Awoo.

Destiny: Bungie's new game

Jacky

I'm liking the concept and the artwork, but the fact that this won't be a Mass Effect-style singleplayer space opera disappoints me. Screw all these so-called "highly social gaming experiences," I just want a good story told well without having multiplayer bullshit rammed down my throat at every opportunity by inadequate PR men who only know how to sell Call of Duty and Halo clones to the masses, and publisher reps who only care about their companies' precious bottom lines.

So you get the picture; I won't be getting this, but I will be looking out for spin-offs and sequels in genres more to my taste, provided this game lives up to expectations.

This actually looks rather interesting. The concept art looks really good, kinda hard-ish sci-fi aside from the alien protector (so far).

Now the MMO part of it is both a turn on and a turn-off to me. Turn-on in that it would be cool to go romp around with friends, turn-off in that there are times when I like a solo experience. Who knows where they'll take it tho, but I'm gonna hold on to my money before I let Bungie have it until I get wowed.

I've never played an MMO, never really been something I've wanted to try, as I just don't play many multiplayer games in general...But I'll at least keep paying attention to this one, graphically it's beautiful.

This... This sounds way too much like Firefall for my liking, and not nearly as revolutionary as that game will be.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Kinda hoping by the sound of it, that'll be similar to Borderlands, only on a bigger level as far as player limit goes but...

IN SPAAAAAACE!

• 2 months later...

looks like some retailers couldn't keep the lid on it, from that description 

Everything changed with the arrival of Voyageur. It was originally a Golden Age that allowed our civilization to establish itself in the solar system. But it could not last. Something we put ashore broke. The survivors built a city in the Voyageur before returning explore our ancient worlds where only mortal enemies awaited them.

You are a Guardian, protector of last haven of life on Earth, armed with incredible powers. You must defend the city. Defeat our enemies. And look what we have lost. Be strong.

Key Features:

• The next evolution of entertainment – an incredible story set within a newly-imagined, always-connected universe filled with action and adventure.
  • Create your character, forge your legend by defeating powerful foes, and earn unique and customizable weapons, gear, and vehicles.
  • Unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay that redefines the genre and breaks traditional conventions of story, cooperative, and competitive multiplayer modes, combined with public and social activities.

destinyfront.jpg
destinyback.jpg

Gamestop preorder poster

also, a French retailer listed release date of October 6th, plus box art

Bungie's take on Borderlands perhaps? Really really interested by this game, the official announcement on sunday can't come quick enough

• Thumbs Up 4

more concept art

112815.jpg
three classes, Hunter, Warlock, and Titan (call dibs on Hunter)

112808.jpg

112824.jpg

112814.jpg

112813.jpg

112809.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eK93RzQmRw

Music sample, ugh it's absolutely beautiful 

Bungie will officially lift the embargo and reveil it in exactly 30 minutes from this post, check it out live here http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/15/ign-live-presents-the-reveal-of-bungies-destiny

• Thumbs Up 4

Looks cool. don't like the fact that I allways have to be online just to play it.

God its soooooooooooooo good to hear new stuff from marty again.

This is the one time I can understand online-only because this game looks like it's going to have a constantly evolving world and be kinda like an MMO, so that kind of requires an internet connection. 

That reveal video was pretty lacklustre :(

Going to go read these articles IGN has posted. I've got no problem with the online thing, since IGN said in their livestream that Bungie is quoted as saying that no subscription fee is required and that it's like an MMO but not an MMO apparently.

Bungie's Destiny: A Land of Hope and Dreams
Ambition, social interaction fuel creators of Halo in quest to make next great shooter.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/17/bungies-destiny-a-land-of-hope-and-dreams

Destiny: Quick FAQ
An out-of-context, pure-facts version of what know about Destiny so far.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/17/destiny-quick-faq

Various articles 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/17/bungies-destiny-a-land-of-hope-and-dreams

Destiny’s answer is to offer a quasi-massively multiplayer sci-fi experience (they call it a “shared world shooter”) that is fully playable by yourself, but designed to seamlessly connect you with friends. “We built this game from the ground up to be social and cooperative,” Jones reinforced. Is Destiny an MMOFPS? Sort of. Is there a subscription fee? No, emphasized Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg. Does it require an Internet connection in order to play? Yes.

As an extension of this pillar’s concept, Destiny will have no main menu. Instead, it just lives and you’re always in it when you boot the game up.

What the heck does “shared world shooter” mean?

Basically, it’s an MMO, but you can play the entire game solo or in small co-op groups.
Give me an example.

You and a buddy could be fighting some bad guys on a planet, and another player could seamlessly appear, help you out, and then you could group up or all go your separate ways.
What does it remind you of?

A bit of Planetside 2, a dash of Borderlands 2, and of course some Halo.

When and where is it set?

Post-apocalyptic earth.
Oh boy. That's original...

It’s not nuclear fallout or anything this time. Here’ humanity was pushed to the brink after a collapse and rescued by a mysterious force called the Traveler, a giant globe/moon thing that hovers over earth’s last great city and protects humans. Now we’ve rebounded enough to start exploring the galaxy again, but bad dudes are out there looking to keep us on the endangered species list.
Does this Traveler do anything else?

Humans can “use some of the Traveler’s power,” i.e. magical abilities!
Who do I play as?

A generic hero called a Guardian.
Are there character classes?

At least three: Titan (big guns), Hunter (sniper rifles/stealth), and Warlock (magic).
Will there be character customization?

Yes, loads of it. Gear, weapons, you name it.

http://kotaku.com/5984648/everything-i-know-about-bungies-next-first+person-shooter-destiny

In Destiny you live in a persistent world. It's constantly being affected by not just the passage of time, but by other players. As you enter certain areas of the game, the server will register which of these are public domains/combat areas. If you stumble into one, it'll automatically, and invisibly, search for another gamer to matchmake you with. Kind of like Journey, except the server will download all of that player's customized gear (which potentially makes up millions of unique, personalized characters). So as you play, the server should seamlessly integrate another player into your game. As you're scouting a safe path around the dangerous Cabal, for instance, you might bump into another player. So even though you're playing out your personal story, a lot of your time is spent in shared adventures. And even if you don't want to go on a quest with another player, you can watch other players carrying out their own missions together, right there in your game.

Oh wait, I've just realised something.

If this is an online only game. That means anyone who is only a silver Xbox Live user won't be able to play it will they?

So... my single-player experience would be be dependent on the quality of my internet connection?

The price to pay for a constantly evolving game universe.

Well, for those few with consistently reliable, high bandwidth connections running on fiber optic cabling, I'm sure it'll be a price well worth paying. Not for me though, and not for a lot of other people who have to struggle with substandard connections. This isn't South Korea or Japan, you know.

Well, for those few with consistently reliable, high bandwidth connections running on fiber optic cabling, I'm sure it'll be a price well worth paying. Not for me though, and not for a lot of other people who have to struggle with substandard connections. This isn't South Korea or Japan, you know.

I'm sure it won't require that badass of a internet connection, my guess is that if you can play online multiplayer games decently with no crazy input lag with your connection you'll probably be fine. I don't think Bungie would make it that inaccessible.