Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

It's the Debug Mode code that brings up a bunch of options in Sonic 1... which on an off-note is kind of annoying; Sonic 2 has a lesser one in the form of Game Config by playing sound 00 three times, and doesn't even have an option for the Instant Shield even though you can turn the Elemental Shields on. It's like it lost that to make the Knuckles & Tails combo more easily accessible!

Proto Palace's code doesn't mean anything in Sonic 1, since the particular sounds they're assigned for in Sonic 2 are Mystic Cave 2P, Mystic Cave 1P, Hidden Palace and Oil Ocean.

Edit: Oh yeah, nevermind what I said about debug not being needed; restarted Bluestacks a few times for testing and it's needed it since. Weird as hell!

It's the Debug Mode code that brings up a bunch of options in Sonic 1... which on an off-note is kind of annoying; Sonic 2 has a lesser one in the form of Game Config by playing sound 00 three times, and doesn't even have an option for the Instant Shield even though you can turn the Elemental Shields on. It's like it lost that to make the Knuckles & Tails combo more easily accessible!

Proto Palace's code doesn't mean anything in Sonic 1, since the particular sounds they're assigned for in Sonic 2 are Mystic Cave 2P, Mystic Cave 1P, Hidden Palace and Oil Ocean.

Edit: Oh yeah, nevermind what I said about debug not being needed; restarted Bluestacks a few times for testing and it's needed it since. Weird as hell!

How do you get "Bluestacks" running smoothly?

From the TSS comments.

Is he talking about the debug or the Proto Palace code?

He means the level select for Sonic 1 which allows you to turn the spindash on/off, change the speed-cap to on/off and use Sonic 2/3 styled shields.

I just tried it. The cheat code 03,03,03,0B,10,10,10,04 - which allows you to play the Prototype version of HPZ in Sonic 2 - does not work on the mobile version of Sonic 1. That code is only relevant to the mobile versions of Sonic 2.

How do you get "Bluestacks" running smoothly?

Get a better computer. It's a pretty demanding emulator, so not exactly any other way to make it run nicely. I mean, I have a computer that runs Sonic Generations at near-constant 60fps as well as running the Steam version of Sonic CD perfectly, but the mobile version of that barely runs and Sonic Dash is all over the place.

wonder if the prototype's wood zone is a super hidden secret

Just been goofing around in Proto Palace. There are a few things worth mentioning which weren't covered in the three minute youtube video on the TSS article.

I would recommend that you input the debug mode code (even if you don't have to) because this allows you to reach the incomplete parts of the stage which are inaccessible. I also recommend you input sequence 04,01,02,06 in level select which allows you to play as Super Sonic in Proto Palace biggrin.png

Here are some screenshots from the game on my phone.

ir8Fp8c.png

Even Super Sonic can't make it up that steep slope...

5RImOXB.png

If you debug your way a bit further to the right. From the bottom of the screen (underwater) you can see an identical steep slope. One could argue that the slope is supposed to loop from top to bottom much like the level design In Metropolis zone.

qKQ3ZI5.png

At the top of the aforementioned steep slope you then come out of the water and proceed on a water-slide.

oRoHu2B.png

When you come off the water-slide you end up underwater again on some normal platforms. It's not far before you get to the end of the screen.  In the screenshot below Sonic and Tails are at the very end of the stage. If you then walk right (out of the screen) the new Hidden Palace zone (with the Mystic Cave multi-player music) then starts. You still have debug mode and Super Sonic enabled etc.

LxfM2fN.png

This is how Sonic was meant to transform into Super Sonic. I couldn't resist tongue.png

kU89C92.png

You can also play with Knuckles and Tails Al.

• Thumbs Up 5

D'oh, of course there was more and I completely forgot all about it, despite all that heavy research into the prototype! I'll make a quick Part 2 video in a bit... and done!

For now though (and maybe not worth reviving the Sonic CD thread just for) another discovery and straight from Retro's sonicblur! ... but this time in Sonic CD, and it's layouts for R2 (Desert Dazzle) and R9 (Final Fever)! The same guy that's made those Egg Gauntlet and Proto Palace videos will do a video of them if he can get them working.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the guys on Retro made this video of Desert Dazzle

"I tried porting Desert Dazzle to the Steam version instead of recording it the usual way from an iPad. Here's what came out of it"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sbWeIikEi0c

It might be a bit bare bones like Proto Palace, but it's still really cool. If only we could play it.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

Such a shame they are not releasing these awesome games on consoles like CD's remaster...

Great remasters, (I have them on my iPad) but nothing makes platformers on touch screens any good to me. I hate touch screen controls

I still hope they give Sonic 3 & Knuckles some love and remaster that and make it even more awesome than the Sonic 3 Complete rom

One of the guys on Retro made this video of Desert Dazzle

"I tried porting Desert Dazzle to the Steam version instead of recording it the usual way from an iPad. Here's what came out of it"

It might be a bit bare bones like Proto Palace, but it's still really cool. If only we could play it.

This looks really nice, I'm getting some great RDR vibes from it! And was this made entirely by Taxman, with no resources from the original game? Looks like he's able to build a 2D Sonic game from scratch! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Taxman has commented on Retro. He's done some further bug fixes for Sonic 2. Another update will be rolled out at some point.

He was replying to a another member's question regarding a glitch:

"Thanks, I fixed that myself a couple of weeks back actually. Making the invisible death blocks a bit more lenient didn't play well with the speed of the crushing pistons, so it just needed to be dialled back down in Metropolis. Will be in the next update, whenever that may be." 

Nice to see that StealthTax are still working on fixing bugs. I still encounter a few here and there. The other day I encountered a glitch in Oil Ocean zone where Sonic got stuck underneath the green platform which propels Sonic upwards into those rotating tubes.

They've done a great job with Sonic 2. I hope they get the chance to work on Sonic 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Old, but intriguing.

'Buy this game and we might make the next game something you want' ~ SEGA

not actual quote

Probably has something to do with SEGA loosening the reigns on western developers with Sonic based on Boom's success.

Probably also discussed in a Boom topic somewhere I didn't look sorry

Old, but intriguing.

'Buy this game and we might make the next game something you want' ~ SEGA

not actual quote

Probably has something to do with SEGA loosening the reigns on western developers with Sonic based on Boom's success.

Probably also discussed in a Boom topic somewhere I didn't look sorry

You're a little late. I posted this in the a few days ago.

Hopefully they will get to work on Sonic 3&K soon. 

I think I broke Sonic 2...

CsPQ1AK.pngmo7Gufk.png8CZwcEH.png

Not sure exactly how this happened, but the app "crashed", but let me go back into the game. After I went back into it, it turned into...whatever THIS is.

EDIT: Now Sonic 1 + 2 (along with both Sonic 4 episodes, and SASASR) are .99 cents on the Play Store!

• 2 weeks later...

I accidentally posted this in the Sonic 2 HD thread thinking it was the Taxman thread. omg

Sonic Taxman 2 is FREE on Amazon's app store. Get it if you don't own it yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering it appears to be the case in both the US and UK (it's free over my end too for the latter) this is probably a worldwide sale.

Grab it while you can because there's really no reason not to unless you don't have 50 MB space free on your device for reasons I probably don't wanna know.

Yeah. I already own it for iPhone but a free version for my Kindle is good too.

It's a Android only deal, isn't it? :( 

That leaves me sad with an iPhone.

The game costs hardly anything even when it's at full price. It's worth buying an iPhone gift card for like £5 or £10 just so you can buy these.
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's only 99 cents for a game that's been completely ported/remade onto a new engine. Compared to the $8 you spend for an emulated version, this is a steal.

plus you get a $1.00 music credit for buying it off amazon so its like they are paying you.

Do not play this game on Amazon Fire TV, Tax says theirs a high chance of the game crashing on it:

The crashes are actually a single issue: for some people the game crashes whenever the GameCircle library tries to unlock an achievement. In your case it's always crashing at the end of EHZ1 because you're finishing it under 35 seconds. The game was developed on prototype Fire TV hardware to meet its launch, so unfortunately I can't predict stuff like this. Unless I get directly assigned to work on bug fixing for this SKU, you'll have to wait until I casually come across a fix in spare time. Sorry for the inconvenience.