Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed Generations Mod Project

goku262002

try this instead. not sure if i was actually using artfenix's and had forgotten

https://mega.co.nz/#!qBhTVDaC!Us41KwBwYPBHCoJQfDNSq1IRbexlc5TnSFHhVWIfvVs

if it's the same, then i apologize because it's likely dario's, though neither are available at the moment, but if your boost and such is affected, then you have a conflict somewhere, because that sure as hell doesn't happen to me.  redirects don't play well with duplicates in the bb, bb2, bb3 folders of the disk folder while mods are selected.

same ideas apply though, language, hints, etc., and sometimes the icons won't invis, so you'd need to go back to the options, turn them on then off, then back out of the game; rare, though.

Edited by darkmelee

try this instead. not sure if i was actually using artfenix's and had forgotten

https://mega.co.nz/#!qBhTVDaC!Us41KwBwYPBHCoJQfDNSq1IRbexlc5TnSFHhVWIfvVs

if it's the same, then i apologize because it's likely dario's, though neither are available at the moment, but if your boost and such is affected, then you have a conflict somewhere, because that sure as hell doesn't happen to me. redirects don't play well with duplicates in the bb, bb2, bb3 folders of the disk folder while mods are selected.

same ideas apply though, language, hints, etc., and sometimes the icons won't invis, so you'd need to go back to the options, turn them on then off, then back out of the game; rare, though.

Tried that, didn't work either. However, I decided to reinstall Sonic Generations and activate the mod as a last resort.

Edited by S Chrono

I think I know why the No-HUD worked. It only works when I checked the Unleashed FXPipeline Shader setting and mod in SonicGMI. BTW, the Unleashed Project Mod made the game hang when I clear Rooftop Run by touching the Goal Ring or die in that level.

Edited by S Chrono

i don't know if it's a skybox oversight with height, or a field issue, but there's a saucy red glare in empire city (upper right in pic). i remember seeing a video of something like that in arid sands when someone didn't use FX, but it looks alright so far when using it.  this one's always visible though in EC. odd, since i thought in unleashed those tones changed colors depending on your position.

i'll try to take a pic of it, but at the dash ring sequence after the first skyscraper run, by mashing buttons (i think after doing the drift-bumper trick; it's been awhile) you can get sonic to do his best blaze impression and twirl into oblivion only to reappear as if nothing happened.  it's actually a lot of fun.

EDIT: here's a vid someone did of it in action, second clip.  the third one's not really a bug or anything (just a quirk with how sonic handles curved walls and weak slopes at hgher velocities), but it's funny to watch. the rooftop run one's happened to me before, but a funnier incident happened today where i got a good jump off the rail and went flying, caught an invisible rail high above that doorway and rode said rail into the wall under the fountain only to become stuck in the geometry.  it happened too fast to snap.

also added a pic to show the other side of that gatecrash area in RR that disappears when you jump.

post-4333-0-19936000-1368406318_thumb.jp

post-4333-0-20505400-1368409347_thumb.jp

Edited by darkmelee

I have my own no-HUD mode but I didn't make it for Sonic GMI so you will have to repack .CPKs in the original game in order for it to work.

I have my own no-HUD mode but I didn't make it for Sonic GMI so you will have to repack .CPKs in the original game in order for it to work.

I'm tired of repacking the .CPKs to make no-HUD mod work on the original game. Can you possibly send me your own instead via PM?

Edited by S Chrono

not meaning to brag, but THIS TOOK SO MUCH OUTTA ME, I GOTTA SHOW IT FOR PROOF

post-4333-0-65729800-1368482732_thumb.jp

i hit the eggs springs, but other than THAT little mishap, this was intense as all hell. still, if i hadn't, this would be about 2 seconds faster, and that's a bit disappointing.  like the tutorial level, i'm pretty sure i could do better, but only if perfection occurs and a little bit of luck.

i'm no kakipi or sobastuyo, etc., so personally, this was a major accomplishment for me. still, i'm pretty upset that every time i'm doing tons better than i was on my best time, i either screw up major, or the game crashes from going too fast for my CPU. (i figured out that my PC was having a serious BIOS issue, apparently.  the stage can still lock up if i go too fast,sometimes, however, in the second water section.  normal play is fine and that's really the only place where it's a bit too heavy for my CPU (fixed now))

EDIT: overclocked slightly and figured out i had a mess of CPU/GPU settings that are now fixed for good. i'm now rocking 3200x1800 with all of my settings done up nicely.  it's incredible for screenshots and wallpapers, and i've snapped some great shots so far. it's a shame this pic couldn't wait.

Edited by Bort

Just wondering, does anyone have any idea where all the Modern SFX might be located? I've been searching for the SFX of Modern's snowboard in order to give it the proper Cool Edge bobsleigh sounds for the mod, but I've only found about half of the general Modern SFX through a single sound container inside disk/bb/cmn200.ar.00 (01, 02, etc don't seem to have any relevant sound containers), including both Wisps, the jump's swooshing/wind noise... is the snowboard SFX hard-coded into City Escape and the Rooftop Rail Grind challenge, or something?

there should be like 5 csb files in the cmn200.ar.00 archive. the first is sonic's movements, there are two object files, and then the ambient effects, and whatever that last one is.  i say just pore over them for a while if you haven't. if not, then it might be with the skateboard sounds in classic's stuff.  there's a chance those copies of the sounds aren't even used, since there are duplicates in other places that should serve the same function.

EDIT: board's in the 22PLY_SNC.csb file, along with a lot, but not all, of the sounds for the player. pretty sure it's just an archive of examples and not used. in the sonic.ar are many of the actual sound effects as well.  maybe a combination of the two?  if so, then if i can get a csb packer, i might be able to fix the quickstep sound effect bug by placing it in the other csb as well.

personally, i'm trying to find a good program to open the individual csb files (found one). i think that the actual effects are in .aif format, which is fine for audacity or nero (nope, aax files of adx files of aif files which are wav files when extracted).  i just wanna make the jump-spin sound louder (already made a new aax) at this point, and to have the option of editing other sounds like this (like putting the "ding-dong" effect of unleashed and mixing it with the "success" sound effect in gens).

for those interested in a nifty csb program for unpacking:

http://hcs64.com/files/utf_tab07b3.zip

simply drag a file onto the extractor and the program will instantly decode the csb file into the same directory you dragged the source file from to begin with. i need a csb packer still.  if anyone has a csb packer that could be used for sonic generations, i'd appreciate a link.

EDIT: deleted the wall of  text.  i found what i believe is a copy of the underlying sonic param file (among other settings) that unleashed uses, with the regular sonic param probably just used to overwrite a few things from it. i noticed some of the bosses had old data in them, with one, #BossDarkGaiaMoray.ar, having a file called param.prm, and it's loaded with stuff that syncs up fairly well with the final sonic in unleashed.  between that and other things i've been messing with, like bringing over various values and commands from things, the scene effects (as well as fixing what i think were minor oversights), and such; my copy of the unleashed project is getting seriously pimped out here. i'll experiment later to see if the ring speedup works, still (EDIT: i think they do!).

Edited by darkmelee

• 3 weeks later...

i'm just gonna throw some more things i've found out there. like the visible red in empire city i mentioned before, i actually did see the red in arid sands in the pic below. it was more pronounced on another try, but i didn't cap it fast enough. also in arid sands is a very noticeable clifftop that disappears for about half a second at the second picture, then reappears once the pulley lifts you back up.  odd, quick, but very noticeable. there's a more extreme example of this in windmill isle at the checkpoint just before the long rail section - VERY noticeable there.

when i was messing around with the files, i managed to accidentally the whole game, and it was glorious. i even got to experience my own Generations Project moment in CTE. posted a few images form that as well. i especially enjoyed the amazing technicolor truck.

i think the sky intensity scale should be put back to 1, since that's what it was in the original game (subtle difference, but noticeable), though that's not a big deal, either.

EDIT: deleted wall of text pertaining to camera info AGAIN. also found an easily repeatable oversight in dragon road, with the spinning platforms (next to last pic below). you can usually enter the wall in the picture, and can only leave by passing through a similar spot on the lower step's wall. one other smaller thing is at the begining of the tutorial stage, the seam of the skybox is directly in front of you on display (final pic). simply flipping it might be a good idea, or to a side. similarly, you can spot the seam here and there in other stages too, even if only once or twice. the fact that the sun isn't lined up with the shadow direction in rooftop run is also not a big deal, but again has to do with the skybox orientation.

i also noticed that the mountaintop terrain in windmill isle 2, during the long run down down the lane after the first rail section, are visible some time before the mountains themselves, and looks odd. i don't have a pic, but it's easy enough to see when playing.

i think. maybe a few angles in some existing cams could still be adjusted slightly in a later update, like rooftop run's clocktower springs, to help mask the flat field sprawl not being there yet (or maybe pulling back a little on the descent for the same reason). or earlier on when you first get launched after the quickstep alley bit to help hide the fact that the sky is below the buildings.

i think i've wall-of-texted enough, so i'm likely going to go into hiding for now (for real). if you're interested in the Unboost mod, it should be available now. and, if it seems like all i do is complain or notpick, i'm not really too upset.  most of what i have nagged on is easy enough in the right hands, anyway, and i've just messed around and done various things for myself, anyay.

post-4333-0-69459100-1370733419_thumb.jp

post-4333-0-41660600-1370733485_thumb.jp

post-4333-0-96995300-1370733709_thumb.jp

post-4333-0-15158900-1370733737_thumb.jp

post-4333-0-90486200-1370733767_thumb.jp

post-4333-0-28355500-1370733820_thumb.jp

post-4333-0-57034900-1370769603_thumb.jp

post-4333-0-53598200-1370891699_thumb.jp

Edited by Bort

https://mega.co.nz/#!LR0i2SrS!JAXbDiixwPpcg1WRo1Saun_bktB2-6BbQ9J82P4pq18

Unleashed Project alternative music option - no boost FX music as modern Sonic mod.

so, you guys remember when i mentioned about being able to theoretically make an edit for the Unleashed Project without the boost FX tracks?  well, i did it, and it works fine, although as a mod, it doesn't play well with GMI's priorities for some reason, so i might have to just have it as a a copy-paste job, but i'll have enough info for it to make sense. with the files in the right places, zero hassles.

this also means it's totally doable for sonic generations, though it would take more time.

similar to what i did for the stages before to get around copying/pasting them all the time if i switched between them (to prevent the infinite loading), i figure'd i'd make a custom version of the SNG22_ADD cpk, since it only streams a single track.  then, i simply pointed the stage.stg xml to the tracks i'd overwritten, and that's it.  there's a little more in the included Readme on what to do.

EDIT:i made this a separate post to act as a bump, since i added the link much later to the existing post and i figure'd there are people who are interested in this that have already moved on from the topic. i doubt anyone'd really be upset by that, but it's the reason for the bump.

Edited by darkmelee

• 3 weeks later...

2lb7ly.jpg

Everything is blurry for me. The mod, FX shaders, and FX pipeline renderer are enabled, currently using the altered exe for the pipeline option. (SonicGenerations.fxpipeline.exe)

mbmqug.jpg

Everything is blurry for me. The mod, FX shaders, and FX pipeline renderer are enabled, currently using the altered exe for the pipeline option. (SonicGenerations.fxpipeline.exe)

i've seen pics like this from people who use radeon cards and force things like SSAA and such, alongside other AA or enhancement options using forcewares of some kind.

it would be good to see what's enabled if you have anything, and scale it back if possible.

if you aren't using any sort of graphical tweaks, then i can't say for sure, but it's something i've seen often enough. the HUD looks pretty clean though.

son8ra.jpg
2rr9ee8.jpg

No dice. Even with everything dialed back in Catalyst, the in game picture is still very blurry. The only solution I've found thus far is to disable both the pipeline and pipeline shaders. You can see my settings in the pictures above.

No dice. Even with everything dialed back in Catalyst, the in game picture is still very blurry. The only solution I've found thus far is to disable both the pipeline and pipeline shaders. You can see my settings in the pictures above.

i don't know what to say then. from what i've seen, it usually has to do with SSAA and FXAA, but i'm guessing now it jmust has to do with your GPU handling deferred rendering.

Yeah pretty much, even without this mod back up all your files before modding anything. god knows what could happen Gens. modding is still very much trial and error still.

People, am I to assume that this awesome mod overrides the vanilla game, and that I'll have to make backup files? If so then no sweat, just wondrin.

yeah, even though you have the option of creating a backup .exe, i suggest making your own copy beforehand and putting it out of the way. if you decide on modding yourself, which isn't really that hard to get into for little things, then i'd suggest unpacking all the bb files into their own folders for reference and easy copying.

when using this game, and enabling save redirection, you won't typically need to worry about the vanilla game files, but it's always good to have a default option to go back to if you screw something up.

• 5 months later...

Bump.

To compensate with this amazing mod, Twlightzoney ported the polygon-eating monster Unleashed Sonic model:

And a post from Twlightzoney:

Yes, finally that real character mod is done. Over 361 animation max files laying on my computer that I had to fix up. I'm glad to have it done this year at least.The biggest issue was figuring out how to get the timing correct on the animations which took this a long time.

Figuring out how things worked and getting some tools to make exporting much easier, since I didn't want to export animations by hand one by one had to look at the havok sdk to get a proper batch exporter to work and while the cutscene animations play at 60 fps the in-game animations play at 30fps so from 3ds max if you had a 40 frame animation the duration would be 1.6 for how long the animation will last but if its 80 it will be double that amount so the animation would be slower in-game.

So I had Dario come up with a little xml tool to find the place where it said about the duration and halve it and then using the sdk to recompile it into the .hkx format. I also figured out what type of compression you need to set for you animations so you don't have a huge hkx files when you export.

All you will need to do for this is just add a spline compression to the exporting. Just put the slider all the way to lossless and that will still give you a really small and compressed animation with no loss of quality.

Since this is all done I'll be working on other things. And seeing how people have been talking about 06 earlier and how bad it was, I figured you'll need a proper character mod for those old stages.

5pZut6G.jpg

Oh yes, my Unleashed Sonic Mod has a few issues since the model uses its own skeleton and isn't rigged to Generations skeleton. So that means it won't work in cutscenes at all. I'm working on a update for later next year along with my other things I'm working on. I'm using an IK rig later to make these animations better, but for now this was done with just good old bones.

Without a replaced animation.

blUZu3c.jpg

With my redone animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3vCy61KNZY

So yeah enjoy this Awesome release!

It's a cool hack, I really like the extra effort put into this, the hub world is awesome, level design has some fixes in place. it has a neat cameo of Wentos, and the confetti feature from Rooftop Run has been co-opted to make falling snow for Holoska.

Never played it mind you, can't run Sonic Generations on this old machine D:

DarioFF has given us insight on how his hacking developement went and built up some really interesting articles on ModDB.

All very interesting stuff for any potentional beginnging hacker from the father of Sonic Generations hacking:

I promised a bit after release of our mod that I'd post some technical articles detailing all the research that went into developing it. Well I'm fulfilling that promise only 8 months later. specialed.png

The first of three articles has went up already. Included on it is the release of my own HKX 360 to PC converter that was used for all the content. The next 2 articles are coming later after proof-reading, but they're done already. They're more aimed to a general public so most of this will look familiar to Retro already, since all of I explained there basically happened in this thread. The next article touches on something more interesting which is the level gimmick tricks for everything.

The second article is now up. This covers how the levels were developed, and breaks down the functionality of each gimmick that needed to be recreated. This one's MUCH longer than the last article. Hopefully it's a useful resource for other level modders as well.

Some of them are simple tricks, others are way more complicated. This is my favorite picture of the article to see what you can expect:

itpjCUWvBppUI.png

Along with it comes a little compilation of some oddities we found during development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPJX4EAr5mo

Final and third article is up. Much shorter read, it just covers some of the late research and how the White World was done. I hope the instructions in there give people a better idea on how to do stuff like GI Rendering and managing a custom stage properly. I also posted the 3D font rip for anyone doing custom signs.

Also a video that covers the revisions the White World went through:

• 4 weeks later...

is it just me or does the unleashed model stand a wee bit higher off the ground than the default sonic?  still freaking awesome though. only thing i've noticed that even slightly irks me is his hands seem to not line up on pulleys, though i think the pulleys in unleashed were thinner-handled.

EDIT: nevermind about floating, it's just the thick kicks. love the shoes.

there's a pic of the handle thing below, as well as a bug in rooftop run that i'm having for some reason. if anyone else has this problem with the hanging clothing objects, let me know. it may have been caused by the HD shadows hex, but i don't know for sure. they appear almost correctly in the proximity box, but bright and off colored when far away. this occurs no matter which scene effect i use.

post-4333-0-64875600-1389680436_thumb.jp

post-4333-0-76833300-1390381831_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to double post, though this thread is pretty much dead anyway, but i'm currently trying to find a way to  bring sonic's trail aura from the demo version of generations into the final game, and if anyone knows of a simple way to enable that or reinject it somehow, i'd be interested to know, because it'd, uhh, just be pretty cool, actually.

for reference, in the demo version of sonic generations, sonic still has the blue trail following him when he balljumps and such, just like in unleashed. it'd be the perfect compliment to twilightzoney's mod (and also for my own complete unleashed sonic param recreation, which i need to actually completely redo because i tossed it on accident, though it won't take long).

well that's a bummer. i'm not gonna blindly wade through miles of hex just to get the jump trail function back with little to no idea what to do to where, so i'll write that off as unwinnable for now. i hopped around some of the scripts using an editor and didn't come across anything either. oh well. at least my small scale edits turned out okay.

I remember talking to some modders about that, and they said it's next to impossible to port it IIRC.

How long ago was this Psi? because if it was more then a year ago I can try asking Twlightzoney or Dario if they had any breakthroughs.