Awoo.

The Assassin's Creed Topic - Vive les assassins! Vive la France!

Speederino

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/assassins-creed-chronicles-trilogy-announced

Ubisoft has announced the Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Trilogy, a set of three games for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC that will take players to China, India, and Russia to follow the stories of three famous Assassins.

Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China was originally announced last September as part of Assassin’s Creed Unity‘s season pass. It will be the first game to release on April 21 in North America and April 22 in Europe for $9.99.

The other two games, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India and Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: Russia will follow at later dates.

All three games are developed by Climax Studios, and bring the Assassin’s Creed series to the 2.5D realm. Here’s the full outline:

Wow, the gameplay looks complete rubbish. So Ubisoft are going to continue to milk this once great franchise for all it's worth.  *Sigh*

XujHL.gif

No thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

So Ubisoft's going beyond releasing one big game a year it seems. Three games bundled together, oh joy.

So Ubisoft's going beyond releasing one big game a year it seems. Three games bundled together, oh joy.

Not bundled together, Chronicles China is coming out first.

The only thing I seem to like from what I see is the art style, but that's probably it.

>large percentage of the Assassins Creed fanbase want a game set in china

>Ubisoft acknowledge by making a boing looking 2.5 side scroller game instead of something akin to Brothehood or Revelations.

Lol. That's like if Square were acknowledging the demand for Frozen and Star Wars for KH by putting those worlds in a crappy mobile game that no one care about.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So is this series really all it's cracked up to be? The first assassin's creed game I played was revolution and I just found it kinda dull, I couldn't get into it. Did I just start at the wrong point?

Revelations is a shit game, so, yes.

Well, it's not shit. But story-wise it's a really bad place to start, and gameplay wise it's not as good as AC2 or ACB. And I suppose it marks the point where turning AC into an annual series really started wear thin. 

Revelations is a shit game, so, yes.

It's not a shit game, it's just such a boring game to play. It's obviously rushed, it's pretty much the same in terms of gameplay, and all of the extra fluff is a waste of time.

Well if it's boring because it's more of the same, then wouldn't I not like it no matter where I started

Well if it's boring because it's more of the same, then wouldn't I not like it no matter where I started

In some form or another, you'll have a much more pleasant time with the new games.

Unfortunately, I'm saying this because I am really damn tired of the Ubisoft's traditional Triple A open-world kind of game with way too much fluff in it. They just don't entertain me anymore, and the game entices you with all of these collectibles but only a handful of the games in the "Yearly Open-Wo- I mean, Rushed* franchise actually force you to collect a type of collectible. Regardless, if you are here for  just the story than Revelations not only doesn't deliver that but it delivers little to be even remotely entertaining in terms of gameplay.

• 6 months later...

Necroposting, but i have a reason for it (and might as well savage this thread than open a new one just for my little experiment).

While i was surfing /v/, i came across an interesting thread about someone asking clearification about the modern-setting timeline of this franchise after III (up until the end of Syndicate), and, yeah, i kinda agree with that. It's like a complete mess and makes me wonder if Ubisoft is even knowing what they're doing with it.

I'll copypaste the informations he reported in the thread (i guess i'll spoiler them too, just in case):

"just what the fuck is up with the modern day storyline of Assassin's Creed? I mean, after III it became a clusterfuck of multiple plotlines going on intertwining and creating a mess even more confusing and contrived than Kingdom Hearts (wich is saying a lot). You have to do busy work just to get everything in place; for fuck's sake, the Dark Souls games have easier to reconstruct lores and stories!
I mean, look at this snarl just after AC III:

>Abstergo decides to drop the evil corp thingy and becomes a meta joke for Ubisoft, but it still does shady stuff under the sugar coat
>a bloke gets assumed as a beta tester for Abstergo, gets involved in random assassins stuff and ultimatetly gets either forced to join the templars or gets shot (do we even know what happened to the poor bastard?)
>at the same time, another bloke is trying to play vidya in his house but gets hacked by the assassins and forced to play random stuff to get them clues on the artifacts
>the assassins themselves now are doing, pretty much whatever the fuck they want, and Shawn & Rebecca just go from place to place until they die or get captured at the end of Syndicate
>in the meantime, the director of Abstergo gets killed like an idiot because he has to go to Chicago and there he gets shot by Aiden Pearce, a random hacker who doesn't even have connections to assasins or templars
>and while ALL OF THIS IS GOING ON, Juno is roaming around computers and apparently is forcing Abstergo to create a device that will give her a new body or something

And i may have just scratched the surface and forgot a lot of stuff. But still, what a fucking mess, Ubisoft: where the hell do you think you can go with this expecting a one game per year rule?"

I guess he summed up aproximately, but yeah, that's pretty much about it. Unless there are extra information in that spin-off games with multiple episodes set in China, India and Russia.

But yeah, what do you guys think of all of this? Is Ubi even trying anymore to give a shit about the coherence of the plot of this franchise?

I know it's a stupid question to the core, but i still wanna hope something good can come out of all of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

So further proof that at some point we might as well drop the whole modern timeline at some point, wrapped up, so we can just enjoy the bliss of historical murdering?

So further proof that at some point we might as well drop the whole modern timeline at some point, wrapped up, so we can just enjoy the bliss of historical murdering?

The series would be much better off being totally rebooted.

As far as I can see, the developers have written themselves into a shitty corner, ignoring (by choice or because they were ordered from on high to) most of the criticisms leveled at the series - which are about the same each time now. The only way out is to bullshit harder and harder, going to Resident Evil or Kingdom Hearts levels of convoluted horseshittiness. It's just so sad, because you know that there's amazing potential in that series, but you also know that they won't stop and take a hard look at it until the series' sales crash hard, as Rockband, Guitar Hero and NFS' did years back. And by then, who knows what the series' rep will be like? As long as they occasionally hit it big with occasional gems like Black Flag, the series is only going nowhere; methinks the next big hit will be a 20th century affair.

Big hopes here for Desilets' attempts to revive his own vision for this type of historically-based series.

Edited by Patticus

I guess I'll give my two cents on the series as a whole, at least up until Black Flag, which I never played past. 

My opinion? Jesus H christ is Assassins Creed  a video game series with some of the most wasted potential of all time.

I got into the series a bit late, but I made sure to start with AC1. Cool premise, but it honestly feels like a game that chooses style over substance, rather than trying to be  an all around fun game. Altair is a paper thin, one dimensional protagonist, with awful voice acting to boot, and a rather by the numbers story. Go to this city, complete a set of missions to find out info about your targets, rinse and repeat. Speaking of which, the mission structure kills this game. It's the one thing that has stopped me from replaying it ever since I touched it for the first time.

I  love the Crusades setting, and the whole twist tha t you're actually a Modern Day Assassin the whole time relieving genetic memories was a really cool idea, honestly the only aspect of the plot that kept my interest. 

I moved on to AC2 shortly afterwards, and  wow what an improvement it was over the first game.  Not only did it improve on the gameplay tremendously, but Ezio was a far more interesting character than Altair could ever be. It was everything the first game should have been, and it left me incredibly hyped for playing Brotherhood.

Unfortunately, Brotherhood left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, at least for the first time playing it. It felt like a poor man's version of 2, and the plot did nothing for me. Ezio's story felt like little more than a generic power fantasy compared to the gripping revenge story of the previous game. Replaying the game, I quite like it though. I think it did a decent job expanding on 2's gameplay, and the Assassin recruit system was cool. This really does feel like the point where Ubisoft began milking the series for all it was worth, though.

Brotherhood was the last Assassins Creed game I ever fully played. I recently bought Revelations, and man did it bore me. 3 started off interesting, but began to lose me when I started playing as Connor. I honestly would have preferred a full game with Haytham instead, since  he was a more interesting character that provided a less black and white look at The Templars.   Black Flag never really kept my interest, because it didn't really feel like an Assassins Creed game to me. Not a fan of the sailing mechanic, sorry.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate

So I picked up Unity in an attempt to play catch-up. It's...okay. Eh. I like that there's a strong stealth focus but it feels like every slight bit of gameplay progress, tweaks, and innovations between this and ACII was completely scrapped. Because I really feel like I'm just replaying that one, only now I'm in Paris. It's only taken a couple hours with this game for me to finally see why people say this series doesn't innovate (which I think is overall rather bollocks, if you were actually paying attention between 2009-2013).

I'm not disliking it, I'm invested enough to see the game through. But if I wanted to play ACII, I would have just played ACII.

• 4 weeks later...

Potentially good news! It looks like the next AC will actually be skipping 2016, hopefully giving the developers proper time to fully polish it and give it the time of day it needs. As someone who used to be a huge fan of the series, I hope this is true.

Article: http://kotaku.com/sources-next-big-assassins-creed-set-in-egypt-skippin-1750937895

BTW, has anyone in here played Syndicate? I hear/read good things, but I'm not sure if I want to bite just yet. May wait for a price drop like Unity.

8 hours ago, DarkSamus117 said:

BTW, has anyone in here played Syndicate? I hear/read good things, but I'm not sure if I want to bite just yet. May wait for a price drop like Unity.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've heard Syndicate was actually pretty decent, but since I don't own a next gen console I haven't had chance to play it. Eh, I'm not interested anyway.

Good to hear Ubisoft is not releasing a Assassins Creed game this year though! Hopefully this means the next one (which is supposedly set in Ancient Egypt!) will be a much more polished game with major gameplay improvements. Maybe even give it a soft reboot?

This means we only have the Assassins Creed movie with Fassbender for 2016! It better be decent.  

On 1/4/2016 at 5:20 PM, DarkSamus117 said:

Syndicate's great.  It doesn't reinvent the wheel or whatever, but the rope launcher is a nifty little tool that makes traversing the environment a bit more fun and less time consuming.  Driving carriages is just stupidly hysterical 90% of the time, and is a ton of fun too.  Still has all the Ubisoft checklist bloat for side content though.

The story's also a bit lame and almost completely nonexistent most of the time, but Jacob and Evie are entertaining enough to carry it along.

I'd definitely check it out; maybe not at full price (I got it for $30ish during Black Friday), but it's a lot of fun and it's a lot better than Unity.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

Revelations was really good, too. If it just wasn't for the tower defense crap, it'd be at the level of the other two.

So Brotherhood and Rev will have the multiplayer parts still right? And why not have this be the "Desmond collection" and have AC1-3? Story wise, it makes no sense just including the Ezio ones.

They could remaster AC1 on it's own and release it digitally (Or even include it here to connect with Altair's story in Revelations)  and do an America collection including 3, Liberation and Rogue (And maybe include a digital code for Black Flag). That way the whole main series would be on current gen.

Ezio collection would be first since he and his games are the most beloved of the series.