Awoo.

The Snow Topic

Chaos Warp

The snow looks like so much fun! I've never had memories of seeing snow because it just doesn't happen in the south where I live. Right now it feels like a slightly cool autumn with a mild breeze. Nice weather sure, but it's no winter. On the off chance it tries to snow, there's faint flakes that slowly float to the ground and then melt on the spot. If anything, I've only seen some icicles around here on some of the coldest days which was rather nice.

I did see some snow when I travelled up north recently to see a concert though. Snow everywhere! I was like a kid first visiting the beach, looking backwards at my footprints in the ground. I made my first snow angel and mini snowman that day. It was great! X}

Having lived in the Northeast US for pretty much all of my life, I find snow somewhat overrated at this point. Sure, it's very pretty to look at (when it's just fallen and it's not a slushy, gray mess) and you can get classes cancelled, but cleaning it off your cars and shoveling the driveway is not always fun to do.

There's also the danger in driving through it, which isn't too pleasant either. And the slush that eventually forms is just a right pain in the ass, especially if you have to walk everywhere like I had to in college. The worst part is the ice that forms as a result of snow, though.

I do have many fond memories of snow during childhood, though. Having school cancelled, getting to stay in and play video games, and eventually going outside to go sledding and have snowball fights was awesome. I guess as you grow older, at least for me, snow starts to lose its luster. tongue.png

Edited by D-Metal X-mas
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've actually never seen snow before. Having lived in Florida all my life and not traveling to many places during winter time besides maybe Disney World, I can't say I have ever been anywhere that it's been cold enough to start snowing. It is definitely something I'd really like to see, though.

Hooray! Last night Toronto and its surrounding suburbs/outskirts have finally experienced their first authentic blizzard of the current winter season. The only downsides were that I finally touched the shovel for the first time in like 10-and-a-half months, and that I had a fever while doing the plowing job (which resulted in it getting done in twice as much amount of time as it normally would have taken).

But asides from this, the streets look beautiful and I'm in a good mood. I hope it doesn't melt away too fast, because if it melts too fast and then falls from the sky from scratch then I'll need to do the shoveling again.

Yeah, I really hope it stays for at least a week or two. All neatly plowed to the sides into big mountains. LOL

We got quite a good snowfall in Texas on Christmas day. It was awesome to have a white christmas for once. Let's enjoy it with some fitting music 

Edited by Derpy the Snowmare

We got a couple of inches of snow from Euclid. Why the hell are they naming regular storms now? Naming hurricanes and typhoons was one of the things that psychologically separated them from other weather events, and now we've got a mediocre snowstorm warranting a name? Fuck sake, Weather Service, get a grip. Anyway, at least we got some pretty pictures out of it, even if we didn't get half as much snow as I'd have liked.

F5KAIl.jpg

Upm3Gl.jpg

mxmiel.jpg

God damn weather. I want my lotsoffeetofsnow.

Woke up to a blanket of snow. wub.png The view from our bedroom is so pretty:

ZN7EHl.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I've always loved snow. I've lived in a relatively cold and snowy climate all my life, and snow has always been my favorite part of Winter. I remember making big snow forts in my driveway, playing on big hills of snow in the yard at school, snowball fights, snow angels, everything. Every year we go skiing in Vermont, and I love to ski. I have a lot of fond memories of snow. I don't go out much to play in it anymore, but I love to go for walks in the snow because I have so much more energy when it's cold (funny how that works, eh?) and I just think it's beautiful. Sometimes, late at night, I look out my window and admire the pinkish glow of the sky on a snowy night.

The snow usually doesn't cause us much trouble in Ottawa. Of course, ice is a problem as it is anywhere else. It can be damn treacherous sometimes, so one needs to be careful when there's ice around! But the city of Ottawa is really good about keeping the streets and sidewalks clear of snow and we haven't had to call in the army to deal with it like some cities (loltoronto). However, the school day yesterday was nice because there weren't many people there due to the snow, so we ended up just chilling (heh) for most of the day biggrin.png

Many of you are probably aware of the snowstorm that swept through most of New England, and is still going on in some areas. Here in Ottawa it was snowing all day and all night. It was snowing when I woke up yesterday at 8AM, and it was still snowing when I went to sleep at around 2 this morning (don't worry, I sleep in on weekends! tongue.png). So this morning I decided to go out for a walk in the snow and take a bunch of photos from around my neighborhood. I have 40 photos (some of them are from yesterday afternoon when I went out while it was still snowing). I'll share some highlights here and also link you to the imgur album if you want to see them all smile.png So here are the highlights (spoiler'd for size):

Removed, sorry sad.png

So there they are. A little taste of what it's like to live in Ottawa in Winter. If you want to see them all, here's the album. I really do love snow smile.png

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 3

I love those pics, the comparison one especially. Very interesting. I saw on the news images of some homes where the snow was piled up to the tops of their door frames!

Oh how I'd love to live in New England... or, ahem, Canada.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

The snow is upon us once more here in Ottawa.

IMG_5507.JPG

EDIT: Here's a picture from after the snowfall:

IMG_5514.JPG

Edited by Frogging101

A slight dusting of snow hit us in Toronto as well, Frogging. (spoilered because huge images)

90er.jpg

1m7x.jpg

We haven't had any sort of snow before December in quite a while, this is cool. 

Indeed, I confirm it. Toronto received the first authentic snowfall of the 2013 winter season yesterday at 10AM.

But it wasn't enough to force me to plough the driveway and get some exercise though. A very thin layer.

I love snow. But living in Texas, I almost never see any. And whenever we do get some, it's usually gone by the afternoon. We might be getting some tommorrow night though. <3

• 3 weeks later...

It's been snowing in Toronto all day long today! I'm really loving it.

I actually had to plow my driveway 2 times and got twice the expected amount of exercise.

Probably for the best anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

Snow is probably one of the few things about Winter that I actually like (that and Christmas). Really inspiring and beautiful to look at.

Bit of a shame that we never get snow in December or at Christmas and always get it in January or Frebruary but hey, it's a day off school if it's substantial enough :P

In my area, it snowed on the second day of May this year. That isn't a joke.

I'm really not that found of snow. Maybe it's because I've always perfered warmth to cold. The less we get this winter, the better. I'll admit, the first time I was told that there were people out there who had never seen snow, I was dumbstruck. I find it funny that people who live in areas that rarely/never get snow want more of it, and people who live in areas with snowfall want less of it!

Snow sucks.I hate it, I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate snow so much. Its pretty when you're looking at it in a picture I guess, but every single year I hope snow never falls after Autumn. Sure the dead plant life scenery isn't the greatest but at least its better than feeling like you climbed into the freezer when you stop outside. It doesn't help that I'm pretty sensitive to temperature and this is the time of year where I get sick the most. I do like the grey sky though, but I don't know why.

>Hates snow with a passion

>Presents own location as Antarctica

lolwut

It snowed this morning. It was apparently forecast, but I wasn't expecting it, so when I looked outside just before going in to work, it was shocking and amazing. Love me some snow. Shame it's all gonna melt come the weekend. :(

I'm not a fan of snow.

Actually, no, that's not true. I like snow, the problem is, we have dogs that live outside. And snow and ice makes a normally very easy chore--feeding the dogs--a lot harder than it needs to be.

Since the snow that's been hitting us hasn't melted much at all, maybe I'll take some pictures tomorrow or something. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally I don't mind snow myself, but that's more attributed to the fact that it occurs rarely where I'm at. Last time it snowed at my level was five years ago give or take, and previous to that was ten years ago.

Anyhow whatever this part of Cali gets is nothing compared to what I've experienced on the East Coast. Got snowed in once in Staten Island where I was staying in NYC, what a mess to shovel a path through the door.

I love snow but I hate everything to do with winter because it's bloody cold. Like, I have to wear special gloves and stuff when I go outside to pick some of it up, and even then my hand goes red and comes down with frostnip. I just see my friends pick up snow with their bear hands and I'm just like 'how the fuck do you even do that without feeling any pain'. I've got shit blood circulation in my hands so they're always cold and when they're even colder it hurts so bad.

Never liked touching snow, it's extremely unpleasant and I don't get the fuss with snowball fights. Lovely to look at and it makes winter less depressing (worst time of the year IMO), gonna say. Sledging is also fun.

We had a snowstorm here. Multiple snow storms, in fact. Here's a pic:

Spoiler'd for gap

IMG_5641.JPG

It was around 9-10PM when I took that photo at 0.6s exposure. Skyglow will do that.

I have lived in Spain for 21 years (more specifically in the south, in Cadiz) and I never ever saw a single snow flake. The south of Spain is infamous for being the hottest region of the country, especially during the summer holidays averaging between 35-40°C during the peak of the day. The nearby province my family could go to is Granada: while it's intensely hot there in the summer, the nearby mountains (Sierra Nevada) can provide the province with plentiful of snow during winter, even for skiing. Sad thing is, as much as I ever desired to go there, such a visit never happened...

Until I moved to the United Kingdom.

My first year in South Gloucestershire was definitely a total surprise to me. It wasn't until December 2009 when one morning I woke up and I saw the entire countryside covered in snow. I was ecstatic, it was so strange to see and feel the snow for the very first time, gaze at the beautiful layers of snow covering the pathway and the trees, walk and run over it, roll around it, goof around by throwing snowballs... something I wished to see for almost a quarter of my life, accomplished for real. And in a different country as well, to say the least! =)

When I moved to Plymouth in 2010 to study at the University (been living there for 3 years already), I did see the snow falling once again. Only during that winter though: the later years until today, however, the weather has been quite dodgy when it comes to snow, and even when it does snow, the temperature is not cool enough to form a relative amount of compact snow that lasts for days. That's at least in many places of Devon and Cornwall, from what I remember.

The only cons I can come across is when snow becomes your worst enemy in terms of communications. From my experience, the county of Devon and Cornwall is not used to snow, especially the latter. I remember back on December 2010 when I tried to take a flight from Bristol to Malaga so I could spend Christmas with my family; my journey was supposed to be from Bude to Exeter on the bus, then Exeter to Bristol on the train, and pick up a shuttle bus to the airport. The buses to Exeter were canceled, and even if I made it to Exeter, I would be told there that the services were so disrupted that it only would take me up to Taunton. So all in all, I was stuck in Bude, I lost my flight on that day and without any chance to refund my ticket. Thankfully I could take a plane from Exeter to Malaga the next day after the communications were better, so I made it in the end.

TL;DR, I really like snow. It's one of few wonderful things about winter alongside Christmas, and so far it's a shame we are not getting any in Devon and Cornwall at all. Yet someday it will be very nice to see the snow fall once again. =3

We got quite a good snowfall in Texas on Christmas day. It was awesome to have a white christmas for once. Let's enjoy it with some fitting music 

In my case, I have got this...

Not only it's fitting, but it reminds me of the days I spent playing Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Such a great and fun beat 'em up game... =D

It's an intensely "white Christmas" in the Toronto area. And the flakes just keep falling all day long.

In fact, it's so white that the tree branches are all covered in layers of thick ice! Here are some pics of that:

Image0001_zps51ecdabf.jpg

Image0241_zpse7500ef8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1