Awoo.

The Assassin's Creed Topic - Vive les assassins! Vive la France!

Speederino

Upsilon Thunder Kill- (Lightning strikes every time you make a kill)

Holy shit, this one sounds fucking amazing. Every silent kill looking even more amazing with the strike of lightning, if there's any pivot I want, it's that one.

Holy shit, this one sounds fucking amazing. Every silent kill looking even more amazing with the strike of lightning, if there's any pivot I want, it's that one.

Well, that's the last one you can open, so...have fun!  wink.png

So I was playing LEGO Lord of the Rings- yes, this is relevant- and I found something kind of neat.

Keep in mind there are no added sounds to the video, the eagle noise really is in the game.

*Reads the posts about Connor.* You know, of the multiple issues AC 3 does have, Connor is NOT one of them. It took forever to actually get to play as him, yeah but, his story was great and fitting for the time period it took place in. People can complain about the "lack of emotion" all they want but, apparently they didn't notice that he does get emotional in quite a few parts. Maybe they just didn't care to pay attention since he speaks his native tongue a lot more than the random Italian words and phrases thrown into the Ezio games.

• Thumbs Up 2

*Reads the posts about Connor.* You know, of the multiple issues AC 3 does have, Connor is NOT one of them. It took forever to actually get to play as him, yeah but, his story was great and fitting for the time period it took place in. People can complain about the "lack of emotion" all they want but, apparently they didn't notice that he does get emotional in quite a few parts. Maybe they just didn't care to pay attention since he speaks his native tongue a lot more than the random Italian words and phrases thrown into the Ezio games.

So glad someone said this other than me. Connor does show emotion. Might not be as crazy as Ezio (I mean he did see his father and brothers get hung for false accusations) but Connor had a lot of emotion. Plus since we didn't see what happened during his training (they skipped a good 7 months) we don't know what all he learn. For all we know, Achilles could have taught him how to hide his emotions. Yet it still came out when his people were attacked and when he finally got to Lee. And maybe I'm the only one who noticed this but Connor showed a great amount of emotion during his naval missions. You can't just scream orders without any meaning. I heard something in those missions that I had not heard in any game in a very long time. Hell his commands may have been the best acting I've heard in any video game. 

That, and maybe that one guy really wasn't a man for tradition. Some people really are like that. But just because he wasn't, that doesn't mean the order as a whole wasn't.

And going back to this. I'm pretty sure Achilles mentioned something about the Creed falling off during this time. Kinda like how it was in modern time. Also, Achilles does say he was not one for tradition. So the whole "live by the creed" blah blah was not something he followed 100%. He was an assassin. Like Altair and Ezio in their final days.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished Assassin's Creed Revelations. Very, very good game, with only a couple of niggles - that first wagon chase was awful, combat felt harder to 'enter' than before, it was a bit too short and the hidden wells being stuck at 27/31 with no foreseeable patch to fix it so there are 31 to blow open was a bitch. Other than that, though, pretty awesome stuff. I'm currently debating whether to replay it now, or watch Embers and move on to #3. I'm one of the few people who loves III's setting so much that the disappointment others have been experiencing isn't at all likely for me, and I know I'll replay ACR again soon anyhow... hmmm... what to do.

it was a bit too short and the hidden wells being stuck at 27/31 with no foreseeable patch to fix it so there are 31 to blow open was a bitch.

Wait, what? Hidden wells? But I didn't...there's...?

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!? I think I just learned something new.

Elucidation: There are supposed to be 31 hidden wells scattered across Constantinople; those wells with wooden boards covering them, which you blow up with bombs. There are only 27 (many people have looked for the rest, and no, they aren't in Cappadocia or Masyaf), and they aren't featured in the DNA menu either. I can only conclude that the developers implemented most of them, but didn't have time to finish them all off and add a DNA entry for them. That, or it was a feature that was eventually cut despite being mostly implemented. A patch fixing it would've been easy to do. Given that they also had time to build that Vlad DLC, it seems most odd that they couldn't at the same time fix the hidden wells.

Edit: Just realized I haven't even started on The Lost Archive. D'oh! Looks like I have more to do. :D

Pat, what did you think about the ending of ACR?

Edit: Oh look at what i found from IGN....

The first episode in Assassin's Creed III's three-part alternate-history add-on, The Tyranny of King Washington, will release for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC on February 19. Called The Infamy, the first episode begins Connor's quest to topple the American throne.

If you're a Season Pass holder, you'll have free access to The Infamy come February 19. If you opt against buying the online pass for $29.99, the add-on will be sold for $9.99 (800 Microsoft Points).

Wii U players can expect to see The Tyranny of King Washington arrive on Wii U at a later date.

Edited by Eternal Xtreme

Pat, what did you think about the ending of ACR?

I thought that it was very well done indeed.

Following the surprisingly well done climactic chase sequence leading to Ahmet's sad end, Ezio and Sofia traveled together to Masyaf, becoming ever closer along the way. There was no fighting there, just a walk, with a conversation between the two characters, followed by Ezio reliving Altair's final moments in the presence of the man's bones and time-tattered robes. I enjoyed the whole sequence immensely, and don't think it could have been done better if they had tried.

The bit with Clay saving Desmond was good, but didn't really mean anything until I played The Lost Archive later on, which was surprisingly rewarding and made Desmond's own similar sequences feel more substantial.

Having watched Embers and finished The Lost Archive, I'm put into a sad mood. My favorite character in gaming, who was such a big part of this generation to me, is now gone. Well, technically he has been gone for 487 years, but that's neither here nor there.

If there is an Assassin's Creed movie or TV series which covers the life and times of Ezio Auditore da Firenze, I hope it handles his end as well as the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish I could even play those missions...I wonder if they're gonna be used as filler to avoid making another game with Connor? I hope not.

I haven't played AC 3 in a long while. Especially now I have Sly...I'll go back to it one day, but in the mean time does anyone know how to get past that battlefield with all the shooting and the bombs? I can't seem to make it no matter what I do. I even tried following the guide, but no help. :/

What's the bet at the end Conner will say he's sorry to Washington, and Washington will do the same? I doubt he'll be much of a villain, the game had him do terrible things yet Conner still saw him as great.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm having trouble playing intermediate level Twelve Man's Morris in AC3. My opponent can place three checkers in a row and get a Mill, yet I am unable - clicking the free spot doesn't do a damn thing.

Is this a game bug? Because it's damn frustrating.

Edit: Never mind, I forgot that I had to select an opposing piece to remove.

Having played the whole main series now (not the psp and ds games though I may get them one day) I have to say, AC3 is phenominal, the first game is crap, I struggled to get through it just because it;s so bloody unenjoyable. 2 was great, everything that was wrong with the first was fixed and it felt like you were actually taking part in a story. Brotherhood was good but not quite as good, the story was great though. Revelations was a little poorer I though, not as enjoyable at all.

But 3, wow. I was blown away. I don't get people complaining about connor being non-emotional, did they play the game? He's stoic yes but he's had a hard life and life has toughened him.

Despite that, during the scenes with Haythem especially, the game was so well animated you could see emotions in Connor's eyes even if he said nothing. You can see a great respect for his father and a sadness that they can never have the relationship they should have.

The story was the best of the series by far, from the twist revealing Haythem to be a templar, The long journey connor goes on to becoming an adult and Desmond finally coming into his own. It was as near to perfect as the series could ever hope for.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm somewhere in the middle of AC3's sequence 2, and I'm still getting used to all the changes they've made:

• The Map. Somehow, it's more irritating to use than ever more. Every time I try to use it I end up accidentally fiddling with the key display thing. Very annoying. Definitely prefer the AC:B/R maps to this.
  • Combat. I'm still very much in AC2/B/R mode, so whenever I enter a fight I get my arse handed to me for a minute or two, just because the devs thought it'd be a great idea to change the Counter button.
  • Free Running. It feels so much smoother than ever before, which is really lovely, but right now at least I actually feel like despite Ezio's occasional tendency to leap off into the air in directions other than that which I intended, I still had more control over the processes of climbing and free running (and general movement actually) than I do here. This may in part be due to the game's setting and the fact that it is utilizing an updated and improved movement system, and I don't think I'll feel this way come the mid-points of the game. It's also nice to jump into trees and not fall awkwardly to the ground. Oh yeah and I'm still getting used to basic running - there's no more 'run' and 'sprint', just however far you depress the running trigger, which often seems to set me into a sprint at every available opportunity.

Other than those things, I'm very happy with the game so far. In particular, I'm very much enjoying the voice acting. Everybody sounds as they should to my mind - lots of British accents with a few Dutch/Germanic ones scattered about.

I'm not too sure about the music though; I'm starting to notice the loss of Jesper Kyd's influence. A game with a setting like this really needs a distinctive soundtrack which doesn't take a back seat to everything else. That said, if AC3 and any sequels set in this era are to feel like their own games, they do require a different sound to AC2 and its two successors. I dunno, so far the music's not doing much for me. I wonder if they could get Bear McReary in to do the next game's soundtrack? It'd be like a cross between Battlestar Galactica, John Adams and The Last Of The Mohicans, i.e. epic.

On a couple of characters:

Haytham is a great character, although sometimes I wish he had slightly more of a regional British accent. He seems a little vanilla, a little neutral if you will, compared to Ezio and Altair. Still, he's a long way from being a bad character and his relationship with Gen. Braddock is quite interesting. I'd certainly like to see a prequel title exploring Haytham's early Assassin career and some of his times spent with Braddock. Scope for a book, perhaps?

Ben Franklin is awesome, sounding just enough like he did in the HBO mini-series John Adams for me to mentally link the two and form a more complete mental image of the era.

I can see myself getting along with this game nicely, but having a few distinct niggles which persist to the end.

• Combat. I'm still very much in AC2/B/R mode, so whenever I enter a fight I get my arse handed to me for a minute or two, just because the devs thought it'd be a great idea to change the Counter button.

That took some getting used to for me, too. But once I got used to tapping the circle button instead of holding R1, this honestly became my favorite combat system in the series. Ubisoft finally seems to have realized that everyone just counters anyways and doesn't really bother with all of the special moves and charge attacks, so they just went ahead and embraced that.

Haven't readthe book myself, my brother has though and said it was really good, yeah it deals with Haytham's backstory, from what he's  told me is pretty surprising :P

I wonder if there will be any more Subject 16-style extra bits in games to come? I really enjoyed them in AC2 and Brotherhood, and liked even more that Desmond and Clay both got awesome backstories combined with sort of Portal-esque puzzle things in Revelations. More of that please. Some of the music in them was wonderfully understated and haunting.

I really do need to get into the series' novelizations. I gather they're pretty much all excellent.

Did s'more playing of AC3 today. Mastering the Corner Assassination technique in the Silas mission was great fun, though I did at one point attract an entire squad of British soldiers over to me, at which point I just sort of nonchalantly walked off. Hehe. Exploring snow-covered Boston is pretty neat too, though it does make me yearn for a snowy pre-Dickensian London and revolutionary Paris to bounce about in. C'mon Ubisoft, it's what the people want...

Edit #1: Does anybody know if the music from Revelations' Lost Archive DLC is available to purchase on CD?

Edit #2: So, other than the small snippets of music which playy here and there (in combat, in taverns etc), is there any proper ambient world music at all? AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations all had beautiful ambient scores, and AC1's was usually passable, if not pretty good at times. The game's title screen music hints at a really nice score reflecting the era in which the game is set, but I'm not hearing a damn thing out there so far. sad.png

So yeah, I'm a ways more in now...

Haytham being a Templar

completely threw me for a loop. Looking back, he did sort of hint at it with all his talk of maintaining order and whatnot, but even so, it was a BIG SURPRISE! More so, given how he uses the Assassin order's movement and weapon techniques. And to think I was coming to like that bastard. >=(

One of the hunting missions as 14 year old Connor frustrated me massively; why does setting a snare and throwing bait count as a baited snare, but laying bait before setting the snare doesn't? It's the same thing. Also, the sheer numbers of deer I was getting every time I laid out bait was hilarious. I wanted a hare and all I got was 7 deer and 3 foxes. Hah.

Anyway, I've now started to make my way out into the world, exploring part of the Frontier region, hunting all manner of animals (even kicking bear and wolf arse). Even killed a lone militiaman patrolling a clifftop by the lake near the road to the homestead. First blood. Felt good man.

• Thumbs Up 2

I explored the whole of Boston as Haytham at the beginning. Then I found out he was a Templar. I felt so terrible for doing so much in Boston as him that two days back I deleted my game save and vowed to start anew. Today, I did so, just getting to the end of the Silas murder and entering winter mode before shutting off the game earlier.

Oh well, at least I sort of know how to fight now, so I can get by some of the combat missions a bit easier.

I'm not about to go looking this up, not so early on in the game, don't like premature spoilers in games I invest myself in, you see, but I have a couple of theories going about the plot:

I have a strong feeling Haytham was at one time an Assassin. He implies that he was brought up in the order, but he has known Braddock for quite a number of years and they were Templar brothers in arms by all accounts, so he must have defected in his youth, after his training as an Assassin was complete and he had obtained his two hidden blades. Either that, or this branch of the family tree was turned

before Haytham's birth, and the Templars have been utilizing training programs and weapons mimicking those of the Assassins for some time.

Also, the man Haytham murdered in the Theatre Royal... they had a long history, clearly. His father, perhaps? The British Assassins' Mentor? Something like that.

Am I close on either count?

Close enough to be right evidently.

Later on in the game you meet a recruit who was the child of the man who Haytham killed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I'm good. I'm very good. cool.png And thank you for not spoiling the rest of the game. I'm having heaps of fun, especially now that during missions I can go back to the last checkpoint whenever I violate a constraint, instead of having to redo the entire memory over.

So in about two weeks, Ubisoft will have a chance to show us a what if Washington didn't become the leader he was. What if Washington went all....ALL HAIL THE KING. I'm so ready for this. pt 1 better be good. I don't want a weak DLC followed by a decent one followed by weak. This whole set better be great.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable zombie campaign, where Connor has to blend with crowds of zombies by shuffling, moaning, and eating the brains of Templar survivors.

EDIT: Wait...what? (EDIT 2: Better link in below post) I can't say I'm liking the sound of this. I loved the supernatural abilities in Dishonored, but is this really fitting for Assassin's Creed?

Edited by Speederino