Nintendoga

Info on Shante and the Pirate's Curse.

- 3DS eShop exclusive

- direct sequel to Shantae: Risky's Revenge

- picks up where the last game ended

- Shantae is trying to adjust to no longer being a genie

- she's also trying to defend Scuttle Town from attacks by the Ammo Baron

- Risky Boots shows up on her door step looking for help

- Shantae's genie magic had split into 30 parts and bonded with Risky's tinkerbat minions

- the minions quickly mutinied and overthrew Risky

- the minions set out to resurrect Risky's mentor The Pirate Master

- the Pirate Master is a lot worse/a lot more evil than Risky

- Risky and Shantae must team up to stop the tinkerbat's from unleashing the evil of the Pirate Master

- regain all of Shantae's genie power by destroying the 30 evil tinkerbats

- Special Pirate Gear for Shantae to collect in order to reach new areas (Grappling hook, guns, knives, swords, etc.)

- Each piece of pirate gear will serve 2 purposes ( enhance mobility and act as a weapon for example a flintlock pistol can be used to kill enemies and hit out of reach switches)

- Each piece of pirate gear will be upgradeable at in game shops

- New and old locations throughout Sequin Land will appear

- The game will supposedly be twice as large as Risky's Revenge and go everywhere even the underworld and the heavens.

- A new/more Metroid style map system

- Alternate/hidden paths for those who are want to stay off the beaten path

- it will be in Stereoscopic 3D, with 3D effects similar to Mighty Switch Force

- Series composer Jake Kaufman is back composing the score for the game

- Familiar characters like Rollytops, Uncle Mimic, Sky, and Bolo will appear

- Will see a 2013 release date on the Nintendo e-shop

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome to hear it's getting another game. But was it neccessary it dig out the old topic for the last game? Why not just make an entirely new topic?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes. YES. OH MY GOD YES.

I don't know really what else to say. Super excited about this. Risky's Revenge was fantastic fun. Can't wait to get some more Shantae, especially with 3DS' enhanced graphics and audio capabilities. Mighty Switch Force is one of the most gorgeous looking/sounding games I've played on the 3DS.

Also Shantae looks ADORABLE pirated out in that first scan there. <3

OH MAN A NEW SHANTAE GAME YES YES YES

I love Risky's Revenge, was just playing it the other day. I really wish I could have played the first one. This is wonderful news!

NP284_Shantae.jpg

Edited by Colasaurus Rex

They did say they at least WANTED to put the original game up on the Virtual Console right? I'm hoping they'll do that as a promotional thing before/alongside this release.

• Thumbs Up 2

I... erm... have never even heard of Shantae before o.O

This totally looks like something I'd enjoy though, what are the older games like??

This totally looks like something I'd enjoy though, what are the older games like??

Metroid-vania style 2D action platformers with cartoon humor and some light fan service.

• Thumbs Up 1

Final Nintendo Power makes a great announcement. So long NP!

That isn't the final one, though.

December 2012 is the last one, if memory serves me correctly.

You can download the second game off the DSi or 3DS eshop. It's a real blast. The first game is a bit harder to get into because it's ridiculously rare so emulation is literally the only option. I didn't play much but I get the impression it's a lot more heavy on the metroidvania stuff than the second game is (which is a lot more linear and handholding if you're not going for 100%) which is either a good or bad thing depending on your preference.

Now I gotta get on beating the DSi one. I just gave the deed to the town to that one baron guy and now I am lost XD. Can't wait, wayforward games are great

I still have to play through Shantae Risky's Revenge on my Dsi XL still before I get this new one, Way forward you're the best to make another Shantae game I'll love to play on the 3DS!

Oh cool, I wonder if we'll get a playable Risky this time around,. That'd be so awesome.

On another note, the graphics look like a big step up, as they're more Hd this time around. I hope the character sprites look less blocky and pixelated like in the screenshots though...

Holy crap, I was just in a bit of a grumpy mood, and this news just made my night! biggrin.png

I managed to find a rom of the first Shantae years ago, and I loved the crap out of it. God, I need a flippin' 3DS so I can play Risky's Revenge and this game. I need more Shantae... ;_;

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

I loved Risky's Revenge so I'm very much looking forward to this - and I certainly wasn't expecting an announcement about a new Shantae!

Here's hoping they stick the original GBC game up on the eShop soon as well so 3DS players can own the full trilogy for ultimate boob Shantae action!

• 8 months later...

EDIT: Oh almost forgot - interview with Matt Bozon regarding Shantae 1, and with hints of what's next regarding Shantae 3.

sybw.jpg

So did anyone pick up the original Game Boy Color game on eShop yet?

I'm enjoying it a fair bit, though it is HARD - you'll really need a retro game mindset (i.e. be prepared to just explore explore explore until you figure out what direction to go, try every attack on things both suspicious and unsuspicious to get through etc) if you want to play without a guide... but with a guide and the Suspend VC feature it really lowers the difficulty down to "fair" and I'm enjoying it.  It's cool to see how all these characters that Shantae just knows in Risky's Revenge started out.

I mean Shantae already knows them all in this one too, but, yeah, their introductions just slightly feel more "first time we've seen them".

Also geez is this game good looking.  You know how Sonic Adventure 2 looked -amazing- for a Dreamcast game and was totally a worthy system swansong?  Shantae is that for the Game Boy colour.  We've got water flowing in foregrounds that moves as if it is closer to the camera than the play space, we've got scrolling backgrounds that give a sense of space, Shantae's sprite changes colour as she passes through columns of coloured light, and darkens as she goes through shadowy areas...  It's impressive stuff.

Overall it is a lot bigger and complex compared to Risky's Revenge, though the extra buttons and general clarity of things (and lovely character conversation artwork) are missed from playing the sequel first.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

I got the first Shantae when it was released on VC. I haven't played much of it, but I have to agree from what I've played it's rather challenging. Do look forward to playing more of it though.

Edited by Yeow

Yeah, it's got some bite to it. I can see why emulating this game was such a pain now too, the animations and graphics are absolutely amazing for a GBC game.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Well it's good that they have not forgotten about this due to Half Genie Hero.

Edited by Chaos Warp