Awoo.

The Assassin's Creed Topic - Vive les assassins! Vive la France!

Speederino

Altair, Ezio, Haytham, Connor and Desmond, and presumably all or most of their intervening descendants, have possessed Eagle Vision - a rather handy passive supernatural ability.

I have no problem with more abilities being added, so long as they do not seem implausible within the game world. All that being said, however, the trailer looks like a really lame attempt by Ubisoft to ape Dishonored, although to be fair this DLC seems to be more a What If? scenario than a canon piece of the story, so hopefully if Connor gets more game time after all this DLC these extra abilities will be absent. Frankly, I'd rather they simply make the King Washington thing part of the canon story, remove or alter the extra whacky powers and concentrate on the next retail installment of the series.

I'd love Connor's story to continue Brotherhood- and Revelations-style, first to London and Paris, then perhaps to China or India, before returning home in the early 1800s, eventually recruiting Tecumseh into the Assassin order, and having some part to play in the Hamilton-Burr duel.

I have no problem with more abilities being added, so long as they do not seem implausible within the game world. All that being said, however, the trailer looks like a really lame attempt by Ubisoft to ape Dishonored, although to be fair this DLC seems to be more a What If? scenario than a canon piece of the story, so hopefully if Connor gets more game time after all this DLC these extra abilities will be absent. Frankly, I'd rather they simply make the King Washington thing part of the canon story, remove or alter the extra whacky powers and concentrate on the next retail installment of the series.

Oh yeah, I don't think anyone ever brought this up in this thread, but in this alternate reality Connor never became an Assassin. Why?

Fuck if I know. Either way, we certainly don't need to worry about these superpowers carrying into future games.

• Thumbs Up 1

... That's the stupidest thing I ever heard, but at least we'll get to take a look down the road less traveled: the road Juno warned Connor against, although I fear we won't really want to continue looking down it after Part #1.

Also, it's more than a tad stupid that a game series set in an alternative reality should have a DLC trilogy set in an alternative alternative reality. Xzibit "Yo dawg..." etc. I assume it'll all take place as a vision Connor has while holding a PoE? Then there'll probably be a bleeding effect of some sort, and most or all of the powers from the alternate reality will be bestowed upon him, and then we won't be able to so easily dismiss the whole affair if it turns out to be arse. Ubisoft's probably waiting to see how we take to the new powers before making the new abilities canon in a future DLC episode like that though.

We officially don't have to worry about this leaking into other games. It looks like they're done with Connor (and this time period) already. I don't really have much to say to this. I still wouldn't object to seeing the French Revolution or Victorian London, but if they want to move on, whatevs. But I enjoyed this setting while it lasted.

Edit: And a new development team, too? Have they been doing this the entire time? I know AC3 was in development for a few years, but I still got the impression that the original team was still heavily involved while working on Brotherhood and Revelations.

Edited by Speederino

Connor's not so important to me as Ezio was; he's rather wooden, even when speaking in his native tongue, though his Colonial Assassin outfit is pretty damn kickass. I do like him though, and I really do appreciate the developers telling his story. He deserves at least one more outing. 

I'm much more frustrated that they don't seem to want to give us early industrial London and revolutionary Paris to play around in. I'd be fine with getting a new character if they gave us those two cities in that time period. I would also be fine with 16th-17th century London, back before the Great Fire, when London Bridge was still there. My lovely wife would like Edinburgh (maybe in the early 19th century) to be featured. To be fair, it'd make a lovely setting, perhaps to be to London and Paris what Forli was to Florence and Venice in AC2.

I don't know if this announcement necessarily precludes the possibility of Connor getting another outing this year though. Who knows, maybe there'll be something for Christmas?

The worst part about the whole damn series is the sci-fi shit. It's just so boring. I hope that AC4 dispenses with it, or at least makes it more interesting than 'onoes soler flar omg'.

Edit: Via Reddit and GAF...

I just posted this in r/gaming but was told of this subreddit. Anyway, I was on a flight where the lady in the row in front of me was working on a powerpoint presentation on marketing strategies of several gaming titles. And one that stood out the most was AC4: Black Flags, aimed for release 2013 Holiday season according to her slide. It already had a cool looking logo for it.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photo, just wanted to share it with all the AC fans, and give those who are trying to figure out the next story line a little hint.

EDIT: thanks everyone for the nice karma and comments! It feels good to be able to contribute a bit to one of my favourite game ( I still need to play AC3 though..)

http://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/181u16/assassins_creed_iv_black_flags/

Yup. Dunno if its ac 4 but i heard the titles black flag and golden age. New lead character is rumored to be a father of a playable character and will have co op alongside a famous scottish pirate.

Haytham's dad and Edward Teach (Blackbeard)?

Aye, as am I, but it would be interesting to, say, play as Desmond's father, or Giovanni Auditore, or Altair's daddykins. Who knows what they got up to in their youths!

Heh, I'm happy with this news. Couldn't really be less interested in Conor's or his time period really, so moving on from both would only help to keep me engaged with the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting. If it has pirates, they must know we really liked the sailing mini game smile.png As for father, maybe Altair's father? He was a good assassin as well and I'd always be happy to see Al Mualim again.

Interesting. If it has pirates, they must know we really liked the sailing mini game smile.png

Ooooh, maybe they should make Assassin's of the Carribean? I'm serious, we can navigate to different islands on our own ship but still get the typical Assassin's Creed gameplay when on land. I'd pre-order it right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Heh, I'm happy with this news. Couldn't really be less interested in Conor's or his time period really, so moving on from both would only help to keep me engaged with the series.

It's a lot more interesting than anything the 19th century could offer.

It's a lot more interesting than anything the 19th century could offer.

It's a lot less interesting that the periods explored in the previous games.

I'm also not a history buff, so I don't really know an awful lot about any time period in history going further back than the 20th century. I can shamefully admit that I didn't really know anything of the crusades besides the fact that they happened until I played the first AC, and at that stage wasn't at all sure how much of it was based on fact. But nah, I'm not interested in exploring time periods reletively modern as Conor's. It's most likely what we'll get, but oh well. 

I can shamefully admit that I didn't really know anything of the crusades besides the fact that they happened until I played the first AC,

I don't even think I knew about the Crusades at all before AC1. I think even the title of the third Indiana Jones movie was lost on me.

The ingredients to a Assassin's Creed Game:

85% Side Missions.

15% Main Missions.

I wouldn't mind if the Side Missions were actually worth doing and were entertaining. Apart from Treasure and Naval Missions they extremely tedious and you get very little out of it for doing it. 

Far Cry 3 suffers from the same problem.

Edited by BW199148

It's to me a bit of a shame that Connor might be already scrapped. I mean his time period and character had potential to be expanded if you ask me. So much history and so many locations that could have been explored at this time period. I hope he makes some appearance later on in the games.

Anyway this new game does sound interesting nonetheless. I just really hope they fix up their modern sections so there not as boring. Expanding on the modern cast maybe? We barely know anything about them aside from "we're assassins!" And what about this Eve chick we were told about in Revelations?(or was it brotherhood? I don't know) they have so much explaining to do.:P

Edited by Vanitas

I'll be very dissapointed if the rumor is true given that I'm one of the few poeple who actually likes Connor as well as the time period the game is set int. Don't see why Connor couldn't have at least one more game Ezio had three.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's a lot less interesting that the periods explored in the previous games.

I'm also not a history buff, so I don't really know an awful lot about any time period in history going further back than the 20th century. I can shamefully admit that I didn't really know anything of the crusades besides the fact that they happened until I played the first AC, and at that stage wasn't at all sure how much of it was based on fact. But nah, I'm not interested in exploring time periods reletively modern as Conor's. It's most likely what we'll get, but oh well. 

I can understand your dislike of more modern settings for the games than the Renaissance; half the fun is in exploring reasonable facsimiles of places and times which normally we only get to read about, or if we're very lucky, glimpse briefly in films or on television. I too might feel a bit put out myself if the next game is set much more recently still (location and era are important to get right), but at the same time, mid-late 18th century America (and Europe too) is exactly the sort of location which this game series is perfectly suited to blowing wide open for us.

Today there is almost nothing left of the Boston or New York of this time, nor indeed the New England frontier (which I must admit feels a little... squashed; Valley Forge and Braddock's expedition were nowhere near New England). Even during the years in which the game is set, these places (and in certain instances, the ways of life of the people) were either fast disappearing or not long for this world. I find it absolutely fascinating just to stroll about old Boston; watching the Redcoats marching past, visiting the fortifications with their cannons and soldiery, and the docks with the countless towering masts of sailing ships of all shapes and sizes, all while listening to the passersby's various accents, catching word of some recent event I've read much about in my history books from a herald, and watching the hustle and bustle of colonial city life.

It's wonderful.

I hope that whatever game comes next features improves naval combat. Dat shit be amazing good fun.

Edit: On the subject of other potential settings, aside from my aforementioned 18th century requests.

The glory years of ancient Rome, which could also allow players to compare and contrast the larger, grander ancient city with the smaller medieval one from ACB).

Mid-17th century England , before, during and after the English Civil War, maybe culminating in the Great Fire of London. There's plenty of scope for an AC game set during this era.

Late 1800s, early 1900s New York/USA.

WW1 -  partly set along the trenches in France, with Germany and/or Austria-Hungary figuring too.

A lot of people seem to want a game set in old Imperial China, but I find that whole region's history really boring, so I'd like it if they could avoid that whole area if possible.

• Thumbs Up 6

I would like the series to be set in the Wild West (Shit storm incoming.). I'm not saying that I want to run around with a revolver, no not at all! However, the stealth assassinations could work really well considering the fact that the cowboys would have guns. Also, if it was set in a later time in the Wild West, then you help the government too. Also, those deserts would look stunning on next-generation systems!

Edited by - Crash -

I would like the series to be set in the Wild West (Shit storm incoming.). I'm not saying that I want to run around with a revolver, no not at all! However, the stealth assassinations could work really well considering the fact that the cowboys would have guns. Also, if it was set in a later time in the Wild West, then you help the government too. Also, those deserts would look stunning on next-generation systems!

Since I also love that setting, I'd be okay with it. Though I can see a few potential problems arising, too. For one, there wouldn't be any tightly-packed cities to run around in. Even with some of the larger towns or state capitols, most of the buildings would be too far apart. And then of course they would have to completely revamp the combat, most likely into a third person shooter.

But ultimately it wouldn't matter what I think, because Assassin's Creed + Red Dead Redemption = I am never turning the Playstation off again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to rattle off another idea: An AC game set in South and Central America. There are plenty of Native and/or Spanish cities which would be ideally suited to the AC series' gameplay, the rainforest environment would provide an excellent Frontier-esque playground, and Spanish activities on the high seas could make for quite the naval combat experience. Add to this a large number of colourful characters, interesting caste-based colonial societies, and enormous scope for Templar conspiracies and you've got a pretty good game already.

The protagonist could be a Mulatto descendant of an Assassin whom Ezio dispatched to the New World to keep an eye on Templar activities.

Oh and while Red Dead does the Wild West just fine, there could be scope for an AC game set during the antebellum era, along the creeping frontiers of the US, but I think I'd rather the series ventures down the other avenues I've suggested.

• Thumbs Up 1

I may be biased...  but I wondered what Prague would be like in an AC game. I mean, I pretty much use Gentle Push on a daily basis in the Metro! :P

On a more serious note; there's the castle which is absolutely massive; think the Castello in Brotherhood but bigger! :D There's all the fancy red roofed buildings in Old Town. Plus there's all kinds of neat stuff in Prague's history.

Having said that, Victorian London would be fantastic. Imagine the Dickensian atmosphere it could have.

So I found tis picture.

assassins-creed-4-2014-new-hero.jpeg

It's depicting from what I read from the artist and others the Chinese Dynasty era or Something like that. Honestly, this is what I really want to see from these games should Ubisoft decide on this time period. It's just so good looking!

And just for the laughs since we all know this would never happen

Urtna.jpg

lolno. Cool looking, but never gonna happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

YYKr4Yy.png?1

Keep both of those Japanese robo-things away from me. Horrible designs. The whole point of the series is to explore historically important places of interest at key points in history, meeting colourful (sometimes famous) characters along the way, killing half of them along the way. Chinese history kinda bores me to tears so exploring its history would probably leave me cold too, similarly to how many were left cold by Connor, hence my penchant for more western settings.

• Thumbs Up 1