SEGA's 2013 plans?

2622 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This probably wasn't the right place to start this discussion, no. I did wonder myself about that when I first joined you all. But a focus on mobile Sonic games next year is big 2013 news whether you're interested or not.

lol you can't force something to be major, which in itself is already objective. Major is an actual freaking TITLE in my eyes, that's like saying Sega will focus more on the Wii U.

EDIT: Though I am grateful for you guys posting, a little info is better than none at all.

Edited by Dr.SuperJXJ

Posted

I love Sonic CD on the Android but, I suck shit at it because of the touch screen controls and my huge hands. I'd rather not play things primarily on my Android phone.

Posted

...Only that's what I'm doing right now. Hiding in the closet while everybody's chewing each other's heads off.

Is it safe to come out yet? ;w;

Should be!

*cocks shotgun*

Banana Slamma, Sami, Cola and 1 other like this

Posted

Clev

If you fancy reading the press notes.You'll discover Segas target markets when it comes to Sonic, specifically, who the games are aimed for and who the merchandise is aimed for. Anyone over 40 dips out. Although those who are aged 12-17 are also locked away.

Thanks for the clarification! Very clever, Hoggy.

Posted

Hoggy, we appreciate what you do for us, but next time try not to be so vague and cryptic.

Posted

I'm looking at your older post from before, Hoggy. And...

lol I didn't think you'd read that much into it... Actually, that one is proably gonna be delayed a tad. as it's more a funny thing than actual news... but I think you'll like what we found.

And who said it was a re-boot... re-shoes maybe... or re-socks..... maybe re-...Revengence!

What was that even supposed to mean, and how did it relate to any of the news posted? You were pretty much leading us on for disappointment.

Posted

lol you can't force something to be major, which in itself is already objective. Major is an actual freaking TITLE in my eyes, that's like saying Sega will focus more on the Wii U.

EDIT: Though I am grateful for you guys posting, a little info is better than none at all.

No one said anything "major" would be revealed. Hoggy said he had info from documents and I said the news is pretty sweet. No one said "major" if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I've said in the staff forum that if this ever happens again, then we won't say anything prior, because not everyone is into X category, be it gaming, merch, comics, whatever.

Posted (edited)

Anyway, I've said in the staff forum that if this ever happens again, then we won't say anything prior, because not everyone is into X category, be it gaming, merch, comics, whatever.

I'm pretty sure we're almost all into gaming, considering the announcement of Generations lead to stunning amounts of hype that actually did live up to expectations. I agree with what you're saying, but keep in mind that the fact that a bunch of people here (including myself) were looking forward to details on a new Sonic game probably means something.

Edit:

I also agree with BinaryRaptor; if you guys can be a little more specific ("Merch news coming soon", etc.), that'd be great. Stops misunderstandings like this from happening.

Edited by Dissident

Posted

Well at least I know now that Sega's made it obvious they want their Sonic plots to be on Generations level or below. What with their main demographic officially now 5-12 year olds. Who by the way probably would rather play COD then Sonic.

Posted

If these quotes I'm seeing are correct, then it's not so much saying anything prior but hyping things prior. Saying "We have news on Sonic merch to be posted soon" is different to "Holy Shit! BIG NEWS! Watch this space..."

I missed all the hype (thank god), but I'm happy to see digital is where they are looking. I don't use main consoles as much anymore, and my PSVITA has taken their place. To get Sonic 4 and other games on it would be great.

Posted

We're still seriously going on about this? Give it a break, it happened and it's over. While I'm not the news team, I'm sure they apologize for any false hope. People need to get over themselves because a piece of news wasn't what you had cooked up in your head.

So instead of constantly bitching about this, since it's not going anywhere, how about we get back on the topic of talking about SEGA's 2013 plans and not how the news was presented?

Posted

I think all of this news is wonderful

It's nice to see Sonic selling well

I legitimately want me a Shadow gumball machine and a few of those Sonic vinyl toys

and it's nice to have a bit of reassurance towards a new character and DLC for ASRT

This was all totally worth the hype, thank you TSS Staff

Come at me members

Motwera, Cola and King Frosty like this

Posted

Well at least I know now that Sega's made it obvious they want their Sonic plots to be on Generations level or below. What with their main demographic officially now 5-12 year olds. Who by the way probably would rather play COD then Sonic.

I'm also peeved by this, also, since I'm 21, apparently I'm in the "only wants retro-styled games" group. I don't want retro styled games Sega, I want regular Sonic titles with meatier plots.

Posted

I love the writting staff on here (probably more than most of the actual members), but I gotta say, I definitely see where the members are coming from. Personally, I don't give two shits. I came on here late, went on the main TSS site, saw the new articles, and was moderately happy by the news. Sonic gumball machines? No idea why, but to me, that's fucking rad. Looks like you have to put a coin in them, too. I have friends over pretty often, and they usally come in large groups, so I can leave one of these by the door and make a profit off of them! Those poor bastards won't see it coming...! :D

As for the other news, we knew about ASRT coming to Wii U, but news of it coming out in November means it could be a launch title for Wii U, right? That's awesome for me, as I'd like to get the game on Wii U, which I plan on getting on its launch day. As for the mobile stuff, Nepenthe put it best, I think. Nice to see that mobile Sonic is selling well, but I hope that won't be too big of a focus in the future.

With all that being said... again, I came here late, and read the whole shitstorm on this topic after it happened, already knowing the news. Still, I have to agree, with the way the staff was acting, it seemed like something a lot bigger was on the way. I think everyone on the TSS staff is very levelheaded, so if you ask me, I think it should have been expected that the members would get incredibly hyped over something like that, given to how they acted with news in the past, and the staff should have known better than to word their posts on this news the way that they did. That's just my two cents, though. Again, I couldn't give two fucks, so yeah. Sonic gumball machines. Tight as fuck.

Posted (edited)

Okay then......

SEGA Is really in a financial bind. I do see some sort of handheld Sonic title next year as a carry-over to the main console title, possibly being announced in the same year. Kinda like in 2007, where there wasn't a main series Sonic game out until Unleashed in 2008.

As for their other IP's, with the whole Anarchy Reigns deal and such, it could be a rocky 2013 for them.

I'll hide away under my cap now.

Edited by TheChaosBlue

Posted

Well, I apologize for getting anyone's hopes up, and as I said, we just won't say anything prior in future.

EDIT:

We should really get back on topic now, like Wolfy said.

Alexander and Wolfy like this

Posted

Well, I apologize for getting anyone's hopes up, and as I said, we just won't say anything prior in future.

EDIT:

We should really get back on topic now, like Wolfy said.

Posted

Thanks to all the staff for giving us these updates. You guys delivered to me.

In any case, since Sega release only 2-3 main Sonic titles every 5 years including the Anniversary Title being one of them, they'll probably be a new Main Sonic Game Announcement at the end of this year or at the beginning of 2013. Then after than, probably EP3 news and then comes the Anniversary Title Hype. But yeah, who knows? Just want my Llamas and Alpacas like Inferno said. :r

Posted

Posted

Where does it say that they want their Sonic plots to be on Generations level or you're just making assumptions?

Posted (edited)

I'm assuming of course. But considering Sega's recent history, I wouldn't be surprised if this is how Sonic might turn out for awhile. I mean look, Generations and Colors were marketed towards that same demographic and look what we got. Now that they've established that they are aiming for that same age group officially why would the plots get any better?

Edited by sonfan1984

Posted (edited)

I think Generations is trying to aim more towards the retro crowd the people who just wants gameplay and less plot.

Edited by Sora

Posted

Glad I wasn't a part of the hype machine. O_O All this about merchandise and mobile games, eh. I'm not too interested, shame that.

--- likes this

Posted

I think SEGA should start pushing some other IP in next gen consoles:

for the Wii U SEGA should develop sequels to Super Monkey Ball and Billy Hatcher, as well as a cross over music game between Space Channel 5 and Samba de Amigo; that would be hilarious. Also a new Skies of Arcadia

for the 3DS they should re-create Chu Chu Rocket

For the future XboX and PS they should focus on Sonic, Bayonetta, NiGHTS, Phantasy Star, Ecco and Guardian Heroes.

for XBLA and iOS I'd let Sumo Digital develop a new Crazy Taxi game

Posted

Wow, looks like everyone's still ticked off about this.

I have a suggestion: Let's all calm down and watch an episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (regardless if you're a brony or not).