Awoo.

Does Sonic really need a story?

Bright Eyes

I have just replayed Sonic 1, 2, 3AK again and was rather surprised by the lack of storyline in the games. It was all very simplistic and, to be honest, I prefer it that way. Part of the reason I temporarily ran away from this franchise was because of the terrible stories in Shadow and Sonic 06.

One of the main complaints with Sonic Generations was how terrible the story was (which I have just completed now fun-illy enough). But would you rather have the outdated moody story Adventure 2 had? Which let's be honest was a bit naff.

So does Sonic really need a story?

Sonic Generations story isn't really terrible, it just felt empty and bare bones.

And yes, yes he do need a story. All the games has a story no matter how little or or how big it is.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic 1, 2, 3&K and CD each have a big story, they're just underplayed in the earlier three. Also, yes, it is important, otherwise, why should I care about what's going on on-screen?

To be honest they don't have big stories. Sonic 1 and 2 virtually don't have one, Sonic CD has a very light rivalry with Metal Sonic that consists of about 2 scenes and Sonic 3 has a more substantial story but still very light.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic has a fantastic mythos filled with very interesting characters and a splendid world.

It absolutely has the potential to have great stories, they just need to bother tapping into it.

• Thumbs Up 7

I agree that Sonic has a great mythos and there should be direction in the level art design and some small cutscenes to bridge the levels. That is a great idea.

Do we really need deep and complex storylines though? I always thought Sonic stories were always so hard to take seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think they should go the classic route. The story is there, but it's subtle and doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.

I'd also like to see the "Nature vs Machinery" concept actually come back.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think they should go the classic route. The story is there, but it's subtle and doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.

Just like in Sonic Colors.

• Thumbs Up 2

A story on SA1's scale with Colours/Generations' writing and lightheartedness is pretty much what I'd like to see. The characters, mythos and world are so promising, but they've never really grasped it...

• Thumbs Up 2

12865287778984a2bt3gigc_medium.jpg

Wow, ninja'd by Miru

Edited by Soniman

In all honesty Sonic is a children's game. There's nothing wrong with adults playing children's games in the same way that there is nothing wrong with adults watching Toy Story.

The way Sonic was getting more mature was frightening (because it is a kid's game). I think that it is difficult to make a well crafted storyline without making it mature.

That's why I think the stories should be light.

It was cool, but I want to see more of it, and I want to see it affect Sonic's world.

Imagine something like Sonic CD where you can gradually watch a world go from a dark, machine filled mad house to a peaceful grassland, but in full HD?

It was cool, but I want to see more of it, and I want to see it affect Sonic's world.

Imagine something like Sonic CD where you can gradually watch a world go from a dark, machine filled mad house to a peaceful grassland, but in full HD?

That would be a great idea! It isn't a massively complex storyline though which is what I'm trying to get at.

Sonic 1, 2, and CD do have stories.

1: Sonic notices his animal friends are missing, so he goes to stop Robotnik from taking over the world, turning it into a mechanical wasteland and getting the Chaos Emeralds.

2: Sonic comes to Westside Island, and meets Tails, a lonely fox who was always bullied. After letting the kid fox follow him around, Sonic and Tails go to stop Eggman from getting all 7 emeralds and building the Death Egg.

CD: Eggman constructs Metal Sonic and goes to Little Planet to find the time stones and take over the little planet. Sonic travels to Never Lake to see the Little Planet, but finds it taken over by Eggman, so he goes up to find out whats going on and meets Amy in Palmtree panic, but Amy gets kidnapped in the next zone, so now Sonic has to find the Time Stones, Stop Robotnik, and Save Amy.

To ask if Sonic needs a story or not suggests that Sonic both didn't have a story originally, and that having a story is a necessity. That's like asking, does Sonic need to be a hedgehog. No, he doesn't have to be a hedgehog, he could be a fighter pilot from Neptune.

A story isn't something that a work needs, it's something that makes us care about the work; it's what immerses us in what the creator is showing, and lets us form a connection to it.

So to ask whether Sonic needs a story or not is fruitless, and it'd be more appropriate to ask if the story needs to be so big and dramatic.

Edited by Rusty Spy
  • Thumbs Up 6

I think the beauty of the classic Sonic games is that you don't have to sit there for 20 minutes watching an opening scene to set the story. You hit the ground running (literally), and figure it out as you go along.

The difference is that the "dark" Sonic games often had really shaky writing. I think a semi-dark Sonic game can work if it's handled in a way that is more than just GRIMDARKZ. The kinda tone in Unleashed would work well with the right writing direction.

I think someone needs to establish the difference between Dark, Deep and just childish.

Because I don't think I've ever played a Dark Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 4