Awoo.

What Was Your Favorite Part About Sonic 06?

Tamaki Kawazoe <3

SU was a complete and utter bore for me too. We only get two styles of gameplay and the one lame story. Sonic turning into a Werehog, Chip is a God, Eggman tries to conqer the world, DG gets rid of him, Sonic goes back to normal and saves the day as Super Sonic. Same old story. It's much more interesting when you get to juggle storylines and gameplay. Like Sonic Heroes for example. Basically the same gameplay, but had more story and characters and was more fun and interesting.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Tamaki Kawazoe <3

• Indigo Rush

• CrownSlayers Shadow

The more characters the better? That's a new one... Sonic Heroes' story was incredibly simple, and is definitely best compared to that of Sonic 1 or 2's. That said, that's not a bad thing, and I didn't like Unleashed's story either. The daytime stages however were great, and the cutscenes were lighthearted and full of humour, which is something Sonic definitely needed more of. He's not an angsty superhero, he's a carefree blue hedgehog with an attitude!

Ok, I know, I know. You are probably all wondering"Why the heck is this guy asking this?!"Well, there were some GOOD parts about 06 to me. I am sure there was at least one thing you guys like about it too despite it being bad-decent. I myself personally liked Sonic 06, heck I still PLAY 06 despite other good Sonic games I have. Anyways onto the question, what was your favorite part in Sonic 06? Personally mine was the music and I also like playing through Crisis City with Sonic, it is actually a challenge cheap or not. I personally found that level having the best difficulty of all Sonic levels out there.

Discuss!

I love crisis city it definatly hard to get an S rank on it. Im probally the only person to say this but sonic 06 was the game that really made me a fan boy!

Indigo Rush:

With all due respect, but I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say I'm probably one of the biggest music enthusiasts here. With that said, I still wouldn't question someone else's taste in music, ever. It just didn't appeal to him, simple as that.

As far as calling it 'utter shit' goes, I think he might have slightly overstated his feelings. Well, even if he didn't, it's still his opinion. Maybe a little drastic, but still.

Edited by Blash

Why? Back your statement up, otherwise music enthusiasts such as myself will tear you to shreds for calling one of the biggest and successful efforts to add a taste of every culture around the world, along with the inclusion of a famous band aside from Crush 40, and the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra in a Sonic game "complete and utter shit."
You say that as if other 3d Sonic games don't have cultural music. And I think that reason he doens't like the music is because the quality is seriously lacking in depth. Despite the music in Unleashed being composed by the same group that composed 06, I find their work in 06 to be much more memorable, and epic. This is what happens when they make sonic overly childish.... the music suffers too and loses its charm the series is known for.

With all due respect, but I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say I'm probably one of the biggest music enthusiasts here.

Grab that title with all due respect if you want. ^_^ I'm one of them though, so don't forget that! :P

You say that as if other 3d Sonic games don't have cultural music.

I never claimed the other games didn't have any, I was defending the fact that Unleashed did have that sort of music. :huh:

And I think that reason he doens't like the music is because the quality is seriously lacking in depth. Despite the music in Unleashed being composed by the same group that composed 06, I find their work in 06 to be much more memorable, and epic.

Let him defend his own points. Also, a different composition group composed the orchestral interludes for Sonic 2006. If you found 06 to be more epic, that's your opinion. I found it to be good as well. Never have I stated that Sonic 2006 had bad music. I enjoy it over many other game soundtracks. :o

This is what happens when they make sonic overly childish.... the music suffers too and loses its charm the series is known for.

You feel the music is less than it is because it's childish? I fail to see any childish overtones in any of the music. It's set to a point that anyone can enjoy it. If you think this music is childish, then stay away from other parts of the world, because that's what this music is. It doesn't have to be edgy and epic to be good. ;)

Edited by Indigo Rush

I fucking love the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. It's the first time such a huge effort has gone into the soundtrack for a Sonic game IMO, and it was really different.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved Kingdom Valley and Crisis City's tracks too, but the rest of the stages, especially the snowy base level (name escapes me) Aquatic Base, and Jungle, have really meh music.

So please don't insult Unleashed's music like that, or I'm afraid I'll have to insult 06's music back.

Also, a different composition group composed the orchestral interludes for Sonic 2006.
no, no, I meant the in-game music.

You feel the music is less than it is because it's childish? I fail to see any childish overtones in any of the music. It's set to a point that anyone can enjoy it. If you think this music is childish, then stay away from other parts of the world, because that's what this music is. It doesn't have to be edgy and epic to be good.
Sure it borrows elements from parts of the world, but like I said, there's no depth, and it's way too upbeat. I'm mainly talking about the daytime stages. The nighttime music I found to have depth.

Also in a lot of the sonic games like heros the homing attacks dont work that good cause you can easily miss ur target but in 06 it automaticaly hits a near by target :)

No, no, I meant the in-game music.

Ah, fair enough. :P Although who's to say they can't improve over time?

Sure it borrows elements from parts of the world, but like I said, there's no depth, and it's way too upbeat. I'm mainly talking about the daytime stages. The nighttime music I found to have depth.

Define depth.

Also in a lot of the sonic games like heros the homing attacks dont work that good cause you can easily miss ur target but in 06 it automaticaly hits a near by target :)

I only found that to be an issue in Heroes and Shadow's game. Other than that, it's worked fine for me... 06's homing attack seemed weird to me though. It's not so much a dash in the air as it is hovering very fast.

Hey Indigo, did you see my post? Haha :P

Yeah, I saw it! Doesn't mean I won't waste hours on end defending a game some people on here seem to dislike for silly reasons and derail this topic off the tracks and into the ditch.

...oh.

Sorry.

*scoot, scoot*

Edited by Indigo Rush

The FMV scenes. Especially in HD.

Jaw. On. Floor.

Unleashed had some gorgeous FMV but SONIC '06 has the most detailed FMV's of any Sonic game. The attention to detail is absolutely incredible. Like in the "Sonic and Elise in the Forest" scene. Apple blossom petals falling into the lake and causing photo realistic ripples where they touch the surface of the water, the petals moving extremely realistically in the wind, petals getting caught in the grass around Sonic and Elise's feet, sunbeams streaming through the canopy above them both whilst he's running with her in his arms....it's art. Then there's the intros to Sonic's and Shadow's stories. In Sonic's intro there's the water. And the fireworks. And the lights. Smoke, flames, wind....

For Shadow's intro, there's snowflakes falling from the sky, realistic flames and gunfire, searchlights.

Whoever designed and made those FMV's is an FMV-making master, no doubt about it.

I hardly call blazing fast response times and multiple pathways along with quick dodging and a trick system boring. Unless you want to include the Werehog.

Now I wouldn't call the emphasis on the speed boring, but it just made in bland that that was the only thing being emphasized in the game. I like the ability to run fast, but I also like the ability to do a bunch of cool things while running fast, and for the most part Unleashed was mainly just speed through the level. A lot of the cool stuff you did do was mainly from the QTE.

Of course, all that is my own fault, I kinda set my standards for what I expected from this game a little too high. I wasn't disappointed, I just felt there was more that Sonic could do in the daytime stages. That and I wouldn't go and think that Sonic Team would all of a sudden make a platinum worthy gameplay after making some fuckups on their way to this game. :lol:

The cutscenes in Sonic Next Gen are certainly the most beautiful I've seen yet, and I'll admit because of the detail in 06, since the aim was to be more realistic, is a lot more eye catching than Unleashed.

Then we compare the real-time cutscenes...

929717_20061106_screen009.jpg

They're so glitchy. Sonic's thumb must have the power to phase through objects. Plus, the detail is really blocky.

sonic-unleashed-20081120013159376-000.jpg

You can barely tell that this isn't CG. It's so smooth and detailed it's impossible to find a flaw. No, don't point at Chip, that has nothing to do with graphics.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Define depth.
Music that goes through multiple phases before turning into the final product. There's producing it. How many instruments are in the specific song. Then there's how well the song is mixed and tweeked. Then there's the question of how often does it loop. How well does the song suit the environment or situation. All these factors matter.

Music that goes through multiple phases before turning into the final product. There's producing it. How many instruments are in the specific song. Then there's how well the song is mixed and tweeked. Then there's the question of how often does it loop. How well does the song suit the environment or situation. All these factors matter.

I don't see how Unleashed fails to accomplish any of these.

That's because 06 aims to look realistic, of course the CGI will look better, Unleashed is more cartoony on purpose.

..and because of that you think the CGI cutscenes must be worse?..I suppose even "cartoony CGI"(how can that be?..) may look great. Oh, well, the final CGI cutscenes were a lot better, than the opening! But they are not so loooong! <_< This is stupid..Better if sonicteam did shorter opening like in S06 but with better quality of the background etc..

I don't see a reason CGI cutscenes to be worse if a game is more childish..That's not an exuse.

Yes, as i said before, the real time ones are better in SU. But please, pull off these UGLY AS HELL humans. I'm scared of their appearance.

Edited by ArtFenix

Whoever designed and made those FMV's is an FMV-making master, no doubt about it.
Blur Studio I believe. Get this, they're american. Located in Venice, California. I thought that was really cool. They also did the CG for Shadow's game.

I thought the realtime cutscenes in Sonic 06 were alot worse than Unleashed. The characters barely had any emotions in their face, only body language (which I thought was the only thing that looked pretty good in these cutscenes). So their eyes always looked dead. Oh, and their mouths moved funny aswell. =P

Silver: *mouth moves weird* YOOOU!

Sonic: Ok, you be careful Tails! *mouth still moves*

EDIT: You're talking about the FMV's. Oops. Personally I think Sonic 06 and Unleashed each have brilliantly done FMV cutscenes. Yep, even if they're both created by totally different studios.

Edited by Gabz Girl

Couple of the Sonic stages (Emerald Coast, Crisis City), Shadow's story and the music.

Everything else was extremely meh.

Sonic: Ok, you be careful Tails! *mouth still moves*

That's not the first time that happened, you know. I also seem to recall that happening at some point in Sonic Adventure. It was during the scene on the Egg Carrier, when Amy came to Gamma's defense after Sonic was about to destroy him. He reponded by saying, "Whatever you say, Amy. You must have your reasons", and his mouth was still moving after that.

Couple of the Sonic stages (Emerald Coast, Crisis City), Shadow's story and the music.

You mean Wave Ocean. I can see where you're coming from, though, since the two stages DO look very much alike. In fact, I, along with many other people, thought the same thing before the game was released.

Edited by Scorch

I thought the nonCG animation was pretty bad in 06, but it wasn't as bad as Sonic Adventure's. Sonic's eyes spazed out every time he talked, Perfect Chaos' mouth looked like it'd just eaten a lemon, character's mouths just opened too wide sometimes, and some of the standing animations were completely exaggerated. Why was Eggman lightly humping the air? Why was Sonic always looking like he was ready to pull a Kung Fu move? And Big was completely out of sync with froggy when he was holding him after beating Chaos 6, just to name a few problems. I mean, I know the Dreamcast was an earlier machine, but it had more than decent graphical capabilities for its time. I mean, just look at its CG cutscenes!

Sonic '06's FMV scenes were awful, well, that's a bit of a stretch. The ones that were finished were extremely well done and detailed, but half of them weren't. Sonic and Elise running through the Windows '98 desktop background, Shadow and Silver in that generic base that reused for like, 3 places in the entire game, etc.