Awoo.

The Assassin's Creed Topic - Vive les assassins! Vive la France!

Speederino

Why am I getting a Halo Reach vibe from Abstergo industry's? It seriously looks like something out of Reach.lol

Anyway, I really hope Black Flag cools down and downplays the whole modern day sci-fi aspect of the Assassins Creed lore. But I doubt that.

That's a better modern setting than I had anticipated, but I can't help thinking how redundant it all feels.

Honestly, given how awful that whole First Civilization & Apocalyptic Solar Flare plots were, and how preferable the "Abstergo's got a rocket with a nasty mind control thing in it, you gotta stop it" plot would've been without all that shit, I think I just want the series to miss a generation and be entirely rebooted before it reaches Resident Evil levels of convoluted stupidity.

Reboot it, take us back to the first Assassins in whatever era BCE you like (Egypt, Mesopotamia etc), put a new overarching plot in place and roll us forward from there. I don't mind there being mysterious advanced technology involved, but it has to be better implemented than the PoEs and the First Civ; something like surviving relics of a BSG-style interstellar Human exodus 150,000 years ago or something would be neat if done properly. Give us an Egyptian Ezio, a Greco-Roman Haytham Kenway, even a Mongolian Connor; send us to China with Polo, to South America with Pizarro, take us back to Renaissance and 18th century Europe, and release a full sub-series of naval AC games set in the series' various eras, featuring characters who only peripherally feature in the 'main' series, alongside lots of new ones. Oh and deliver full-on modern day games too.

Honestly, that would be preferable to the convoluted mess that this series (as much as I love it) seems right now to be becoming.

• Thumbs Up 5

That's a better modern setting than I had anticipated, but I can't help thinking how redundant it all feels.

Honestly, given how awful that whole First Civilization & Apocalyptic Solar Flare plots were, and how preferable the "Abstergo's got a rocket with a nasty mind control thing in it, you gotta stop it" plot would've been without all that shit, I think I just want the series to miss a generation and be entirely rebooted before it reaches Resident Evil levels of convoluted stupidity.

Reboot it, take us back to the first Assassins in whatever era BCE you like (Egypt, Mesopotamia etc), put a new overarching plot in place and roll us forward from there. I don't mind there being mysterious advanced technology involved, but it has to be better implemented than the PoEs and the First Civ; something like surviving relics of a BSG-style interstellar Human exodus 150,000 years ago or something would be neat if done properly. Give us an Egyptian Ezio, a Greco-Roman Haytham Kenway, even a Mongolian Connor; send us to China with Polo, to South America with Pizarro, take us back to Renaissance and 18th century Europe, and release a full sub-series of naval AC games set in the series' various eras, featuring characters who only peripherally feature in the 'main' series, alongside lots of new ones. Oh and deliver full-on modern day games too.

Honestly, that would be preferable to the convoluted mess that this series (as much as I love it) seems right now to be becoming.

Yeah, if there was one thing about the PoE and 1st Civ elements that I didn't like at all, it was the fact that they tried to use them to explain EVERYTHING. It's one thing when you use it to explain say Moses parting the sea, but another when you try using them to explain how Gandhi was such a good speaker and gained a following, or use them as a way to explain why WW2 was really created. That is just retarded and unbelievable. I mean at this point, they could bring 9/11 into the lore and just use the "there was someone with a piece of Eden" excuse. It just becomes a huge mess or lore that is full of either unimportant,contradicting or confusing things.

It becomes even worse when you begin to notice that they haven't fully studied on the subjects they try to explain.:P

Totally agree.

I was interested in Altair and Ezio's stories... the other stuff set in the present day wasn't really necessary for me. The extra stuff with Juno in ACIII I thought just made the game's lore a complete mess. For the next games, I did wonder if perhaps

Desmond wasn't really dead, and had somehow become stuck in the Animus again, perhaps a bit like Clay/Subject 16...

I hope they can simplify it a bit, because as much as I love sci-fi, and as much as I have loved running around ancient cities (ACIII not so much...) this kind of Chariot-of-the-Gods-esque stuff I find a bit overdone.

Edited by MamboCat

Assassin's Creed 4's open world takes half an hour to sail across

It will take around half an hour to sail across the naval open world of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Ubisoft has told Eurogamer.

Game director Ashraf Ismail refused to say exactly how big the map was in relation to other Assassin's Creed games, however, since a lot of it is open water.

"We don't talk about it in terms of size, that would be a little bit unfair - there is a lot of ocean in the Caribbean. But it is the biggest game we've ever made," Ismail said.

"The story and narrative itself will last 15-20 hours, but we're hoping that people got lost in the Caribbean world, in the toybox we've created.

"It will take - [to sail] across the whole game world - maybe half an hour."

Large swathes of the map will be open ocean, but Ubisoft has stressed that you'll be able to spot multiple activities and side-missions on the horizon wherever you sail.

The game's fast-travel system has also been simplified to help with the larger map. You can now jump to any sync-point you've uncovered anywhere in the game world.

One casualty of Black Flag's size may be the series' expansion onto PlayStation Vita - begun last year with Assassin's Creed 3 spin-off Liberation.

Ubisoft decided not to develop a similar spin-off for Black Flag, despite decent sales of Liberation on the fledgling handheld. Ubisoft Sofia, the team that made Liberation, was instead put to work on the main Assassin's Creed 4.

"Liberation actually did very well - we're very proud of it," Ishmail explained. "Sales were fairly decent. But the focus for us was Assassin's Creed 4, for current-gen consoles and next-gen consoles.

"From a resource standpoint, the team that worked on Liberation is actually working with us on AC4. They're developing a specific part of the game for us. The amount of people working on AC4, Watch Dogs - that's a massive game - the focus within Ubisoft right now is on these two games, and then you have The Crew and The Division as well."

Fancy hunting Sharks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rBTnhfmBYig

Good to see Ubisoft focusing all their AC teams on AC4.

It's nice you can fast-travel to previous way points, because frequently having to sail on the ocean sounds rather boring and cumbersome.

As for hunting sharks? Err...no thanks.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

So basically it's Wind Waker all over again.

Sailing was one of the many things I didn't like about AC3. Heck, it was the main gameplay aspect that made me forget I was even supposed to be playing an AC game. It's really turning me off this, even though it does look better than AC3 in most other ways.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I just received an e-mail from Ubisoft with a link to some AC4 material. I clicked on the link and it's all in Spanish! Lol:

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/es-es/vip-program/index.aspx?destination=desktop

You have to click on the top right of the Google tab to translate it all to English! Then you get:

Hello Assassin!

You are about to enter the new world of Assassin's Creed . When you log in or register in Uplay you can participate in our exclusive VIP program: The Watch.

Access to an essential source of information about Assassin's Creed, exclusive content ... and meet other players who share your passion for our universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgdF-I7EVc&feature=player_embedded

To be part of this unique experience, follow the steps below:

• Please logon to your account or join Uplay Uplay.
  • On the next page, redeem the reservation code you received from your local dealer.
  • Enjoy the new AC experience as a member of The Watch.

Huh......

I really fucking hate uPlay. I can never remember my username or password for it, and the shit it does seems entirely arbitrary anyway.

New video showing off the stealth stuff.

Honestly though this is less about showing off new stealth mechanics and more about saying "Hey look, Assassin's Creed has stealth again!" The only actual new things detailed in this is a new hiding spot (a door), a blowdart (looks just like the poison darts from AC2) and an enhanced eagle vision. 

Regardless, I'm still glad to see that stealth is indeed coming back as a gameplay focus for those of us who want it. But as I watched this video I couldn't help but think that this is what AC3 should have been.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, I kinda lost interest in AC after Brotherhood (you can thank Revelations and 3 for that), but this looks like a real return to form with new and unique twists. I'm actually starting to get excited for this. 

New live action trailer.

If only the game looked this good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uN0p2WSivcU 

They just make me want a proper AC movie (without the first civ guff) even more.

Should've stuck to AC: Ember's animated style.

At GamesCom, Ubisoft released two new gameplay videos.

"The first video has one of the members of the AC IV team explaining what players can expect and then talks about the important aspect of maritime travel. According to him, when you start the game, the whole game world is already available to you. You do not have to take the time to sail around from one island or country to another."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9mmsJrB6l38

"The next video is a game demonstration. It shows how to assess the threats before attacking and raiding a naval fort. In short, attacking and raiding forts will be playing a major role. From what the video shows, naval warfare could be difficult but very fun at the same time. It also demonstrates “free aiming,” a new feature, that allows you to kill most enemies instantly with head shots. When taking over forts, you can use them to your advantage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-0LNmOB7VM&feature=player_embedded

I watched and enjoyed that Naval & Fort Commented Walkthrough, and while it was pretty awesome, I've gotta say that I liked not having so much of a HUD in AC3. It made the whole thing feel more realistic. AC being AC though, no doubt we'll be able to go HUDless at any time. What I'm interested in right now, though, is how bad the loading times for going between naval and ground-based gameplay on the Wii U and PS360 platforms are going to be. Have they been shown or talked about? 

New AC4 gameplay video.

Apparently there are over 50 major locations and 75 uncharted islands to explore. That is a lot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xYjc06VfR6Y

This game certainly looks more interesting than AC3. Oh and if Edward Kenway drinks too much rum "there will be some fun surprises"..............

He either gets drunk or gets laid. Or maybe both.

nE3d0VD.jpg

It's real. Embargo lifts Tuesday

The Vita game Liberation is getting a HD/Console release...

Pirates is either another Vita game or IOS.

Oh for the love of.....................seriously another fucking game, this time called Pirates. I smell a watered down version of AC4 for iOS and/or Android.  If I recall correctly, Ubisoft previously confirmed they were NOT going to make another Vita game, as they were focusing their resources on AC4. 

As for Liberation, wasn't that the pretty poor Vita game released around the time of AC3, where you played as a female assassin? 

I think I will pass. Seriously Ubisoft, give the series a break or you are going to alienate a lot of fans-if you haven't already done so.

My biggest fear for this game is that it will only have 20 main levels with 300 repetitive side quests that pads the game out to the max. 

As for people saying AC: III lacked stealth it didn't if you tried to do the optional objectives which made everything even more tedious most of them were stealth based objectives. I am all for stealth if isn't tedious as hell or lazy designed.

Several levels  of "Follow this guy down the street without getting detected and avoid annoying people" isn't very stimulating or creative level design.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

nE3d0VD.jpg

It's real. Embargo lifts Tuesday

The Vita game Liberation is getting a HD/Console release...

Pirates is either another Vita game or IOS.

Still no Beyond Good & Evil 2.

I'm really disappointed (though i wonder what will be that Valiant Hearts title).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZYSetCHyCo&feature=youtu.be

The Vita exclusive is now coming to the PS3, 360 and PC.

• Thumbs Up 2

I will definitely be picking this up, provided that it's more than a straight port and the Vita wonkiness has been sorted out. I am really hoping for a Wii U release, though, but I'll take it on PS3 or 360.

Given that I have zero interest in a Vita, this news pleases me BIG TIME! I've always been curious to try this game out but as it was, Liberation was pretty much the only Vita game that really had my attention. I'll be getting the PSN version for sure.