Awoo.

The Assassin's Creed Topic - Vive les assassins! Vive la France!

Speederino

Ehh, different stroke I guess. Chinese history I always found to be interesting along with western history. The assassinations,the drama, the atmosphere, the cities and the culture, the designs,the proverbs and legends and of course the way they fight in combat. It all to me personally feels like it could fit in the universe. And the assassin just looks cool. Who knows? They might just make the history interesting, alive and action packed if they did it. You might like it.

BTW the first robot thing has the Assassins symbol. can you find it?tongue.png

Edited by Vanitas

I do agree with the history part. Maybe it's because I live in the U.S is the reason why I loved AC3, however I still think that it could be made interesting; I mean I didn't know or care about European history at all prior to AC2.

I must say that, despite it being really hard for me to get on-board the idea, especially after having my very favorite time period and location combo torn away from me far too soon, I wouldn't be totally against a Chinese-based AC game. However, I think that it could be straying too close to the whole cliche "Ninja" area for comfort. I don't want to play an AC version of Dynasty Warriors or whatever, I just won't buy that. All that said though, AC's developers have thus far managed quite well to defy all expectations in regards to stereotypes, so hopefully the closest such a game would come to the Ninja stereotype would be, I dunno... a Chinese Thieves' Guild perhaps, a La Volpe-esque character, maybe even a set of lightweight, dark-colored Master Assassin armor wrapped in black robes. Something of those descriptions.

Big niggle with AC3: I'm trying to play the Naval missions in order (each announces the year it took place at the start), but it's a bit bloody hard to do so when their years aren't stated in their titles or descriptions. Nnnngh. It's 1775 and I'm just now going on a mission that took place back in '74, or '73? The perfectionist within me is screaming bloody murder! Still though, I'm glad that not every mission has as many constraints as the Henderson one. That took quite a while.

I must say that, despite it being really hard for me to get on-board the idea, especially after having my very favorite time period and location combo torn away from me far too soon, I wouldn't be totally against a Chinese-based AC game. However, I think that it could be straying too close to the whole cliche "Ninja" area for comfort. I don't want to play an AC version of Dynasty Warriors or whatever, I just won't buy that. All that said though, AC's developers have thus far managed quite well to defy all expectations in regards to stereotypes, so hopefully the closest such a game would come to the Ninja stereotype would be, I dunno... a Chinese Thieves' Guild perhaps, a La Volpe-esque character, maybe even a set of lightweight, dark-colored Master Assassin armor wrapped in black robes. Something of those descriptions.

Big niggle with AC3: I'm trying to play the Naval missions in order (each announces the year it took place at the start), but it's a bit bloody hard to do so when their years aren't stated in their titles or descriptions. Nnnngh. It's 1775 and I'm just now going on a mission that took place back in '74, or '73? The perfectionist within me is screaming bloody murder! Still though, I'm glad that not every mission has as many constraints as the Henderson one. That took quite a while.

I'm not against the idea of a Chinese AC game partly because Asian history is so alien and unknown to me I'd like to have an incentive to learn about it. Plus maybe it's dratically different setting could provide an opportunity for the kind of change a lot of AC fans seem to want (I don't share that opinion though since AC3 was the first game in the series I played and AC2 and Brotherhood kind of bored me with their setting). So long as it's not the next game I'm fine with the idea.

Slightly off topic, but I din't know you liked American history so much Pat. biggrin.png

My interest lies primarily in Colonial North American history, mainly in the 18th century, but also sort of in the 17th too. I don't really know why, but that whole period in that part of the world just fascinates the crap out of me, so to see part of it incorporated into my favorite series of this generation is absolutely wonderful to say the least. I can't say that I want a bajillion more games set there though, not given the time period and the huge missed opportunity of the French & Indian War, which could've easily pushed the War of Independence into its own game, but it would be great to see some resolution to Connor's story. If it isn't included in the AC3 novelization (which evidently deals with Haytham's backstory), a spin-off book focusing on a young Achilles would be nice to see as well. Does the AC3 book deal with the French & Indian War, by any chance?

One more small niggling complaint: The game's focus on manual exploration to reveal its maps is all well and good, but it makes the Viewpoint system seem frustrating in its inadequacy, and it isn't very fun spending hours riding/running about trying to fill in the last little blots of map emptiness, particularly given the unhelpfully dark background color of the map screen itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if the roman empire era coul also work for a time period. I mean it seemed like a important time period that dealt with those before and the assassins and Templars. Lots of events that could be explored, lots of locations, and more.

I would of liked Victorian London. There was a lot Conspiracy stuff going around at the time with the Empires and all that. I also would to find the Assassin's Creed take on who Jack The Ripper was. Revolutionary France or the Unification Of the German Empire also interest me.

I doubt any time before the Crusades would be portrayed as the Crusades seem to be epicentre of the whole thing between Assassin's and Templars before that do they even exist? huh.png

I wonder if the roman empire era coul also work for a time period. I mean it seemed like a important time period that dealt with those before and the assassins and Templars. Lots of events that could be explored, lots of locations, and more.

Why is it I have a feeling the series will only move forward in time, to catch up with the present day and so reveal what happened to the Assassin Order? For example, they are shown as an enormous castle-dwelling society with whole families of Assassins in AC1, by Ezio's time he is changing the order into something more secretive but widespread and by AC3 there are hardly any Assassins left... So does this mean there is no way the games would go back in time?

Also I was wondering if in fact what we are seeing in the series is someone playing Desmond play the Animus... in a kind of crazy inception style synchronisation...

The games have been moving forward in time with each outing so far, partly because the Assassin Order in its current form has been advancing in its technologies and techniques, and it'd feel a bit strange going back mid-series and having half of the moves and gear you just got proficient with permanently stripped away... but there's nothing to suggest that a whole new story arc or stand-alone title couldn't go further back in time. Ancient Rome or any Roman city of real significance would indeed make a good setting.

I would of liked Victorian London. There was a lot Conspiracy stuff going around at the time with the Empires and all that. I also would to find the Assassin's Creed take on who Jack The Ripper was. Revolutionary France or the Unification Of the German Empire also interest me.

I doubt any time before the Crusades would be portrayed as the Crusades seem to be epicentre of the whole thing between Assassin's and Templars before that do they even exist? huh.png

They did exist before then, in fact both sides have existed for tens of thousands of years - William Miles said as much. 

The games have been moving forward in time with each outing so far, partly because the Assassin Order in its current form has been advancing in its technologies and techniques, and it'd feel a bit strange going back mid-series and having half of the moves and gear you just got proficient with permanently stripped away... but there's nothing to suggest that a whole new story arc or stand-alone title couldn't go further back in time. Ancient Rome or any Roman city of real significance would indeed make a good setting.

They did exist before then, in fact both sides have existed for tens of thousands of years - William Miles said as much. 

So I wonder what they were called before those orders existed?smile.png

Even then I doubt they make a game set before the Crusades as you said you wouldn't have half of the gadgets and tools as well as the lack of the hidden blade mechanism. You could still have a hidden blade. Hidden under the sleeves of your robes I guess but would the setting be interesting other than fighting Romans and poisoning their wine?  

Just because you wouldn't have hidden guns, crossbows, bombs et al, there's no reason why the Assassin orders of previous eras couldn't have had their own unique weapons and techniques, and the Hidden Blade was first known to be used by the Persian Assassin Darius in the 5th century BC, so that's quite a lot of history where you can at least have your one iconic weapon. In addition, a good part of the combat in AC games is sword-based, and that's not something you'd lose by going back 2,500 years.

I'd like to see the story of Iltani. Ancient Babylonia, Alexander the Great's conquest etc. It seems more interesting than most of the other Assassins honored in Monteriggioni's Sanctuary.

Just because you wouldn't have hidden guns, crossbows, bombs et al, there's no reason why the Assassin orders of previous eras couldn't have had their own unique weapons and techniques, and the Hidden Blade was first known to be used by the Persian Assassin Darius in the 5th century BC, so that's quite a lot of history where you can at least have your one iconic weapon. In addition, a good part of the combat in AC games is sword-based, and that's not something you'd lose by going back 2,500 years.

I'd like to see the story of Iltani. Ancient Babylonia, Alexander the Great's conquest etc. It seems more interesting than most of the other Assassins honored in Monteriggioni's Sanctuary. A game centered around Brutus in ancient Rome could also be pretty good.

I did say you could have a hidden blade just not the retractable one.dry.png

Am I completely alone at sucking really hard at Nine Mens' Morris and its variants? It's scary how good the opponents are.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't understand the tavern games! biggrin.png

I'm also a little overwhelmed at just how much stuff there is to do! I'm keeping up pretty well with the Homestead missions and the Liberation tasks, but the Assassin's Guild I have only just discovered!! Haha! There was me thinking "thank fuck for that, I don't have to send people on missions!" biggrin.png Easily the part of Ezio's games I liked the least.

Edited by MamboCat

The games are easy enough to understand (Fanorona is my favorite), it's actually winning at them that's the hard part.

I loved recruiting Assassins and sending them on missions as Ezio, but in this game... well, it seems quite a good deal harder. I like how they can get injured in battle and don't simply die like in past games.

The games are easy enough to understand (Fanorona is my favorite), it's actually winning at them that's the hard part.

Hmm. Fair dos. :P I guess I'm not very good at comprehending what's going on: I get that I can move certain pieces certain places, but as for planning ahead... *shrugs*

And I must say I really liked Ezio's Assassin Guild missions where you take a recruit with you and teach them something. It was just a pain going through all the text missions with buttons and stuff. I just didn't find that enjoyable. But in AC3 I too was pleasantly surprised when one of my recruits got injured, I went over to "Close Eyes" and he just said "I'll be fine, Connor!" and rolled over grunting! :D

Hmm. Fair dos. tongue.png I guess I'm not very good at comprehending what's going on: I get that I can move certain pieces certain places, but as for planning ahead... *shrugs*

Planning ahead in Fanorona is actually relatively easy once the game gets going - the only pieces which can be moved care those which can take adjacent (or adjacent +1) enemy pieces by moving toward or away from them. In that, you can predict which pieces your opponent can go for. At first, you don't know what your opponent will take, but once a few pieces have been removed by both players, options dwindle, and then at the end it's like a game of Who Can Outsmart The Other Guy. The final few turns are often the trickiest, I find, and it's usually where my games fall apart.

Nine Mens' Morris is a lot harder, as the opponent is sure to try to block you before you can get a Mill in position, while setting up Mills of his own, and if he can't stop you making a Mill he'll definitely make sure you can't spam them. Frustrating is not the word, but it is rather addictive.

Checkers I'm equally inept at, but it's still fun.

Nine Mens' Morris is a lot harder, as the opponent is sure to try to block you before you can get a Mill in position, while setting up Mills of his own, and if he can't stop you making a Mill he'll definitely make sure you can't spam them. Frustrating is not the word, but it is rather addictive.

The first thing I always do is take the corners. For example, if you take the upper left and lower right corners straight away, and then either of the remaining corners, you can easily get a morris within the first four moves (always go first, btw). Things tend to get trickier after that. Ideally you want to set it up so you can move a single piece between two morris's, but that's much easier said then done. Usually my first morris gets completely blocked off so I have to spend several minutes trying to create an ideal position for the second one.

It's not a sureproof strategy, but it does at least start you off with an advantage. Oh, and if you're playing against an expert-level NPC, he might catch on to what you're doing. I need to test that a little more.

As for Fanorona, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing with that.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I know the corner trick, which by the way I've found doesn't work all that well in the Six and Twelve variants. It helps me win sometimes... other times, not so much.

Yeah, I know the corner trick, which by the way I've found doesn't work all that well in the Six and Twelve variants. It helps me win sometimes... other times, not so much.

I avoid Twelve Man's Morris like the plague.

Here's some interesting deleted dialogue from AC3. We already know that Connor's mother and Achilles met at some point, this elaborates on it a little.

Oh my fucking GOD I just had the funniest glitch in AC3. You know that pig herding mission you do for Prudence? Well, right towards the end of it a wolf somehow got a little too close to the pen, and he started attacking me right as I herded the final pig, starting a cutscene. The result? OH GOD I WISH I COULD HAVE CAPTURED THIS MOMENT. But I guess we'll just have to use imagination. The cutscene starts at 2:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIdITmJX7vk

As soon as Connor finished saying "It was my pleasure" BAM, wolf attack out of nowhere. So the rest of the cutscene they're talking while Connor is being savaged by the wolf.

I'm just so sad I can't share this beautiful moment.  sad.png 

• Thumbs Up 4

I love that. Brilliant. That mission was heaps of fun, too, although I kept thinking that Connor should have been be furious (or at least conflicted  that these people were keeping pigs, given how absolutely destructive these imported animals were to the traditional Three Sisters agricultural system utilized by numerous eastern Indian societies, including his own people. Oh well, maybe he just didn't know.

I tried to take Fort St. Mathieu several times last night, to no avail. Fucking place is swarming with Redcoats, and their leader is a Hessian brute. I figured out a good way to get in undetected, the only one for Connor it turns out, but even so it's going to be a challenge. I'll try again today, see how it goes.