. those three in my opinion were the best..and the japanese soundtracks? AWESOME. this was a hell of a lot better than pokemon which just has a repeating pattern every single season to the point of 'just end the show already!'

no offense to pokemon fans on that last bit, btw. just saying facts.

I do have to admit though the dubs of seasons 1 and 2 of digimon, though they had hammed up lines here and there, has some pretty good jokes involved that make it hilarious. XD

So, as I've been saying in the status messages, I plan on streaming the entire Tamers series in Japanese with high quality subs! The streams will take place here: http://www.justin.tv/dorked

I've already gone through eps 1 - 10, but if you missed out and would like to see them, they should be in the archives for another day or so. Otherwise, I may do some encore streams if I have time. Sadly, I can't stream in HD due to my connection speed, but hopefully the vids will still be watchable.

My next stream will probably be tomorrow night.

Edited by Mega

Ahh Digimon... Been a fan of this show since the moment it first aired in the UK biggrin.png

Nobody I knew was into it, everyone preferred Pokemon and I was the Digimon junkie. Man I used to bring my season 2 Digivice into school every day, still have it now 8)

I was only ever a fan of season 1 and 2, I tried out the 3rd season and, I just found it didn't have the same charm at all. What annoyed me most was how the characters changed every season, I would get attached to them and then once the series was over, I knew next time it would be an all new cast ):

Back when I first started secondary school, I had the biggest crush on Tai! So much so, I decided I would rename myself after him and would NOT answer to anything other than Tai, which, being 12 years old was a bit immature and people thought I was crazy D: But yes! Oh and just to add, I no longer fancy Tai, and, my name change was short lived ^^

• 1 month later...

If you want to watch/download Digimon Tamers (English Dub), go to this channel:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBOwaiMbIERRbJ5dkI4CyFO0Qs3mi7Dkx You are Welcome smile.png.

I was only ever a fan of season 1 and 2, I tried out the 3rd season and, I just found it didn't have the same charm at all. What annoyed me most was how the characters changed every season, I would get attached to them and then once the series was over, I knew next time it would be an all new cast ):

Well to be fair, if the cast had remained the same all of the time, it would have eventually stagnated. Just look at Ash Ketchum.

Also, Digimon Tamers would definitely be jarring considering it was aiming for more subtle character development, generally more mature tone overall, and some other stuff I probably forgot about. Basically, pretty different compared to the first two Digimon.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

I think the problem is that the English dub presented them as seasons. They were not seasons in Japan but entirely separate series, leading to confusion in some cases. Only 02 and Adventure as well as the Xros series really count as seasons.

When there's perfectly legal methods of watching the original version, there's no point in

getting in a huff over minor changes in the dub? :U

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

poyo.png

>That moment when you realize that Poyomon was the cause of half of the problems in Digimon Season 01.

Fuck this digimon seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1

poyo.png

>That moment when you realize that Poyomon was the cause of half of the problems in Digimon Season 01.

Fuck this digimon seriously.

That is one big-ass evolution tree O_O.