Awoo.

Was Knuckles a red Sonic in the prototype of sonic 3? Probably...

Oblivionthehog

...huh. It seems like a place-holder for Knuckles while they were still designing him. It would make sense since palette-swapping was a simple action back then. That's some awesome info, though. I think the folks at Sonic Retro would really appreciate it!

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 6

...huh. It seems like a place-holder for Knuckles while they were still designing him. It would make sense since pallet-swapping was a simple action back then. That's some awesome info, though. I think the folks at Sonic Retro would really appreciate it!

I tried to join the site but the validation thingy takes a while so...its so awful :(

Thanks anyways.

Wow. That's pretty cool. It would've been interesting if they used this instead of Knuckles.

Also, if Dimensions pulled through and was confirmed, we probably would've seen this red Sonic.

That's a mindblow, because I never heard of that. Ever. XD

This is such an early beta that it uses Sonic 2 sprites. It is entirely possible that the red Sonic is Knuckles' temporary sprite and isn't a reflection of a beta design.

WOW! Nice discovery! I don't think this was ever mentioned before. Also, in regards to this picture:

3.jpg

Could you please scan the Sonic art to the right? I want to know if it's concept art, or rarely seen stock art or something. A full scan of the page would also be very appreciated, if you can. It's a good thing you didn't throw this out!

Edited by a person
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the 2nd picture, why would Sonic Tails, and the Knuckles alpha sprite be in Knuckles final boss area? The original Sky Sanctuary for Sonic had Angel Island in it maybe? It looks like Sonic is Fighting Knuckles there. So what happened to Hidden Palace?

Nice find. Its always nice to see more information on the early stages of the games come up, and we don't really have much as Sonic 3 beta/alpha information as we do to something like Sonic 1 or especially 2. This looks like it goes right to the very early development of Sonic 3.

Edited by Mephiles550

In the 2nd picture, why would Sonic Tails, and the Knuckles alpha sprite be in Knuckles final boss area? The original Sky Sanctuary for Sonic had Angel Island in it maybe? It looks like Sonic is Fighting Knuckles there. So what happened to Hidden Palace?

I assume it's the part where Knuckles is running along to the teleporters and such, and Sonic's just jumping, but it could be the fight. Also, isn't Sky Sanctuary from Sonic and Knuckles? So this may have been at the point where they weren't seperated games.

EDIT: also:

Sonic_Jam_6_-_Screenshot_3.png

yeah, "Dreds" is in Sonic Jam 6

Edited by a person

WOW! Nice discovery! I don't think this was ever mentioned before. Also, in regards to this picture:

3.jpg

Could you please scan the Sonic art to the right? I want to know if it's concept art, or rarely seen stock art or something. A full scan of the page would also be very appreciated, if you can. It's a good thing you didn't throw this out!

Yes I can do it, though I am curious...I have one more magazine that has more info about Sonic 3 I need to look around (I am the kind of guy who doesn't throw game related stuff away) after a quick search I'll do it with gusto ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I assume it's the part where Knuckles is running along to the teleporters and such, and Sonic's just jumping, but it could be the fight. Also, isn't Sky Sanctuary from Sonic and Knuckles? So this may have been at the point where they weren't seperated games.

EDIT: also:

Sonic_Jam_6_-_Screenshot_3.png

yeah, "Dreds" is in Sonic Jam 6

Oh! Its that pirate game where Sonic is in Mario's world!

It could be related to this concept art of Knuckles.

Rfh.jpg

Oh my...and I thought Megaman's cover art was an abomination O.O is...is this even original?

3.jpg

I think the Sonic art could be this:

Sonic_136.png

Notice, the shoe in the bottom right of a magazine scan matches this one, and his belly in both this picture, and the scan are the same (noting the curve to the left), and so does the arm pointing up.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the Sonic art could be this:

Sonic_136.png

Notice, the shoe in the bottom right of a magazine scan matches this one, and his belly in both this picture, and the scan are the same (noting the curve to the left), and so does the arm pointing up.

Yap! Its the same one alright :D thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Notice the Redhog's original name, Dreds... Maybe they had even gotten Knux's design together by this point, but haven't though of the final name yet, and were still trying to make his pixel art. That would explain why they were using Sonic as a placeholder (to an extent).

The Sky Sanctuary pic is almost certainly a mockup; if you size it to match Sonic's sprite, Angel Island is much bigger than it should be:

LoUOs.gif

The AIZ pic is a lot more accurate, but I think they might've squished the background a bit.

Given this, this "red Sonic" may not have ever existed in-game, or even been anything Sega was planning; the guys at the magazine may have heard that Sonic was getting a spiky red rival, and extrapolated/made up a bunch of stuff

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys I found a neeeeeew thingy in the middle of my magazine box!

This one is from the same magazine company "Maxi consolas" and its from a month after the other magazine.

So This new pic shows "Dred" gliding...I guess...

13454.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Given this, this "red Sonic" may not have ever existed in-game, or even been anything Sega was planning; the guys at the magazine may have heard that Sonic was getting a spiky red rival, and extrapolated/made up a bunch of stuff

Are they even allowed to do that? I mean, yeah, there was truth to it -- but are they allowed to give loose truth like that? Guess I'd have to look at Portugal's press laws or something.

Are they even allowed to do that? I mean, yeah, there was truth to it -- but are they allowed to give loose truth like that? Guess I'd have to look at Portugal's press laws or something.
It's an old video game magazine; they could probably spout whatever ridiculous rumor or misinterpretation they could come up with.

The Sky Sanctuary pic is almost certainly a mockup; if you size it to match Sonic's sprite, Angel Island is much bigger than it should be:

LoUOs.gif

The AIZ pic is a lot more accurate, but I think they might've squished the background a bit.

It may not match the final game if this is what it really looks like, an early beta. Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mock-up screenshots can be created and released by SEGA themselves. After all, the infamous Dust Hill Zone mock up that was released to the media during Sonic 2's development was actually cobbled together by Brenda Ross, a graphic designer at STI at the time.

How would the two magazines obtain assets such as the Angel Island sprite or those desert sprites to create the a hoax like that? Because it'd seem a bit tinfoil hat-ish to assume it might not just have been an obvious placeholder beta.

• Thumbs Up 2

The size of some sprites may change during the making of a game, seems rather dificult to them back in the 90's having access to a game's sprites, especially an unreleased game! :S

13454.jpg

Edited by Youvegotthisobama
  • Thumbs Up 1

It may not match the final game if this is what it really looks like, an early beta. Just saying.
It's pretty clearly the same sprite of Angel Island; you can match even the little details (at least, what you can make out from the magazine pic) one-to-one. The pyramid, the house, the rivers, each mountain peak and...whatever you'd call the "mountains" on the bottom, it's all there. And if the magazine pic is from in-game, the final Angel Island sprite was shrunk down, and if that were true it wouldn't have details as clear as it does unless they were redrawn.

How would the two magazines obtain assets such as the Angel Island sprite or those desert sprites to create the a hoax like that?
How am I supposed to know what assets Sega gave them? Maybe they got a shot of Sky Sanctuary with Angel Island in the background, and pasted in a Sonic and a Sonic recolor.

Because it'd seem a bit tinfoil hat-ish to assume it might not just have been an obvious placeholder beta.
There's nothing tinfoil hatish about noticing that the proportions don't match. The life icon isn't the right size either, and I couldn't find a close match for the floor without stretching things.

This third pic isn't helping much either, considering it's using graphics from one of the multiplayer levels, but in full screen as if it's a normal level, with a weirdly cramped HUD that's different from both the final game and the previous pics (which look like the final, aside from the scaling issue).