Awoo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:: READ POST 11156/PAGE 558

HunterTSF

Hah, funny enough I used GeneralZoi's pony maker to help make Pony Marvin. The helmet I drew myself.

Still in denial.

A twisted, malfunctioning, depressed sort of denial.

What did you think my signature/profile angsting was referring to?

To put things bluntly, this show messed me up. Badly. Not that I was one of those folk that immediately judged it as shallow nonsense, I was merely indifferent at first. Then when I noticed how surprisingly popular it was, I was naturally curious. So I looked at the facts and the memes and all the rest, before finally taking a deep breath and saw it for real. ...Sometime later, when the inevitable realisation hit me, it hit hard. One minute I'm looking at things with a straight face, the next minute I'm curling in the fetal position, ashamed at my failure to resist... it. When you're an 18 year old who suddenly realises exactly what you have just legitimately enjoyed, you can only look at yourself in the mirror, asking... Why? What's wrong with me?

Of course, remembering that I was far from the only one to come across this form of panic, I calmed down a bit. Then again, it also made things worse, because that made me realise that I was too much of a cowardly fellow to admit it. It got to the point in which I felt I needed to say something or else I would burst in frustration, hence the aforementioned signature/profile angsting.

So yeah. That's how my process went. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I feel more relaxed now.

Am I the only person who never felt much apprehension or guilt about this show, even at first? I've always had a fondness for girly things; the only real difference here was that this was a girly thing that was well-written and that I could easily discuss with my internet peers without having to get into a whole new community because it was everywhere. I was more happy than baffled, and I was certainly never disgusted. I had a much bigger problem getting into reading MLP fanfiction than I did getting into the show itself, and even that had less to do with franchise-related shame and more to do with a low tolerance for lousy writing (I've read a grand total of maybe four Sonic fanfics in all my time as a fan, if that tells you anything).

And yes, to those coming in late, I'm of the male persuasion. I suppose I ought to switch that back eventually.

Am I the only person who never felt much apprehension or guilt about this show, even at first? I've always had a fondness for girly things; the only real difference here was that this was a girly thing that was well-written and that I could easily discuss with my internet peers without having to get into a whole new community because it was everywhere. I was more happy than baffled, and I was certainly never disgusted. I had a much bigger problem getting into reading MLP fanfiction than I did getting into the show itself, and even that had less to do with franchise-related shame and more to do with a low tolerance for lousy writing (I've read a grand total of maybe four Sonic fanfics in all my time as a fan, if that tells you anything).

And yes, to those coming in late, I'm of the male persuasion. I suppose I ought to switch that back eventually.

My own shame wasn't so much "Rofl it's for girls", more along the lines of more crazy/rabid faux-emotional confusion and coming to terms with understanding my honest enjoyment... that and the shame of being so effortlessly swayed. I always knew I was an easily pleased person, but I thought I at least had some sort of restriction. But no, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy have to come and fuck me up without breaking a sweat. Confound those ponies.

I suppose the fandom also has a part in it. Seeing all those happy guys (and girls lololol) and their letters is very refreshing and never fails to make me smile like a giddy buffoon.

I don't know if I said this in my introduction to the pony topic, but I never had any trouble with girly things.

Actually, I always thought Sailor Moon was awesome because it was like the Power Rangers but with girls... Okay, maybe it wasn't my brain speaking back then.

Never had any trouble watching things like the Powerpuff Girls, Totally Spies or/and many other anime girl series like... I can't remember the name now but it was about an angel apprentice living with a normal guy and a demon apprentice, girly as hell but I loved every single second of it.

The only reason I was doubtful about MLP is because it was merchandise driven, and because I never had time nor the internet conection to find what was all that fuss about.

And I totally get you in the fanfiction thing,I remember myself hating fanfiction and vowing myself to never get to that side of any fandom and now look at me, I'm making walls of text about pony fanfictions, I've even suggested that a fic would be better with more shipping! SHIPPING!

The Times They Are A-Changin' :lol:

Edited by gato

To be fair, I wouldn't exactly call the Powerpuff Girls a "girly" show. It was 95% violence and double entendres.

Would comment more. Currently reading a ShipFic.

Edited by Tornado

It feels weird to be watching it at first. With the remote in your hand ready to change the channel fast just In case somebody walks in. Once that feeling of "am I really watching this?" goes away and you realize that you cannot resist the allure of the ponies because they're awesome, you just say "fuck it I like this. Problem, officer?" and you find out he's a brony too, and you realize that these confounded ponies are taking over the fucking world!!!!! ...then you realize, it's ok, you're not dead, your dick is still there and despite oppression, you're not a faggot or a pedophile. And all is right with the world :) (lol debt crisis)

• Thumbs Up 1

It feels weird to be watching it at first. With the remote in your hand ready to change the channel fast just In case somebody walks in. Once that feeling of "am I really watching this?" goes away and you realize that you cannot resist the allure of the ponies because they're awesome, you just say "fuck it I like this. Problem, officer?" and you find out he's a brony too, and you realize that these confounded ponies are taking over the fucking world!!!!! ...then you realize, it's ok, you're not dead, your dick is still there and despite oppression, you're not a faggot or a pedophile. And all is right with the world :) (lol debt crisis)

Thankfully I have a ladder rather than a door in my room, so I can get a five-second headstart on pausing the specific pony-related YouTube video and quickly cut to the specific Team Fortress 2-related video instead... hoping that they don't notice that said TF2 video happens to involve MLP as well. Bah.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never felt even the tiniest bit of guilt or weirdness in watching the show. I heard the show was popular, looked it up, saw lots of comments and good things said about it, learned about the people who were making it, marathoned it, loved the hay out of it, brony for life. :)

As I've said before, I definitely felt weird when I first decided to watch it. For 21 years I have regarded My Little Pony as nothing more then a toyline for little girls, nothing more. Finding out that it was popular with grown men was just unexpected and mind blowing. It was like walking into a room and seeing a bunch of men playing with Barbie dolls, you just don't expect it. Now it was obvious that FiM was doing something right for everyone to be liking it, but I was still reluctant to try it out. I was still wondering if this was just a meme that turned into a fad, and I just don't really enjoy modern children's cartoons. But curiosity eventually got the better of me. I watched an episode, and I felt kind of dirty. Another episode, I was in denial. Twenty four episodes later and I'm in tears that I have to actually wait for a new season.

I'm still not about to openly admit in public that I watch My Little Pony though, not unless someone else says it first anyway.

As I've said before, I definitely felt weird when I first decided to watch it. For 21 years I have regarded My Little Pony as nothing more then a toyline for little girls, nothing more. Finding out that it was popular with grown men was just unexpected and mind blowing. It was like walking into a room and seeing a bunch of men playing with Barbie dolls, you just don't expect it. Now it was obvious that FiM was doing something right for everyone to be liking it, but I was still reluctant to try it out. I was still wondering if this was just a meme that turned into a fad, and I just don't really enjoy modern children's cartoons. But curiosity eventually got the better of me. I watched an episode, and I felt kind of dirty. Another episode, I was in denial. Twenty four episodes later and I'm in tears that I have to actually wait for a new season.

I'm still not about to openly admit in public that I watch My Little Pony though, not unless someone else says it first anyway.

Prepare for a mindfuck:

watch?v=2qS5jmm2HPU

watch?v=Vh4w6epyrB4

watch?v=43nKxXvm4Mg

watch?v=mlr2P68DnpI

watch?v=9GP4pA5I9sw

watch?v=kK7aqoIX9ek

These. Guys. Have. BALLS.

Start preparing your speech ;)

Yeah, I don't think I have balls of steel. But I do have eight of them to compensate, just so we're clear.

When it comes to men's balls, I prefer to take quality over quantity.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was definitely one of those people who was super apprehensive about this show- even though I am a girl and I used to watch MLP say back when I was itty bitty. I do have to say though that I have absolutely fell in love with it! I just need to take the time to actually get all the episodes and watch them in order and whatnot.

• Thumbs Up 2

What do you guys think about the possibility of a MLP:FiM movie or video game? It would more than likely be a 1st day watch/buy for me xD

What do you guys think about the possibility of a MLP:FiM movie or video game? It would more than likely be a 1st day watch/buy for me xD

Oh I have definitely given thought to what I would want from a FiM game. I think something revolving around Rainbow Dash's flying would be cool. At the beginning of Sonic Rainboom she's doing a whole bunch of awesome tricks that look like they'd be fun as hell to use in a game. Go to the 1:20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-5JBrMIHx4

Or someone could just release mods for old Sonic games that replaces Sonic with- scratch that, replaces Tails with Rainbow Dash. (I think Tails makes more sense since you could incorporate her flying AND let her team-up with Sonic) But don't go thinking it's just Rainbow Dash that could make an awesome game character, there is potential in just about everything. How about an RPG that lets you choose whether you're a unicorn (MAGIC!), earth pony, or pegasus? Equestria would also make a great setting for a 3D platformer. Ponyville could be the hub world, and then you could have levels like the Everfree (Evertree?) forest, the pegasus cloud city, and that western town. (Most of the names are escaping me right now. Oh well, I think anyone reading this will know the places I'm talking about)

However, the sad truth is that this is a show owned by Hasbro and technically marketed towards little girls. I think a game is inevitable, but the sad truth is that it will probably be a lame mini-game compilation or a slapdash 2D platformer on the DS. Unless they go the extra mile in keeping with the show's spirit and decide to actually have effort put into it so it can appeal to everyone, but somehow I think that's unlikely. I'm not holding my breath for any great official games. But the fandom is definitely worth keeping an eye on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSlnZxvi37s

As for a movie, I'd definitely see it even if I was the only guy in the theater.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh I have definitely given thought to what I would want from a FiM game. I think something revolving around Rainbow Dash's flying would be cool. At the beginning of Sonic Rainboom she's doing a whole bunch of awesome tricks that look like they'd be fun as hell to use in a game. Go to the 1:20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-5JBrMIHx4

Or someone could just release mods for old Sonic games that replaces Sonic with- scratch that, replaces Tails with Rainbow Dash. (I think Tails makes more sense since you could incorporate her flying AND let her team-up with Sonic) But don't go thinking it's just Rainbow Dash that could make an awesome game character, there is potential in just about everything. How about an RPG that lets you choose whether you're a unicorn (MAGIC!), earth pony, or pegasus? Equestria would also make a great setting for a 3D platformer. Ponyville could be the hub world, and then you could have levels like the Everfree (Evertree?) forest, the pegasus cloud city, and that western town. (Most of the names are escaping me right now. Oh well, I think anyone reading this will know the places I'm talking about)

However, the sad truth is that this is a show owned by Hasbro and technically marketed towards little girls. I think a game is inevitable, but the sad truth is that it will probably be a lame mini-game compilation or a slapdash 2D platformer on the DS. Unless they go the extra mile in keeping with the show's spirit and decide to actually have effort put into it so it can appeal to everyone, but somehow I think that's unlikely. I'm not holding my breath for any great official games. But the fandom is definitely worth keeping an eye on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSlnZxvi37s

As for a movie, I'd definitely see it even if I was the only guy in the theater.

The Sonic Rainboom would be awesome to use, I always saw it as like a final smash. Assuming they go the extra mile on the game, if we're talking platformers it could be sort of like S3&K with different takes on platforming for each pony type. Earth ponies(Applejack and Pinkie Pie) could smash though walls and other tough obstacles, Pegasi(Rainbow Dash & Flutter Shy) could fly to higher routes, Think Tails. And Unicorns(Twilight & Rarity) could use their magic to bridge things together or teleport or do other creative possibilities that I'm too tired to think of right now. But I'm overhyping myself. More than likely it really may be some shovelware minigame compilation like Rarity's Dressup Boutique, or Pinkie Pie's Party Planner, etc. That will be for the Wii and DS. I may pick that up if I see it used and have a few extra bucks but end up trading it in within 3 days anyway. Oh well, one can dream :(

For the movie, given the show's popularity and knowledge of the fanbase outside of the internet, I really doubt you'd be the only guy in the theatre. Maybe get a few laughs, but they're survivable

Ya know, I've tried to get into this show but there is just way too much cheese on the episodes scripts. I will admit that this show isn't complete trash, it has good animation and it does have it's moments but it's still just... Mediocre.

Maybe I'm watching the wrong episodes?

Ya know, I've tried to get into this show but there is just way too much cheese on the episodes scripts. I will admit that this show isn't complete trash, it has good animation and it does have it's moments but it's still just... Mediocre.

Ehh, despite what some people say you are also allowed to "not like" the show. xD

p.d: I totally didn't post this just to test the forum.

Maybe… I’m not sure. I started with the first two and kinda went out of order from there. The first couple did start off a bit weird to me but once I got into the real meat of the story I find the characters adorable and loveable. The storylines are cute (and generally aimed at kids, so we can’t expect something too deep). I think it has nice lessons and a fairly engaging plot. Personally, I just love all of the characters, design-wise and personality-wise (except Twilight Sparkle- for some reason she REALLY annoys me).

You should jump straight ahead all the way to the episode "Party of One", since it was voted as the best episode for newcomers, and then go back to watching them in sequential order.

The storylines are cute (and generally aimed at kids, so we can’t expect something too deep). I think it has nice lessons and a fairly engaging plot.
  • Thumbs Up 1