Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

PSI Wind

Is there any reason to think it wouldn't? I could understand some little obscure thing not being brought over but this is a pretty high quality piece of fanfare.

Edited by speedfreak

Don't think about it too much, from your own idea of what you think will happen I can say you didn't spoil the biggest part of the game at all.

Phew, okay. That's good.

Yeah that art book is nice! I'd be quick to shell out 40$ for that if it comes over to the US, I want to celebrate the anniversary at its fullest.

Third timeline ?

FSA not having the same Link as in FS ?

I call bullshit. Someone's taking use of the fact this hasn't been translated yet to troll the Internet.

Also, got a question.

If Link and Zelda are the ones who forged the Master Sword, does that mean they're two of the "original" sages (the Ancient Sages) ? Considering Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an Ancient Sage, does that mean Gaepora is an Ancient Sage too ? But Rauru is an Ancient Sage too, right ? So does that mean he's Gapora under another name, and his spirit takes the form of Kaepora Gaebora outside the Temple of Light ?

So, that'd mean three of the Ancient Sages are confirmed to be: Link, Zelda and Gaepora. Who are the others ?

Edited by Koopalmier

I don't really play zelda games but this timeline is all over the damn place.

I thought Majora's Mask tool place right after Ocarina wtf?

I don't really play zelda games but this timeline is all over the damn place.

I thought Majora's Mask tool place right after Ocarina wtf?

It still does in this timeline.

Holdit.gif

Mr. Aonuma has contradicted his own claims! Originally he said that Ocarina of Time had two endings, one where Link was a child, and another where he was an adult. Wind Waker wasn't an alternate scenario where Link never defeated Ganondorf, but rather it took place in the adult timeline years AFTER Link left the future to go back to being a kid.

As proof of this, Link is even shown slaying Ganondorf in Wind Waker's opening. The game even mentions the Hero of Time by name, but if this new timeline is correct, then Link NEVER beat Ganondorf in OoT, so why was he remembered as doing so? Where is this THIRD timeline coming from?

Also why do people want timelines A and C together? Shouldn't A and B be grouped together? It only makes sense that the WW/PH/ST games be isolated since they don't have the original Hyrule.

And I refuse to accept that any games pre-Wind Waker are set in the 2nd Hyrule from Spirit Tracks.

There's something wrong with all of this. Not that they could get it completely perfect at this point, but this is just confusing.

EDIT: Retraction, I misread something.

It's actually saying that the pre-OoT games come in the timeline where Link failed. That makes even LESS sense.

Why are so many games based off of an alternate scenario that never happens at all? That's like splitting a timeline based off Talon actually letting you marry Malon, or Link never being able to afford to pay Tingle to decipher the Triforce charts.

phoenix-sweating%28a%29.gif

Edited by The Soldier
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. Aonuma has contradicted his own claims! Originally he said that Ocarina of Time had two endings, one where Link was a child, and another where he was an adult. Wind Waker wasn't an alternate scenario where Link never defeated Ganondorf, but rather it took place in the adult timeline years AFTER Link left the future to go back to being a kid.

This is exactly what this timeline says..

Also why do people want timelines A and C together? Shouldn't A and B be grouped together? It only makes sense that the WW/PH/ST games be isolated since they don't have the original Hyrule.

And I refuse to accept that any games pre-Wind Waker are set in the 2nd Hyrule from Spirit Tracks.

I see nothing wrong with it being in the same Hyrule as Spirit Tracks. I think it makes enough sense. But according to this, it doesn't take place in the same one.

This is exactly what this timeline says..

I see nothing wrong with it being in the same Hyrule as Spirit Tracks. I think it makes enough sense. But according to this, it doesn't take place in the same one.

Yeah, my bad. I misread it and edited the original post. I realized it pretty quickly after I posted that.

Anyway the reason a Link to the Past never could be in the same timeline as WW/PH/ST is because of the Master Sword. We know where it ends up at the end of Wind Waker(inside Ganondorf's skull) but it's in the Lost Woods in A Link to the Past. Wind Waker can only reasonably be the final goodbye to the sword since it sinks with Hyrule, so by that logic the Oracle games can't happen in the same timeline as Wind Waker either.

Yes, I realize the timeline ISN'T saying that they do, but I don't know why it's a popular theory.

On top of that, if any game had to be in a completely alternate timeline, the Four Swords games would be more logical candidates, since they give a different backstory for Ganondorf.

Edited by The Soldier

Erm.

The "Hero fails" timeline does happen; it's the one you enter at the beginning of OoT's Adult Link section. At that point, Ganondorf has won decisively, and only then do you change it, which creates a second (and third!) timeline apparently.

Zelda seems to subscribe to the "new universe created for every action" version of time travel.

And lo, the moment an official position on this damn thing shows up, everything gets even more confusing.

Erm.

The "Hero fails" timeline does happen; it's the one you enter at the beginning of OoT's Adult Link section. At that point, Ganondorf has won decisively, and only then do you change it, which creates a second (and third!) timeline apparently.

Zelda seems to subscribe to the "new universe created for every action" version of time travel.

And lo, the moment an official position on this damn thing shows up, everything gets even more confusing.

I hadn't considered that, mostly because the we know that the adult timeline gets a happy ending, so I thought its events were self contained until the split happens at the end.

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't really see the room to have the Hero Fails scenario for that reason. So yeah, the ARE doing the "new universe for every action" time travel thing.

This is needlessly complicated.

Edited by The Soldier

Erm.

Except Link hadn't failed. His quest was still there, still needed to be done. Zelda may subscribe to "every action" but it also subscribes to fate and destiny and the like. Link would have ALWAYS been suspended for seven years, Gannondorf would have ALWAYS taken Hyrule Castle, it all would have happened in that way. The games are pretty fuckin' clear on that point.

So if Link fails by going about the exact steps he has to take, then how much sense does that actually make?

Besides, for Link to be altering the past (in the future timeline), he'd have needed more time travel. He's altering the present. He didn't travel through time, he just waited a very long time. He travels back to the past, but the seven-years part is no sort of time travel at all. He wouldn't age otherwise.

Nathan.

You misunderstand.

You're making too much sense.

The beauty of the Zelda timeline is that it doesn't make sense at all!

Don't you see? :D

• Thumbs Up 2

I also hate/ disagree with the whole 'hero fails' timeline. Sorry, but just... no. It doesn't happen.

The only way it would ever happen is if Link never awoke from his seven-year sleep in OoT or there was an actual 'bad ending' to OoT. There isn't. There's a Game Over screen, which I doubt is considered a valid, canon ending.

Link doesn't fail in OoT. D: So how the hell are so many games lumped in a category that doesn't make sense? It almost feels like they just took the ones they couldn't find any coherent place for and just stuck them there.

I hope it's fake b/c how can a timeline where Link fails happen? Link both defeated Ganon and then went back in time. So it makes sense that there are two. But failing doesn't make sense... And where's Soul Calibur 2?? I was hoping they included that since there actually was a backstory for Link traveling to another world to defeat Soul Edge and then using his ocarina of time to return to Hyrule. Which always made me think it's a sequel to Majora's Mask with the same Link.

Third timeline ?

FSA not having the same Link as in FS ?

I call bullshit. Someone's taking use of the fact this hasn't been translated yet to troll the Internet.

Also, got a question.

If Link and Zelda are the ones who forged the Master Sword, does that mean they're two of the "original" sages (the Ancient Sages) ? Considering Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an Ancient Sage, does that mean Gaepora is an Ancient Sage too ? But Rauru is an Ancient Sage too, right ? So does that mean he's Gapora under another name, and his spirit takes the form of Kaepora Gaebora outside the Temple of Light ?

So, that'd mean three of the Ancient Sages are confirmed to be: Link, Zelda and Gaepora. Who are the others ?

Um, could anyone answer my question please ? :V

I always presumed that the timeline for WW was like this:

OoT --> MM --> WW

Why?

At the end of Ocarina of Time, it was established that Link is forcibly reverted back to his childhood years after he defeats Ganon, and that he and Zelda presumably managed to get Ganondorf (dorf refers to what he was before he became the full King of Evil) sealed up as well in this new time. It was also noted that Navi, the annoying little bug that pestered you faithful fairy companion that aided Link's quest to become the Hero of Time, also mysteriously chose to leave.

Link, in a decision we don't really understand, decides to leave Hyrule to go after Navi and Zelda gives him the Ocarina as a memento (I presume), thus leading up to Majora's Mask.

This is where things becomes somewhat speculatory. During the time that Link is gone saving Termina, or even when he is still wandering around in the Lost Woods after he defeats Majora's Wrath, Ganon somehow breaks out fo wherever the hell they sealed him and begins to take over Hyrule, ONLY THIS TIME, Link isn't here to save the kingdom, so in an act of desperation, the Gods get a few survivors (Zelda included) up to the mountains, and then drown the rest of Hyrule to prevent Ganon from getting the Triforce again. This leads up to Wind Waker, since the mountains became Islands in the Great Sea and Zelda passed her lineage on to Tetra, the awesome tomboy pirate. And everyone knows what happened afterwards.

Actually, it's:

(Adult) Oot----->WW

(Child) OoT---->MM

Ganon comes back, and Link isn't there because he was sent back to the child timeline, where he and Zelda stopped Ganondorf's plot before it started, at which point Link began his travel that would lead him into Termina.

This stuff is really confusing since pretty much all of it comes from translated interviews, with none of it in the actual games.

Wind Waker and Majora's Mask can't possibly exist in the same timeline branch, really.

At the end of Ocarina of Time, Link is sent back to when he was a child. In this 'version' of events, the whole shit with Ganondorf never happened at all, as we can assume he was preempted. He never took over Hyrule and Link was never frozen for seven years. In this version of events, the seven years later part hasn't happened. It's this young Link that goes off to Termina in Majora's Mask.

Meanwhile, Wind Waker directly references the Hero of Time- meaning it branches off from the 'seven years later' part of Ocarina of Time. Link 'vanished' from this timeline BECAUSE he was sent back into the past at the end, after beating Ganon, and went back to the 'good future' timeline and then onto Majora's Mask.

Wind Waker and Majora's Mask can't possibly exist in the same timeline branch, really.

At the end of Ocarina of Time, Link is sent back to when he was a child. In this 'version' of events, the whole shit with Ganondorf never happened at all, as we can assume he was preempted. He never took over Hyrule and Link was never frozen for seven years. In this version of events, the seven years later part hasn't happened. It's this young Link that goes off to Termina in Majora's Mask.

Meanwhile, Wind Waker directly references the Hero of Time- meaning it branches off from the 'seven years later' part of Ocarina of Time. Link 'vanished' from this timeline BECAUSE he was sent back into the past at the end, after beating Ganon, and went back to the 'good future' timeline and then onto Majora's Mask.

Holy shit I didnt even notice the weather plothole.

Mind = Blown.

I did. I just assumed the hole in the sky you fall through looks wider from the bottom. Or clouds are like a one-way mirror in the Zelda universse.

Edited by SuperStingray

I always presumed that the timeline for WW was like this:

OoT --> MM --> WW

Why?

At the end of Ocarina of Time, it was established that Link is forcibly reverted back to his childhood years after he defeats Ganon, and that he and Zelda presumably managed to get Ganondorf (dorf refers to what he was before he became the full King of Evil) sealed up as well in this new time. It was also noted that Navi, the annoying little bug that pestered you faithful fairy companion that aided Link's quest to become the Hero of Time, also mysteriously chose to leave.

Link, in a decision we don't really understand, decides to leave Hyrule to go after Navi and Zelda gives him the Ocarina as a memento (I presume), thus leading up to Majora's Mask.

This is where things becomes somewhat speculatory. During the time that Link is gone saving Termina, or even when he is still wandering around in the Lost Woods after he defeats Majora's Wrath, Ganon somehow breaks out fo wherever the hell they sealed him and begins to take over Hyrule, ONLY THIS TIME, Link isn't here to save the kingdom, so in an act of desperation, the Gods get a few survivors (Zelda included) up to the mountains, and then drown the rest of Hyrule to prevent Ganon from getting the Triforce again. This leads up to Wind Waker, since the mountains became Islands in the Great Sea and Zelda passed her lineage on to Tetra, the awesome tomboy pirate. And everyone knows what happened afterwards.

Adult timeline: Link is sent back in time. Ganon is sealed by the sages, but manages to free himself less than a lifetime later and takes over the Triforce of Power before trying to take over Hyrule again. Because Link isn't there anymore (explanation in the child timeline), nobody is able to stop Ganondorf, so the Goddesses flood Hyrule. Wind Waker later happens.

Child timeline: Link is back from the future, at a point right before he meets Zelda. He tells her what Ganondorf will do, and she believes him. He's then decided to be executed by the Ancient Sages, but he has the Triforce of Power (Link, who did do all the OoT adventure, has the Triforce of Courage, but he went back in time at a point when he's not supposed to have it. But he has it. So the Triforce chooses its other hosts automatically) and uses it to kill one of the sages. He's then sealed in the Twilight Realm. Meanwhile, Link wants to find Navi, and he searches in the Lost Woods for that, eventually ending up in Termina and saving the alternate world. Onve he got out of Termina, one can assume he lost his way in the forest and became a Stalfos, aka the Hero's Soul (or something) who teaches Link moves in Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess then happens.