Awoo.

Why the animosity towards one another?

tenchibr

You know, I've been a member here for over a year now and, as much as as I love being here and getting to know all of the members, sometimes the behaviors conducted by some of the members here honestly makes me want to leave. I guess I should've known better, being a lurker since 2005 and actually making a short-lived account back before the Server Wipe, but it still gives me some distress how... unfriendly this place can be at times. I mean, I can still remember the trouble DistantJ went through against some members here over his opinion of Sonic Colors back in 2010, so seeing all this happen makes me feel a tad miserable...

• Thumbs Up 5

You know, I've been a member here for over a year now and, as much as as I love being here and getting to know all of the members, sometimes the behaviors conducted by some of the members here honestly makes me want to leave. I guess I should've known better, being a lurker since 2005 and actually making a short-lived account back before the Server Wipe, but it still gives me some distress how... unfriendly this place can be at times. I mean, I can still remember the trouble DistantJ went through against some members here over his opinion of Sonic Colors back in 2010, so seeing all this happen makes me feel a tad miserable...

The unfriendliness very rarely affects me directly (Most of the time I don't notice it, and even after it's pointed out I often still don't see it). It affects me through posts like this, where people who do see it are upset by it. That's what gets me down because I don't like to see fellow members unhappy sad.png

I used an analogy earlier in this thread; it's like there's something invisible going around stabbing people, that only I can't see. I can't see it but I can see its effects and that's what affects me more than anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Next time you feel the urge to be condescending to others, new members or not, ask yourself if doing so is really worth your time. If you think it is, go kill yourself as that sounds a lot more productive.

Robert-Downey-Jr-whoa-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28

Uhh....little too dark don't you think. 

I mean, seriously, I get what you're saying. It's a seniority thing, which i'm all too familiar with and don't favor.

If telling someone to kill themselves isn't full of animosity in itself, then tell me what is. It's insensitive and wrong, for starters. That's a big change in point of view from you considering that you made this topic in the first place with the hopes of the animosity toning down around here. That statement in bold sure isn't helping matters on reducing animosity. If anything it is probably going to create more, or it could. Not to mention it's false as your suggestion wouldn't be the least bit productive.

I agree dude. That was a bit of a step back.

Edited by Abominal Tazmas

Someone suggested to me to edit my post before others would see it to respond to it, but I chose not to. I was frustrated with the fact that there's still that negativity in the air, and I was tired of being so mild.

I am going to be bold and say that I believe that there are good and evil people and that most of the time, they stay that way. I don't think an evil person will do a full 180 over an online forum. Can they change? Sure, but I expect it to be over something more drastic like someone they might know personally, and that's if. So, in the meantime, I am sick of seeing people taking jabs at others and even if they get perma-banned, I don't think it's punishment enough if they made someone else cry or feel pain and shame over it.

I am not going to defend myself over this. If the fact that me expressing that people that hurt others maliciously shouldn't be alive is a crime, then I am prepared to be punished for it.

Edited by Phantom R / Tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 1

Someone suggested to me to edit my post before others would see it to respond to it, but I chose not to. I was frustrated with the fact that there's still that negativity in the air, and I was tired of being so mild.

I am going to be bold and say that I believe that there are good and evil people and that most of the time, they stay that way. I don't think an evil person will do a full 180 over an online forum. Can they change? Sure, but I expect it to be over something more drastic like someone they might know personally, and that's if. So, in the meantime, I am sick of seeing people taking jabs at others and even if they get perma-banned, I don't think it's punishment enough if they made someone else cry or feel pain and shame over it.

I am not going to defend myself over this. If the fact that me expressing that people that hurt others maliciously shouldn't be alive is a crime, then I am prepared to be punished for it.

I'm sure that no one here posts comments like this with the malicious intention to hurt someone. Again, what people said was relatively inoffensive. It was a problem because it's rude to make fun of people, but nobody was saying anything like "You're a fucking idiot for making retarded threads and I hope you die in a fire for being so stupid." or anything blatantly hurtful like that. People were being tactless yes, but not purposefully hurtful. I doubt that people were being evil with their comments.

I doubt that people were being evil with their comments.

I hope you're right, but you'd be surprised.

Edit: Let me emphasize that my frustration isn't just with the forum. Even though that's pretty much what this thread has been about, I was voicing out how I was feeling about people that are like that all around the world.

I can't apologize for what I said, but I can apologize for the lack of communication on my part. So I am sorry, but my aggressive statement was directed in a more widespread direction, and not directly here.

The events that transpired here though were the icing on a really bitter cake.

Edited by Phantom R / Tenchibr

I'm definitely one of the most fierce and chaffing members here when it comes to a debate, but you will NEVER hear me tell another member that I hope they go die or anything like that, dude.

That's...rather dark, man.

I will probably be suspended soon, so I just wanted to say, if I have really come across as a terrible person, if I have hurt any of you, I am sorry.

I am going to refrain from posting until/if I hear from a mod about what just happened and decide what to do about me, because it's anti-climatic to this thread, and even though it was not done with the worst intentions, it's causing more friction than I expected.

If things have been going better than when I first opened this thread, and I failed to see it, then it's time for me to move on from it. But thank you for at least listening to me.

I will probably be suspended soon, so I just wanted to say, if I have really come across as a terrible person, if I have hurt any of you, I am sorry.

I am going to refrain from posting until/if I hear from a mod about what just happened and decide what to do about me, because it's anti-climatic to this thread, and even though it was not done with the worst intentions, it's causing more friction than I expected.

If things have been going better than when I first opened this thread, and I failed to see it, then it's time for me to move on from it. But thank you for at least listening to me.

You don't have to apologize for all this.

I mean you did bring up a concerning issue and that's a good thing. I'll admit SSMB hasn't been so kind as of late and I really hope everyone would read through this thread realize that we do need to clean up our acts. I'm not saying SSMB should be all lovely dovey or anything, I'm saying SSMB should just be more kind to members here.

Sure that one post may had crossed some lines but I can understand that we can get frustrated and do things we aren't proud of.

Anyways I may be missing the point but I still think this thread was a good idea. So thanks for making it and addressing one of the issues SSMB has. All I can do now is really hope SSMB would really read through this and let this negative stuff become something positive but maybe I'm just being too wishy-washy right now.

Edited by Rachel Alucard
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think you're reading too deep into people's reactions here Tenchi, and letting your own current feelings take control of your mindset currently, I seriously highly doubt any Mod is going to suspend you over this, if anything I have a feeling Chris, BMN & Dread all commend you for stepping in and voicing your opinion on something that others don't seem to shout out about, I know I sure as hell respect you for this Thread, take a few days away from the forums to calm down, we aren't going anywhere, and Chris clearly recognizes there is a problem that he's been watching for a while, it's just dealing with it without punishing those that don't deserve to be grouped with those that need to be punished.

If I can just say something, if the status feed disappears I probably will too, it's the only thing besides discussion in the marketplace and occasionally other parts of the thread that keeps me coming back, otherwise SSMB is boring as sin if there is nothing to discuss.

• Thumbs Up 4

Can I speak my mind?

I almost feel like this thread contributes to the harshness and bitterness.

Like, I don't know if anyone else feels this, but I always get a "Ughhhhh, what did we do this time......" feeling whenever I see this thread on the front page of SSMB, and it kinda puts me off for a while. I think it might be better if the Mods just contacted people who were being too rude/harsh/rowdy instead of having members complain about it here without mentioning names.

If I can just say something, if the status feed disappears I probably will too, it's the only thing besides discussion in the marketplace and occasionally other parts of the thread that keeps me coming back, otherwise SSMB is boring as sin if there is nothing to discuss.

Yeah ^this^ sort of. I'm a long time member so I probably won't completely leave but my activity would seriously cut back. the statuses keep things interesting to me and keep me coming in from day to day.

Can I speak my mind?

I almost feel like this thread contributes to the harshness and bitterness.

Like, I don't know if anyone else feels this, but I always get a "Ughhhhh, what did we do this time......" feeling whenever I see this thread on the front page of SSMB, and it kinda puts me off for a while. I think it might be better if the Mods just contacted people who were being too rude/harsh/rowdy instead of having members complain about it here without mentioning names.

Yeah no sorry I don't agree to that either. this thread has helped contribute to the issues that have been and are still here. closing it and keeping things secret again won't help.

Edited by goku262002

Yeah no sorry I don't agree to that either. this thread has helped contribute to the issues that have been and are still here. closing it and keeping things secret again won't help.

Fair enough.

I suppose I'll just agree to disagree because I don't want to start a debate in this thread of all places.

I like to think I'm not a major dick but, I know sometimes I do put forward quite a bit of snark. I try to be nice to everyone though because, that's just in my nature in real life, a talkative outgoing dude who happens to be snarky from time to time. I do notice what you're saying, though. I swear this place wasn't as hostile just about half a year ago even.

• Thumbs Up 1

I swear this place wasn't as hostile just about half a year ago even.

No, it probably was, just it wasn't as noticeable then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know, I'm not so sure about this supposed hostility toward new members. I joined pretty recently, on October 6, 2012 to be precise. I went back and looked at some of my posts around the time I joined, and am recalling in general how my experience was as a new member. I don't remember anyone being hostile toward me or making fun of me. In fact, I vividly remember Kat telling me to get an avatar so I have an identity, which was nice. And I doubt that things have changed so much in 2 months that suddenly people aren't nice to new members anymore.

It seems to be directed at certain "types" of newcomers; specifically the ones that join and the first thing they do is make a topic that either has no discussion value or is against the rules. In other words, people who unintentionally draw negative attention to themselves in this way are the ones getting the negative attention. In a perfect world they would just be either ignored or guided with absolutely zero sarcasm but this doesn't happen for some reason(s).

• Thumbs Up 2

As a new guy I just want mods to know that I can only say positive things. Everyone has been kind, and open to discussions with topics I've started even though being new. I've had people offering their help with starting my pin collection, people volunteering for a little project of mine, "friending" me 'cause I'm new. Heck, I even got people wishing me for my birthday - wasn't expecting that. x

• Thumbs Up 2

Ya know, I'm not so sure about this supposed hostility toward new members. I joined pretty recently, on October 6, 2012 to be precise. I went back and looked at some of my posts around the time I joined, and am recalling in general how my experience was as a new member. I don't remember anyone being hostile toward me or making fun of me. In fact, I vividly remember Kat telling me to get an avatar so I have an identity, which was nice. And I doubt that things have changed so much in 2 months that suddenly people aren't nice to new members anymore.

It seems to be directed at certain "types" of newcomers; specifically the ones that join and the first thing they do is make a topic that either has no discussion value or is against the rules. In other words, people who unintentionally draw negative attention to themselves in this way are the ones getting the negative attention. In a perfect world they would just be either ignored or guided with absolutely zero sarcasm but this doesn't happen for some reason(s).

You're a special case Frogging. I'll admit when you first joined you were like one of us and you pretty much became a regular right off the bat.

But you are right about the newcomers who do post things that have no discussion value, etc. It is encouraged that members would just report threads and not to post in them which can add fuel to the fire. Its a shame we can't even follow our own rules. 

As a new guy I just want mods to know that I can only say positive things. Everyone has been kind, and open to discussions with topics I've started even though being new. I've had people offering their help with starting my pin collection, people volunteering for a little project of mine, "friending" me 'cause I'm new. Heck, I even got people wishing me for my birthday - wasn't expecting that. x

Not sure if you did get the SSMB welcome but welcome to SSMB! I hope you are enjoying the place as much as I have over the years. But anyways I'm glad people has been nice and helping and that's always a good thing. So I hope SSMB is a great experience for you and I hope you'll be like our regulars. Our regulars will show you the ropes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Rachel. The thing is, I probably know a lot you already from SoS2012. I remember signing up a month or so before and then coming back I recall some people I spoke to or saw. No, you guys are alright.

• Thumbs Up 2

You're a special case Frogging. I'll admit when you first joined you were like one of us and you pretty much became a regular right off the bat.
It's quite funny actually considering that I didn't even lurk here at all to get a feel for the place. I just noticed this site popping up occasionally in my Sonic-related Google searches. Then I just made an account and jumped right in. Looking back at my early posts, I'm actually surprised at myself for how quickly I figured this place out and got into the community, so to speak.

But you are right about the newcomers who do post things that have no discussion value, etc. It is encouraged that members would just report threads and not to post in them which can add fuel to the fire. Its a shame we can't even follow our own rules
Yes, this would be ideal. Personally, I don't bother replying to such threads anymore unless I legitimately have something relevant to say in response; I just hit report and move on. When the mods lock threads they always give explanations as to why, and when dealing with new users they tend to direct them to the rules in a friendly manner. In other words, if we report the topic and don't post irrelevant, "witty" comments or otherwise uselessly add fuel to the fire, the mods will sort it out and they consistently do a good job of it.

Also, don't think that posting sarcastic comments and such on these threads will help a new member get the hint; it won't. The comments make sense to us and we "get" the sarcasm because we're used to seeing these threads and we know what they are. But a new member doesn't understand any of these posts. They mistake them for legitimate replies so it's actually counterproductive.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have to be frank...

Looking at this topic, the attitudes, and the recent mod and admin updates on these things, I'd say that the SSMB is going through a similar period that it went through back in 2005-06 when the rage was at its worst. Newer members might not know what I'm talking about, but oldbies who have been around to witness that period before the server wipe can vouch for this and probably see what I'm talking about.

We went through a rather peaceful period (well peaceful by comparison to when ShTH and Sonic 06 came out) during the period of Unleashed-Generations, but now we're starting to sink back into the drama that was subdued until then. Or at least we're making a whole new version of it as newer SSMB members come into contact with the Old Guard and bringing some views that conflict and polarize what a lot of old members felt as stable on the forums.

Is any other oldbie seeing this now that I brought this up?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

I also would like to add this, sorry if it has already been said though.

Oldbies, or even those just 5 months old or more, the moment they see this kinda new topic that well, either is kinda lacking in content, just weird opinion-wise or something, like to go in there post a gif or quote the dude that made the topic and insult/beat them down blue and black and get likes, a lot of them.

Not making oldbies look like bad people, as many of them are quite nice. It's just the some of them or some of those who are in the middle between old and new that do this, sorry if anyone felt that I targetted them.

As much as we don't want to admit it, physcologically to most of us, that reputation score on out profile actually could affect people. They might wanna be the most popular people here and all that. None of us like to admit it, heck even I actually sometime have wanted to do this and get likes so I can be a more popular, 'cool' member but now I'm happy I've never got the opppurtunity to.

A way we can stop this from happening is well to not encourage this. Us liking their posts will encourage more members to do this kinda thing or encourage them to do more posts like this.

Of course, this won't stop and solve everything but yeah, just my two cents.

Also, it's nice that mods are finally cracking down on the drama thing, I've been in fault and I'm glad I've been punished, I won't repeat the mistake, the drama here could also cause some not so nice atmosphere here so yeah, nice job mods!

Edited by Christmas NiGHTS