Awoo.

The Assassin's Creed Topic - Vive les assassins! Vive la France!

Speederino

For a second I was like, "how the heck would they do Summer of Love? That seems so uninteresting and way too recent to look at." Then I realized it was just a reference to the Simpsons episode that used Assassins Creed in a parody thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

For a second I was like, "how the heck would they do Summer of Love? That seems so uninteresting and way too recent to look at." Then I realized it was just a reference to the Simpsons episode that used Assassins Creed in a parody thing.

Oh, I was unaware of that. I thought it seemed a bit strange.

At least Victorian era London would have a lot of good spots for freerunning unlike Colonial America. 

Not to mention bigger and taller buildings! Seriously what was the tallest structure in AC3? I wanted to climb epic cathedrals and shit and I'm greeted by small churches and houses. Blahhh.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted in this thread. I should probably update the OP but I highly doubt anyone cares so...eh.

Anywho, I beat AC4 the other day. Really great and overall felt like a return to form, though I don't know if I'd rank it as highly as other people seem to be, mainly because this in many ways just felt like AC3 again only with the focus shifted to the naval combat. The major difference for me (and why I still call it a return to form) is that AC4 remembers to bring the stealth. I am very happy with this. I really loved AC3's revamped combat system but the story missions seemed to mainly center on that with the occasional (surprisingly linear) stealth mission pushed in there as a side note. Assassin's Creed is and should be a stealth series first and foremost so I'm glad AC4 takes the exact opposite approach. So in that sense I feel like this is what AC3 should have been >_>

And now that I'm done with this game I've started playing the original AC again with the intent of playing through the whole series...again. This is starting to look like a yearly tradition of mine, lol. It's hard to believe that AC1 will be 7 years old by the end of 2014, but as I play it I'm definitely noticing that it's showing its age. It looks and feels like an early last-gen game. But, well, it is.

I've just played through AC2 and ACB over the past few days. Previously, I'd not been able to decide which of the two I prefer. This time, I'm playing ACB and thinking "wtf is this?!". Compared to the previous games, this is where the series started to lose the plot. Although it wasn't majorly focused on combat (though there was more of it than before), it was very focused on killing your enemies without getting into combat. More often than not stealth was slow and not really necessary. The already large weapon wheel of AC2 got a buff with the overpowered poison darts, crossbow and even bullets for the pistol as they were more commonly found on guards. Shoot your enemy down from a distance, continue uninterrupted. Let's not even get started on the assassin recruits. Challenge? What challenge?

All of that and Rome was fairly boring to explore. The centro district and Vatican district were fine if not indistinct, while the other half of the map was almost entirely empty. Just massive open fields with some ruins scattered about. I liked the idea of the Borgia towers and increased guard patrols - it was reminiscent of the first game. The problem is that they were all one-offs. Out of curiosity I decided to see of I could comets them all right at the start of the game. Sans about three or four that were inaccessible without progressing. I was able to clear them all without upgrades. It's still a good game, but kind of falls short of its predecessor. Really it kind of planted the roots for all that's wrong about ACR and AC3. Except the naval combat. Never would have predicted that that monstrosity would hit the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least Victorian era London would have a lot of good spots for freerunning unlike Colonial America. 

And if you wanted other cities with a different feel to run around in, at least you have Paris, Edinburgh and really any of the other European capitals to choose from.

I am glad they did colonial America though, that setting is fascinating to me. I just wish they'd ship Connor off to the Old World and give him the chance to redeem himself to fans, instead of time hopping like this.

According to IGN, Assassin's Creed 4: Freedom Cry DLC is releasing as a standalone title.

Ubisoft has announced Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag's Freedom Cry DLC will be released as a standalone title. Freedom Cry will be available via download on PS4 and PS3 from February 18 in North America and February 19 in Europe, with a PC version on the way on February 25. The fact it's standalone means you won't need to buy Black Flag in order to play it, and both versions will cost $14.99.

I might consider purchasing AC4 when I get a PS4.

• Thumbs Up 1

According to IGN, Assassin's Creed 4: Freedom Cry DLC is releasing as a standalone title.

Ubisoft has announced Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag's Freedom Cry DLC will be released as a standalone title. Freedom Cry will be available via download on PS4 and PS3 from February 18 in North America and February 19 in Europe, with a PC version on the way on February 25. The fact it's standalone means you won't need to buy Black Flag in order to play it, and both versions will cost $14.99.

I might consider purchasing AC4 when I get a PS4.

So the M$ gamers some how get screwed out of this? That blows. I've heard so many good things about that DLC.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the necropost, but I have a stupid question.

I got the PS3 version of AC4 Black Flag because it came with an Aveline mission. I've used the code in the Store, downloaded the files... but I can't see how to access it in the game. I can see the advert for Freedom Cry, the Ezio/Altair Jackdaw downloads and all the other DLC, but I don't see where to start the Aveline mission. Sooo, where's me stuff? Is it just integrated into the main game somewhere? In which case, I've only just found Ah Tabai and his buddies, so yeah... biggrin.png

Edit: Found it! XD

Edited by MamboCat

• 3 weeks later...

Dangit. You beat me to it. But I think I will like this setting a lot more than the previous titles. The American Revo and Caribbean were nice, but something about France and the AC series really works. Only thing now is a deep story like AC2 and better fighting mechanics. Come on Ubi, don't let us down this year. The potential here is incredible. 

Looks like my year(s) of harping on about Revolutionary Paris are paying off. Now, onwards, to Industrial Revolutionary England/London! Well, after a quick stop or two in a completely different setting, like East Asia (China, Japan, Korea etc), South America (Rio, Cuzco, Lima, Buenos Aires, etc), India, ancient Egypt/Rome/Greece/Mesopotamia/Anatolia etc, all those good places.

I would really appreciate a break from the 18th century after AC5 comes out, and classical antiquity would be a fine place to head on back to. It could feature some perhaps more limited naval combat/exploration, lots more lovely land play, and an emphasis on the kind of free roamy assassinations the first (and I guess the second) game was known for.

I'm not exactly excited for this setting. I know it's quite a few hundred years after the Ezio storyline but I just expected a completely different environment aka not set in Europe again. Are those screenshots an early build? They look a bit plain and dull to me. The fact that there is another separate game coming for last-gen consoles is definitely another level of overkill. But if the games are good, it shouldn't matter.

I wonder when they'll make the official announcement with some official screenshots.

Still waiting for that AC games set in the feudal Japan era...

• Thumbs Up 2

I always liked the idea of a Revolutionary Paris setting (if that's what this is going to be), but I'm really curious how they are going to continue the modern story. Obviously they're not done with it yet, but is this yet another game simulation or is it a real subject with an ancestor? I just wish they could wrap up that whole thing and focus on the historical aspect. I never liked the modern setting with all the bullshit conspiracy theories. =/

Still waiting for that AC games set in the feudal Japan era...

Same. -__-

• Thumbs Up 2

Surprise surprise, the next AC game will be indeed set during the French revolution time period, with the name of Assassin's Creed: Unity.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh great looks like we're gonna have another Final Destination or Alien on our hands with the numbering. 1, 2, 3, 4, Unity. >_> *watches trailer*

Game looks beautiful visually, which is expected from Ubisoft. The Assassin has cool robes too. XP

I looooooooooooove Paris, so I'm kinda sadface that this is only for current gen. Unless of course the Comet game is the same but with not-as-shiny graphics. *shrug* Rumours are it will be a different game entirely, though.

Ah well, I could wait and see what the PC specs would be and check it against the ole Lappy here...

it's nice to see the trailer and screenshots, but there's still not much info to go on besides it will be in Paris (eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :3). Anyways; Francophile nitpick, I'm pretty sure the guillotines were not set up outside Notre Dame. It is weird for me to see it surrounded by buildings too, when in modern times it's on an island. Paris has been bulldozed and redesigned a few times so in a way it makes sense to have tall buildings around it.

Lastly, I have found ACIII and to a lesser extent Black Flag much less enjoyable than ACII-Revelations, because I love the cityscape atmosphere. Setting at least some of it in Paris is a welcome return to my preferred environment. :B

Assassin's Creed 5 in France then, eh? Interesting. Personally I'd prefer a Victorian London setting with the Industrial Revolution going on an' all that, but Paris lends itself well enough to the series too.

But then again, my opinion hardly matters. I've only just got into the series with Black Flag, and I only own a Wii U so it's pretty much a guarantee that I'll never be able to play another game in the series excluding Assassin's Creed 3 and I am in no way doing that until Nintendo's next generation at the earliest.

So... umm... yay? Enjoy Unity when it comes out, guys :P

I'm still not enthralled by such modern settings for the series, but Paris is an infinite improvement over the new world of III and IV. I'll keep my eye on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Assassin's Creed 5 in France then, eh? Interesting. Personally I'd prefer a Victorian London setting with the Industrial Revolution going on an' all that, but Paris lends itself well enough to the series too.

But then again, my opinion hardly matters. I've only just got into the series with Black Flag, and I only own a Wii U so it's pretty much a guarantee that I'll never be able to play another game in the series excluding Assassin's Creed 3 and I am in no way doing that until Nintendo's next generation at the earliest.

So... umm... yay? Enjoy Unity when it comes out, guys tongue.png

Don't forget the DS games. 

Not sure if it was already posted, but early this month this was posted on GAF

So i was on a flight earlier today and playing liberation on my vita when the guy sitting next to me asked me what i thought about the game. I said it was pretty good to which he said that i will probably love the next one too. I told him that i already played black flag to which he smiled at me and said the one after that. Turns out that the guy was someone close to the series (dev/pr) and although he didn't disclose what exactly his position was, he did give me a fair bit of info on the upcoming title. My day was literally made when towards the end of our conversation he showed me a short clip about the game on his ipad. Mind you the guy was a not a native english speaker so there might be some errors in what he meant and i what i am posting here.

set in paris and england (london?)

main characters name is arno/harno something. will be heading the french divison of assassins.

looks to be set after the ezio period, character had handgun.

looks like victorian era judging by the way npc dressed, architecture, horse carriages parked on the streets.

Villa management is back. MC has his own villa (guy says its ezio's villa from AC:B). dunno if it makes any sense geographically or it might be a mistranslation.

codename is AC:unity. Not final title, might be battle/fight something (cant remember). The AC logo is cut in the middle like the beyond/quantum break logo.

MC has a blue suit with a tinge of red in the clip(might change). looked similar to the ones worn by the Knights in order 1886.

from the clip it looks like a cross gen title. Although the guy tells me its next gen only title.

Visually looked quiet decent but it was ver early footage. Had fantastic draw distance and crowd density was much higher than the older games despite them appearing/disappearing from thin air.

Thats all for now. I'll post if i remember anything more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103289495&postcount=1

He got a lot right so he seems to be telling the truth. But of course this isn't confirmed to be true.

Villa management returning would be great. I loved watching Monteriggioni and my villa looking better and better as the game went on.

Graphics are also quite nice. I saw some people on GAF saying it was way too good to be true and some even saying it's CGI, but I don't agree. It's definitely not CGI and I don't really think it looks too good for a next-gen (minus Wii U) exclusive.

Going back to Europe and an environment more similar to the pre-3 games has me excited as I thought they were more interesting than 3's.

I hope the main character is as good as Ezio (Or at least Altair is Revelations). I thought he was a great character, but Connor was awful. Just whiny and annoying. I mean, I get he's mad at what's being done to his people and land, but he was just annoying. Haven't played 4 so I can't comment on that guy.

I hope they do change the name. It sounds more like a browser game xP

So it's pretty much confirmed that the name of the assassin is Arno. That's...not a French name, it's German. Odd choice. *shrug*

And I agree Marcello. I think the best character in these games has always been Ezio! He had so much personality and charisma...not to mention we literally followed his whole life, from birth to death. Altair is alright, a bit bland but alright though I never liked his voice in AC1 and I'm glad they changed it in Revelations. As for Connor, I think most of you know what I think of him but I'll say it again; annoying, immature and really dumb. George Washington burns down your village? Nah, I'd rather kill the guy I've always despised and yet didn't do a damn thing. Haytham was the only character I liked in that game.

I haven't played AC4 so I can't comment on Edward.

Part of why everyone loves Ezio is that he had three big games plus a couple of little movies set before/after them: lots of time to endear himself to us, lots of space to develop his character and add depth to his personality. Being a handsome, dashing Italian man with interesting foes to fight and allies to win helped... the likable/charm factor is an important one.

Altair always struck me as being a bit of a dick in the first AC, poorly acted and not really memorable, which is partly down to bad writing I think. However, being fleshed out in Revelations did go some way toward saving him from remaining that way, and it kinda made me want the devs to remake AC1 and give it a sequel/prequel or two as well.

While I love that the developers chose AC3's setting and had Native Americans (and their language) be central to that game's plot, Connor was pretty wooden throughout, never really having the time to develop in the same way Ezio (and to an extent, Altair) did. I will always maintain that a sequel with a slightly older and wiser Connor would do a lot to redeem him, but I guess that won't be happening. I wanted them to take him to Paris and London, have it be a bit like Pocahontas meets Ezio, but it seems Arno will be our man over there and Connor will remain semi-developed and mostly disliked forever more.

• Thumbs Up 4

So it's pretty much confirmed that the name of the assassin is Arno. That's...not a French name, it's German. Odd choice. *shrug*

Since he seems unsure, I'm thinking it'll actually be Arnaud.

Altair always struck me as being a bit of a dick in the first AC, poorly acted and not really memorable, which is partly down to bad writing I think. However, being fleshed out in Revelations did go some way toward saving him from remaining that way, and it kinda made me want the devs to remake AC1 and give it a sequel/prequel or two as well.

Well, Altair Chronicles on DS was a prequel and Bloodlines on PSP was a sequel. Revelations told the story of the rest of his life, so I'm not really sure it's necessary.