Awoo.

SEGA OF AMERICA Debuts Hot Wheels Promotion

Autosaver

SAN FRANCISCO – December 10, 2012–SEGA® of America Inc., Mattel, Inc. and the iconic Hot Wheels® brand have developed a unique partnership to further enhance the racing experience of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Available exclusively at GameStop, fans who purchase the game for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Wii™ U system from Nintendo, will receive a limited edition diecast “Danicar” free. The exclusive gift with purchase promotion will begin on December 9 and will continue while supplies last at the more than 4,400 GameStop locations nationwide and online at www.GameStop.com.

This promotion builds upon the in-game presence of NASCAR racer Danica Patrick, who races a custom transforming electric green Hot Wheels® vehicle, designed to navigate the dynamic land, sea and air environments. The unique vehicle combines style elements from Danica Patrick and Sonic the Hedgehog with design inspiration from Hot Wheels®.

“We are so excited to be able to reward gamers who purchase Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed with a free diecast ‘Danicar’,” commented Marcella Churchill, Senior Director of Marketing, SEGA of America. “Through this partnership with Hot Wheels, SEGA was able to extend our brand beyond the game universe and into consumer products with the creation of this custom toy.”

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is a thrilling new racing experience featuring Sonic the Hedgehog, Danica Patrick, Disney’s Wreck-It Ralph and a fantastic cast of SEGA All-Stars. The racing adventure allows players to race through land, air and water in the new dynamic tracks inspired by classic SEGA video games.

I'm actually a little bit pissed because people who preordered the game get.. nothing, while people who decide to wait get a nice little bonus. But it is just a car, so it really isn't worth getting upset over.

But yeah, I guess the promotion is starting now.

Funny thing is, the "fans" they're talking about bought the game back in November. So clearly, the Hot Wheels car isn't for the fans.

• Thumbs Up 3

If only they sold the car to people that ask to buy it. If only. ;A;

I guess this is good news for the people that wanted the game as a Christmas present. They never had known they'd also be getting a stocking stuffer outta this as well.

Edited by Coral

Bull

Shit

For goodness sake, SEGA. You don't launch a new promotion for a game mere weeks after it hits the market. Especially after you disappoint all your fans after announcing the promotion log before release. I really want this car, but piss off.

• Thumbs Up 6

Would have been nice to have the 3DS version out now, so at least there would be more than one new version of the game releasing with the diecast car.

After the console versions released, sans car, I was hoping the car would be a handheld freebie. :P

But yeah, this is a total goof on SEGA's part. I imagine all the people getting the car could care less about it, or stuck it on ebay already to get some money from the fans who missed out on it.

Can the promotion for this game get anymore pathetic?

This is the... what... day 20 pre-order bonus?

I'd love to have the car and would have tried to find a way to get one, then again I can't even find much luck with asking people on here to buy and ship over stuff for me lately.

This line in particular really annoys me.

"We are so excited to be able to reward gamers who purchase Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed with a free diecast ‘Danicar’,” commented Marcella Churchill, Senior Director of Marketing, SEGA of America."

Well Marcella Churchill Senior Director of Marketing.... I ALREADY OWN THE GAME!? Should I expect the car to appear on my drive at some point?

Edit: Also where did this press release come from? I've looked on the Sega press vault and it's not there?

• Thumbs Up 4

So uh, it would have been nice to get my goofy little hot wheels car when I actually bought the game at the Wii U launch. For god's sake, SEGA, you have the worst marketing team in existence.

• Thumbs Up 1

They probably wrote it up moments after my SEGAbits article happy.png Kidding, but it is funny how all of a sudden they release a little statement.

But really, I agree Hogfather, this was a sloppy release. At least, in terms of the Hot Wheels promo. Over at gaming sites reporting on this, comments sections are filled with people who act like they don't even want the car. rolleyes.gif

So uh, it would have been nice to get my goofy little hot wheels car when I actually bought the game at the Wii U launch. For god's sake, SEGA, you have the worst marketing team in existence.

Agreed. I feel stupid for complaining about a little toy, and to be honest I'm okay with not having it, but it would have been nice to have it!

Edited by Barry the Nomad

You have no idea how much I just want to throw the marketing team off a cliff. Not because of the car, but because of how piss poor they are at their job! I mean seriously Sega what were you thinking when you made this announcement?"Hey the fans that already bought the game will buy it again!" Yeah no. This seriously seems like you took a cue from Capcoms troll book.

Because Autosaver doesn't seem to like links or has forgot it, here's one:

http://www.gonintend...story&id=192592

Looks like SEGA of America sent this one out to press in the US. If they post it on their blogs, they're going to have a shitstorm in the comments.

Looks like SEGA of America sent this one out to press in the US. If they post it on their blogs, they're going to have a shitstorm in the comments.

If they view our site... I imagine they're about to see a shitstorm of comments. =p

One thing I'm confused about. Hasn't the Hot Wheels car been in production for a while now? It was posted in the "How was the promotion" thread a week ago, and I could have sworn I saw it quite a while before that. Why only announce it as a pack in now? There has to be some reason besides "because Sega".

Edited by Tornado

One thing I'm confused about. Hasn't the Hot Wheels car been in production for a while now? It was posted in the "How was the promotion" thread a week ago, and I could have sworn I saw it quite a while before that. Why only announce it as a pack in NOW? There has to be some reason besides "because Sega".

First announced on October 10th... which was my birthday as it happened... I feel more sad now... =(

Edit:

Call me crazy but... can you not do this.

Go to Gamestop.

Buy ASRT

Get free toy.

Walk out of the store.

Imediately go back in

Trade the game back for the full ammount you paid.

Keep toy car?

Call me crazy but... can you not do this.

Go to Gamestop.

Buy ASRT

Get free toy.

Walk out of the store.

Imediately go back in

Trade the game back for the full ammount you paid.

Keep toy car?

Honestly, that sounds like a lot of work just for a Hot Wheels toy. x'o But It's an option for the most dedicated I guess.

News'd.

Some of you got quoted on the Sonic Stadium... you're famous! Hooray!

Just really annoyed about this, whilst it would have been hard for me to get one being an EU resident, at least I would have had a lot of time to try and find someone to get a copy for me instead of looking like crazy before they all run out.

Also if anyone does decide to try my idea, (preferably 2!) and ye shall be rewarded!

• Thumbs Up 4

News'd.

Some of you got quoted on the Sonic Stadium... you're famous! Hooray!

You quoted my typo <3

I'm going to keep my eye on eBay and hope one of these pops up for a decent price. It sometimes happens.

Fixed it.

I'm... not going to bother with ebay... least not for a long time yet. Getting a bit sick of ebay when it comes to Sonic merch. Theres just too many re-sellers inflating prices. Sick of going for stuff and paying 3 times what it's worth.

I'm not famous. sad.png

But seriously, not only is this well after launch but...isn't this also only exclusive to North America too? I thought Europeans were supposed to get the Danicar too but, maybe I'm wrong.

Fixed it.

I'm... not going to bother with ebay... least not for a long time yet. Getting a bit sick of ebay when it comes to Sonic merch. Theres just too many re-sellers inflating prices. Sick of going for stuff and paying 3 times what it's worth.

Absolutely. But there's no harm in keeping your eyes open for a BIN that's reasonable. Not that's the chances are high, but I'll let you know if there's anything of interest at least.

Well, if you bought the game at a GameStop earlier, why not just bring them the receipt and ask for the car?

Well.. it's really no surprise at all that SEGA's marketing is terrible, this is the company who can't get big sales even with digital distribution and has been losing more and more money in their gaming publishing business as a result.

While I'm not fussed about Danica, or the Hot Wheels car, I can certainly see why this has people miffed, it's just plain bad product and market planning, I don't think it'll make a big sales difference at all, at the wrong time too.

PS. "Danicar" sounds funnier in an English accent because it sounds more like "Danica"

Edited by SuperLink