• Announcements

DaN

SEGA's 2013 plans?

2622 posts in this topic

Maybe if Sonic Team made Sonic games which interests us for more than a couple of weeks then yeah...but then again Sonic has always been about replayability, but there is only so many times that you can play Green Hill to Planet Wisp in Sonic Generations. I can't play the game for more than 20 minutes at a time now without getting bored now!

I'm not saying that they should give us a 50 hour adventure, but they really need to go back to the drawing board and think about how they can make Sonic games thoroughly enjoyable for weeks and months to come after release...like the Classics.

Oh well. the new Naruto game is out on Friday, that will kill a couple of months for me. The announcement SHOULD be out by the time I get bored with this game (which will be a long while).

Edited by KrazyBean
Ferno, King Frosty and Burnt Ash like this

Maybe if Sonic Team made Sonic games which interests us for more than a couple of weeks then yeah...

That's exactly what I was thinking. If SEGA makes an extremely replayable Sonic game, that'll last the fanbase way longer as opposed to something that's merely good (not great) in terms of replayability like Colours or Generations. 

Not to disagree with your general point but... eh, I'd omit the bolded part as a reason to discount Sonic 4 as a "main game," considering that games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 still count as such.

It was just a general rat on S4. But S4 in particular is a cash grab on the side. 

What if they released Episode 1 & 2 + Episode Metal as a single game?

Despite the quality complaints, would people view it different in terms of being a 'main/big' game.. depending how we define those terms?

Well YMMV. If S41&2 were released as a single package I'd probably put it alongside the Rush, Advance, Rivals and GameGear games. That's to say nothing of it's quality, but just just what it offers.

ArtFenix likes this

Chaos Warp, meet the Sonic fanbase. We have impatient people because we're used to games coming out pretty much all the time.

Personally I wouldn't mind if they slowed it down and took their time.

Well yeah, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt to the fanbase, even if it's bad sometimes. 

I admit, I would like if SEGA was gonna take longer with the next Sonic game, to make a press release stating "The next game is in development but it won't come out this year and we'll show it when we're ready" or something just because the fact that this quietness is kinda abnormal (for SEGA/Sonic) and making me a tiny bit paranoid given SEGA's financial state, but it's not a necessity or anything. As long as what eventually comes out is good, I'm happy. 

Unless it takes as long as Duke Nukem Forever. Then fuck it. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

I just want them to do a brand new handheld game for 3DS, a proper exclusive like the Advance games and Sonic Rush. Not another tie-in handheld. >_>

That's exactly what I was thinking. If SEGA makes an extremely replayable Sonic game, that'll last the fanbase way longer as opposed to something that's merely good (not great) in terms of replayability like Colours or Generations. 

That was my main problem with Sonic Generations and, to an extent, Colours. Unlike Sonic Unleashed, they were really short games and could be finished in a day or less. Thus they lose their replayability because there's nothing more to do except get all the S ranks, which doesn't do anything anyway. Sonic Unleashed on the other hand...yeah, we need a game like that again!

Rave likes this

Thus they lose their replayability because there's nothing more to do except get all the S ranks, which doesn't do anything anyway. Sonic Unleashed on the other hand...yeah, we need a game like that again!

And you get all the red rings and unlock every achievement which took me about another 2 or 3 weeks probably even longer depending how skilled the person is.

Like seriously, people talk as though there's nothing left to do except beat the main game and thats it.

Edited by sonfan1984
Chaos Warp likes this

Yeah, nothing really compelled me to replay Generations extensively after I played it. I loved running through it the first time, but after a while, it starts to become a bore. Eh, I still like running through Speed Highway every now and then though. 

Edited by Burnt Ash
Kiah, Gabz Girl, BenderBR and 1 other like this

Hm, I'd say that I would like to have a 3D Sonic game for the 3DS, but it's highly likely that Dimps will the developers for such a game and considering how they handled the daytime stages for Sonic Unleashed (Wii/PS2)... eh, I'm uncertain now.

I just want them to do a brand new handheld game for 3DS, a proper exclusive like the Advance games and Sonic Rush. Not another tie-in handheld. >_>

That was my main problem with Sonic Generations and, to an extent, Colours. Unlike Sonic Unleashed, they were really short games and could be finished in a day or less. Thus they lose their replayability because there's nothing more to do except get all the S ranks, which doesn't do anything anyway. Sonic Unleashed on the other hand...yeah, we need a game like that again!

To be fair, Sonic Unleashed is longer because of the backtracking you have to do to collect medals, which was really tedious, and the fact that the Werehog stages took like 20-30 minutes. You can argue that the Werehog isn't padding (personally I thought it was because it's playstyle didn't belong in a Sonic game), but you can't really argue that the medals weren't padding, especially when you needed a certain amount to enter the next stage. Not to say I don't like Unleashed but still.

So in short, I'd rather have a short but uber replayable Sonic game then a long yet padded out one. 

And you get all the red rings and unlock every achievement which took me about another 2 or 3 weeks probably even longer depending how skilled the person is.

Like seriously, people talk as though there's nothing left to do except beat the main game and thats it.

Yah, but getting them was easy as hell compared to Unleashed, which took me more than a month to complete! Hell I still didn't get all the achievements and hot dog missions in that game, whereas Generations I 100% all achievements in less than a week. =I

Shrek and Rave like this

I'm curious, did anyone ever get a look at that EDGE magazine for themselves to confirm that teaser image that kinda looked like a Chao? When should we expect the next issue? I know the image said March 14th but I have not been able to find anyone talk about that image since then.

Edited by Mykonos

It took me 4 days to platinum the whole game. And if I didn't have college, probably 2 days. Generations was far too easy with one or two hard/annoying missions. Now Unleashed? Different story altogether.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana
Invictus Ordo and neezTHEhuman like this

Yeah, getting S ranks in generations is NOT a challenge of any sort. Hell, it takes friggin' DYING NOT to get an S rank xD. That or just sitting before the screen and not playing for like 10 minutes. What a joke))!

I'm curious, did anyone ever get a look at that EDGE magazine for themselves to confirm that teaser image that kinda looked like a Chao? When should we expect the next issue? I know the image said March 14th but I have not been able to find anyone talk about that image since then.

I know we tend to have a few lying around in my College class, though I think we switched to MCV a while back. What date was the issue? March 14th, right?

Yeah, generations is a small game, specially if you already played unleashed and are used to the gameplay. I finished it in a weekend or so. I say one way to increase the games replaybility is to do like the classics and advances games and use optional characters.

Edited by redhellc

Yeah though a redeeming factor of Gens is that us modders managed to crack it realitively quickly, and widely open, proably moreso than any previous sonic game, so its going to keep selling for a while especialy if some major mods come out

Yeah though a redeeming factor of Gens is that us modders managed to crack it realitively quickly, and widely open, proably moreso than any previous sonic game, so its going to keep selling for a while especialy if some major mods come out

Not thanks to SEGA. They have nothing to do with that.

Why the hell doesn't anyone crack Transformed? There could be some awesome mods for Generations with Transformed assets!

Edited by ArtFenix

I know a couple have been toying with ASRT a little, heck, I would love to mess with it a bit myself, but the format has be cracked so we can get stuff IN, pulling stuff out is realitively easy. And the main guy who might be able to crack it doesnt have a copy! yet at least......

on another front I am tracking donw a lead on someone who might have ccracked it, or is just decent at photoshop, should know in a day or two

ArtFenix, Cola, lbyrd2 and 1 other like this

Half an hour long, downloadable and half-arsed title. It may be part of the main series, but it's not "main game" or "big game" like Colours, Generations or even the Rush series. So yeah... no.

Sooo....it's a..spin-off?

If someone asks you "where does Sonic 4 fit in storywhise?", do you answear, nowhere, because it was low budget?

No matter how cheapshit it is, it's still a part of the series.

If someone asks you "where does Sonic 4 fit in storywhise?", do you answear, nowhere, because it was low budget?

No. It's just a side-installment because of how small scale the game is. I didn't say it wasn't part of the series, just that it's not one of the main instalments.

It's a quick cash-in title that was made JUST to make some quick cash. It does fit in the canon story-wise making it kind of one of main series titles but overall it's more of a spin-off or rehash remake or DLC than an actual new game (aside from bosses which looked amazing). ...and the game was released at the beginning of the year, so all that time after the release we had nothing. Anyway, no matter how you look at it, a game like that won't make a year very active for the series, so I absolutely agree that 2012 was a very quiet year for the franchise.

Edited by ArtFenix

I would expect in 2013:

- New Sonic Storybook game for Wii U

- Mario and Sonic at Sochi 2014

- Some new main series game

And please, while you're impatiently waiting, think about the Earthworm Jim fans who haven't gotten a decent game since 1995.

BenderBR likes this

I know we tend to have a few lying around in my College class, though I think we switched to MCV a while back. What date was the issue? March 14th, right?

Amazed no one else responded. I'm not sure how Edge categorizes, we got the image almost a month ago, I know some magazines go by the month after they release. I'd say check the backs of the February and March issues if you could. smile.png

Edited by Mykonos

Having to just address topics rather than reply to posts since the formatting deleted all the quote boxes when I spaced around a bit.

On longer games requiring withdrawal:

This is not true. Senators stand for 6 year terms but there's an election every 2 years.

The point being Sega has to stagger development times. When one game is released there should be one that is one third finished and another that is two thirds finished. Sega has plenty of resources, as can be seen by its numerous side titles, so it's just a case of some restructuring where it goes. As it stands they alternate a main title every two or so years with sides in the years between.

Really what needs to be done is making the side titles more appealing. I wasn't terribly enthralled by Transformed and showed minimal interest in it with all the topics or demos available.

On the magazines:

No one replied to my question if anyone was going to Sonic Boom either, don't feel bad!

On other series:

Yeahhhhh. Sonic tripped. Crash Bandicoot fell off a skyscraper. As I always say. One of them's not recovering. Can you guess who?