Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Well no one is saying that EVERY Sonic fan is terrible, general community might think so but whatever.

But you can't deny that the worst part of the fanbase are pretty fucking noisy and whiny if they don't get things their way. *looks at the SA3 Facebook group*

That still exist? Wow. They were around when I was still a kid in grade school. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not........and based off the reactions I see around here, I have a feeling the answer is no. 

Edited by nintega137
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Possibly an unpopular opinion? The mandatory medal collecting in Sonic Unleashed actually ruined a portion of the game for me. I really felt like it was a hassle having to go back through most stages to dig around for medals. Kind of took out the pace of the game, I know it could have been for replayability or achievements, but overall it was just a feature I didn't like.

Also this could count separately, but I think Unleashed has the best story in the entire series. c:

• Thumbs Up 5

Possibly an unpopular opinion? The mandatory medal collecting in Sonic Unleashed actually ruined a portion of the game for me. I really felt like it was a hassle having to go back through most stages to dig around for medals. Kind of took out the pace of the game, I know it could have been for replayability or achievements, but overall it was just a feature I didn't like.

Also this could count separately, but I think Unleashed has the best story in the entire series. c:

Big part for me why the Wii version is better

• Thumbs Up 1

Big part for me why the Wii version is better

I played the Wii version back when it came out so I really can't remember. I'm guessing you didn't have to collect medals to progress in that version? c:

• Thumbs Up 1

I played the Wii version back when it came out so I really can't remember. I'm guessing you didn't have to collect medals to progress in that version? c:

nope you didnt. you didnt need to collect them to finish the game

• Thumbs Up 1

Not for anything mandatory, fortunately. You just get medals for clearing stages--the higher your rank, the more you get out of the total of 3.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Wii version was a slogfest compared to the PS3 version. I could take the medal collecting, I actually found that pretty fun. But when you present a boring world map form, the lazy Gaia gate thing, worsen how the Werehog performs and make his bits seem to go on longer (and miss out both Empire City and Adabat, two amazing parts)? Yeah, no, I'm not going to like that. 

• Thumbs Up 7

The Wii version was a slogfest compared to the PS3 version. I could take the medal collecting, I actually found that pretty fun. But when you present a boring world map form, the lazy Gaia gate thing, worsen how the Werehog performs and make his bits seem to go on longer (and miss out both Empire City and Adabat, two amazing parts)? Yeah, no, I'm not going to like that. 

Dude, I died countless times on both those stages (dear lord, the frame rate is so bad!), almost made me rage quit.

I also don't like the whole medal collecting... especially in boss stages as well!

But I've only played the PS3 version and not the Wii/PS2 version (which I wouldn't mind to play to see the difference, I hear the last boss battle is better than the HD one).

But Imma say one good thing about Unleashed. I liked the Werehog stages. Sure, there were countless times in which I died because of bad platforming, but I found those more enjoyable than the sloppish daytime gameplay. The controlling was so bad. The drifting sucked (the main reason I died in the first act of Rooftop Run was because of the bad drifting). But, I always found something to laugh at when play the Werehog stages, so that didn't make me rage nearly as much.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is an unpopular one: Sonic and Tails should just separate from each other. If Tails has no real role in the game he's better off gone than just 'being there'. Sonic should just go on solo adventures.

Yeah, the medal collecting was actually pretty fun for me in unleashed (only time it really bothered me was when I got to adabat and they wanted me to collect so many). The werehog in the wii version wasn't really bad per se but I definitely think they overdid it with the amount of levels they gave him, I never understood what reviewers meant by the whole "too many werehog stages" phrase with the HD version but I definitely got it with the SD one (especially since I played through the game like 3 times and am currently on the 4th).

Unpopular opinion: I hate the City Escape song. 

I hate it alot in Sonic Generations. Mabye its the tune thing or the words but I hate it. 

I think this is an unpopular one: Sonic and Tails should just separate from each other. If Tails has no real role in the game he's better off gone than just 'being there'. Sonic should just go on solo adventures.

What games do you think Tails hasn't had a "real" role in?

• Thumbs Up 1

I do want to see a game where Tails goes on vacation and Sonic goes stuffs without him, I want to see him also team with characters not Tails. The only friend they care about is Tails for Sonic so you cant say he doesnt have a real role. He does. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I adore Sonic Advance 2. I've always held the entire advance series super high in regards, and 2 has always been my favorite. It's definitely in my top 5 favorite Sonic games, and I feel that it's how a Sonic game should be. Boost mode is such a great concept, you unlock characters as you play, they have different moves and speed stats with Sonic at the highest of course, which I feel other games don't emphasize enough. You can have slower characters without them being painful to play. Plus having Amy as a bonus character for unlocking everything is just super cool in my opinion. I've always thought it's a shame how in most games you just get Super Sonic for collecting everything, that's cool and all, but it'd be nice to see others with a similar type of treatment.

I actually decided to buy the game again after not owning it since I was a youngster. It just arrived in the mail today and man I still love it just as much as when I was a kid, if not more-so since I'm pretty good at games now. I don't see anything wrong with it aside from the occasional bottomless pits and strange enemy placement at times. But finding ways to keep up your speed and momentum to keep boost mode active is so incredibly satisfying. When this game is played well everything just flows so smoothly, it reminds me of Sonic CD's intro. Like it's how Sonic actually moves around to me idk. It almost makes me sad how people have next to nothing good to say about Advance 2, heck even the whole advance series in general. They're not even bad like 06 or Shadow. Like, even people that like those games won't say their good. But the advance games seem to get so much hate. Maybe not hate, I guess they're just ignored or forgotten because 2 and 3 don't play like the classics and occasional bouts of poor level design. And it isn't even that bad though because I literally have my GBA on and in front of me and I've been playing this for a good while today. People love to exaggerate.

Oh well, I love this game. Always have, always will.

Edit: Just got all the emeralds as Sonic, ahh so satisfying

Edited by monkokaio

Unpopular opinion: I hate the City Escape song. 

I hate it alot in Sonic Generations. Mabye its the tune thing or the words but I hate it. 

Even the Classic remix of it? I actually found it to be pretty fun!

I do want to see a game where Tails goes on vacation and Sonic goes stuffs without him, I want to see him also team with characters not Tails. The only friend they care about is Tails for Sonic so you cant say he doesnt have a real role. He does. 

That's a good idea! I wouldn't mind seeing a Sonic game where it's Sonic & Knuckles. c:

Providing conversation and telling us things we could have figured out otherwise doesn't contribute to the plot in any significant way. I think you're being picky with my choice of words but you get what I mean.

Providing conversation and telling us things we could have figured out otherwise doesn't contribute to the plot in any significant way. I think you're being picky with my choice of words but you get what I mean.

Actually, no we don't. Especially considering all the games that have come before where Tails has done far more than that (SA1, SA2, heck even Colors despite how safe its plot was). It's not like Tails was the only one to suffer this problem either - that's a writing problem, not a character one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I strongly disagree with the Sonic fandom notion of "2D only, boost to win and Sonic with no friends. " is all that's needed to make a good game.

• Thumbs Up 5

I strongly disagree with the Sonic fandom notion of "2D only, boost to win and Sonic with no friends. " is all that's needed to make a good game.

What Sonic fanbase are you looking at? Most people don't even believe this.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually like the Wisps for the most part, except for the more forced/gimmicky ones in SLW.  I imagine they would have different effects on different characters, and the temporary nature of their powers doesn't make them displace the other characters. Although I think Yacker needs to grow a pair and stand up for himself by now...

Which would be fucking awesome. Think a benevolent version of Krang's 1989 toy, or something along the lines of Nuparu's Boxor.  I don't completely hate the Wisps.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually like the Wisps for the most part, except for the more forced/gimmicky ones in SLW.  I imagine they would have different effects on different characters, and the temporary nature of their powers doesn't make them displace the other characters. Although I think Yacker needs to grow a pair and stand up for himself by now...

Which would be fucking awesome. Think a benevolent version of Krang's 1989 toy, or something along the lines of Nuparu's Boxor.  I don't completely hate the Wisps.

I don't really like wisps much at all, but that's a really interesting concept. I like that idea, though we won't ever see it happen :c

I actually like the whole bright and shiny look the characters had from SADX/Heroes/Shadow/Riders.

2012-01-21_00026.jpg24735_full.jpggamings-most-notorious-anti-heroes-20120story_bab25.jpg

I know it's kind of a weird style considering the characters look like they've been wiped with wax and oil all around them.

But there's something about this glossy style that really appeals to me. I don't know if it's the reflection of the character's color that shines out or Heroes/Shadow's bright and colorful character models in general, but I personally like it.     

• Thumbs Up 6

What Sonic fanbase are you looking at? Most people don't even believe this.

The vocal fan base mostly, seems whatever Sonic game is put out is slammed by them for not providing fast enough gameplay, having anyone but Sonic and Eggman present at all ruins it and going by how often I see people whining that Sonic 2/Sonic 3&K are not remade with modern day graphics its pretty clear that 2D is the only acceptable thing to the vocal fans.

Listen, I had the great misfortune to be present on the SEGA forums doing the Sonic 4 EP:2 release, the Lost World release and the build up to Sonic Boom and each game was hated, complained and peed on by nearly everyone with more then a third of the posts either linking to videos of Sonic 2 or Sonic 3&K or calling for Sonicteam to get fired and replaced by Taxman and other fangame producers based solely on his great work in emulating old 2D genesis and Sega Cd games for the modern day consoles.

Hell Sonic Boom was declared a complete failure with a need to redo the old genesis games instead of produce that before any footage had even been released of the game itself.

if i want to be honest, I wouldnt mind a game like this. Except I like 3D. 

but i do agree thats not everything that makes a good game

Edited by Mikyeong

The vocal fan base mostly, seems whatever Sonic game is put out is slammed by them for not providing fast enough gameplay, having anyone but Sonic and Eggman present at all ruins it and going by how often I see people whining that Sonic 2/Sonic 3&K are not remade with modern day graphics its pretty clear that 2D is the only acceptable thing to the vocal fans.

I think you're confusing different groups of people. The kind of people who want more games like the Genesis Sonics usually aren't the kind of people who want Sonic to be as fast as possible. In fact I'm one of the people who wants Sonic to play more like he did in the Genesis games (though I'd like to see that in 3D too, and I'm not interested in remaking S3&K over and over again), and I've been against the boost gameplay and its super-high speeds because I don't think the Genesis gameplay is compatible with that.

Listen, I had the great misfortune to be present on the SEGA forums doing the Sonic 4 EP:2 release, the Lost World release and the build up to Sonic Boom and each game was hated, complained and peed on by nearly everyone with more then a third of the posts either linking to videos of Sonic 2 or Sonic 3&K or calling for Sonicteam to get fired and replaced by Taxman and other fangame producers based solely on his great work in emulating old 2D genesis and Sega Cd games for the modern day consoles.

Well, yes, because S4E2, Lost World, and RoL are all pretty bad games (or at least no more than mediocre), while the Genesis games are still great and Taxman did a great job of remaking them. People don't point to the Genesis Sonics because that's all they want to see, they're trying to get Sonic Team to realize that there was something special about those games that made so many people into fans, and they want to see games that understand and build on those things.

Wanting to replace Sonic Team with fan game makers...well that's short-sighted and hyperbolic, yeah. But they're at least trying to give fans some of the things they want out of the series, while Sonic Team just keeps disappointing us.

• Thumbs Up 2