Awoo.

Pokemon X & Y (October 2013 on 3DS) - [Now out! Go out and play it already]

Pelly <3's U

It's easy to complain the magic of events was lost when you live in a country where they existed in the first place.

Wi-fi ftw.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do admit that the Mew and Deoxys I travelled 8 hours to obtain felt "magical", but I'm sure, at the time, my mother's car petrol bill that she must have paid after my begging and pleading must have felt really really un-magical.

While the feeling of event Pokémon may have cheapened a bit, it's nice that they're actually possible for people who live outside of big cities in big States or Europe now. I missed out on so many events when I was a kid because of where I lived and it must have been even worse for people in other regions, so idk I can't see it as a bad thing. It's nice that no one is forced to be left out because of a factor they can't control (where they live).

• Thumbs Up 1

Event Pokémon have always been bullshit and you will not convince me otherwise.

There's no reason for the buggers to exist like this anymore. Now back when it was just Mew, it was justifiable - you weren't meant to get it, it was just something thrown in at the last minute that was only known by a few people that suddenly caused Pokémon to become super popular, prompting Game Freak to say "Huh, let's give them out since you an't get it in game, but the data's there, may as well use it". That was why the Mew event existed - no-one, not even the higher-ups at Game Freak themselves, knew it existed, and then they decided to give them out to make them attainable.

But nowadays? They are so very much aware of them - now they make approximately four of them per generation. And it's not like they're DLC Pokémon that they decide to include into a game where they previously didn't exist - they're bloody hard coded onto the cartridge. So there's no reason for them to pretend they don't exist until some arbitrary date when they decide to make it available for an arbitrarily limited time only before promptly proceeding to stop and rarely (if ever) rerelease it during a generation's lifespan beyond following some bullshit, outdated tradition. If they're going to be put onto the cart with the expressed purpose of releasing them separately later, why not just make them available in-game?

Even worse, they often don't release all of the (growing number of) Mythicals during one generation. I'm still pissed that Gen V came and went without ever allowing Mew, Celebi (in this case it's worse since by being released in Gen IV's twilight days it's saying "weren't here earlier? Screw you for deciding to skip a generation or two!"), Jirachi, Manaphy and Shaymin into the UK.

And I know this is 2014, but Wi-Fi doesn't exactly make it any less bullshit if you happen to live in an area with crappy/no internet.

TL;DR: Event Pokémon have no reason to be restricted to events nowadays beyond following a naff tradition without actually fully recreating the reasons for why it was (something not meant to be gotten that everyone found out about vs. something intentionally made to be released separately later) in the first place. And having typed this, I've realised something - Pokémon was practically doing on-disk DLC before it was a thing. And no, it being free means squat when it's put in a month-long window of availability.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's really annoying me is these irrelevant moves these event Pokemon do.

Wow? The Pokemon Bank Celebi has Hold Back? Which is literally the exact same thing as False Swipe. Down to its effect, PP, and typing.

The Eevee event back in 2013 gives you Celebrate, which does absolutely nothing but congratulate the player.

And now we have Hold Hands, which, again, does nothing.

Got a Modest Compound-Eyes one and it only took 3 resets. Nice.

Yeah, same here. Also knew HP Fighting which is nice.

I'm really glad that Event Pokemon can now be given through Wi Fi, because before that not only did you have to travel miles to get some special Pokemon which was probably not worth it anyway (weak stats etc) but most of these Pokemon never saw a release in Europe or even the US! This is why during Gen 4 and 5 I missed out on so many different Pokemon.

So thank God for Wi Fi, and I will get that Vivillon asap.

Event Pokémon have always been bullshit and you will not convince me otherwise.

There's no reason for the buggers to exist like this anymore. Now back when it was just Mew, it was justifiable - you weren't meant to get it, it was just something thrown in at the last minute that was only known by a few people that suddenly caused Pokémon to become super popular, prompting Game Freak to say "Huh, let's give them out since you an't get it in game, but the data's there, may as well use it". That was why the Mew event existed - no-one, not even the higher-ups at Game Freak themselves, knew it existed, and then they decided to give them out to make them attainable.

But nowadays? They are so very much aware of them - now they make approximately four of them per generation. And it's not like they're DLC Pokémon that they decide to include into a game where they previously didn't exist - they're bloody hard coded onto the cartridge. So there's no reason for them to pretend they don't exist until some arbitrary date when they decide to make it available for an arbitrarily limited time only before promptly proceeding to stop and rarely (if ever) rerelease it during a generation's lifespan beyond following some bullshit, outdated tradition. If they're going to be put onto the cart with the expressed purpose of releasing them separately later, why not just make them available in-game?

Even worse, they often don't release all of the (growing number of) Mythicals during one generation. I'm still pissed that Gen V came and went without ever allowing Mew, Celebi (in this case it's worse since by being released in Gen IV's twilight days it's saying "weren't here earlier? Screw you for deciding to skip a generation or two!"), Jirachi, Manaphy and Shaymin into the UK.

And I know this is 2014, but Wi-Fi doesn't exactly make it any less bullshit if you happen to live in an area with crappy/no internet.

TL;DR: Event Pokémon have no reason to be restricted to events nowadays beyond following a naff tradition without actually fully recreating the reasons for why it was (something not meant to be gotten that everyone found out about vs. something intentionally made to be released separately later) in the first place. And having typed this, I've realised something - Pokémon was practically doing on-disk DLC before it was a thing. And no, it being free means squat when it's put in a month-long window of availability.

I have to agree with this, if they're going to make it so accessible they might as well just put it in the game to begin with.

But then you have cases like these Vivillion they keep making where these models that might not have even existed in-game beforehand.

I also wondered if they should be in game, I'm ok with how they are now but.

If they were in game, I'd really like if they were really hard to get or find. Like legitimately extremely well hidden. I know the unlock method would be leaked online within days, but still make it rewarding to get or find. Make some super secret cave for it. A super secret cave in a super secret route.

Like the Nature Preserve from BW2 or something. Infact yeah, just like that. I'd love to find really rare and important legies in places like that.

5% chance to find it in a single patch of grass that changes every hour

And People would still go out of their way to get that shit too.

You bet I would. I caught a wild Dragonite in BW2, I caught ~20 shinies in XY, and Feebas is nothing.

I fuckin got this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen a video of a guy who played 4 different gameboys at the same time to get a shiny ponyta.

So yeah, I don't doubt it.

What really pisses me off about the event legendaries is now you just get them. No item for a secret place, no extra music, nothing. Sure, Arceus was unavailable to get in-game because of this, but I loved the idea of actually making you catch it and having their own mythos.

• Thumbs Up 6

What really pisses me off about the event legendaries is now you just get them. No item for a secret place, no extra music, nothing. Sure, Arceus was unavailable to get in-game because of this, but I loved the idea of actually making you catch it and having their own mythos.

That's absolutely what bugs me most about the way event legies are done nowadays. I ranted about this on Tumblr a while back, but I seriously miss the way they did event legies in gens 3 and especially 4, where you had little ingame events and sometimes special battle music. Wow that made them feel special, and way more mysterious. Like you had a hand in their part in the story, rather than just being randomly given one..

I feel like the majority of Gen5 legies were ruined or nowhere near as special as they could be because of this, especially Genesect. Cool design, apparently genetically altered from how it used to be as a weapon. Ok, where do we see any of this interesting stuff though? No one at Plasma even mentions it. What a wasted opportunity v_v I really hope the Gen6 event legies are better.

That's absolutely what bugs me most about the way event legies are done nowadays. I ranted about this on Tumblr a while back, but I seriously miss the way they did event legies in gens 3 and especially 4, where you had little ingame events and sometimes special battle music. Wow that made them feel special, and way more mysterious. Like you had a hand in their part in the story, rather than just being randomly given one..

I feel like the majority of Gen5 legies were ruined or nowhere near as special as they could be because of this, especially Genesect. Cool design, apparently genetically altered from how it used to be as a weapon. Ok, where do we see any of this interesting stuff though? No one at Plasma even mentions it. What a wasted opportunity v_v I really hope the Gen6 event legies are better.

Nope. Diance just gives you an extra little scene in a Pokemon Center. That's it.

Nope. Diance just gives you an extra little scene in a Pokemon Center. That's it.

W-well maybe Hoopa and Volcanion.. ;-;

Oh yeah, another reason about why Event Legendaries are bullshit: the fact that nowadays they're not given your OT, but some "special" one.

So really it's not your legendary, it's just something Nintendo gave you as if it were on loan or something, not something you earned as your own.

Oh yeah, that's true! I remember finding videos online of the Shaymin event years ago, and how you had to find and catch it in a field of flowers. I always wondered if Gen 5 ever did this again. Then I found out no, because I got Genesect in BW2 and Keldeo in BW and both were handed to me on a silver platter. No neat little backstory, no catching skills involved, you just get it.

Really lessens the impact of receiving your very own special Pokemon, not to mention makes the Pokemon a lot less interesting because there's no cool backstory given unless you read its Pokedex entry. >>

• Thumbs Up 1

No matter what they do with the event legends, I do not want them to ever again be restricted to Gamestop. And for that matter, I wish they'd stop having region/area/store exclusive events. It's like they are intentionally making it as convoluted as possible for people to collect everything. Not only did you basically have to get both versions of every game (otherwise trade with a friend/family member who had the other), but you had to live close to specific events and stores, not to mention be available to go to them on specific dates at specific times. Plus they keep introducing stranger and more tedious ways to evolve Pokemon.

Then again, I am one of the people who opposes the idea of there even being more than one version, as I consider it an archaic concept to force someone to buy essentially the same game twice to get all of the content. It's like a more expensive and more annoying form of DLC, but it's physical (although as of X and Y, you can go for a digital with the first and/or second version). Of course, this trend won't ever stop, and I've had to accept that, because as long as it sells, it'll keep happening. And Pokemon seems to only show signs of growing more- not that I'm complaining, because the positives of how the series mechanics have improved have more than made it up to me enough in order for me to justify getting the new installments.

I just only ever get one version of each generation anymore. lol My twin bro usually gets the other version, anyways.

So I decided to blow some of my birthday cash on a 2DS with Pokémon Y pre-installed on it over the weekend (I also picked up Bravely Default because I wanted something new/different, but I haven't touched it yet). Holy cow I forget how much like crack a new Pokémon game is to me, but I'm really enjoying what Kalos has to offer so far (20 hours in, six badges).

I personally like that just about every generation to date is represented in one form or another in the game, so I can pick and choose as I'm building my party and I'm even trying out Pokémon I've never raised before (just got a Toxicroak) and rotating my team pretty regularly. I haven't turned off the updated Exp. Share since I got it. While I was bothered they went back to the RBY days of it splitting experience amongst your whole team (making it a very, very slow burn that wasn't worth the trouble), I think the way experience is earned in the game makes it much easier and more useful than it was back in Generation I. I've managed to keep most of my Pokémon in a pretty similar range thanks to it, right now the ones I've been using the most are in the high 30s to mid 40s.

The region from what I've seen so far looks like it has a lot going on. Hopefully it doesn't get dull like Unova did in its post-game (though B2W2 sorta fixed the post game issues BW had). I'm having fun exploring the towns and even trying out the goofy little additions like the salon and boutiques, which add a little bit of customization to the player character. I have no idea how to get into the boutique in Lumiose City though, they keep booting me out! Speaking of Lumiose City... how the hell does anybody find anything in this city? I did a lot of running around and would sometimes just find places I'm supposed to go by dumb luck or because I had to use the cab. The camera as it is doesn't make it any easier, but the sheer size and lack of a map or compass makes it frustrating (did nobody at Game Freak thought this might be a good use for the second screen?).

I'm really impressed with the music in this game too. In a way, it sounds different from previous Pokémon games. Did they get a new composer? It has a very different vibe and I quite dig it.

All in all, I'm really liking the game so far, and knowing I've burned through a good chunk of it in just a couple days bums me out, but I should probably put it down and do some work...

Out of curiosity, I'd hate to be that guy, but would anybody happen to have a spare Speed Boost Torchic (or perhaps it could be bred?) from the giveaway they did when the game was released? Or is it possible to send the event through Mystery Gift? Well, barring that, I caught a Haunter outside of Laverre City I want to raise and was hoping to turn into a Gengar since I found Gengar's Mega Stone, so if somebody wouldn't mind a quick back and forth trade, I'd appreciate it (I'll have to look up my friend code).

Espurr was kind enough to hook me up, so disregard that last bit.

Edited by Zaysho

I do believe I might be able to help with that Torchic. I do have some breeded with Speed Boost. 

I do believe I might be able to help with that Torchic. I do have some breeded with Speed Boost.

Oh, really? If you can spare one, that'd be great! Only downside is that I don't think I have anything that'd be a fair trade, unless you'd want to work something else out...

There's no point to it, Mega Blaziken has Speed Boost naturally.

Ah, I didn't know that, but I'm not expecting anybody to have a spare Mega Stone for it. Wasn't that part of the giveaway? Or is it possible to find it in-game somehow?

Ah, I didn't know that, but I'm not expecting anybody to have a spare Mega Stone for it. Wasn't that part of the giveaway? Or is it possible to find it in-game somehow?

Only way to get it at this point is to get Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire and start with Torchic.