Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Stages:Then and now

KHCast

The levels are boring to go back to after you beat them, I even get bored of watching internet videos of them. The boost formula just doesn't make for fulfilling gameplay after the first romp or 2 through.

Music is still incredibly awesome, probably the best soundtrack in the series.

• Thumbs Up 3

The stages I feel surpass the originals are.

Speed Highway: For being fucking cool and aweome.

Sky Sanctuary: For being a fully developed level

Seaside Hill: For having the best 3D level design in a Sonic game.

Crisis City: For obvious reasons.

Rooftop Run: Better designed, more lively, better music, etc.

And City Escape: For having improved 3D, Streetboarding, and truck chasing.

• Thumbs Up 5

I love Generations. I consider Sky Sanctuary a slight improvement over the original, aside from the game's physics but who cares?

Edited by MachSpeed

I'll probably do the bosses tomorrow since i'm pretty tired now.

Take a rest man, you have us a good read. I'm saving this as a pdf for when I'm bored on the train xD

*cleans off hands because hot cheetos are fucking awesome*

Boost, I agree with everything you said minus City escape's modern remix, All of RTR and well that's about it.

City Escape's remix was spectacular. True the stage in general was played VERY SAFE but I wouldn't touch that legendary stage. Back to the remix. My gosh was that spectacular. By far my favorite song in the whole game next to Crisis City classic. How they turned it up and changed it to where it fits in perfect with modern music was amazing. Nothing about it was fucked up.

As for Roof Top Run...That stage got an overhaul. You may not admit it but in generations it became very lively. Balloons everywhere, it just seemed like a huge party. The only thing that screwed that level up was the lack of human/animal life.

And yeah, Planet wisp....eh. It's an amazing level while you are still in the jungle/forest. But once you reach the factory, all the fun is instantly killed. And don't get me started on the classic version. That alone was my most hated level in the game. It was painful to play and all of the fun that the game built up to the point was destroyed.

Speed highway was played pretty safe too if you ask me. Well if you exclude DAWN. The lack of that was actually pleasing to me but it hurt the stage. Modern's remix was basically.....um remastered. That's really it. Now the version that played during the end credits was great. Just like the Crisis city remix that was also played in the credits.

SeaSide Hill is by far the best looking stage in the whole game. Why didn't sega max the visual quality of this game just for that one stage I don't know. It was a perfect modern stage in my opinion. This is hard for me to say since Jungle Joyride is my favorite sonic stage of all time. Nothing in SSH was bad. I mean nothing. The remix, the level design, the visual appearance. Perfect.

I don't see this, like at all.

I think he meant according to modern sonic terms.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's definitley not open world, but its still well spaces out in a good number of places.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Generations. I consider Sky Sanctuary a slight improvement over the original, aside from the game's physics but who cares?

I'm sorry but this has to be said. You enjoy SONIC '06! You of all people can't complain about physics!

Anywho. . .

Seaside Hill Modern, that is all.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sorry but this has to be said. You enjoy SONIC '06! You of all people can't complain about physics!

Anywho. . .

Seaside Hill Modern, that is all.

I said 'who cares' about the physics. I never complained.... LOL

S3&K is my favorite game, I love the classics but I'm not one of those people who loses their mind because the physics are different.

Edited by MachSpeed

It's definitley not open world, but its still well spaces out in a good number of places.

It really... doesn't. There are a few spots where the level is a bit wider but there's no reason to go there.

Umm...that's not cool, bro. :L
  • Thumbs Up 2

Having about 5 different routes to go to in the Turtle section of the stage feels like an enormous step up, and should be implemented more often.

Speaking of Seaside Hill, I think I loved the stage because of its classic and modern themes more than anything else. The stages themselves are spectacular, but I became REALLY enamored by it because of the tune going on. The original Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace themes, I couldn't care less about, and so my perception of the stages in Heroes were rather dull. But in Generations, I felt a great need to explore every nook and cranny of the stages because of how lively the tunes sounded this time around. I loved every second of it.

Same goes for Classic City Escape. I felt a great desire to actually escape from the city because of how the song changed in mood and flow all through it. Much more enjoyable than the original SA2 mix for sure.

Edited by Bobbyjosh
  • Thumbs Up 1

All of them are crap. On my first playthrough, my massive nostalgia boner pulled the wool over my eyes (except Planet Wisp, that level was shit right from the start). Later playthroughs, the nostalgia wore off, and all I saw was crap.

I still love Generations even after my nostalgia wore off a bit. There's nothing like a good run of Modern Chemical Plant or Sky Sanctuary to put you in a good mood.

I still love Generations even after my nostalgia wore off a bit. There's nothing like a good run of Modern City Escape or Speed Highway to put you in a good mood.

Had to correct you. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

My impressions are mostly positive and I think the Generations levels mostly improved on the originals although it feels a bit unfair to compare for example Classic Speed Highway with the original since the former lacks the all important Z Axis. I'll keep them brief.

Green Hill: I feel that the design of the classic act does slightly surpass the design of the 3 original acts. Its bigger and just feels more meaty. Modern act sucked though, too straight liney and nothing interesting going on. Felt like a tutorial level that prepares you for the real tutorial level.

Chemical Plant: I'm indifferent to its classic act, it felt about the same as the original act 1, yet a bit lesser than the original's act 2 I guess. Modern act was so-so, has a few interesting bits going on but is overall still too straight forward.

Sky Sanctuary: classic act on this one was just plain awesome, a great improvement over the original's single act. More interesting platforming, more paths, just overall a good level. The modern act was a prime example of a good 3D level, big, expansive, multiple routes, a level gimmick that works, it's good for a first level difficulty.

Speed Highway: classic act was pretty interesting, had more platforming than you'd expect a highway to have. Modern was good, but I'm not sure if I can call it an improvement over the original, felt too linear in comparison.

City Escape: the truck gimmick in the classic level is just brilliant, having that thing chase you making get through the place as quickly as possible, or risk getting hit and/or losing the quicker high road because of the destruction it causes. Modern was alright, an improvent but it felt really short though, just one noticeable big new section. The skateboard section was more interesting this time around, which I liked and so was the truck chase.

Seaside Hill: paths, paths, and more paths in the classic level, probably my favorite water level aside from Hydrocity. Modern is the pinnacle of 3D design, open doesn't begin to describe this one and so many paths this time around. it rapes the original so hard.

Crisis City: classic troll post. Nuff said. Modern is a bit disappointing considering it's so linear and coming after Seaside Hill, it's ok I guess. Better than the original though it's not saying much.

Rooftop Run: classic act is fun, especially the clock tower climb. Modern act is improved over the original, it's shorter but wider in that it has more paths and sections, still feels a bit lacking though. I love the lively makeover the town got, Pinkie Pie style!

Planet Wisp: classic act can feel a bit tedious because of all the spike puzzles, but I didn't mind it. Moder is a clear improvement of the originals, although the construction zone can feel disappointing after the amazing forest section in 3D. Truly feels like a waste of potential.

And hell why not talk about bosses too?

Metal Sonic: well the objective of the original was to race him, and this time it's to beat the shit out of him so comparing them feels weird. It's too simple. Doesn't feel like an improvement.

Death Egg Robot: certainly a much more interesting fight rhis time around though, much easier too. Remeber though, the difficulty of the original battle was solely on the fact that you had no rings. So I'm going with this one being an improvement.

Big Arm: this one's in the 3DS, I think it deserves a mention. It tries to grab you again but it has a few new moves this time, I'd say it's improved.

Shadow: the original was just running in a straight path until he let his guard down and you hit him. This you have to collect the chaos orbs to gain power to hurt him. It's an improvement.

Perfect Chaos: much improved from the original, putting some real obsatcles in your way this time rather than a random clusterfuck of tornadoes and beams

Biolizard: 3DS. It's exactly the same as it was originaly except this time you play as Sonic and you have a much more favorable moveset. It's too overly simplified though.

Silver: anything is better than the original. Gotta love how you just leave him lying in a pile of his own trash at the end, and the Silver Got Served acheivement.

Egg Dragoon: This time around you actually dight him as Sonic so of course it's an improvement. It's actually a bitch on hard mode, the only boss that can dish out blows and take them too.

Egg Emperor: once again, an overly simplified version of the original.

• Thumbs Up 1

All of them are crap. On my first playthrough, my massive nostalgia boner pulled the wool over my eyes (except Planet Wisp, that level was shit right from the start). Later playthroughs, the nostalgia wore off, and all I saw was crap.

Not sure if serious.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see this, like at all.

I was more or less referring to the fact that It's probably the best Modern gameplay has been when it comes to open gameplay.tongue.png

Not even Seaside hill or Sky sanctuary????or rooftop run?:o

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

that's all the game is, Nostalgia, and Solkia is right, it is just crap.

doesn't matter if the stages got wider and less linear because the gameplay Modern Sonic has isn't suited for open terrain, it's an on rails boost-a-thon, further proof of this is entering the park area in modern City Escape, you turn in long arcs or use the masses of barriers & grind rails to careen into rather than having Adventure/SA2 gameplay when at low speeds, for such an agile character Sonic handles like a fucking tank and no its not fun.

i'm still bitter as fuck about how much modern roof top sucks compared the original Unleashed version, the only thing i like about RR in Generations is the festival theme, everything else has been broken and nerfed incredibly especially the quick step section in the alleys, is severely broken to the point that sonic doesn't even need to quick step because he just bounces off the walls like rubber bands, and the boost-a-thon ending is boring and lacklustre due to the lack of robots to smash.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was annoyed that they even put Sky Sanctuary in in the first place. Ice Cap, Hydrocity, Lava Reef, hell, fucking Sandopolis would have been a better choice.

But that's all dust under the rug now.

I have Unleashed. I'll play Rooftop Run on that. I don't like Generations' version.

Seaside Hill? It's fucking Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1