Awoo.

Games you want to see re-released

Speederino

Since the start of the 7th console generation, many online distributors have kept the classic games of yesteryear alive by offering them up as downloadable games through services such as XBLA, PSN, Virtual Console, Steam, GoG, and the like. It's brought formerly obscure games and cult classics into the limelight, and has given us all the chance to re-experience old classics that we may have lost years ago, or never got to experience in the first place.

Yet, despite the fact that these download services have been around for several years now, there are *still* plenty of old gems that just haven't been re-released for some reason or another, seemingly destined to remain buried in the past. Even more baffling is how some of these classics have been shunned while games like China Warrior have somehow managed to make the cut. So yes, there are still plenty of games that many of us are desperate to see get a re-release. What old games are you eager to purchase again (Or for the first time)?

Me? Well, I'll get one of the more obvious ones out of the way: Earthbound. It's just downright baffling that this hasn't shown up on VC yet, especially since Nintendo's reasoning behind this seems to amount to "We don't feel like it, maybe tomorrow." But I'd be lying if I said Earthbound was super close to my heart. It's a great game, but I don't really count myself as one of the people who just can't live without it and would never forgive Nintendo for not re-releasing it.

Instead, my most wanted re-release would be this:

HarvestMoon64_Box.jpg

Harvest Moon 64. Harvest Moon is one of those franchises that I think every serious gamer has heard about, but hardly any have really played. And can you blame them? It's a farming sim, what the heck is the appeal to that, right? Well, don't knock it before you try it. This franchise is oozing with personality and is downright addicting (Or it used to be at any rate, but I'm not here to rail against the current direction of the series), and has managed to gain a rather large cult following because of it. Harvest Moon 64 is generally considered by fans to be the best game in the series, but for some reason it's the only HM game from that era to have not seen the light of day on a download service. Supposedly this is because there are coding issues between the original game and Virtual Console, but I can't help but wonder if these are literally impossible issues to overcome or if the developers are just being lazy.

The thing is, much like Earthbound, unless you're lucky enough to own an original cartridge or are willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money online for a thirteen year old game then the only way to play HM64 these days is through an emulator. And I don't like playing through emulators. The controls never feel quite right to me and, well, I really don't like having to lean back in this particular chair, but I have to if I'm using a corded controller. tongue.png

It's the hard-to-acquire classic's like these that deserve to be re-released more then anything, IMHO.

Edited by Speederino

Kingdom freakin hearts 1 and 2! Seriously, what is the hold up? I'm seeing hd collections everywhere! yet no KH....:( It would help pass the time for KH3.

Fucking Crock 1 and 2. They were basically the Banjo Kazooie games of the PS1 era for me, they were fun games that are somewhat rare and I would like to play them again.

inb4 Sonic CD.

inb4 Nights.

inb4 Sonic Adventure 2.

Well, fuck. All of the obvious jokes are ruined.

Also, I want my Lunar 2 PSP remake. Harmony of Silver Star was decent enough (generally better than the Silver Star Story Complete), and I'd like to see similar care and love put into a remake of a considerably better game. They can take their anti-grind game design and screw, though.

I'd also really like to have Daytona 2. We got the original, and we probably would never be able to get SCUD Race, so Daytona 2 would be a great compromise. Particularly when it never got a home release.

A Snatcher rerelease would be nice too. Take bits and pieces from the TurboGrafx-CD version and the Sega CD version to make a flawless whole. Add PS Move/Wiimote support for the shooting scenes. It would be awesome.

Edited by Gilda

Kirby Tilt n' Tumble. One of Nintendo's first forays into accelerometer gameplay, and to this day one of their best. It was loads of fun, but incompatible with anything after the original horizontal GBA as the SP required you insert the game with the accelerometer upside down. But with Nintendo being unable to create a piece of hardware that DOESN'T have motion controls, it's a mystery as to why they haven't rereleased this gem.

• Thumbs Up 2

More of the Rayman games as well. Hell even that learning one. I had a freakin blast with those games. I wouldn't mind re-buing them.

I have a couple of games I wanna see re-released.

First off is Dino Crisis, this game is one of my favorites from Capcom. I honestly believe the first game is scarier than the entire Resident Evil franchise. It needs a comeback.

The Clock Tower games are another series of games I wanna see re-released as well. Its not so often you get to play survival horror which the only thing you can do is run and hide. Not so much for the 3rd game but that's alright.

While I do know it had two re-releases, one of the PSP and the other on PSN, I would want to see a re-release of Darkstalkers, the 2nd and 3rd games mostly however. Darkstalkers is my favorite fighting series and it does deserve more love.

Finally Grim Fandango, that game made by that funny guy, needs a re-release badly. My new computer really can't play it without it going berserk or something. I hope it would somehow go on Steam. It needs a lot more love.

• Thumbs Up 2

Primal, my favourite PS2 game.

The PS2 version has already been released on US PSN. I want this on EU PSN. To be honest this game deserves a HD Widescreen re-release.

The game looked stunning on the PS2. The size and design of the levels was amazing. Certainly had a few glitchs but that didn't take away from the enjoyment.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Final Fantasy V. Yes, it's definitely the corniest entry in the entire series, but...no, wait, that's FFX-2. Actually, it's barely in the Top Five of corniness these days. Let me start over.

Final Fantasy V had my favourite character advancement system of the entire series, and I'd love to see it get the remake treatement that FFIII and FFIV got the DS. To me it's the game that perfected the job system.

Any 1st party wii game remade in HD for Wii-U would be greatly appreciated by me and I'd gladly empty my wallet for them. I can imagine games like Mario Galaxy 1-2, zelda TP &SS, or Kirby RtD, etc. would look like in HD. seeing how they remade a few GCN games for wii I can see at least a few remakes in HD happening hopefully. If they remade Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD I would have a seizure from the awesomeness of it all. Sadly I can't see that happening, we would be lucky to get even Prime 3 HD, we'll probably get... Other M HD, blegh. Nah They may not want to even touch that game actually.

Donkey Kong 64. Seriously Nintendo, that was like my favorite N64 game back in the day.

And Sonic Shuffle. Hey don't look at me like that! I had some fun with the game, and I love Mario Party games (well the first 4 and *gasp* Advance) so I'd like to take a try at this again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay my choices are going to be weird but whatever.

First of all I'd like to see first two Harry Potter games getting PS1 Classics re-release on PSN.

Same goes for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of the Azkaban PS2 version and maybe Chamber of Secrets (PS2 as well).

I also 'd like to see Castelvania Symphony of the Night getting EU PSN release. Never played this game but I really want to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those aren't re-releases.

Let's not stray too much into list topic territory either, although it seems everything here is going along nicely.

For me, Lego Island Xtreme Stunts, had such fun with that game! Along with Red Faction 1 and Bugs Bunny Lost in Time

Can I get a Viewtiful Joe HD? Maybe the 2nd one too? How about a Viewtiful Joe HD collection?

I'd totally pay money for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rockman Complete Works 1-6. The Japanese special editions of Mega Man 1-6, with a Navagotor mode, and remixed music.

You can put it on a Ultimate Mega Man Collection: Classic Series Edition. Along with Mega Man 1-10, & Vass, all the spin off titles , have extras, and more to make it more than just a game collection

u6hz.jpgmischiefmakersscreensho.jpg

Two of the N64's finest and most original platformers. Glover saw a PC and (messy) Playstation release too but neither of those were especially widespread or easy to find. Mischief Makers however was an N64 exclusive and one of the few games that REALLY took advantage of the unique N64 controller design of having two digital directional pads in the D-Pad and C-Buttons, making it very awkward to play on emulators with keyboards OR modern generation controllers.

Glover was a 3D platformer where you alternated between traditional platforming and rolling a ball around. The platforming continued even with the ball however - while regular control was similar to games such as Marble Madness etc, you were able to slap, throw, and dribble the ball to "jump" and complete platforming segments. It had quirky sense of style and humour, with a mixture of action and puzzley gameplay and very fun, unique boss battles. The game was largely linear, and while you had to finish all 6 worlds, you had a bit of choice in the order you did them. Exploring to find hidden areas and all the collectables rewarded with bonus levels too.

Oh, and fantastic music too:

Mischief Makers was a 2D platformer with again, a very quirky control style. Platforming and combat was centered around grabbing, throwing and shaking things, as well as making use of your boosters for quick movements. While it was rather roughly and awkwardly translated, it had a decent storyline too, and a very unique visual style.

Also yes, music:

The saddest thing is not only do these games totally deserve re-releases, but their gameplay, and potential sequels, were simply made for the motion control revolution of this decade.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've wanted FROM to re-release Metal Wolf Chaos as a PSN game for so long, but they're scared a game about the President of America hopping into a giant, red-blue-white warmech to fight the corrupt Vice-president and his army with big guns and one liners might offend western sensibilities.

Seriously.

Kingdom freakin hearts 1 and 2! Seriously, what is the hold up? I'm seeing hd collections everywhere! yet no KH....sad.png It would help pass the time for KH3.

While a Bluepoint devved MGS-style HD collection of 1,2 and BbS would be absolutely orgasmic, at this point I'd settle for Square to release the PSP game on the Store so I can play the god damned thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've wanted FROM to re-release Metal Wolf Chaos as a PSN game for so long, but they're scared a game about the President of America hopping into a giant, red-blue-white warmech to fight the corrupt Vice-president and his army with big guns and one liners might offend western sensibilities.

Seriously.

While a Bluepoint devved MGS-style HD collection of 1,2 and BbS would be absolutely orgasmic, at this point I'd settle for Square to release the PSP game on the Store so I can play the god damned thing.

While I would adore them if they did that, I thought the reason why they didn't do that was because Disney.

A Kingdom Hearts HD Collection would be cool. BBS would definitely make the most sense as the third title on it, but part of me wants Re: Chain Of Memories as that never came to Europe.. I'd love if the versions HDified were the Final Mix versions.

I'd also love and MGS HD Collection Vol. 2 with Twin Snakes and Portable Ops. It'd be great to be able to play all of them in HD. PO could have some control updates like PW.

I know quite a few people don't like Twin Snakes in comparison to the original, but I did lot. Maybe they could add a classic mode, where you have the updated graphics, but gameplay like the PS1 version, though that doesn't fix the cutscenes people complain about, but you can't make everyone happy, I guess.

Another problem would be Psycho Mantis. To be exact him reading you memory card. They'd either have to remove that or rerecord it so he can read titles from the PS3/360. Theycould use games from Kojima Productions, like MGS HD(Which could count as 5 games, I think, I haven't played either of the MG titles, but I assume they count as their own titles), ZOE HD and Castlevania, as they have their name on it. Those titles are out on both systems, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Another bigger problem would be the fight on the 360. As you have to change the controller port, I don't know how that'd work on the 360. The Nintendo references could be easily changed..

By the way, in Peace Walker is the Walkman still from Sony on the 360?

Said this in the Gaming News thread, but I'd like a Ty the Tasmanian Tiger HD Collection. From the sound of things, a 4th title is coming (Maybe to be announced at Gamescom?), so a collection of the first 3 to reintroduce the series would be nice. 3 never came out in Europe. I've only ever played the first, but I loved that one. Getting a chance to play it again and the other two for the first time would be great.

Edited by MarcelloF

Rocket Knight Adventures. This is seriously one of the best action games ever created, and it deserves more recognition. They released a new sequel a few years back, but it was pretty meh. The original is amazing, with extremely creative levels and fun core gameplay. You are a POSSUM with a SWORD and a JETPACK. This game should be treated like freaking royalty! Yet it is widely overlooked by the general public. It deserves to be loved. Also, I saw it for $3 at a store, excitedly bought it, and discovered my Genesis doesn't work. So I want to play it. And the SNES sequel/spinoff Sparkster should be re-released too.

Also, Donkey Kong 64. I've never owned it, and I'd like to play it. It's pretty expensive nowadays so a $10-15 download would be appreciated.

OH, and, of course, the Mother/Earthbound games. Though at this point, you might as well just emulate them. If Nintendo doesn't want to make some ridiculously tiny changes to their game in order to sell it again, I guess they just don't want your money.

Edited by Gregzilla
  • Thumbs Up 1

A Kingdom Hearts HD Collection would be cool. BBS would definitely make the most sense as the third title on it, but part of me wants Re: Chain Of Memories as that never came to Europe.. I'd love if the versions HDified were the Final Mix versions.

I'd also love and MGS HD Collection Vol. 2 with Twin Snakes and Portable Ops. It'd be great to be able to play all of them in HD. PO could have some control updates like PW.

I know quite a few people don't like Twin Snakes in comparison to the original, but I did. Maybe they could add a classic ode, where you have the updated graphics, but gameplay like the PS1 version, though that doesn't fix the cutscenes people complain about, but you can't make everyone happy :-/

Said this in the Gaming News thread, but I'd like a Ty the Tasmanian Tiger HD Collection. From the sound of things, a 4th title is coming (Maybe to be announced at Gamescom?), so a collection of the first 3 to reintroduce the series would be nice. 3 never came out in Europe. I've only ever played the first, but I loved that one. Getting a chance to play it again and the other two for the first time would be great.

Believe me. You DON'T want Re-chain of memories. That game is actually worse than 358/2 days to me. It's just got so many problems. Birth by sleep would be a better choice and would get less of a spanking from the fans.

Metal gear....Yeah I wouldn't mind another HD port. Just as long as they don't look as bad as HD peacewaker.

Edited by Sora

Believe me. You DON'T want Re-chain of memories. That game is actually worse than 358/2 days to me. It's just got so many problems. Birth by sleep would be a better choice and would get less of a spanking from the fans.

I've played the original, so I know the gameplay and thought it was ok. I'm more interested in the added cutscenes and content, voice acting and the "prettier" graphics..

I've played the original, so I know the gameplay and thought it was ok. I'm more interested in the added cutscenes and content, voice acting and the "prettier" graphics..

It just felt clunkier than the gameboy version to me. the controls just felt weirder. And the rooms.....not my favorite aspect of the game. But yeah story, and graphics sure. VA......I just couldn't get myself to stop laughing at Sora having his KH2 voice when story wise, the day before he had his younger one.:P and the japanese laughs....lol. But yeah, Voice acting is okay.