Awoo.

Do you think the fanbase overrates the latest games? (As in Colours and Generations)

Chaos Warp

Spawned from a discussion I had in the statuses: Do you think that the recent games are overrated by the fanbase? Touted as great, when you think they are merely good?

Personally, I don't think so. While the latest games are nowhere near perfect, the series still features amazing music and aesthetics, likable characters (well the ones they use right now anyway), and while the current platformer-mixed-with-F-Zero gameplay doesn't have as much depth, it still feels like Sonic and is definitely unique, and most of all, really, really run, and that's what matters to me personally. I think these games deserve the praise they get.

Thoughts? Discuss!

Edited by Zero

yes, i didn't get the hype over Colours when i played it, it was average and the Wisp gimmicks and heavy platforming was a huge chore and frustrated me rather than generate fun.

Generations was short, and the majority of it's love came from people blinded by Nostalgia.

i'm still bitter about how they butchered Rooftop Run, its not GREAT or AMAZING its good, but for it's day one price it certainly wasn't worth the price of a full game, it felt like a downloadable title at best.

• Thumbs Up 6

I consider the 3D gameplay of those games a little overrated, if nothing else then because the majority opinion seems to be that their style of 3D gameplay is better than the Adventure-style gameplay, which is something i dont agree with at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't have a DS or a Wii so I couldn't play Colors, but I watched some of the cutscenes on YouTube and I thought the voice acting was pretty good, I haven't seen gameplay though. I did buy Generations on Steam and I think it's a really good game. It's the first Sonic game I've played so nostalgia doesn't factor into it at all. It's really fun, and it's really pretty and colorful. The soundtrack is also great. So this is one Sonic fan who thinks it's awesome even without the nostalgia.

Edited by Frogging101

Depends on who you ask. Each person will give different answers and within the fanbase, I've seen a pretty even spread between overrated and underrated.

I found both disappointing at first but they really grew on me.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I can't attest to Colors, but I do think Generations is overrated. It's fairly fun in it's own right, it's by no means a BAD game. It just isn't nearly as good as, say, S3&K.

Maybe because they are the only thoroughly good Sonic games we've had in a while...I love Unleashed, but it's definitely not a thoroughly good game.

Edited by KrazyBean

I don't really like SG all that much. Yea it has amazing level design and really good gameplay engine but overall I find it boring to replay. Probably 'cause of ranks. They are way too easy.

About Colours.. well... I WANT IS SO BAD! Unfortunately I don't have Wii so I can't play this game but I think it's awesome 2D platformer as I played it a few times (my friend owns a Wii). I just wish it would be ported to PS3/360.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't attest to Colors, but I do think Generations is overrated. It's fairly fun in it's own right, it's by no means a BAD game. It just isn't nearly as good as, say, S3&K.

I'd have to say Generations surpassed S3&K by a long shot on my standards. The only classic it didn't outdo is Sonic CD. While I love Generations for the throwback to enhanced classic stages from S3&K as well as Sonic 1 & 2, I still crown CD. I think because while Generations has Classic and Modern Sonic, it's focus is still on Modern Sonic, thus having fans more expectant of material from the classics.

I think the classics are overrated, honestly. Can't comment on Generations (it looks awesome), but Colors... I'm on the edge. I think Colors was better than Unleashed, but I do think it was a little overrated. Granted, I never owned Colors; I just rented it and cleared 90% of the game in two days. I honestly think that's kind of sad... That includes getting all the red rings and the Chaos Emeralds.

I really, really don't see the appeal in the Boost. I think its op and simply degrades the gameplay. The raceway type games don't appeal to me as much as SA2 or even SA1 for that matter, and I didn't like SA1 that much... My annoyance with SA1 stems from 4 useless gameplay styles and incredibly easy Sonic/Tails stages until the last couple of stages.

In SA2 I actually had fun with the alternate styles, though I would prefer just having Action Race stages with all characters. And in SA2 the Sonic/Shadow stages weren't incredibly short and easy. The early ones were easier, obviously, but they didn't give me the vibe of "ok, that was pointless," because of just HOW easy they were (in comparison to SA1's stages...)

I'd rather have a cross between the Unleashed Day formula of gameplay and the Adventure games. Hopefully they can make it work well... I don't mind toggling between 3D/2D so much, but 3D doesn't seem to be as fun. They should be able to add more platforming and less boost spamming/running in the 3D portions. I'd actually rather they just take out boost all-together and put spindash back in, really...

• Thumbs Up 2

No, not at all. I see more and more naysayers bash and criticize these games nowadays (pretty much how they criticize every new Sonic game that isn't like their precious classic or Adventure games). If the fanbase or non-fans seems to 'overrates' them cause they're just happy that we are getting some decent games out of this series again.

I like what Colors and Generations did for Sonic. Say what you will about them but they actually put him in a more positive light and he slowly getting some popularity back. He went from being a huge laughing stock to now starring in a Progressive commerical and being one of the main characters in the Wreck it Ralph film and he might appear in more ads, movies, etc if this keeps up. That's some good progress right there compare to how it was over 5 years ago. It's pretty damn satisfying to see more and more people jump in Sonic's defense when the media feels the need to make an hate article or 'worst of' list. biggrin.png

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 3

Worst case, there's Sonic 4 and Generations Classic. Games that mimic the Genesis originals, without understanding why those games worked in the first place. It's like cargo cult game design, they just use the recognizable symbols (2D, GHZ, the spindash, the classic design) and expect that to magically create success.

Exactly the point I meant . They throw this stuff in to please the fan's cravings for original content. Sonic 4 has it bad. (Music sound font, recognizable tunes.) Fans that see this go apeshit and over analyze, causing others to join instead of giving their own developed opinion.

So no.....Sonic is not in the golden age anymore. He's just the prop machina that Sega needs to stay alive.

I hate to be that guy considering everyone here has a boner for those games, but yes.

These games aren't bad by any means, but they aren't particularly good either, they're.....passable, I give Sonic Team props for ironing out the problems, and Modern Sonic controls almost perfectly in Generations, but I feel like they stopped caring about innovative gameplay and just decided to cater to the lowest common denominator who enjoy nothing more than going fast and looking for cheap thrills, with the most basic, and simplest of platforming available. Even their 2D games seem to be getting worse, and feel more like cheap nostalgia cash in's than actual games. Yes, out of all three Boost games, Unleashed would be the best considering how much effort they put into it, but they spent more time trying to sell their stupid gimmick instead of polishing the game, and as a result it's no more mediocre than ShTH or Heroes. Colors is boring, and basically the Daytimes stages stripped down even further, and Generations, while technically being the best, just lacks the effort to be considered good.

I attribute this more to Hype Backlash, these are the first decent games in the Post-06 era, of course people are going to latch onto them and think they're better than they actually are, anything would look great next to 06. These games are only good, they're not bad games per se, but they aren't really anything special. Sega are just getting by at the moment, and they're too afraid of criticism to try anything different.

• Thumbs Up 1

But could you please stop comparing the gameplay style of a 3D game that came out in 2010 to the gameplay style of a 2D game that came out in 1994?
Maybe once they manage to outdo the games that are about two decades old.

There's going to be changes, as shocking as it may sound. Not all are going to be good, but they aren't going to completely ruin the game unless they make another Sonic 06 mistake.
Not completely ruined, you say? Oh, well, I guess I should settle for "only mostly ruined", then.

I'm pretty sick of people acting like I'm only complaining because the games are different.

Not at all.

The games often get bashed to death for not being like Classic Sonic. With regards to Generations' "Classic Sonic", that's a fair argument.

But I don't see why 3D Sonic games should suck up to the mostly overrated (but admittedly great) 2D Classics.

They shouldn't "suck up" to the Genesis games. They should take the concepts that drove those games and expand on them, instead of abandoning them.

Colours is certainly overrated. It's a great game in it's own right, one of my absolute favourite Sonic games in fact but it's not the saving grace of the franchise in any way, shape or form. The game is clearly afraid to push the boat out and whilst it has some bloody good ideas, it's still fairly pedestrian in how it carries them out (Only two Wisps per act? Why? The Wisp forms could've been used so much more). It feels as if it overwhelmingly abided by 2D gameplay and didn't do anything of particular noteworthiness in 3D. That and it's story and characterisation was very hit and miss. Oh it totally nailed some things such as Eggman, Cubot and Orbot ( I LOVE those guys) and Sonic-Tails bromance (Simply brilliant) but it fumbled the ball a good few times as well and it was so fixated on exemplifying it's tone that it neglected telling a story a bit too much. Soundtrack was incredible though.

Generations? If anything, I find that underrated. Yeah it lacked the wonderful level of world-building Unleashed had and it had the lifespan of a sickly Mayfly and Classic's physics were slightly off (Not that it seriously impeded the game at all. It didn't) but it was still a thoroughly entertaining experience from start to finish and it's level design curbstomped Unleashed frequently. It featured some very good characterization despite it's simplistic, uninvolved yet still charming story (That line "Enjoy your future. It's gonna be great!" still stands as one of the greatest and most coolest lines that ever came out of Sonic's mouth) and it's soundtrack was fantabulous.

• Thumbs Up 1

and Classic's physics were slightly off (Not that it seriously impeded the game at all. It didn't)
It did if you actually expected it to play like a classic game.

(That line "Enjoy your future. It's gonna be great!" still stands as one of the greatest and most coolest lines that ever came out of Sonic's mouth)
I don't get this. Like, it's not a bad line, but I don't see why it would stand out at all.

I don't get this. Like, it's not a bad line, but I don't see why it would stand out at all.

I think it's trying to say despite all the shit the franchise has been subjected to, it's still going and will keep going, or that Sonic had fun on his adventures or some shit.

I think it's trying to say despite all the shit the franchise has been subjected to, it's still going and will keep going, or that Sonic had fun on his adventures or some shit.
Well if you go meta, then Sonic's "future"...really hasn't been great. And if it's just that Sonic's enjoyed his adventures...well okay, but why's that noteworthy?