Awoo.

Final Fantasy XV [Formerly Versus XIII] (Xbox One, PS4)

Detective Shadzter

Actually no not according to Tabata, the game's director:

After the switch from Versus XIII to XV, the first decision Square Enix made was to make sure XV would have a complete and coherent story in one game. In deciding which elements would fit into XV from Final Fantasy Versus XIII, the team went through everything in detail and tried to keep as many elements from the original story in as possible. The team considered what what would fit and what was essential for the story to be containefd in a single title. They decided to be as faithful to Nojima’s original Versus XIII story as possible, so they created a narrative that utilized the original story as much as possible.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, XV is still apart of Fabula Nova Crystallis, so there's going to be some stuff carried over. But I just wouldn't be surprised if changes like this are made.

Stuff being added in Episode Duscae 2.0. Reminder that it'll be available today!

• Added cooperation attacks that come from ally suggestions.
  • Guarding just before being hit by an enemy attack will no longer consume MP.
  • Evasive maneuver has been changed into a dodge roll, no longer consumes MP, and can be shifted into from various actions.
  • Pressing the left stick during a consecutive attack will change the attack movement.
  • You can now charge great sword attacks by holding down the button.
  • The shift (warp) command has been changed into a long Circle button hold. If you hold Circle for a short period, you’ll perform a mid-range shift.
  • The areas you can warp to have been greatly increased.
  • Attack power, MP consumption, and more have been adjusted.
  • Camera turning speed and acceleration has been improved. The lock-on tracking has been improved, and target-switching has been simplified.
  • Camera can now be moved down during combat.

• Guarding just before being hit by an enemy attack will no longer consume MP.
  • Evasive maneuver has been changed into a dodge roll, no longer consumes MP, and can be shifted into from various actions.

2398133-6148642144-mc63t.gif

Holy shit, Square are actually fucking listening to people. The surveys and Active Time Reports apparently help a shit-ton.

It's really great how transparent they're being with this game. I hope it's a trend we'll see with future games from them.

*Tabata enters Square's offices* "Hey guys, turns out listening to what people want instead of purely stroking our own egos is a good thing! It made the game better" *Everyone in the office goes "Ooooohh" except for Motomu Toriyama(Director of the XIII trilogy), since he's too busy masturbating to the Lightning poster he has on his cubicle(Not a joke he actually has one)*

• Thumbs Up 5

OK, I have to say. The dodge roll (which works during Stasis by the way) and the combo cancel warp dodges have made this game a MILLION times better to play. I can't believe how much of an impact these two small changes have made! Fighting massive enemies like Deadeye and the Yellow Garulas are pretty fun now (haven't fought that massive dino like creature yet though). It also seems that you have more MP to use overall but that's either due to the fact that you don't rely on the auto-warp dodge as much any more since the technical dodges don't cost MP, or they've reduced the MP cost of abilities, or probably both.

The framerate is still not stable but it's definitely an improvement especially when you fight a ton of Magitek troops. The vast increase in warp points is great too. I can't also forget about the team attacks, which is implemented well but I still don't understand how you initiate it exactly. I hope there are various animations in the full game though cause if it's just this one combo it's gonna get old fast. Fast camera movement and the camera actually tracking a locked on enemy is very appreciated too.

A shame that they couldn't add magic to use in this update but at this rate I'm sure there will be a 3.0 if they get a ton of feedback again from 2.0 since Episode Duscae is pretty much a closed beta now instead of a demo.

I doubt they're gonna make a 3.0 unless they add a lot more stuff to do. Episode Duscae is cool and all but I don't think it'll hold people that have been playing since 1.0 without some bigger stuff added to it.

• 1 month later...

That's actually a big fucking deal. Like, wow. Wow.

I'm glad about this though, a worldwide release was probably a smart move for the next mainline Final Fantasy game.

• 2 weeks later...

Gamescom trailer. Those wondering where the dark atmosphere from the early trailers went are gonna enjoy the first minute. The scene with King Lucis and young Noctis is really poignant, looking forward to see more.

Eh, it was always known this would not have been a cutsie happy game: i mean, despite the more light-hearted tones of the Duscae demo, the premise itself of the plot is not something heartwarming.

Also, i love how (aside from the main crystal theme at the beginning) around the 0:52 mark the soundtrack tries to segway into the main theme of the franchise but abruptly stops. It's as if Shimomura is like "I can't do it, this shit is too sad even for me; i need a tissue.", lol.

I don't get it

Why did about 1 minute and 30 seconds of that trailer go to Noctis just standing there hugging his father

I don't get it

Why did about 1 minute and 30 seconds of that trailer go to Noctis just standing there hugging his father

The story draws elements from Hamlet. Take your conclusions from there.

• Thumbs Up 1

The gameplay demonstration showed a new area and the return of one of our favourite nightmare in the entire franchise.

Something tells me this game will not be easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tabata said the game's out before 2017.

Final Fantasy XV Director, Hajime Tabata, has confirmed to GameSpot that fans can expect to play the game before 2017, indicating the game will be released in 2016.

Pressed on how Tabata and his team plan to reassure fans struggling to remain excited after such a long development process, especially given the lackluster announcements coming from Gamescom, Tabata admitted the showing may have left fans wanting, and offered his sympathy.

"I understand why people are feeling that way after coming to Cologne and speaking to a lot of the media," he said. "We really do get the feeling that people are a bit worried. Certainly, one thing I would like to say to them to reassure them, is that we've set down the release date, we know when it is, and we've got a complete road map lined up, right up to launch, and we're proceeding along that as planned."

Then, Tabata dropped the best indication of the Final Fantasy XV release date yet: "We can certainly say to people: it's not going to be 2017. It's going to be before that."

So, there you have it, a release window.

I don't get it

Yeah, honestly, the trailer was boring. Although to be fair, I thought it was supposed to be a younger Noctis.

I'll believe it when I see it, Tabata. Honestly the entire Gamescom showing has just kind of burned me out big time on this game. It's gonna take some amazing new information and details to pop up for me to change my mind again.

Final Fantasy XV may use some of the technology being developed for Just Cause 3.

Square Enix has confirmed that it’s in talks with Avalanche Studios to use Just Cause 3 tech in Final Fantasy XV.

In an interview with IGN at Gamescom, Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata revealed that conversations have begun about a collaboration between both studios’ development teams.

“We’re talking to their central technology team based in Stockholm in Sweden about a certain collaboration we might do with them and the Final Fantasy XV team,” Tabata told IGN via a translator.

“We’ve got really great hopes for this discussion. What we’re going to be talking about is possibly being able to use their really unique, really high level amazing technology they have in their studio and using it as an add-on to enhance the quality of a certain specific part of our Final Fantasy XV game,” he explained. “We really think something very special may be coming out of that.”

Tabata cautioned that these conversations have only just begun, so there’s no guarantee that there will be any results just yet. When asked exactly what this collaboration might entail, Tabata explained that Square Enix is especially interested in Just Cause 3’s verticality.

“When I saw what the guys at Avalanche Studios were doing with Just Cause 3, what really impressed me was how they have that vertical element to their games and the technology they use to achieve that kind of thing,” he said. “So I really felt that if we could borrow some of their technology and have some help on what they do to achieve that and put that into our Final Fantasy XV engine, we could see a lot of really great breakthroughs in what we’d be able to do with the game.”

Tabata feels that a partnership could be mutual, as Square Enix has “very great technology within our department, within our team, aimed at creating real-time footage as you saw in the footage shown in the trailer today. So maybe that could be a great help to them as well.”

Edited by Inkling no Klonoa

I'll believe it when I see it, Tabata. Honestly the entire Gamescom showing has just kind of burned me out big time on this game. It's gonna take some amazing new information and details to pop up for me to change my mind again.

you mean like SONIC being in the game :^))))))))

Yeah I dunno if I completely believe this guy when he says it'll release before 2017... I'm not getting my hopes up too high.