Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

I just want to say that I can't stand Crash's design in Crash Landed. At least the Titans design resembled Crash. It's a bad thing when the new design looks like Fake Crash: A character designed to look as ugly and fake as possible.

There are different things that appeal to me about either design that the other doesn't.

I do appreciate both were pretty expressive, something even some of the more accurate incarnations lacked (eg. Twinsanity with it's creepy perpetual grin).

• 2 weeks later...

Well thank God for that if true.

It's refreshing to hear a developer outright criticize their game in that way. I'm very bitter over the sugarcoating (nay, sugar-burying) that games like Rise of Lyric had before release. It's just nice to have a dev talk straight to you instead of PR.

I'm pretty sure there were more factors leading to it's cancellation than being "not very fun to play." Keep in mind that from what we've seen in concept art and screenshots, it looks as though they didn't get far in development (some speculate that they're were developing a sequel to Mind Over Mutant first before starting a clean slate in the later half of 2009). Plus it wasn't just projects at Radical getting tossed out, Activision laid off dozens of other studios in Q1 2010. 

On a unrelated note, a friend of mine Matt Wallace got a hold of Dave Siller's booklet of Project Wombat (Crash 1's codename in early development). Very interesting stuff to behold:

2F73D694-2E4C-4F9F-A1B5-D1924021D579_zps

B08C6E81-1928-41D0-A4A6-47C04753A9DC_zps

3340195B-5F48-44E3-9460-3A61746857B6_zps

E312DB31-3945-406D-A850-B231A54A5184_zps

Oh shit, Proto-Joe is Lyric? The Naughty Dog influence on RoL is stronger than I thought!

Bon Rafei was around the time this was developed so it makes sense if he needed inspiration for the character. Oh BTW, those are all done by Charles; Joe P. would initially come up with rough designs (like the ones I posted a while ago) and Charles would later make refinements along the way (he refined them later again when Crash 2 was in development). 

Also, Dave posted this piece on his FB page. It's a proposal for the package design of the game. They didn't utilize it sadly (Charles made one in Jan. '96 and ND used that instead). 
E92EA731-6D8C-44ED-AAAA-6D5C2D1EA5B1_zpsTo be honest, I actually like this. Yes, I can understand that the one used was to make Crash a mascot-tier game and all but this is quite charming. Looks like the name Willey stuck around in the Universal offices for quite sometime (right up until that cartoon was made which was probably late 1995). 

On another note, the GBA Crash and Spyro games are possibly coming to virtual console starting with Crash XS. On the Japanese Wii U that the games were leaked on, Nitro Kart GBA and N-Tranced are also present. 

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer

On another note, the GBA Crash and Spyro games are possibly coming to virtual console starting with Crash XS. On the Japanese Wii U that the games were leaked on, Nitro Kart GBA and N-Tranced are also present. 

Nonononononoono, slow down right there!

That footage for both videos are pretty well rigged, until we reach Sept 30th and try to understand why the dude released the videos, consider it a hoax.

Yeah, not buying it. It's either a really high-effort fake, or a REALLY LOW-effort port and re-release. 

In other somewhat good news, Activision just filed a 10-year extension on their trademark "Crash" back on August 24th. That does not guarantee anything here... that being said, this mark was set to expire soon. It would have been allowed to lapse if it was not going to be used Activision has another trademark that covers "Crash" for video games, you do not need more than one for the same category. It's my opinion that they intend to release more games.

The 20th anniversary is next year, there has been increased pressure on Sony's 3rd Party Relations to work on getting Crash back, Activision has been constantly badgered with this for years, and have even been forced to make public statements over Crash's popularity - the time It is now, if there is a time at all.

Too bad it likely means absolutely nothing.

Anything goes but Sony had quite a few tricks up their sleeves. Nobody was expecting them to support and release both Shenmue 3 AND a HD remake of FF7 at E3 this year. Crash turns 20 next year so it'll be a wasted opportunity for everyone involved not doing anything about it. 

Case in point; if you really wanna make an impact, I suggest you tweet the shit out of the #buildingthelist campaign Sony has going on. If Sony managed to get Shenmue (still a Sega IP) AND a FF7 remake, I'm pretty sure something can happen. Tweet to PlayStation's third party branch like Adam Boyes, Yoshida, and Gio Corsi about this. Every little bit helps get the word out. Oh and add #CrashBandicoot20 as well. 

Anything goes but Sony had quite a few tricks up their sleeves. Nobody was expecting them to support and release both Shenmue 3 AND a HD remake of FF7 at E3 this year. Crash turns 20 next year so it'll be a wasted opportunity for everyone involved not doing anything about it. 

Case in point; if you really wanna make an impact, I suggest you tweet the shit out of the #buildingthelist campaign Sony has going on. If Sony managed to get Shenmue (still a Sega IP) AND a FF7 remake, I'm pretty sure something can happen. Tweet to PlayStation's third party branch like Adam Boyes, Yoshida, and Gio Corsi about this. Every little bit helps get the word out. Oh and add #CrashBandicoot20 as well. 

You forgot to mention that the Trademark for the series has been updated with an extension for 10 years under sections 8 and 9 ("Crash")

You forgot to mention that the Trademark for the series has been updated with an extension for 10 years under sections 8 and 9 ("Crash")

I explained that in an earlier post. 

Recently Shuhei Yoshida claims the best way to get Crash on modern platforms (including the PS4, of course) is to get Sony's 3rd party relations team working on it -- so you need to show them your support. 

I'm working on some ways to get the attention of the people who need to hear it, but in the mean time, those of you with Twitter, tweet the following message:

#CrashBandicoot20th @amboyes @giocorsi @PlayStation @Activision #buildingthelist

Let's help find Crash a new home on modern consoles! Be sure to Tweet! If you don’t have a Twitter, be sure to share this information with your friends and/or fellow Crash Fans.

Want to see Crash make a grand return? Now’s the time to act!

BBDB1915-A224-4471-A3CC-B72AC317FD0C_zps

Edited by CrashRatchetFan

I'm sure Sony, Activision, as well as many other studios knows how much Crash's fans want a new game. It's no secret to anyone, I periodicaly read in gaming forums people that didn't even played Crash comenting on it... We've been vocal enough, especially during the PS All Stars Battle Royale development. No twitter campaign will change the fact that Activision are complete jerks. If serious companies like Sony and SuperBot couldn't, what chances do we have now? Sony is probably trying to reach Activision with all the Crash references they been doing in the last months. If it's ever gonna work it's another story...

Recently Shuhei Yoshida claims the best way to get Crash on modern platforms (including the PS4, of course) is to get Sony's 3rd party relations team working on it -- so you need to show them your support. 

I'm working on some ways to get the attention of the people who need to hear it, but in the mean time, those of you with Twitter, tweet the following message:

#CrashBandicoot20th @amboyes @giocorsi @PlayStation @Activision #buildingthelist

Let's help find Crash a new home on modern consoles! Be sure to Tweet! If you don’t have a Twitter, be sure to share this information with your friends and/or fellow Crash Fans.

Want to see Crash make a grand return? Now’s the time to act!

BBDB1915-A224-4471-A3CC-B72AC317FD0C_zps

Well by modern consoles, I'd prefer it be all instead of just one these days.

Well by modern consoles, I'd prefer it be all instead of just one these days.

Exclusive or not, it's ideal to get this out to Sony's third party brass ASAP via Twitter. 

If Street Fighter and Shenmue 3 managed to get PC ports (albeit not for other consoles), I'm pretty sure Crash'll go the same route. 

I can see it being exclusive to PS if Sony EVER adquire the rights of it. Sure Crash went multiplatform right after CTR, but I don't think SONY would allow anyone but their first parties to work on Crash. Not to mention it would boost the PS4 sales even more (not that they need any help with that, but still). For me at least it would be the definitive reason to buy one. I'm already considering it for U4 and the TLoU 2. I would consider even getting a Vita if Crash gets a game for it. Personaly, I feel like a PS exclusivity would feel more... Natural. But IF going multiplat won't affect the game's final quality, I say go nuts and release it on every system on the market. People need to know Crash.

I can see it being exclusive to PS if Sony EVER adquire the rights of it. Sure Crash went multiplatform right after CTR, but I don't think SONY would allow anyone but their first parties to work on Crash. Not to mention it would boost the PS4 sales even more (not that they need any help with that, but still). For me at least it would be the definitive reason to buy one. I'm already considering it for U4 and the TLoU 2. I would consider even getting a Vita if Crash gets a game for it. Personaly, I feel like a PS exclusivity would feel more... Natural. But IF going multiplat won't affect the game's final quality, I say go nuts and release it on every system on the market. People need to know Crash.

As much as I love to see Crash being under Sony's umbrella as an exclusive, that'll never happen. Let me explain:

They cannot scoop up the Crash IP. That is not how trademarks WORK. 

A trademark is how you protect an IP YOU ALREADY OWN in the BUSINESS world. The trademark is NOT the IP itself

Activision owning the Crash trademark is so they can use Crash in trade so they can protect their property with a legally recognized ownership, they don't just stop owning it because the trademark is dead

What WOULD happen if the trademark ran out is that someone could come along and make a new series of games and CALL IT CRASH BANDICOOT, because there's nothing being put into market called that that it could be confused with anymore... but they could not use the already existing characters and worlds and gameplay elements of Crash Bandicoot as we know it, because THAT is the property of Activision.

What people are failing to realize is that by renewing the trademark, they are essentially saying "hey, we are going to continue using this material that we own in commerce, nobody should be allowed to use the same name because it may confuse people" and NOT saying "hey, we want to keep owning this IP, better not let someone else accidentally grab it" 

I work with packaging design, so yeah, I perfectly understand what you're saying. Didn't know the same rules applied to videogames tho it makes sense, it's still product after all. But to maintain the ownership say, "valid", the owner has to release something signifcant to the market. Which means Activision must create something new under CRASH name... the only thing I'm not 100% sure is if it has to be a videogame. Do you know?

Edited by Jango

I work with packaging design, so yeah, I perfectly understand what you're saying. Didn't know the same rules applied to videogames tho it makes sense, it's still product after all. But to maintain the ownership say, "valid", the owner has to release something signifcant to the market. Which means Activision must create something new under CRASH name... the only thing I'm not 100% sure is if it has to be a videogame. Do you know?

They currently own four *separate* Crash trademarks, and this one they've just updated was coming up for renewal at the end of the year, I believe. The thing is though, renewal = intent to use. It can't be argued, since they've actually let two of their Crash trademarks die. The fact they're renewing some of them and not all of them shows they intend to use the IP, for whatever that may be. It's worth noting the 'specimen' they provided is a picture of MoM DS on sale and CBNK2 on sale. They have not printed a copy of MoM DS to sell in YEARS and I have that on good authority. They would never use an unannounced product to renew a trademark, so they had to use CBNK2 -- I'm not saying to expect any new games any time soon, but a renewal of the trademark shows Activision intends to keep producing and selling products using the Crash Bandicoot name -- the renewal in 2011 was for "Crash Bandicoot" (and maybe "Crash Nitro Kart"?) and was intended, in my eyes, to cover the sale of CBNK2 (it was released in 2010, a year before the trademark renewal) back when it was still popular. Four years on, that game has lost a lot of steam, and is nothing Activision would spend time or money on 'saving' by renewing the trademark. It's my opinion that they intend to release more games.

The 20th anniversary is next year, there has been increased pressure on Sony's 3rd Party Relations to work on getting Crash back, Activision has been constantly badgered with this FOR YEARS, and have even been forced to make public statements over Crash's popularity -- the time is now, if there is a time at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if Tony Hawk Pro 5 is anything, I guess for better or for worse,  we can hold solace in the fact that Activision's determination  to keep their child dead fingers wrapped around the rights to a franchise will probably eventually yield us a Crash Bandicoot product of some sort. .........sigh. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if Tony Hawk Pro 5 is anything, I guess for better or for worse,  we can hold solace in the fact that Activision's determination  to keep their child dead fingers wrapped around the rights to a franchise will probably eventually yield us a Crash Bandicoot product of some sort. .........sigh. 

Wasn't the sole reason as to why THP5 was made because the license was set to expire this year? Hence a rushed and unpolished turd that's largely unplayable? 

Nope,  actually they were pulling a Fant4stic from what I've heard;  a new title to keep the license to the rights before they expire. 

Wasn't the sole reason as to why THP5 was made because the license was set to expire this year? Hence a rushed and unpolished turd that's largely unplayable? 

Even then, it's not like the immediate Tony Hawk games that came before it were all that better (Ride, Shred, THPS HD).

So yeah, with that in mind I wouldn't trust Activision to do the IP justice. I'd rather Sony or someone else get their hands on Crash.

Edited by Gabe

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone believe me if I said Crash Bandicoot started life at Hanna-Barbera? Well, it did.

Back in late 1994, Mark Cerny was shopping around Hollywood looking for artists to help create Crash's world. He commissioned Hanna-Barbera to help create the character (Willie the Wombat by this point) and Butch Hartman took the task. Check out some of his concept sketches of the Willie character:

7B93DC82-5227-4DD5-B9C0-0106D1F92EFE_zps

13BEE1A9-2AF6-4B82-80B8-FF6E06A13FE1_zps

E81557F4-5794-4430-A834-9F98BC55F33C_zps

7A935017-A7F7-426B-BFCF-0074C6E0AC94_zps

Unfortunately, nothing phased out and Dave Siller got a hold of Charles Zembillas & Joe Pearson who'd help establish Crash's world and the rest is history.