Awoo.

Favorite title screen(s) from a video game

Whenever you get a video game, and you pop it in your console, GameCube, SNES, Genesis, PS3, DS, no matter what game you have, or what console it's in, you'll see a title screen introducing you to the game you're going to play. It could be bland, it could be fancy, it could be energetic, anything. The purpose of this topic is to share your favorite title screens from a video game, and why you like them, first, I will start.

Rayman Origins

Rayman+Origins+2012-07-26+09-49-49-68.jpg

Out of some of the title screens of the video games I've played, I haven't seen one with as much life and energy as Rayman Origins. The beautiful jungle setting in front of you, along with so many objects moving on the logo, and the melodic and cheerful music to go along with it just makes you instantly feel that this game is going to be a good experience.

Edited by American The Assface
  • Thumbs Up 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuQWVekKX8

tumblr_m5cf0xBR9c1qhi4j7o2_500.gif

tumblr_m5cf0xBR9c1qhi4j7o1_500.gif

The first time I saw this title screen I just sat there on it for ages. Beautiful music, gorgeous animation, deliciously mysterious, enticingly seductive, wonderfully different. Oh hey it's a title screen that is exactly what the game is all the way through. I don't think any game has ever captivated me within the first 10 seconds like this did.

(Oh and hey, listen to the whole song. It's more awesome than the first 20 seconds or so might make it seem).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have plenty, but right now I'll only say this one:

Sonic Colours E3

Sonic-Colours-title-screen.png

So fucking awesome, Planet Wisp looks so freaking pretty in this it's unbelievable. I would've loved if this was in the final game.

I'd name more but I'm lazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ I think I actually prefer the final title screen. It was really uplifting and pretty. I think the E3 title screen would have just made the lack of natural areas in Planet Wisp gameplay even more a cocktease, lol.

Also in response to OP, I can't say I was that fussed over Rayman Origins' title screen. It's nice but it's just kinda... there. Animated logo, background art straight from the existing level assets... I don't think I ever spent longer than 5 seconds on it, and I'm quite a junkie for hanging around on title screens.

• Thumbs Up 2

Force Unleashed 2.

I can't find a picture but it was cool and it made me hyped. Then I finished the game in about 2 and a half hours. dry.png

Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando

JdvnV.png

I just love this intro screen, it is probably the only one that I've spent more than 5 seconds looking at.

This screen is basically Ratchet playing himself in the game, but if you let it play for some time, he starts playing the 1st Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper.

It's always funny to watch how Ratchet reacts to what is happening in the screen of his tv.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando

JdvnV.png

I just love this intro screen, it is probably the only one that I've spent more than 5 seconds looking at.

This screen is basically Ratchet playing himself in the game, but if you let it play for some time, he starts playing the 1st Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper.

It's always funny to watch how Ratchet reacts to what is happening in the screen of his tv.

I love the Going Commando title screen also. It's also pretty fun when he's playing Ratchet 1, because he sucks at it. xP

Not quite a title screen but I can't think of anything else right now

(dunno how to get the video to embed :s)

I used to love this little easter egg in vectorman. I remember how awesome I felt when I first discovered it, back in my day you had to find the easter eggs yourself smile.png

I'll come back to this topic after I've had a think smile.png

Edited by Jake Bird
  • Thumbs Up 2

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time isn't my favorite Zelda game ever, but its title screen is one of the best. I love watching Link ride around Hyrule without a care in the world. The music is pretty wonderful too; very relaxing.

I've always loved how that music was a remix of the recorder jingle in the original Zelda.

Edited by cosmictruffle
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let me say, not only does Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time have my favorite title screen to a Ratchet game, but one of my favorite title screens of all time. Not only does it have the amazing picture of Ratchet & Alister staring on the sky at the edge of the cliff on planet Torren IV, looking at the Great Clock and beyond. The main theme of the game, playing along with it really sets the mood, and shows that you're not going on just any adventure, you're going on a galactic adventure, meeting new allies and enemies, and for one thing only. Finding your best friend.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, you know what? Screw my last post. I loved Spyro's title screen, don't get me wrong, it's magical, but I just remembered how amazing these are, and why I therefore can't just pick one:

Those two sit at the top of my proverbial list because they're the most outstanding intro screens from any game I care to remember. I don't want to over-analyse with music, visuals, how they entice you to play, so I'll just say this: I've not seen better title screens yet.

• Thumbs Up 7

My favorite bar none;

What's the best way of greeting a player to a game that's supposed to be a massive multiplayer 16-man Brawl?

Have all of the playable characters be shown hanging out in the titular bar of the game. Not fighting, bickering or even particularly being that hostile towards one another. Just hanging out, doing their thing. It's been quite a while since a title screen has weaseled itself into my mind and just hit all the right buttons instantly. The best part is when you hit start and funky jazz blends into the drum beat after Steve Blum's (or rather, Jack Cayman's) majestic "Max Anarchy" rings with a powerful reverb.

But it doesn't stop there. The multiplayer menu which still remains present at the background of the title screen

Pure genius.

As for runner up,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_9GBVc18Mk

People can argue all about which Metroid Prime was the best (personally I still believe it's the first one) but one thing the sequel has above the first one in my eyes is the best opening presentation. Metroid Prime was one of, if not the best game of Gamecube that ranks up as one of the best games of all time. In wait for the second great continuation, we all know it'd be a great game, and Metroid Prime 2 knew this as well. Epic title screen music, suspenseful cinematics and an awesome drop at the title screen recounting that all-too familiar main title theme.

Brilliant.

• Thumbs Up 6

This right here. Freaking epic. I think growing up with a Sega Genesis was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Gunstar Heroes has got to be one of the best action games ever. So chaotic and just satisfying. Plus the music is awesome. I love the opening and how it leads to 2 title screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMn1AN6Iclg

Edited by Urban Flow

Mario-head.jpg

For me, Super Mario 64 has the only title screen worth staying on for more than a minute, just for the fun of stretching Mario's face.

Edited by a person
  • Thumbs Up 8

brutalcover.jpg

This is the most creative title screen I've ever seen.

After Jack Black invites you, the player, to check out this album he lays it on the table. And when you press the button he opens up the album. His hands change the menu as you navigate through it, showing various parts of the album and its awesome artwork.

In fact its a real life prop obviously and it took a lot of work to get it done.

You can see what they did to make this title screen possible. Its pretty cool.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET
  • Thumbs Up 6

Now here's a title screen that would certainly stick with a four year old:

It's not particularly unique, and there's awkward dialogue with a cheesy 90s Rambo 'tude in the second half, but dude, the whole damn city is gone. And what the hell is that thing hovering above the remains?! Why am I playing this?!

That was my overall thought process the first time I didn't let my family skip the opening. It both terrified and pumped me as a little kid (mostly terrified; for a run and gun action game, it's certainly got a very creepy and twisted atmosphere about itself), and is probably part of the reason why Alien Wars remains my most favorite Contra game.

Pretty much any of the Genesis/CD Sonic game's title screens.

I also love the opening to SSBB's title screen, it's unbelieveably grand.

Edited by Kazaam
  • Thumbs Up 1