Awoo.

Do you think the fanbase overrates the latest games? (As in Colours and Generations)

Chaos Warp

No. Dare I say, after replaying Adventure 2 on XBLA, Im starting to think the Adventure series are the overrated one.

And I used to love them!

For me, the 2d/3d formula of the newest games is the way to go, because it offers the "best of both worlds" in Sonic's gameplay aspect. It needs more refinement in the 3d areas though.

Also, Colors IMO is the best Sonic "3D" for that reason, and also because the levels are huge and have way more alternates paths than any other 3D Sonic, more reminiscent of S3&K and CD. Wisp were a fun addition too.

Also, I like the simple stories for it, and the lack of 200 secondary characters that looks more lame every new game is a godsend. I.

I play Sonic games for fun platforming, and too many cutscenes can be a chore (even more it they have are like SA2 or 2006, they were trying too hard to be serious, deep and dark that IMO looked ridiculous). Its the same way that I play Bayonetta for slashing angels, so I didnt care about its story, or when Nights: JoD ruined itself over the original one adding too many cutscenes.

IMO big stories should be for story-focused games (RPGs and such) but thats a very personal opinion and more and more people are starting to disagree with this generation where every game needs to have a big story for sell.

Edited by Ferr

Considering how the fans seem to constantly criticize whatever they can about them, and anyone outside the fanbase call them fantastically brilliant...

To be fair, we criticize anything past 1994, so.....

And even 1, 2, and CD are no longer immune. I've said before and will likely say again 3&K is the sacred cow that you pretty much can't say a bad thing about tongue.png

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

And even 1, 2, and CD are no longer immune. I've said before and will likely say again 3&K is the sacred cow that you pretty much can't say a bad thing about tongue.png

Doesn't stop people from trying tho.

I think the reason people within the fanbase find these games lackluster is......well, damn there's no scale at all, they're just so......uninteresting. I mean Unleashed has a far larger scope than either game despite technically being worse, and I can at least respect it for that even if I don't like the game. I think that's a problem with the 3D games, Sonic Team either feel ambitious they spend more time on their cute little gimmicks instead of polishing the game, or they just don't give a fuck and just shell out any game they can.

It's kind of annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, we criticize anything past 1994, so.....

Also anything before 1994. Also things in 1994.

Also anything before 1994. Also things in 1994.

If we do, we sure as hell don't do it a lot.

EDIT:OH yeah, that was a thing wasn't it.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

You don't remember that topic about Sonic 1 where people saying it was a bad game? That wasn't that long ago.

If we do, we sure as hell don't do it a lot.
Most people roughly agree that they're good games (even if we don't all agree on exactly how good) so they don't tend to spawn arguments, there's less to criticize in general, and most of the arguments have probably already been had over the ~20 years since their release, compared with games that have only been around for a few years. So yeah, it does happen less (a lot less), but they aren't off-limits, they aren't exempt from criticism.

There was a period of time where the fanbase overrated Colours and Generations. For the former it lasted until... about March of 2011. For the latter it lasted until... perhaps a bit shorter. I'd say February of this year. I must have been out getting lunch the days most people collectively decided to hate both of them though, because it surprised the shit out of me when I saw it pop up like I was just... expected to not like them.

To be fair, though, it's definitely cyclical. I've lost track of how many times Adventure 2 has gone from widely praised to "It was always bad and you should feel bad for ever liking it" and back again, and the full cycle has happened at least 3 times with Heroes.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Barrel of Doom.

There, I just said something bad about 3&K.

• Thumbs Up 1

The new games are underrated, always being compared to shit from damn near 20 years ago instead of being compared to ... the lastest release? 1994 is NOT the standard anymore, I would say the last good 3D games are the standard as that's working. Like 'em or hate 'em it's WORKING. I wish there was things they change too, but if I have to sit thru sonic G to get a better game in the future fine. Just make the games playable ( which they HAVE been ) and we're good. So yeah.. I see more HATE then love towards ANYTHING recent... it's kindof getting old.

I completely agree with Nepenthe's post (the one just a page before mine).

If the game's good to some, it's just... Good. To some.

Sure, Generations isn't a very long game, and its plot is short, but I for one believe it's a very well polished game, and deserves all the love it gets from some fans. But if you don't like the game, you don't like the game. If you do, you do. Overrated is relative, only applicable on not many things. This isn't part of them. Opinions will stay as opinions. We can discuss about it (respectfully or not) all day, but everyone's opinions will remain the same.

Not trying to destroy the merit of intelligent debating and formal discussion, but let's try not to get too touchy with stuff. This discussion is being pretty tame otherwise. I'm just saying.

Well, Sonic isn't getting any more successful.

But, to be fair, some fans will ALWAYS claim that "Sonic is back" after each and every release. It's been like this since Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Well, Sonic isn't getting any more successful.

But, to be fair, some fans will ALWAYS claim that "Sonic is back" after each and every release. It's been like this since Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Actually if you look at the progression from Sonic '06 (dark ages of Sonic right there) to Generations then you'll see that it has been getting more successful and well received.

Also, welcome to the forum :)

Edited by Frogging101

Overrated? lol

This is probably because GameFAQs has clouded my judgement, but I see just as much hatred for Generations and Colors as any other non-classic trilogy game that isn't Sonic 06.

Sure, I see a LOT of praise from it, but nowhere near enough to deem it overrated. The number of people who don't like it/hate it that I've seen more than makes up for the praise.

I love the classics as much as anyone, and I'd love to see Sonic Team make a true Classic-Sonic in 3D that trumps S3&K, but I think some people have way too high of expectations/standards that they will never be pleased.

seriously, I have no idea how the few who have literally hated EVERYTHING that came after 1994 are even still following the series (of course, this is an extremely small number of people).

Edited by Mr.Snarf

I think Colors and Generations are simply good, not great. They need to bring back the original gameplay, that is the only way to make a good Sonic again. Other methods do not work.