Awoo.

ARTWORK: Scarz' Fanart and Stuff

Chauvel

Hello everyone, Don't mind me I'm just posting my Sonic related fanart here.

I'm away from my scanner and main computer today so I had to use my poor camera on my phone to take these pictures. So please excuse the poor quality of these pics.

It's been a while since I last drew Sonic, with the exception of a couple of really quick doodles here and there. But this is the first time in years I attempted to draw him seriously.

9872869895_96eabcae7d_b.jpg

9872875776_7dd52a4431_b.jpg

Nothing too special, just a pose and a run. I'll probably do more of these just to get used to drawing Sonic and the gang again. 

I'm open for criticism of any kind in regards to my art here. I always have an editor/mentor of some kind critiquing my work  so I'm quite used to it!

Edited by Scarz
  • Thumbs Up 7

Those are pretty good! A small word of advice, though: You could make the body a bit shorter. Especially in the second one. It just looks a little...off.

Other than that, nice work!~

Those are pretty good! A small word of advice, though: You could make the body a bit shorter. Especially in the second one. It just looks a little...off.

Other than that, nice work!~

Thanks! Do you mean his legs or his midsection? I'm certain you mean the latter but I just want to be sure.

Yes, I do mean the midsection. smile.png

Got it!

Here's one of my favorite  Sonic characters, Tails. Again, another simple one.

9872981793_2b9f0878c4_b.jpg

Edited by Scarz
  • Thumbs Up 4

Your style reminds me of what SatAM Sonic would look like with the Adventure design, it's pretty neat.

I checked out your dA a few weeks ago and I love your life drawings, btw.

Your style reminds me of what SatAM Sonic would look like with the Adventure design, it's pretty neat.

I checked out your dA a few weeks ago and I love your life drawings, btw.

Thanks! I'm glad you loved my life drawings, there's plenty more where that came from. As for SatAM and Adventure, I've always really liked those designs. Not surprised if my work kind of reflects it. 

Here's another favorite of mine, Sally Acorn. 

9872872574_c40791b395_b.jpg

Edited by Scarz

So, yeah, my computer is definitely out of commission. So until I fix the problem I'll be using my sketch book and crappy camera phone. 

Here's a sketch of Fiona Fox.

9872874226_f3a406c453_b.jpg

Didn't quite come out the way I wanted it to but maybe I'll get it right next time.

Edited by Scarz

Here's an old pic of Turbo Tails I drew and colored back in 2006. Thought it was still good enough to make an avatar out of it.

9873007805_195ea33fc9_b.jpg

And here's something I whipped up last night: Sonic G.U.N. project. 

9873119673_5d39c33a63_b.jpg

This was heavily inspired by Jay Axer's Sonic art he did back in 2005(?). It sort of gave me an idea of a "what-if" scenario involving G.U.N., Sonic, Knuckles, and Sally. It's just not nearly as crazy detailed like Axer's.

This is just a one page comic that just came to mind. Don't have any plans to elaborate on it or anything. Just did it for fun.

Edited by Scarz

Okay, so the computer is up and running again but the scanner is completely bonkers. It's just not picking up my blue pencils lines like it used to. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix it so I can scan some of the images I posted up here but in higher res.

Anyway, here's a quick pencil sketch of Fiona and Tails:

9872871615_3f5d918743_b.jpg

I scanned in the comic page (since I didn't have an issues with grayscale images) and added some dialogue to make it interesting:

9873054544_61240f902a_b.jpg

I might actually expand on this comic a bit. I don't really have anything planned out though. I not even sure "who" they're supposed to be after. tongue.png

Edited by Scarz
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sometime ago I wanted to start this little project called "3 panel reviews" where I would review a comic in only three panels. It would have very little writing and I just focus on the highlights of the issue. I wanted my first review to be Archie's Sonic #1, since my first comic book I've ever read was a Sonic comic.

It was really fun drawing in the old style of the first comic. I found it to be very nostalgic.

9873072215_ddd30cf8b0_b.jpg

My orginal plan was to review every single Sonic comic to date but I don't know if I should. It's not that I can't do it or I don't have the time to but more of the fact on whether or not it will be entertaining. Perhaps I should still read all of the Sonic comics and just do reviews on those that are interesting in some way or another.

Edited by Scarz
  • Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

I must say, you're pretty good at drawing humans! smile.png

Thanks! Humans are like 95% (if not more) of what I draw most.

I love your style, you make all the characters look super cute, especially Sonic smile.png I'm impressed! 

Thanks! I was worried that my version of Sonic might look a little too cute.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a really quick Sonic animation I created out of boredom.

9872982883_24fca70cbf_o.gif

Your critiques are always welcomed.

Amazing work dude! Good job.

Thanks!

Edited by Scarz
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sometime ago I wanted to start this little project called "3 panel reviews" where I would review a comic in only three panels. It would have very little writing and I just focus on the highlights of the issue. I wanted my first review to be Archie's Sonic #1, since my first comic book I've ever read was a Sonic comic.

It was really fun drawing in the old style of the first comic. I found it to be very nostalgic.

My orginal plan was to review every single Sonic comic to date but I don't know if I should. It's not that I can't do it or I don't have the time to but more of the fact on whether or not it will be entertaining. Perhaps I should still read all of the Sonic comics and just do reviews on those that are interesting in some way or another.

You pull off the old look very well! Can see why it's so nostalgic.

Also yeah that hanging thing... yeesh that was pretty darn dark!

I'd encourage you to go through with the reviews. I think you could have a lot of fun highlighting the interesting or just plain weird moments of Sonic lore. Consider the British comics as well!

Pretty good animation, as well! How long did it take you?

You pull off the old look very well! Can see why it's so nostalgic.

Also yeah that hanging thing... yeesh that was pretty darn dark!

I'd encourage you to go through with the reviews. I think you could have a lot of fun highlighting the interesting or just plain weird moments of Sonic lore. Consider the British comics as well!

Pretty good animation, as well! How long did it take you?

I've read a few issues yesterday and I already have a couple of reviews in mind. I haven't even considered reviewing the British comics (I've never read them). Are they worth the read?

The animation took me about 30 minutes to do. Probably a little less considering it's only three frames with minimal movement.

Edited by Scarz

• 1 month later...

Here's another page of the "Sonic: G.U.N. Project". I'm still making it up as I go so I have no idea how long this will be. It'll probably be short considering things.

9873058296_0a750c6d4b_b.jpg

Edited by Scarz

Seeing Sonic wielding a firearm is surreal I will admit!

But it's looking cool; I'll be following. You definitely have some talent as a comic artist.

I've read a few issues yesterday and I already have a couple of reviews in mind. I haven't even considered reviewing the British comics (I've never read them). Are they worth the read?

Sorry this took so long to reply to!

Sonic the Comic is definitely a good read. It's a bit closer to the Adventures of Sonic and classic game continuities, what with the AoStH Robotnik design and Badnik theme, but it really branches off the series due to Nigel Kitching's excellent writing. Their version of Sonic is more of a jerk than most other continuities, but overall it's a really interesting take on the franchise.

Seeing Sonic wielding a firearm is surreal I will admit!

But it's looking cool; I'll be following. You definitely have some talent as a comic artist.

Sorry this took so long to reply to!

Sonic the Comic is definitely a good read. It's a bit closer to the Adventures of Sonic and classic game continuities, what with the AoStH Robotnik design and Badnik theme, but it really branches off the series due to Nigel Kitching's excellent writing. Their version of Sonic is more of a jerk than most other continuities, but overall it's a really interesting take on the franchise.

Thanks! I'll definitely be giving those issues a read and it might be my next review after the one I'm currently drawing. 

• 5 weeks later...

Didn't have a chance to finish my three panel review but somehow I found the time to ink my Fiona and Tails sketch.

9873233783_3316a2ae81_b.jpg

I favor the yellow jumpsuit over her new costume. Going to try to find the time to color this later.

Edited by Scarz

And finally, the colored piece. I saw a tutorial from Matt Herms about his coloring style for Archie's Sonic comics and thought I should give it a shot. It was pretty fun and I learned a few new things too. I usually place down the flats to a piece and add the cel shading. And every now and then when I'm feeling adventurous, I'll add some gradients.

This time I took the extra step by adding some highlights and touching things up with the soft round brush to give some places the airbrush effect.

Definitely check it out Matt Herm's tutorial if you're interested in the coloring style behind the current Sonic Comics.

9872876574_7f0b8a051f_b.jpg

Edited by Scarz
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

And now it's time to slow down on the "fanart" and start adding the "stuff" to this thread.

Here's simple pin-up of a cute character I saw on deviantart.

9875647135_c0708b0432_b.jpg

And since we're on the topic of anthropomorphic cuties, here's a comic I've put on a looooong hiatus (almost a year a think). 

"Road Kill" is a comic about two small time criminals, Jessica and Janine, who find themselves in a pinch and loses over half a million dollars in cash. They're forced to pay it all back to their fearsome boss in less than 30 days or else. In order to pay back the money, they hit the road as killers for hire.

9875689776_71a19fcd37_b.jpg

9875689814_8ce761b082_b.jpg

Sketch Preview of the first four pages.

9875679725_0678a0b81b_b.jpg

And a little Happy B-Day card for a friend featuring the characters from the comic.

9875707474_a1483f90f5_b.jpg

I'm tying to get back on track and update this comic every Friday. Hopefully next week there will be another page up.

Edited by Scarz
  • Thumbs Up 1