Awoo.

The Castlevania Thread of Whip Whip Whipping It Good.

Tornado

Most of what I know about Castlevania is from Captain N.

I know a few friends who play Dawn of Sorrow from time to time though.

Most of what I know about Castlevania is from Captain N.

simon_belmont_captain_n_nc_demotivationa

Not exactly the best way to get introduced to Castlevania I have to admit.

Anyway, I've really only played 2 Castlevania games, Bloodlines and Lords of Shadow. Bloodlines was a hell of a lot of fun to play. Shadow not so much, but it was still fun.

Castlevania is my favorite platforming series. I love the dark, gothic atmosphere it has around it. Fighting ghosts, bats, and all sorts of shit you'd expect from Dracula.

Castlevania 1 is one of my favorites. Its straightforward unlike the later games which is pretty nice. Its challenging all the time but nothing wrong with a little challenge right? Its rather iconic as well.

While I do love it I still haven't beaten Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Its a massive game and I tend to get lost a lot. Its fun but other than getting lost, I can never seem to get a copy of SotN to run properly. Its a great game that I won't ever beat.

The only thing I just don't like about the latter games that have elements of SotN is that they make big maps; I get lost way too easily and when I get back to them I don't know where the fuck to go. I'm having that problem with Aria of Sorrow. Its like I've been everywhere and nothing is clear on where to go and I'm like "GAAAAHHH!" So yeah I suppose I'm more of a classic Castlevania fan then.

*still hasn't beaten a single Castlevania game yet*

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

I'm definitely a Metroidvania fan, but I also appreciate the classics. My favourite Metroidvania is a difficult question, but I love Super Castlevania IV. I haven't played Rondo, though, I should probably get it along with Dracula X Chronicles, eventually.

Now, Lords of Shadow...? Don't get me started on that hyper-generic sham.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

simon_belmont_captain_n_nc_demotivationa

Not exactly the best way to get introduced to Castlevania I have to admit.

How did they fuck that up? It's supposed to be Simon Belmont not Pilot Leno chin.

I started with Castlevania IV and my God am I glad I did. That game was and is amazing. I also played most of the portable games, but they're not as interesting. Except for Order Of Eclessia, that was fucking good.

I've only played Bloodlines, Super Castlevania IV, and Symphony of the Night (for like 5 seconds)

Bloodlines and Super Castlevania IV are really addicting and fun to play,  the 2D games have a pretty unique formula from what I can see.

The Metroidvania thing isn't my cup of tea. I just can't get into Symphony of the night like most people can.

The series has some really damn good music too, one of the most famous (afaik) being Vampire Killer:

I really need to beat Super Castlevania IV one of these days.

Edited by Akihikohikoakikaki

I've only played Bloodlines, Super Castlevania IV, and Symphony of the Night (for like 5 seconds)

Bloodlines and Super Castlevania IV are really addicting and fun to play,  the 2D games have a pretty unique formula from what I can see.

The Metroidvania thing isn't my cup of tea. I just can't get into Symphony of the night like most people can.

SoTn isn't as interesting as Super Castlevania IV because of all those elements that were introduced instead of the simplicity. (Simon's Quest did it first, but not the best way.) Also the swordplay is nothing compared to 8-way whipping. SoTn redeems itself in those departments with damn good game play and being one of the biggest Castlevania games. (Going throught the castle twice? Jesus...)

Edited by Abominal Taz

Never knew Castlevania even existed until like 2 years ago. And even then I could never find a game from the series.

If the Wii U puts some of the titles up on the VC, then once I get one I'll be sure to check one of them out.

I haven't played a castlevaina game since shit simon's quest and I was like 3 years old but I did want to go back and play some of the DS games because I heard they were pretty good. Though part me is like I really don't feel like fucking with that metroidvaina part of the series.

The classic sidescrollers definitely feel like more rich experiences than the Metroidvania types.  They don't go on forever, but they offer distinct, refined challenge and they are very satisfying to play through.  The first Castlevania feels a bit TOO frustrating at times, and Castlevania 2, as we all know, is just plain bullshit.  Castlevania 3 is awesome, probably the best NES Castlevania, with cool new enhancements to the 1st game's formula.  I think Super Castlevania IV is my favorite in the series (and the only one of the classic sidescrollers that I've beaten).  It feels great to play, has good atmosphere, and is just plain fun overall.  Rondo of Blood is awesome as well, but I prefer SCIV.  I really want to play Bloodlines, and at this point I'm considering emulating it rather than buy a Genesis or hopelessly wait for a re-release. 

The Metroidvanias are very fun, but in different aspects.  Symphony of the Night was my first Castlevania game, and of the ones I've played, it's the only Metroidvania one that I think is superb in almost all aspects.  It's fun to play and I think it has the best atmosphere in the series, something the handheld games thoroughly lack.  Order of Ecclesia is a great game, and I think it has the best combat out of the Metroidvanias, but I feel like it could have been so much better if it had a darker atmosphere like SotN.  SotN feels very ominous at times, with genuinely creepy music and intimidating foes.  The handheld games don't achieve this level of immersion, as the sound design is nowhere near as atmospheric, and the graphics are usually brighter.  

Overall, this is a great series.  Both styles of gameplay have something to offer.  And let's not forget the kickass music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTmb8ZCXCiI

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't played a castlevaina game since shit simon's quest and I was like 3 years old but I did want to go back and play some of the DS games because I heard they were pretty good. Though part me is like I really don't feel like fucking with that metroidvaina part of the series.

You shouldn't judge the SotN and newer Castlevania games by Simon's Quest. Simon's Quest is honestly pretty shit even by the standards of the time; and it's a really good example of the developer's reach exceeding their grasp. They couldn't do what they clearly wanted to try on that system, but they tried it anyway and ended up with a disaster. That game needed some sort of voice acting or cutscenes or something to tell that story and not just be a total clusterfuck, and all they had was 8-bit fonts and sprites.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like the series a lot but doesn't feel like I'm like really into it at times. When I was in a "homg I need everything with a werewolf in it" stage of my life, I started trying out the games. Got Castlevania 1 on the Virtual Console and was dumb at it (mainly because I didn't realize there was shit in the candles XD). Been wanting to play that again recently thanks to Game Grumps though haha.

Anyways after that I mistakingly got Judgement for the Wii because Cornell looked like a badass. Turns out that's the only thing I like about that game in general aside from the music, so back to Gamestop it went. Lastly during all this I saw Lords of Shadow was coming out soon and trailers and everything made it look fucking awesome. So with a hard on I ran to Walmart and picked it up, enjoyed it for a good few hours until I it just started getting boring and frustrating. Still own it but never finished it. I think I'm in some clock-ass tower or something? I can't recall.

Anyways, Castlevania is neat and wish I could be into it more, but I think at the end of the day I'd only really like the old classic ones since I'm not a super big fan of the metroidvania styling, and the modern games are pretty snoozefest. BUUUUT, the music is and will still always be cool beans, so there's that I guess.

I ran into a thing in Symphony of the Night where if you knew how to do Soul Stealer there was zero challenge to the game.  Dunno if I was doing it wrong.  Got too bored to find the inverted castle.  

I should play more bloodlines.  

I've been replaying Order Of Ecclesia slowly for a little while and having a great time. It has a reputation for being quite hard, but I don't really see why. There have been a couple of choke points in the level design where I've nearly died, but that's what healing items are for. The bosses have been pretty easy aside from the fact that I'm going for the medals you get for beating them without taking damage, so I still have to restart a lot. I think maybe because those medals exist, they had to make the bosses fair, or at least give them tells that are easy to learn.

I have not played much Castlevania - I also only learned it existed within the last couple of years - but I don't think I'd like the classic style so much as the Metroidvania style. I like backtracking and exploration and being immersed in a world, so I'm sure Metroidvania would do it for me where others wouldn't.

I also recently bit the bullet and bought "that game." You know the one I mean. First on a new platform for the series, and sequel to a game that saw a massive change in direction for the series, attempting to reconfigure it for an audience that otherwise wasn't too interested. I know a lot of people have problems with it, but I think it actually looks pretty interesting, and when I've got time I'm going to give it the time of day. I think I might just have a blast, despite my misgivings about getting it at this point. I'm referring, of course, to Dawn Of Sorrow.

Edited by FFWF
  • Thumbs Up 2

I also recently bit the bullet and bought "that game." You know the one I mean. First on a new platform for the series, and sequel to a game that saw a massive change in direction for the series, attempting to reconfigure it for an audience that otherwise wasn't too interested. I know a lot of people have problems with it, but I think it actually looks pretty interesting, and when I've got time I'm going to give it the time of day. I think I might just have a blast, despite my misgivings about getting it at this point. I'm referring, of course, to Dawn Of Sorrow.

Oh, bravo, man, you made me laugh. But seriously, art aside (Rondo had anime-style art too), Dawn of Sorrow is pretty much an evolution of Aria, and has a perfect leveling curve. Granted, the soul grinding is a pain, though, but still. So, yeah, it's a great game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a really shitty fan, I've basically played the Metroidvanias and SC4 and Rondo of Blood.

SC4 has the nice control, but I feel Rondo of Blood just plays more smoothly and energetically. I also find Rondo to be more exciting with it's combat, boss battles, backflips, 90s soundtrack, and exploratory nature despite not being a Metroidvania.

I got into Castlevania though Circle of the Moon, which is funny because I can't fucking stand that game. I even like Harmony of Dissonance over it. I pretty much enjoy the rest of the Metroidvanias a hell of a lot, but I like Symphony of the Night the most because of how open ended it feels and because of the atmosphere it exudes, even if it is really easy and unbalanced. Order of Ecclesia and the Sorrow games are also really good. Ecclesia is more linear but a lot more challenging and there's some insanely good boss battles, especially the 2 screen tall 3 screen wide Eligor in the castle. The Sorrow games drift a lot from the original style but it added something new and the soul system is addictive.

Harmony of Dissonance is okay, suffers from the poor sound quality because of the fact they bought a smaller GBA cart size, as well as the obnoxious backtracking which could have been lessened by the two castles thing being around in the first place. Portrait of Ruin is left then, and while it's still a really good game, it pretty much dies towards the end and I consider it totally the weakest of the DS games. It also has some annoying glitches as well, I've had a few freezing glitches and awkward collision detection moments where the other two DS games played just fine.

OoE really did well to get more gothic again, but it's not just gothic either, it's incredibly bleak and beautiful and it's such a great adventure, and I actually liked the villagers and their different personalities. SoTN is beautiful in a different way, a more grand way.

I haven't touched Lords of Shadow and it's ilk, looks generic as shit and doesn't appeal to me because it's lost Castlevania's sense of vibrancy but also occasional self-aware campiness that occurs because they know what they're dealing with.

Almost all the soundtracks are pretty much fantastic though, especially SoTN and OoE - but even the likes of Harmony of Dissonance have great tracks too.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Which reminds me. I don't know about sales (not that it's relevant, as I suspect Konami made, invested, and advertised it more than previous titles), but according to Metacritic, Mirror Of Fate has been reviewed a consistent ten points or more below the DS Castlevanias, and a lot of the reviews outright state that it isn't as good as them. A message I hope Konami will take on board even if they intend to continue shilling the series out to other developers rather than making anything themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=443061522416597&set=vb.100001382582068&type=3

This is a speedrun if Castlevania 1 that I did a few months ago.

I didn't get into the series until my senior year, but I'm going to say that I liked Simon's Quest enough to attempt a major speedrun for it.

I do like the Metroidvanias, but I miss the old-school style :( .

Anyone a fan of Dracula's recurring theme Dance of Illusions?

Castlevania 64 is fucking underrated. Also Simon's Quest gets a lot of unfair hate. I don't like the Lord of Shadows games cause they rebooted the timeline. I want the real Castlevania timeline back.

I will grant the Lords Of Shadow subseries one concession only: The original Castlevania timeline was crammed to the brim.  There wouldn't have been space in the timeline for any new games before long.  Some sort of reboot on some level would have to have occurred.  However, I think it could surely have been done in a respectful and consistent way considering that the original timeline included actual time-traveller characters and therefore the potential for fresh timelines.  Heck, maybe a future installment in the series could retcon LoS in that way, as an alternative timeline split in some way from the original.  But I think IGA should've been given the opportunity to exit the series with a bang, if that had to happen at all.  Order Of Ecclesia, Judgement, and Harmony Of Despair were no games to conclude the original timeline with.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'll probably get shunned for this, but I downloaded the Mirror's of Fate 3DS demo, and as linear as it is (very misleading as it looks like a free-roam sandbox game, but is actually a side scroller) I really liked what I played of it, granted it's hard as balls since enemies do so much damage to you and it takes another chapter out of LoS's book with the only way to acquire life is via the fountains after certain points in the level, but it was really satisfying and filled my Castlevania fix for on the go (Since I rather liked LoS's this is probably obvious) I probably will pick it up to take on holiday with me since it really kept my attention, also heard you play 4 separate stories in the game? Gabriel, Alucard, Simon & someone else, i somehow think this will probably kill the game's length for me as i'm guessing the stories are shortened to fit all 4 characters into it, the game claims it's got a story mode that will last 20 hours at least though, we'll see.

I will grant the Lords Of Shadow subseries one concession only: The original Castlevania timeline was crammed to the brim.  There wouldn't have been space in the timeline for any new games before long.

True, but I think that there was room for at least seven more Castlevania games in the timeline before they would have had to do a reboot.

I'm just pissed that we'll never get a game that covers the events of the 1999 battle against Dracula.

Edited by Vampfox

I'm just pissed that we'll never get a game that covers the events of the 1999 battle against Dracula.

Unpopular opinion, but... I'm not sure they ever intended to do a 1999 game.  I think it was always meant to be an untold story, one to exist only in fans' imaginations, because the reality could never match up to the expectations of it.  It has the quality of a legend - only recounted at a distance, never experienced first-hand.

Anyway, apparently sales for Mirror Of Fate were pretty bad, which is promising.  I don't begrudge Konami for jumping on the first console Castlevania game that really worked, but to throw away the portable fandom and the entire history of the series was short-sighted, especially since chances are they simply didn't provide enough of a budget for them.  I'll be crossing my fingers for them to quietly return to the Metroidvania form for the handhelds once Lords Of Shadow has died down in a few years.

I honestly think that the timeline is pretty insignificant, so if they wanted to do a reboot, that's hardly an issue for me. The problem is that Lords of Shadow really has none of the original series' style or charm. Say what you want about how the Metroidvania games were different- they still had the upbeat spooky atmosphere and music of the originals.

They also weren't generic hack and slash games either, but you know.  

Edited by Solly