Awoo.

The NiGHTS Topic

In celebration of my sweet 16th, and the release of the HD port of NiGHTS into dreams, I decided to make a topic about the magical nightmaren. Meeee~! Since 1996, I've starred in 3 games, two of which are main games, and a promotional one. Now, let's talk about the 3 (technically 2) adventures of myself!

NiGHTS Into Dreams...

tumblr_mbr3j5ZmXZ1rcpfkho1_500.jpg

Developer: Sonic Team

Publisher: SEGA

Platform: Sega Saturn

Release Date: July 5, 1996 (JP) August 31, 1996 (USA) October 7, 1996 (EU)

Genre: Platformer, Action

You see that the developer is Sonic Team, right? But you notice Sonic is nowhere to be found in the title, or in the boxart. "WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT? A GAME BY SONIC TEAM WITH NO SONIC IN IT?" It seems so. This is the sexond game from Sonic Team to not have Sonic in it, the first being Ristar for the Sega Genesis, released in 1995. My game was released worldwide in mid-1996, exclusively for the Sega Saturn.

When released, it became the best selling game on the Saturn, and critics praised the game to sky heights, getting rave reviews across the board, and selling over 2 million copies. NiGHTS is seen by critics and fans alike, as one of the best, if not the best original title on the Sega Saturn, and praised as one of Sega's greatest games, and one of the greatest games ever made, for it's innovative and creative gameplay, amazing visuals for its time, and soundtrack. Unluckily, the Saturn was nearing it's death, and with Sonic X-Treme, meant to be the console's seller and to also compete with the upcoming Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64, and Crash Bandicoot for the Sony PlayStation, being cancelled. NiGHTS had defined the Saturn, but it did so too late.

The Story

The game involves two children, Claire and Elliot, in the city of Twin Seeds, who have gone through certain failures. Such as Elliot liking to play basketball, but is constantly losing to people from another grade. Claire wants to sing for a play, but is nervous due to stage fright. When they go to bed, they have nightmares that replay the events. Every night, all human dreams are played out in Nightopia and Nightmare, the two parts of the dream world. In Nightopia, distinct aspects of dreamers' personalities are represented by luminous colored spheres known as "Ideya".

However, the evil ruler of Nightmare, Wizeman the Wicked, is stealing this dream energy from sleeping visitors to gather power to take control of Nightopia and eventually the real world. He later creates numerous beings called "Nightmaren", including two "Level One" Nightmaren, acrobatic jester-like, flight-capable beings called NiGHTS and Reala.

However, Nights rebels against Wizeman's plans, and is punished by being imprisoned inside an Ideya palace. But, Elliot and Claire both possess an object the Wizeman cannot steal, this is the Red Ideya Of Courage. They later release NiGHTS, and NiGHTS tells the children of the Wizeman's plans, and the three go on a quest to save Nightopia and defeat the Wizeman.

Gameplay

NiGHTS into Dreams... is split into seven levels or "Dreams", each divided further into four "Mares" and a boss battle. The levels are distributed equally between the two child characters; three are unique to Claris, three to Elliot, and each play through an identical final seventh level, "Twin Seeds". Initially, only Claris' Spring Valley and Elliot's Splash Garden are available, and successful completion of one of these unlocks the next level in that child's path. Previously completed stages may be revisited to improve the player's high scores; a "C" grade in all the selected child's levels must be achieved to unlock the relevant Twin Seeds dream for that character.

2141780313_6bcd241721.jpg

The first level in NiGHTS, Spring Valley.

At the start of each level, Wizeman's minions steal all the character's Ideya except the rare red type representing courage and take them to separate Ideya Captures. The goal of each of the four "Mares" in each level is to recover the stolen Ideya by collecting 20 blue Chips and delivering them to the Ideya Capture, which will overload and release the orb it holds. It is possible to complete some of the levels' goals by wandering around the landscape of Nightopia as Claris or Elliot (pursued by an egg-shaped alarm clock which will end the level if it catches the player), but the majority of the gameplay centers on NiGHTS' flying sequences, triggered by walking into the Ideya palace near the start of each level and merging with the imprisoned acrobat.

nights_into_dreams_9_605x.jpg

In the NiGHTS sections, the player flies around a particular linear route through the Mare. The gameplay as NiGHTS is not completely 3D: players can only fly in the 2D plane of the screen, with their actual motion through the level determined by the automatic camera angle at that point in the Mare. The player has only a limited period available before NiGHTS falls to the ground and turns back into Claris or Elliot, and each collision with an enemy subtracts five seconds from the time remaining.

Various acrobatic maneuvers can be performed, including the "Paraloop", whereby flying around in a complete circle causes any items within the loop to be attracted towards NiGHTS. The game features a combo system known as "Linking" whereby actions such as collecting items and flying through rings are worth more points when performed in quick succession than they are individually.

After completing the four Mares, the player is transported to Nightmare to confront one of Wizeman's Nightmarens. The player has two minutes to defeat the boss, with the time taken contributing to the player's total score for that Dream. After each boss is defeated, a player can play a level again, and choose via the menu which boss to fight.

Christmas NiGHTS Into Dreams...

Christmasnights.jpg

tumblr_mbr4jd23kF1rcpfkho1_500.jpg

Developer: Sonic Team

Platform: SEGA Saturn

Release Date: November 22, 1996 (JP), December 1996 (USA & EU)

Genre: Platformer, Action

This isn't really a standalone NiGHTS game, but it still counts. Christmas NiGHTS was originally released in Japan, bundled with the Christmas-theme Sega Saturn, and was never sold as a standalone product. In the US, and Europe, it saw release in various magazines. Christmas NiGHTS is not a full game, and it consists of only one level, the first from the original game, Spring Valley. Except, it's Christmasified! This is obvious, due to the snowing, Christmas trees, presents, and me wearing a red instead of purple suit. The gameplay is also identical to that of the first NiGHTS. As a bonus, Sonic is a playable character if you choose the "Sonic The Hedgehog into dreams" mode.

christmas_nights_ps2.jpg

And now, we finally look at my latest game, from 5 years ago.

NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams

nites_wii_box_2.jpg

Developer: Sonic Team & Sega Studios USA

Platform: Nintendo Wii

Release Date: December 13, 2007 (JP), December 18, 2007 (US), January 25, 2008 (EU)

After more than a decade of being out of the main gaming scene, speculation by news sources and fans alike, and making countless cameos in SEGA games, I finally had gotten a sequel announced in 2007, which is Journey Of Dreams. Takashi Iizuka had begun work on it after Shadow's self-titled game was released in November of 2005, when actual development began in May of 2006. Shortly before, Yuji Naka, the producer and lead programmer of the original NiGHTS game, announced he was resigning from Sonic Team and starting his own game studio, Prope. Due to this, Iizuka would become the director and main game designer for NiGHTS 2. After much rumors and speculation, Sega finally announced NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams during April of 2007. After many long-time NiGHTS fans were patiently waiting on the hype train, JoD was released in JP and the US during the Holiday season of 2007, with Europe not getting the game until the January of the upcoming year. Reviews of the game ranged mostly from mixed to positive, with critics praising the visuals, gameplay, and storytelling, but criticized at times, frustrating controls. Many fans have also criticized the game for departing from the first NiGHTS'' original formula, and the fact that it never references the events of the first NiGHTS game.

The story in this game is extremely similar to that of the original, with the Wizeman controlling Nightmare, and wanting to take over Nightopia, NiGHTS rebelling against his plans, and getiing punished, and two children, which are now named William & Helen, facing failures, and having constant nightmares replaying them while in bed. The children then later also free NiGHTS, and plan the stop the Wizeman.

original story do not steal

The gameplay is also similar to that of the first NiGHTS game, but is now much more in-depth. Instead of flying through loops, collecting orbs, and going through Mares, NiGHTS is able to use different masks to transform into different objects. Such as the Dolphin Nights allowing NiGHTS to go underwater, the Rocket Nights allowing NiGHTS to travel at high speeds, and Dragon Nights allowing NiGHTS to pull through strong currents of wind. Another similarity between the two games is that there are 7 worlds total, and that there is a boss fight at the end of each world. A new addition is local and online multiplayer, where you are able to race your friends locally, or with people around the world in different worlds from Journey of Dreams.

nights-journey-of-dreams-20071218034744263.jpg

And that's it, everybody. If there ever is a chance of a new NiGHTS game being released, what are your ideals for it, and what new features would you like to see implemented in it? What do you like about the NiGHTS game, and what do you dislike about them?

Edited by NiGHTS
  • Thumbs Up 8

I bought JoD for 8 bucks at Gamestop.

And it sucked.

Also the purple text is hard to read, change it please.

Edited by Enderwoman

I know you're trying to do the Nights theme and everything but can you change the text color back to normal. It's pretty hard to read it in purple.

Edit: Thanks

Edited by Nintendoga

I bought JoD for 8 bucks at Gamestop.

And it sucked.

Also the purple text is hard to read, change it please.

I would like to see a new NiGHTS game. Could you possibly change the colour of the text it's hard to read.

Changed the color back to Automatic.

My brother played the Wii one and he hated it. I still need to get the HD Release of Into Dreams though and a Saturn at that.

I got Journey of Dreams for a bargain on amazon last year for 11 bucks. Definitely not a very polished game. Very rushed. And the graphics don't look like they took any advantage of the Wii's power. Bad animation and boring cutscenes. Controls take along time to get used to even with the gamecube controller. Stupid game design for having to play thru children levels.

They should've had a first person flight mode (think mirrors edge except flying). That would have been AMAZING. I admire them trying to bring back a chao garden sort of thing, but it wasn't interesting like SA2's. All the CG cutscenes should've been cut and the money that went into producing them going to the actual game itself.

Also NiGHTS flight physics don't look as fun as the original NiGHTS game. I've never played the original, but I can tell just by looking at it that the flight gameplay looks much more fluid and faster.

Once you do get used to the controls it can actually be fun. But the terrible budget is embarrassing and it shows. It doesn't do anything innovative or better than the original.

And as I recall the game sold poorly. Which is probably why they don't want to make another NiGHTS.

Shadow the Hedgehog on the contrary I really enjoyed. JoD is definitely ST USA's worst game. Heroes had more playability factor to it for me.

To be honest, never played it, JoD doesn't look that good anyway.

In a nutshell the developers took NiGHTS and Sonic'd it all the way to hell.

It was a very rushed game as stated above, not much strong voice work with Wizeman being the notable exception, visually not all that impressive in game, and of course mandatory genre roulette. It didn't really build off of anything the original Nights did gameplay wise, though it does barrow from NID in bosses and the kids inner dilemmas.

But to it's credit it did give Wizeman a much needed update to his design.

Boss_Wizeman.jpg

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm just about to download HD NiGHTS into Dreams... for PSN. I'm so excited!!! I played the hell out of the original, so I'm really pumped to play it once again! biggrin.png

And yes, JoD pretty much blew.

Edited by Sapphire

I will read the whole first post in a minute but wasn't Ristar the first Sonic Team game to not have Sonic in it? ...Sorry xD

I will read the whole first post in a minute but wasn't Ristar the first Sonic Team game to not have Sonic in it? ...Sorry xD

dammit, i forgot about that star thing

The chase missions from JoD are in my opinion superior to the normal NiGHTS gameplay in the original. Not only are the levels bigger, you actually feel like you are a magical creature flying around in a dream world rather than a goldfish swimming in a bowl, but they are more interesting too with more gimmicks. The persona masks are a nice addition too allowing NiGHTS to transform into a dolphin (automatic under water), a rocket and a dragon too. The visuals are top notch for the Wii and even more colorful than 'Into Dreams' also the sound track is better too in my opinion. However, JoD has more to offer unfortunately and that's where it deserves harsh criticism: the platforming missions, the story, the voice acting, some other terrible side missions and finally bosses that are very badly designed. Also the controls take some getting used to as well.

I still think it is a fantastic game and if you enjoy the original you will have some good times with the sequel too because it really does have its incredible jaw dropping moments like Memory Forest at night,when the flowers light up blue it really does remind me of the jungle scenes from Avatar.... Anyway I love this game despite its flaws!

Edited by LvL100Magikarp
  • Thumbs Up 2

I also really enjoyed JoD. While it definitely has its flaws, it made some really nice expansions on the gameplay of the original, the visuals are still chock-full of charm, and the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic. It was the first NiGHTS game that I got a chance to play and I definitely think that it's a great game despite its shortcomings.

• Thumbs Up 1

JoD is definitely ST USA's worst game.

Shadow the Hedgehog on the contrary I really enjoyed.

You are a sad, strange little man.

Journey of Dreams was by no means an excellent game. The storyline is one of the most dull I've ever had to sit through, the platforming missions with the kids were boring and idiotic (though there were only four of them), and it didn't have the best boss design, either. But even for all of those flaws, it still had plenty going for it. While the controls weren't as polished as in the original game, the flying levels were still very fun and all of them offered some really unique ideas and gimmicks, and the gameplay variety offered by the missions was also much-appreciated. Oh, and the visuals and soundtrack were also pretty amazing. It's far from the work of mastery that is the first game, but it stands pretty well on its own and if you ever compare it to Shadow the Hedgehog again I think I'm going to strangle a puppy srsly pls don't do that k.

NiGHTS into Dreams, on the other hand, is no doubt one of Sonic Team's crowning achievements and I'd even call it one of the greatest games ever made. I could sing the praises of the unique gameplay style, finely-tuned mechanics (and the port plays just fine too so screw you), incredibly creative levels and the excellent designs thereof, great boss fights, and what is quite possibly the greatest soundtrack ever composed all day, but one thing that's really noteworthy me is just how effective the storyline is. Without a single line of dialogue, it's able to convey a lot and the ending is incredibly satisfying. It talks so little, yet says so much, and to me, that's really special.

So yeah. NiGHTS is the best thing ever.

• Thumbs Up 4

if you ever compare it to Shadow the Hedgehog again I think I'm going to strangle a puppy srsly pls don't do that k.

Well, as they were both done by the same studio I think you can kinda...

Incidentally...

a] I really enjoyed playing and working on NiGHTS Journey Of Dreams

b] NiGHTS fans are the coolest bunch I've ever worked with.

c] Shadow did sell a LOT more than NiD: JoD. You can take that info however you fancy.

smile.png

Edited by ArchangelUK

c] Shadow did sell a LOT more than NiD: JoD. You can take that info however you fancy.

smile.png

I'll take it as incredibly depressing.

Whilst Ristar pretty much was made by Sonic Team (or at least, from a team comprised largely of Sonic Team members), it was never actually credited as such so probably wasn't a full Sonic Team project, so I suppose that only sort of counts.

Also, this is really bugging me now. I've done everything and have every achievement in NiGHTS HD, but I'm still missing two cutscenes from the Movie Viewer. I think they're the Christmas NiGHTS ones, but I don't see why I wouldn't have those since I've done Christmas NiGHTS completely too. Anyone got any ideas?

A82229EE-DF17-49C8-9F5C-5E5F17A63401-8192-0000055071759129.jpg

Whilst Ristar pretty much was made by Sonic Team (or at least, from a team comprised largely of Sonic Team members), it was never actually credited as such so probably wasn't a full Sonic Team project, so I suppose that only sort of counts.

Also, this is really bugging me now. I've done everything and have every achievement in NiGHTS HD, but I'm still missing two cutscenes from the Movie Viewer. I think they're the Christmas NiGHTS ones, but I don't see why I wouldn't have those since I've done Christmas NiGHTS completely too. Anyone got any ideas?

A82229EE-DF17-49C8-9F5C-5E5F17A63401-8192-0000055071759129.jpg

That's really weird. Did you by any chance complete the game with all As in your first run? I believe that each child has a normal ending and a secret ending. Normal is C or higher, Secret is all As. That's all I can think of that might be missing. :o

I think I've seen both endings, they usually depend on which child you finish the game as first. I *think* I've done it all, anyway. I might try recompleting the game as both kids.

I definitely didn't finish it with all A ranks on my first try, though.

*Jumps back into forum* Did somebody say NiGHTS?

Personally I think NiD and JoD as equal, there are somethings which the first game lacks which the second game has and vice versa. I first got into NiGHTS aged 15 through JoD so there is no nostalgia towards the first game. In fact JoD had such an impact on me that I refused a PS3 for my 17th in favour of a Saturn.

(I also don't need the PSN/Xbox/PC remake as the original's good enough for me)

• Thumbs Up 1

It's far from the work of mastery that is the first game, but it stands pretty well on its own and if you ever compare it to Shadow the Hedgehog again I think I'm going to strangle a puppy srsly pls don't do that k.

Shadow the Hedgehog had more playability factor for me. Even though shadow and JoD both suffered from budget problems, to me JoD was more offensive because I couldn't believe those graphics especially those cutscenes were developed for the Wii exclusively. With Heroes and ShtH, those games they had to make with 3 consoles in mind, so I was shocked when I saw how dated JoD looked.

The flying levels, once you get used to the controls, were fun. But I felt the game was really rushed. It didn't offer enough for me.

I think implementing a Mirrors Edge type First Person flight gameplay (which would take a lot of time and effort) but would've definitely been amazing, in addition to the classic gameplay which also needed tuning.

Actually that reminds me, I heard a rumor that JoD was originally made for 360 but Sega cancelled it and made Iizuka and team start from scratch a year before the deadline. If that's true that explains a lot. But if it isn't true then there definitely wasn't enough passion or time put into it. May 2006 to late 2007 just wasn't enough time for this game.

I have decided to start playing NIGHTS now.

Just played and beat the first boss (the Claris levels). Got to say, I really like this game. So easy to play. Nice music and graphics. It's fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been kind of impatient with the PC release since I've been wanting to play this again, so I just dusted off SSF for now. Actually performing well in the stages is a thrilling experience.

I forgot this was also a thing: