Awoo.

Star Wars

Well, there was actually somebody above your last post who said the following statement: "I have very low expectations for this movie. The prequels were trash, but this makes them look great. This whole movie is just a shameless cash-in" in reaction to seeing that poster. So I interpreted that reaction as judging the whole unreleased film by the single promotional poster.

I wasn't saying that because of the poster. I've felt this way about the movie from day one.

I don't really like the poster either. The composition is boring, Boyega and Ford loo off, Ridley's eyes are weird, don't like the colors and the fact that the weapons are all parallel to each other bothers me. The Special Edition and Prequel posters of his were way better. Hopefully if he makes a theatrical poster, it's better and more in line with those.

To be completely honest, I'm not particularly admiring the design of the poster either, because it gives an impression of a last-minute rush job due to the fact that all 3 characters are standing in pretty much the same pose with pretty much the same grumpy facial expression, as if they're all anxiously waiting for that final photo to be taken so that they could all leave the studio and drive back to their homes and families after a long and exhausting day of filming. 

But I refuse to believe that the effort, or rather the lack of effort, which was done on this poster serves as a precise premonition of the overall quality of the actual film. I base my stubborn opinion on the fact that the release of the film has been delayed from the traditional date in May to a further date which is closer to Christmas, giving the whole crew and staff extra time to ensure that any mistakes and bloopers get noticed and fixed. 

I wasn't saying that because of the poster. I've felt this way about the movie from day one.

I had the same gut feeling about the release of the DOOM movie a decade ago, and it turned out to be correct. That movie sucked because it felt like it was a chapter of a totally different story from a totally different franchise altogether. But I wouldn't go as far as making a general rule that just because my gut feeling about one thing long ago turned out to be correct then all the other gut feelings of everybody else about other things will turn out to be correct. I believe that there's always the chance for everyone to make a mistake and that only time will tell how great or how terrible the movie is once the release happens.

• 2 weeks later...

The Force Awakens' is out a day earlier in the UK and two days earlier in France

Episode VII will now be released on December 17, one day before the sci-fi sequel hits US screens.

Confirmation came via the official Star Wars UK Facebook page via a brief video explaining that there’s exactly 100 days to go.

The UK won’t be the first territory to see The Force Awakens however, with the film releasing in France on December 16.

• 1 month later...

12120132_1041973019187632_21058467039865

New trailer tomorrow during Monday Night Football and online immediately after. Tickets go on sale after it too so hurry on that website get em they gon sell out for sure

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah boi, got my tix for a 7:30 showtime on December 17th! Talk about a primo showing! I am one happy nerd.

The cinematography already looks far, far better than anything Lucas was able to put out after Phantom Menace.

So after watching the new trailer I've got to admit something, I'm not too keen on the cinematography. By itself it's great however it sticks out compared to the rest of the saga, they all had the same kind of tone, even in Episode V, so to have something as dynamic as this seems odd.

I'm still going to see it of course, heck I'm going to an IMAX Midnight Screening! :P

By the way, has anybody heard of the attempt to boycott this movie because apparently, having a black guy in the lead role is promoting white genocide? Lol.

http://www.court-records.net/animation/godot-sniff.gifMMMMM, those salty tears taste good.

Ignoring how humorous their reactions will probably be when this movie still sells gangbusters, I can't help but be amused that they're not even aware of the hypocracy surrounding this silly little crusade of theirs is. Are we honestly going to forget who played Darth Vader of all people, or are they really that mad that the likes of us are finally getting the hero seat in one of the biggest movie franchises known to mankind?

• Thumbs Up 1

By the way, has anybody heard of the attempt to boycott this movie because apparently, having a black guy in the lead role is promoting white genocide? Lol.

I really feel like I should be surprised, but I've seen enough stupidity on the internet to be phased by this...

Anyways, That was one hell of a trailer! Keeps looking better and better every time a new one comes out. I haven't asked my dad if he's bought tickets yet... It's kind of become a tradition to watch star wars movies with him on the first day... I'd be kinda surprised if he didn't buy them sometime soon, considering how much of a Star Wars nerd he is.

Either way, there's no way we're gonna miss out on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, the Trailer and poster concern me. Both have Luke completely absent. Odd. Very Odd.

Also, I'm concerned about Han Solo's dialogue, convincing the two young protagonists that 'the stories are real.' .....stories? The events of Star Wars are (in-universe) history; blowing up both Death Stars and liberating Coruscant from the Empire. That was history. Are you telling me that by the time of the story in episode VII, history has already become legend and myth? Why??

This would be akin to forgetting the American Revolution or a World War.

If the characters are as ignorant about the past as the trailer claims, then...well, I've always considered Star Trek to be better anyway. At least, I'll still have fun with the expanded universe and video games, where characters are not blatantly ignorant of history.

Oh, and one more point, part of the trailer shows the young female protagonist walking on a desert planet....Please don't tell me she grows up there. Anakin grew up in  desert; Luke grew up in a desert, on the same planet no-less. If this young lady follows the same pattern, it will be beyond silly. Out of all the thousands of planets in the republic/empire, does the force (and stories) have to revolve around so much around Tatooine and deserts?

Edit: Yep, don't like the trailer. Solo saying 'the Jedi are real.' Of course, they are real. I know the movie will be greatly different from the EU, but if in this movie's storyline, Luke has been so remarkably absent that people question if the Jedi are real....

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Luke has gone from a Jedi Master (Grand Jedi Master no less) to possibly a hermit so invisible that people are not sure that the Jedi are real.

And even if Luke is a hermit, have not people learned from schools about the Jedi Temple? How there were thousands of Jedi before the Jedi purge?

Edit again: Okay, I've spotted Luke. Cleverly hidden.

Yep, the movie will probably have its good moments, but from what I've seen, I am very much not liking the direction this movie is going. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

At least the music is rather compelling.

Edited by DarkDefeater

I don't think the poster looks too terrible, however it didn't seem too striking to me either. But, I'll go see the movie just to know if it was really worth all of this hype.

Edited by Omega Pipe

I'm concerned about Han Solo's dialogue, convincing the two young protagonists that 'the stories are real.' .....stories? The events of Star Wars are (in-universe) history; blowing up both Death Stars and liberating Coruscant from the Empire. That was history. Are you telling me that by the time of the story in episode VII, history has already become legend and myth? Why??

Perhaps by saying "stories" he was actually referring to the ability of the Jedi to use telekinesis and mind-control? It isn't so difficult for me to imagine how such powers and actions would have gradually transformed from real evidence into urban legends due to the Jedi having been purged and the Force having been completely dormant for several decades.

Just because someone mentions "stories" while talking about real historical events doesn't necessarily mean that they're being ignorant. On the contrary it might actually mean that they have a curiosity and a thirst for further knowledge which hasn't been proven... For example, we are all aware of the fact that Hitler and the Nazis were real because we have proof of that. But do we have proof of the story that Nazis built a secret outpost on the Moon? Do we have proof of what really happened to Hitler's body when he died? Do we have absolute proof of whether he escaped to Argentina or the USA? Those are all "stories", and people question about them being real. And there's nothing wrong with this. It's human nature.

So, from my perspective, the characters in the trailer are just being healthy curious youngsters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Understood. From what I have interpreted so far in episode VII, instead of immediately taking their rightful place in the galaxy as soon as the Empire collapses, Luke goes into exile and it takes 30 or so years for the Jedi and force users to become active again, to 'awaken.'

I was expecting something at least slightly closer to the now non-canon EU, where almost everyone knew about the jedi and had no doubt that the force users could use telekinesis. 10 years after the Battle of Endor, the new jedi order received countless requests from all over the galaxy. Knowing about the force was as common as us knowing that police officers have tasers.

I feel that the episode VII story makes the concept of 'return of the jedi' well...it seems to be a lackluster return now. A powerful force user emerges when the empire falls...only to go into hiding. I wonder why this is. Does Luke fear falling to the dark side so much that he decides exile is the best option?

Perhaps he does have a point; throughout Star Wars history, Dark Side users have really made a mess of things more than once.

I'm sure the movie will be great and compelling, but what I may eventually be doing is accepting the EU as my headcanon, just like I have a headcanon for 'The Old Republic.'

Edited by DarkDefeater

Does Luke fear falling to the dark side so much that he decides exile is the best option?

If that's the case then it would feel like a major rip-off of the Kyle Katarn storyline from the game Jedi Outcast. I don't even know what concrete opinion to form about such a development because it gives me mixed feelings.

The only thing that is certain at this point is that the people who made these trailers have done a great job of getting everyone hyped and excited with too many unanswered questions, practically guaranteeing that almost everyone will buy tickets just to get all the answers even if some of those answers will be disappointing.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll admit, I'm a little sad they had to ditch the expanded universe, though I understand completely why it had to be done. I do feel a bit of a disconnect from being hyped for the film, but I'll be walking in to this movie with an open mind.

Part of me feels it's a bit unnecessary for being made at all, but as long as it manages to capture some of the magic and creativity of the original trilogy, I'll be ecstatic. First Star Wars movie I'll be seeing in the theater since The Clone Wars, and I know it'll be a better experience than that at least. :P  

I just started Rebels this morning, thinking to start episode 4 during this month. first time watching an 3D star Wars shows and its very god good. can't wait to keep it up with this.

My speculation for the movie's basic plot. SPOLIERS

The main villain with the funky saber is Han and Leia's son. That's why they seem so heartbroken in that one scene. This son, who is Luke's nephew, obviously  goes to the dark side, despite training from Luke, and then beings to idolize his grandfather Anakin/Darth Vader.

Feeling like he's failed, Luke goes into exile.

....I really hope I'm wrong in this.

I'm pretty sure the reason Luke went into exile will be told in the film. Hence all of these teases.

It's also possible that the New Jedi Order gets obliterated, hence Luke going into exile. He feels he's failed and can't do any good in the universe.

Oh yeah, hello Star Wars thread again. How have I not visited since Celebration ended?

As for the trailer, a lot of character which reveals very little story. How a good trailer should be done.