Awoo.

Shovel Knight [PC/3DS/Wii U]

Meow

The thing about the DLC is that it's all free, so I'm having a hard time imagining what could be added to this game that would justify paying double the price.

Some bonus material like making of videos or a miniature artbook would do the trick for me

Could be extra stock left over from the kickstarter as bonus incentives. Or it could be just to prove it's successful enough to go from digital to physical copy, I'm sure they'll include something at least to justify the price hike, will pick up the XONE version for the battle toads content, and double dip for 3DS so I can have shovel knight portable on the go.

I heard Shovel Knight is coming to XONE next week with a special appearance from the Battle Toads? Surely we won't be fighting them since they're good guys, and Kratos is arguably an chaotic anti hero.

I don't know, the details are super vague though, I can't wait.

Still waiting for it to come out here in EU. Yacht Club said we'll get it by tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

I'll probably edit this later for better arrangement,  since I'm currently on my mobile but here's a gigantic update of news that I think you'll love to hear. 

From Yacht Club Games themselves @  yachtclubgames.com/2015/06/shovel-knight-physical-version-coming-to-a-store-near-you/

Shovel Knight – Physical Version Coming to a Store Near You!!!
By: Yacht Club Games on June 30, 2015

It’s been a year since Shovel Knight dug into the hearts of people everywhere. Can you believe it? With more than 700,000 copies sold and over 100 awards including many Game of the Year accolades, Shovel Knight’s phenomenal success is something we never dreamed possible. Now, we’re ready to take the next step: into the REAL WORLD!!

That’s right! We’ve heard the demand, and now we have our biggest megaton announcement yet!!

Shovel Knight is coming to retail.

The Details
North America: October 13, 2015

Europe: October 16th, 2015

$19.99 MSRP

Available on Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, (PC – Europe only)

Pre-Orders should be live at your favorite retailer: Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Gamestop, Amazon…you name it! To make as big of a splash as possible, and to let retailers know that they need to stock up, you should definitely pre-order now!! We’d consider it a huge personal favor; thanks in advance!

What’s in the box?!

The physical version of Shovel Knight contains everything we’ve released so far. First, there is the original Shovel Knight campaign with all the content you know and love! Also included is Shovel Knight’s first content update: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. Finally, there’s a full-featured Challenge mode with more than 50 crazy challenge levels to explore!

Of course, like the digital version, every boxed version will also receive FREE future updates as they become available:

Specter Knight’s Campaign – A full campaign starring the shadowy scythe spinner!
King Knight’s Campaign – A crazy campaign with the gilded goob himself!
Battle Mode – Duel with up to 4 players as your favorite heroic or villainous knight! (Wii U/PS4/XB1/PC exclusive)
Body Swap Mode –  Did you ever wish Shovel Knight was a lady, or Shield Knight was a dude? Well, now you’ll be able to change them all around, along with the rest of the cast!
Oh, and one more thing: every boxed copy of Shovel Knight will include a lavish instruction booklet similar to the Kickstarter reward. No 2-page inserts here! You deserve a full manual, to hold in your hot little shaking hands and pore over as you wait to get home!

Yacht Club Games – Now a Publisher!!

Wait, but who is publishing the game?! We are! Yes, us! That’s right! The Yacht Club Games crew has joined the world of physical publishing. But we’re getting a big helping hand from our distributor U&I Entertainment, who will be shipping the game out to stores for us. They have done an amazing job with Telltale’s games like The Walking Dead, as well as Divinity: Original Sin, so we know they are up to the task! Fun Fact: they even shipped the original PlayStation back in 1995!

This is a whole new frontier for us, and we couldn’t be more grateful to have the amazing team at U&I at our backs to help us bring Shovel Knight to store shelves! This is just the beginning!

Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows – Coming Very Soon!

The wait for Plague of Shadows is almost over! This free update will definitely hit digital platforms BEFORE the boxed version. We’re in the home stretch and are polishing every detail, pixel, and potion right now. Check out some screens before the final version is released!

Remember that tough bookroom in Pridemoor? Look at a skilled Plague Knight just breeze on by it!

Battle Mode

Even in the chaos of all this new stuff, we are still plugging away on new features. New single player adventures are always fun, but it will soon be time to shake it up in Battle Mode! Lots of playable characters, stages, battle types, options, and more are coming! Here’s a taste:

We hope everyone is looking forward to the wild battles!

Look who's excited for the Physical Version's Launch!
That’s all for now!!
Wow…was that too much information? Stay tuned this coming month because we have even more crazy cool news to reveal. For instance, a final Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows release date and trailer! Also… we’ve heard the cries of bringing more exclusive content to Nintendo platforms. It might not be quite what you expect… but keep an eye out for another MEGATON announcement soon!

Will Shovel Knight take over the world? What will the new content be like? What is happening with the Nintendo versions? So many questions! Please let us know what you think of everything in the comments!

• Thumbs Up 1

As utterly pointless as this is, I MIGHT grab the 3DS version or something. I have it on my Wii U so the disc would just be a paperweight

What they mean with Battle Mode exclusive to next-gen and PC? That sucks, I'll be forever stuck in single player with my PS3 version?.... Not even 2 players campaign with Shield Knight? Sigh...

...I don't think there is a PS3 version, is there?  It's the handheld versions that aren't getting Battle Mode.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to Plague Of Shadows and the Nintendo content announcement.  (The former was originally scheduled for Q2, but YCG have generally missed release dates anyway so I was quite prepared.)

...I don't think there is a PS3 version, is there?  It's the handheld versions that aren't getting Battle Mode.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to Plague Of Shadows and the Nintendo content announcement.  (The former was originally scheduled for Q2, but YCG have generally missed release dates anyway so I was quite prepared.)

I can confirm the PS3 version exists since I bought it around Day 1. I don't see why they not add new content the other versions are getting especially since...

Kratos is a secret exclusive boss battle in the PS3 and presumably the PS4 versions.

So they did put a lot of work even towards the ports. Again I don't see why they wouldn't add battle mode.

With that said I am excited for the DLC, especially Plague Knight since its a new character with vastly different gameplay. So yeah something to look forward to.

Alright, hands up, I didn't know the details of the PlayStation versions.  But YCG have never mentioned, that I've seen, PS3 missing out on Battle Mode, just... ah, I've got it.  It's a misinterpretation.  The context in which that list of Battle Mode platforms was given was in terms of the boxed retail version, and they left out PS3 because there isn't going to be a PS3 retail version.  It's not a reflection on the complete list of platforms that are getting Battle Mode, which should include the PS3.

Kratos being a secret boss isn't exactly a spoiler, pretty much everyone knows he's in the PSN versions. And the XBone version has the Battletoads. So it makes sense that the Nintendo versions would get a Nintendo thing as well.

Kratos being a secret boss isn't exactly a spoiler, pretty much everyone knows he's in the PSN versions. And the XBone version has the Battletoads. So it makes sense that the Nintendo versions would get a Nintendo thing as well.

Question is who? Captain Falcon? Ganondorf? Mike Jones from star Tropics? Playable Link's Adventure Link? Meta Knight?

I've seen a lot of statements saying it might not happen because timed exclusivity.

If Nintendo does get an exclusive character, it would be probably be something really obvious like Link. I only want them to get an exclusive because it feels unfair that Nintendo doesn't have one. 8(

I dunno, I would've guessed something like Zelda as well, but them saying "It might be not quite what you expect" makes me think it's not an obvious character - heck, I'm not even sure if it's an exclusive Level anymore, but something entirely different. That line REALLY threw me off. xD

I was being safe since I didn't know Kratos in Shovel Knight was a common knowledge thing. D:

But yeah if there's a Nintendo rep in Shovel Knight it would be Link, complete with ellipses since he never talks. Though I do wanna see Marth since he's one of my favorite Nintendo characters but I digress. Link comes from a iconic series in both the west and east so I don't see why not Link.

Bowser might be another option since he's a bad guy with a medieval styled castle but who knows.

Didn't one of the Yacht Club developers said once they absolutely wanted to do something with Tingle if they had the chance? Maybe that's what we might not expect.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its good to see that Shovel Knight is getting a physical release especially for those that don't like going digital. I might get the physical version of the game when I eventually get a PS4. It's also better to see that the Nintendo versions will be getting some sort of exclusive, It would be awesome if Meta Knight was a boss and you fought him on his ship as a homage to Meta Knights revenge. One thing Im worried about is the PC owners, I wonder what content they will get.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its good to see that Shovel Knight is getting a physical release especially for those that don't like going digital. I might get the physical version of the game when I eventually get a PS4. It's also better to see that the Nintendo versions will be getting some sort of exclusive, It would be awesome if Meta Knight was a boss and you fought him on his ship as a homage to Meta Knights revenge. One thing Im worried about is the PC owners, I wonder what content they will get.

Windows 10 owners will get the Battletoads content as Shovel Knight will be a cross-buy game.

Windows 10 owners will get the Battletoads content as Shovel Knight will be a cross-buy game.

Hopefully, us PC owners will receive the Battletoads content if we already have Shovel Knight for PC, but then upgrade to Windows 10.

Thats good to know

• 1 month later...

There's a new interview out about Plague of Shadows that gives us our first real look at just how differently it plays in terms of your abilities, the story, and map design.  I know the majority of the maps will still be exactly the same, but they do a very good job of highlighting new material in this video and it's got me pretty hyped.  Plague of Shadows has now completed development and localisation and is in submission at the moment, so hopefully we won't have to wait too long for a release date.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yay, updates! First of all, a Plague Knight Campaign Trailer!

Also: Yacht Club Games confirmed that we are going to get the MEGATON Nintendo announcement this week, not only that, but they are also present at the Pre-PAX Event "Nindies @ Night" on Thursday - I think it's pretty safe to assume that this is where we are going to hear about the Nintendo exclusive stuff.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/08/plague-of-shadows-trailer-big-week/

I honestly can't wait to find out what the Nintendo users are going to get! Thursday (Friday for me) can't come soon enough! :D

Edited by Thigolf
  • Thumbs Up 1