Awoo.

Telltale's The Walking Dead: The Game

Brad

walking-dead-s2-game.jpg

The Walking Dead is a point-and-click adventure game, played from a third-person perspective. The player can examine and interact with characters and items. The player must make use of inventory items and the environment; the player character often has limited time to do so and can die in the process. Quick time events are used for particular action scenes. The game also features role-playing elements, including moral decisions, which have consequences in relationship with other characters.

Season Two Summary

The Walking Dead: Season Two continues the story of Clementine, a young girl orphaned by the undead apocalypse. Left to fend for herself, she has been forced to learn how to survive in a world gone mad.

Many months have passed since the events seen in Season One of The Walking Dead, and Clementine is searching for safety. But what can an ordinary child do to stay alive when the living can be just as bad -- and sometimes worse -- than the dead? 

As Clementine, you will be tested by situations and dilemmas that will test your morals and your instinct for survival. Your decisions and actions will change the story around you, in this sequel to 2012's Game of the Year.

Season One Summary

If you haven't been playing Telltale's The Walking Dead: The Game, I'd highly recommend it to you. Deciding to focus on human interaction over FPS shooting

*ahem*activision*ahem*. Telltale's original episodic game series puts you in the shoes of Lee Everett, on his way to prison for murder as the outbreak begins. Things end not so well after crashing into a zombie, and eventually you stumble across a young girl called Clementine, who's parents haven't returned from a trip to Savannah. You promise to take care of her and set out together. Not only has the game received great reactions from fans, but also critical acclaim.

The main element of The Walking Dead: The Game's gameplay is it's story - you are Lee, and you chose what you say to other characters. You choose who to make ties with and who to hate, and shape overall relationships and sometimes fates of fellow characters with your choices. This also leads to some decisions which there are simply no right answers and you question your own morality. Are you a hero, survivor or villain? The Walking Dead makes you face these and believe me, some of these choices are heart-wrenchingly difficult to make when it boils down to it.

Latest News on The Walking Dead

Season 1

• Season One of The Walking Dead is available to download in full, now! 
  • Season One of The Walking Dead is the winner of over 90 GOTY awards, including the Spike GOTY. (x)

400 Days

• The Walking Dead: 400 Days DLC is coming early July, following the lives of five survivors. This game bridges the gap between Season One and Season Two. (x) Choices made in Season One will affect the DLC. (x)
  • It's out now! So go on out and download that delicious downloadable content.

Season 2

• Episode Three released on all available platforms.
  • First trailer was released on the 29th October. (x)
  • The choices made in Season One and 400 Days DLC are to carry over to Season Two, as revealed in the trailer description. (x)
Edited by Brad
  • Thumbs Up 4

It is rather good. Better than the TV show... I'd feel bad if I spoiled anything for anyone though o_o

Oh yes I love these games and have already gushed to several friends over it. I really really can't recommend them enough. It took me a while to take the plunge because I dislike point and click games with their crazy moon logic puzzles, but Telltale made the right choice in having none of that stuff in this.

While the game uses a point n click interface I'd actually call it more a "cinematic" or "story" game if I had to define it. To the point it's not really a "game" but an "experience". Like there is fun to be had in replaying it and trying different choices out, but really your first playthrough will always be the best one, as you let the natural story unfold with your natural choices.

And yeah I love the fact that there are never any "right" answers.

I think the biggest turning point for me was a choice in episode 3. MAJOR SPOILERS SERIOUSLY DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED EP 3 I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING.

So for the vast majority of the game I have been generally being "good". Not to get a "good" ending but that's just the person I am. I always pandered to Clem when it wasn't immediately endangering her to do so (even refusing to loot the car for example), and I tried to keep the peace and remain neutral between Lilly and Kenny, even though I liked Kenny more. So on and so forth.

Then Lilly shot Carley/Doug (Carley for me). Goddamn. I was SO flabberghasted. The decision came. Do we leave her behind. It's a timed choice and usually for the BIG timed choices I can't make up my mind until the very end. This one only took me about 25% of the time. I left her behind. We all got in the RV and drove off, and there was that shot of her alone in the road, with a zombie approaching behind.

Only then I thought... "what have I done". I reached my limit, and made a rash decision and was really left wondering "oh god should I have done that" when I had been so forgiving with everyone up to this point considering the terrible circumstances. Finally the zombie apocalypse had worn me down and changed who I was, just like it has to all the characters in the game.

Utterly brilliant.

So yeah. I'm so glad it's getting a second season. Can't wait for Episode 5. I also agree with Andrew, it's better than the TV show. I like the TV show but goddamn pretty much every drama that happened in season 2 was due to characters taking it in turns to be utter idiots.

And as one more shout-out to anyone who is currently like I was before I dived in, again: these games use a point n' click interface but have NO cockblocking annoying puzzles like the genre is known for - it is basically an interactive story (with major focus on the interactive). Don't avoid it if you don't like point n' click games!

Edited by JezMM

We have to communicate exclusively in spoiler tags... I accidentally this game on xbox, ps3 and Steam.

Lily man, I was on her side too! Kenny is a dick and he totally ignored EVERYTHING I did for him at the end of 4

My main thoughts are on my blog though.

Edited by Andrew Albacia
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since I'm going at iOS' snail pace, I watch the episode ahead and decide on what to do and it's still difficult when the decisions come down to it. ¬_¬ I've made myself loyal to Kenny though since y'know... shit goes down. :(

Fantastic game, sucks I didn't see this topic until just now!

I am so invested in the characters and each episode has delivered for me! The only downsides are the few occasions where you are given a false sense of choice.

Also, I love this video, but don't watch it unless you are fully up to date with the episodes (finished episode 4 as of this post).

• Thumbs Up 1

I am so invested in the characters and each episode has delivered for me! The only downsides are the few occasions where you are given a false sense of choice.

I love that though in at least the sense that it keeps you on your toes. For example, in ep 3:

It says "Carley will remember that" mere seconds before she is killed. I adore that they totally throw you off and keep you completely guessing at what could happen next like that.

• 3 weeks later...

550872_538496582831179_1490388039_n.jpg

Telltale Games announce release date of Episode 5: No Time Left

Telltale Games is pleased to announce the release dates for the SEASON FINALE of THE WALKING DEAD! It will hit on November 20th for PlayStation Network (North America) and November 21st on PlayStation Network (EU), Xbox LIVE Marketplace, PC and Mac via the Telltale Online Store and digital distribution partners such as Steam, and also for compatible iOS devices as the final piece of downloadable content from within the ‘Walking Dead: The Game’ app, available on the App Store.

We can’t thank you all enough for your incredible support and we can’t wait for you all to experience the season finale of YOUR Walking Dead story. With one week left until launch worldwide, now is a great time for you and your friends to catch up on the series so you can all experience the season finale and discuss it together.

Don’t forget to follow us on our other channels for news, info, and updates as the first season of The Walking Dead: The Game from Telltale Games comes to its conclusion in EPISODE FIVE – NO TIME LEFT!

Less than a week till international multi-platform release of the last episode. I don't know whether to be sad or happy. sad.png

Edited by Bradalay

And with that... the season finale is upon us.

It's been getting plenty of critical acclaim too. Here's a few gathered up reviews:

So grab your choice of device and get downloading now. And prepare for a pretty darn emotional journey. I look forward to seeing everybody's reactions to this episode. I'll be posting mine as soon as possible.

smile.png

Edited by Bradalay

Uuugh the episode 5 achievements are there on Steam but I just loaded the game and episode 5 is still "Coming Soon". I just drank coffee so I could stay up and play this. I dun wanna have to wait til tomorrow niiiiiight ugh.

So I just finished the game.

Holy. Shit. This game was a fucking masterpiece start to finish. Episode 5 had me shocked, laughing, sad, and maybe even a little angry. They really did a good job making you fit right into Lee's shoes. You could basically feel every emotion he was at the time, and even when there weren't any choices to make, the game still had you feeling like you needed to go, you had to save Clementine, you have to protect everyone as well as you can, etc. Truly a roller-coaster ride that I would ride again and again and again. The final scene with Lee and Clementine was pretty heartbreaking for me. I hate character death...especially when it's the main protagonist we've been with through and through. Lee, you were an awesome dude. You'll be missed.

I can't even wait for Season 2 already...

• Thumbs Up 2

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Season 2 of the tv series should have been like this, instead of all that nonsense at the farmhouse.

Edited by pooshoes

Guuuuuh that hurt. I didn't cry (which kinda disappointed me a bit... music wasn't sad enough or something), but the whole experience was pretty much intense from the balcony jump scene and just got more and more from then on. I had total butterflies the entire time, genuinely... well, scared for Clem and Lee. The atmosphere of the hotel scene was suffocatingly unnerving, and the final sequence was just... gah no words.

A fantastic conclusion for a fantastic series, I can't help but seriously wonder where they'll go from here for Season 2. Though the final choices most certainly look like they'll be drawing from Season 1 saves for Season 2, which'll be great.

Edited by JezMM

• 1 month later...

Okay, a bit of a bump but I just got the season pass and been playing over the past few days. I just finished.

First off, I want to say that this is the first point and click game that I have ever played and man did TellTale make me love this genre. It's like an interactive film. You play it not for gameplay but the experience. This game is a masterpiece. Best twenty bucks I've ever spent. Bring on season two.

This game made me so sad. I played a good guy throughout and just... damn. The stranger still made me feel like an asshole. And then Lee dying... That part killed me. No game has made me more sad. I can't even describe it. It's just damn. 

Had a similar experience with Jez. Been a good guy throughout and mostly staying on the fence. Then comes the choice with Larry. Being that I cared for the characters and didn't want them to die(Especially Clem), I sided with Kenny. I had a huge regret moment. Same when I ended up giving the girl the gun to kill herself. Despite my best efforts to be good, I ended up doing some bad things and it got to me hard. That's the sign of a damn well made game. Roger Ebert, if this doesn't prove games are art, nothing will.

Also I found this and it kills me.

tumblr_me8yrqzbtV1qa6it8o1_500.png

tumblr_me8yrqzbtV1qa6it8o2_500.png

tumblr_me8yrqzbtV1qa6it8o3_500.png

tumblr_me8yrqzbtV1qa6it8o4_500.png

tumblr_me8yrqzbtV1qa6it8o5_500.png

Even if you don't know where the lines are from, this is heartbreaking.

Definitely wondering what they're gonna do for season two.

Tried out Episode 1 because it was free. My eyes, ears and heart were welcomed by something great. I didn't know if I should have rescued this guy or this girl. And when one died, I felt horrible. I've never felt bad about making a decision in a game. This game man. I must play the following 4 episodes so I can die a happy gamer. 

Okay, a bit of a bump but I just got the season pass and been playing over the past few days. I just finished.

First off, I want to say that this is the first point and click game that I have ever played and man did TellTale make me love this genre. It's like an interactive film. You play it not for gameplay but the experience.

Just to warn, TWD is not the norm for the point and click genre.  The majority of point and click games are infamous for their high difficulty level and non-sensical puzzles - things they deliberately did not put into The Walking Dead so any player could enjoy the main attraction - the story.  Tread carefully when you try out other games, don't expect anything quite like TWD.  However Telltale's other games, namely Sam and Max and Monkey Island all have high praise (as do the original Monkey Island games).

Oh, also with regards to the gun issue in Episode 1...

I stand by my choice to give her the gun.  Considering how badly things go when you don't give her the gun, I think it's the kindest choice.  She has a horrible death otherwise.  In fact my one regret is that I didn't say "God bless you" afterwards, her being a religious person I thought that would be much nicer final words to hear than me just telling her I'm with her (even though that was nice too).

Urgh I love this game.  I wanna play it through again making different choices but I feel it'll ruin *my* version of the story and get me mixed up on what is "canon" to me when Season 2 comes out and obviously is affected by Season 1 choices.

Not all point-and-clicks are that difficult. Stuff like King's Quest tends to be on the complete end of the "what the fuck do I do" scale, while others like those by LucasArts tend to point players in the right general directions for most puzzles, and you also can't die or find yourself in an unwinnable position in more modern P&C games from LucasArts onward. Telltale's more traditional P&C games like Sam & Max (season two onwards) have a hint system in the form of Max, while LucasArts' remakes of the first two Monkey Island games have hints that come in multiple levels of helpfulness and explicitness.

Ace Attorney is also a point-and-click game by heart, despite having a visual novel interface. With some notable exceptions, the games are reasonably straightforward in what to do.

This game is simply amazing. I've only played Episode 1 and I was still amazed at how well Telltale crafted the Walking Dead franchise.

I'm still wondering though.. are there any "right" choices in this game? Like, is there a choice that has you save everyone during those "critical" moments?

This game is simply amazing. I've only played Episode 1 and I was still amazed at how well Telltale crafted the Walking Dead franchise.

I'm still wondering though.. are there any "right" choices in this game? Like, is there a choice that has you save everyone during those "critical" moments?

A lot of the game's story is pre-determined, with a very small amount of BIG changes as a result of your decisions (an example of such is the -big- choice at the end of Episode 1, which makes for a large difference in further episodes for obvious reasons).  Episode 5, being the final episode, does have a large amount of alternative scenes depending on your choices with regards to characters (and who the hell is even still alive at that point).

The heart of the game, and what changes greatly on every playthrough though, is how the cast react to your choices and how it affects your relationship with them, the most important one being Clementine of course.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm loving this game so much! The story, characters and tone are hands down the best that TellTale have ever done. The choices you make can often get quite hard depending on how you feel towards other characters. I've had many points where I don't know what to say. The story is so strong in this. Some moments got me teary eyed, especially episode 3 which was downright heartbreaking. I've never watched the show or read the comics so this game is my first introduction to the franchise. From what i've played so far, it's just incredible.

Just completed episode 4 and holy hell that last part... One episode left to go and I can't wait!

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

So yes, The Walking Dead: The Game has officially picked up over 55 Game of the Year Awards. Bravo Telltale! In Season 2 related news:

Telltale Working on Save Import Feature for Season 2

"Right now we are just starting to form the concept for season two. This all remains to be seen but we are definitely figuring out how to carry the saves over," said Telltale's CEO and co-founder Dan Connors, asked what the plans were for a second season of the game.

The implications for such a feature are many and various; The Walking Dead ends on a pretty definitive note, as anyone who's finished it will know, but is it possible that you'll encounter surviving characters again in Season 2, or learn what happened to those characters whose fate was ambiguous at the end of episode 5?

[source]

and in other good news for Telltale:

'The Walking Dead' Sells 8.5 Million Episodes

TellTale's The Walking Dead has sold 8.5 million episodes on all platforms, it has been revealed.

The game has earned TellTale an estimated $40 million, with the average revenue per user valued at around $16.

"To date, it's sold 8.5 million episodes and it's been in the marketplace for seven months," Telltale CEO Dan Connors told The Wall Street Journal.

"November and December were our biggest months. It was the culmination of the product, the game of the year awards, the retail push, and it still has a ton of head room in."

The episodic adventure game has been particularly successful on mobile platforms, achieving 25% of total revenue on iOS devices.

"The episodic model has allowed us to create an economy that works on mobile," Connors added. 

"As far as size, at this point it's probably about 25% of the revenue of the product and it is on the largest upswing of all platforms as well.

"I think we see with iOS products, we see more impact from when the show is on, when there's stress about the show."

[source]

Edited by Bradaboom
  • Thumbs Up 1

You remember how Telltale used to do a few dodgy things like the whole Jurassic Park meta-critic thing and one of two other questionable decisions? Well with the release The Walking Dead and the success of it, they're everybodies golden boy again who can't do no wrong...

Until today.

If you are unfortunate enough to own the Retail Version of The Walking Dead for the Xbox 360, you will know that the game is near unplayable. Freezes, crashes huge drops in the frame rates, quick time events being impossible. It's a mess.

So, after nearly a month. Are Telltale going to release a patch to fix the issues...

No... instead they posted this fix on their forums.

The Walking Dead – ‘Hitching’ on Xbox 360 4GB
After investigating reports of severe ‘hitching’ (gameplay interrupted by unacceptable freezing or stuttering) when playing The Walking Dead on Xbox 360, we have determined that this issue affects the following only:
Xbox 360 4GB models not fitted with an internal hard disk drive, playing the disc-based (retail) version of the game
This issue does NOT affect Xbox 360s fitted with an internal hard disk drive or Xbox 360 4GB (no internal hard disk drive) users playing the digital version of the game downloaded from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Remedy

Acquiring and installing an internal hard disk drive compatible with your Xbox360 4GB console will resolve this issue (a hard disk drive connected via your Xbox 360’s USB port will NOT provide a remedy).

If you are unable to acquire and install an internal hard disk drive for your Xbox 360 4GB, we will supply you with codes to download season one (5 episodes) of The Walking Dead from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace at no charge as outlined in the associated Claim Redemption Form [Click here to download].

Upon confirmation of proof of purchase, Xbox LIVE Marketplace codes and instructions for their use will be sent to you at no charge.

We value our customers and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Now shall we look at this fix in a bit more detail and some mathematics!?

Fix number 1: Buy a $100 hard Drive from Microsoft. A USB Drive won't work.

Fix Number 2: Claim a download copy from Telltale. Hmmm alright, so how much is The Walking Dead retail on Xbox 360? $30 (I imagine it's going to be around £25-£30 if it comes to the UK.)

How much is the digital copy? Depending on the bundle/deal... it's around $10-$20 for all the episodes.

Basically, Telltale decided, nah, why do we need to patch our broken game when we can rob our customers.