Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Now that would be awesome. You know when you reach a boss with Super Sonic, and in the middle of the battle you turn back to normal with no rings. Oh boy. It's time to:

*gif*

Turning back to normal at anytime would be cool, like: "I don't even need to use my full power for that shit", like Dragon Ball Z haha

Turning back to normal would just further break Super Sonic, and I think the only reason you could in S4E2 was due to laziness. When you turn Super, you're given ultimate speed and almost complete invulnerability at the cost of your rings. If you could switch back and forth at will, your rings pretty much cease to be an issue. So I agree with every point except that one. It's a step too far.

I like the idea of saving up your rings until you know you've got a good enough supply to last you, otherwise you'll be left in a perilous state.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Turning back to normal would just further break Super Sonic, and I think the only reason you could in S4E2 was due to laziness. When you turn Super, you're given ultimate speed and almost complete invulnerability at the cost of your rings. If you could switch back and forth at will, your rings pretty much cease to be an issue. So I agree with every point except that one. It's a step too far.

I like the idea of saving up your rings until you know you've got a good enough supply to last you, otherwise you'll be left in a perilous state.

True, true...

But you gotta admit, that would be pretty cool.

Sounds legit.

Well look, I believe CD was first announced for mobile and shortly after it was announced for consoles. give it time we will see the proper announcement soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

With regards to adding special stages/emeralds/super sonic I'm not fussed at all, but adding Scrap Brain Act 1 as a potential place to get a Special Stage ring would be a lovely little bonus to just tame down the game's difficulty a little from ye olde days.  Sonic 1 is hardly a Nintendo Hard game but yeah, all the same.  Marble and Labyrinth could use more checkpoints too.

Anyone else thought how cool it would be if the Sonic 1 Game Gear levels got remade in 16bit (proper physics and smooth fps too) and were added to the level roster as an optional 'extended version' mode alongside the regular game? What if this was sold as a DLC package in the future if  'S1 Taxman edition' was a success, would you purchase it?

In my mind at least the complete South Island saga was represented by both games and a hypothetical order for the zones could be:

1) Green Hill

2) Bridge Zone (imagine dat music remixed and sound quality upscaled too!) http://info.sonicretro.org/Bridge_Zone

3) Marble Zone

4) Spring Yard

5) Jungle Zone: http://info.sonicretro.org/Jungle_Zone

6) Labyrinth

7) Starlight

8) Scrap Brain

9) Sky Base: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sky_Base_Zone

Obviously the 8bit versions of GHZ, Lab. and Scrap Brain would be dropped in favor of the 16 bit versions. However, remaking the 8bit levels to the same standards as the 16bit ones will take a lot of hard work and re-imagining too because more detailed backgrounds, an expanded color palette, possibly more badniks so the levels look less sparse etc would need to be implemented. The Game Gear levels will definitely improve the overall experience because they have some interesting gimmicks, aesthetics and level design: Bridge Zone has an auto side-scroll and Jungle Zone Act 2 auto scrolls upwards in the Master System version while you platform your way to the top of a waterfall and Sky Base could be an awesome finale that can only be accessed if you have all the chaos emeralds.

• Thumbs Up 5

I will say this: You're crazy if you think this is just going to come out on mobile devices. Let's be realistic.

Edited by Skyler
  • Thumbs Up 6

All that and giving an originally SD game widescreen support without giving it to consoles that are mostly played on HD TVs would be akin to Lex Luthor obtaining Kryptonite only to power a car.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will say this: You're crazy if you think this is just going to come out on mobile devices. Let's be realistic.

is a WiiU version realistic?

• Thumbs Up 5

I like how it breaks the game in Sonic 3 Complete. Plus it means I could stop listening to the Super Sonic music whenever I get sick of it.

*shrugs*

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else thought how cool it would be if the Sonic 1 Game Gear levels got remade in 16bit (proper physics and smooth fps too) and were added to the level roster as an optional 'extended version' mode alongside the regular game? What if this was sold as a DLC package in the future if  'S1 Taxman edition' was a success, would you purchase it?

In my mind at least the complete South Island saga was represented by both games and a hypothetical order for the zones could be:

1) Green Hill

2) Bridge Zone (imagine dat music remixed and sound quality upscaled too!) http://info.sonicretro.org/Bridge_Zone

3) Marble Zone

4) Spring Yard

5) Jungle Zone: http://info.sonicretro.org/Jungle_Zone

6) Labyrinth

7) Starlight

8) Scrap Brain

9) Sky Base: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sky_Base_Zone

Obviously the 8bit versions of GHZ, Lab. and Scrap Brain would be dropped in favor of the 16 bit versions. However, remaking the 8bit levels to the same standards as the 16bit ones will take a lot of hard work and re-imagining too because more detailed backgrounds, an expanded color palette, possibly more badniks so the levels look less sparse etc would need to be implemented. The Game Gear levels will definitely improve the overall experience because they have some interesting gimmicks, aesthetics and level design: Bridge Zone has an auto side-scroll and Jungle Zone Act 2 auto scrolls upwards in the Master System version while you platform your way to the top of a waterfall and Sky Base could be an awesome finale that can only be accessed if you have all the chaos emeralds.

If they do this then shut up and take my money, Sega!

I said over at Retro that the SEGA Café aka. the mobile phone version of Sonic 2 had 3D Special stages (and also rendered Tails' tails in 3D) so the assets do exist for better Special Stages seeing as the originals are ass.

I was the reason Retro flooded the forums. :( I linked them to the thread while we were talkin SEGAbits X Sonic Retro partnership stuff. 

I was the reason Retro flooded the forums. sad.png I linked them to the thread while we were talkin SEGAbits X Sonic Retro partnership stuff. 

Well, if they are really excited about the positive effects of purchasing then it's good that you got them over here to spread the word. 

• Thumbs Up 3

That I don't know. :V

Well the reason CD2011 wasn't released on Wii was because the Wii itself didn't have the qualifications of it being released digitally correct? (Ex: Shoddy online store, limited HDD space, etc.)

Wii-U has those qualifications improved and then some. so Wii-U should be considered since its at least met current gen. standards.

Thing is, Nintendo kinda has that Virtual Console thing going. Even the Sonic GG ports on 3DS had a similar system. Would this count as a VC release...? Would that take more work?

Regardless, would having the game on the Gamepad require more work on SEGA's end?

Well, issues like that aside, I'd be quite happy to support this release, given CD's quality... as long as it *does* come to home consoles.

Nintendo have made strides over the last two weeks to show how extremely easy it is to get a game running on eShop or the Gamepad, so I doubt it's a significant hindrance. Plus, the Wii and 3DS got remastered games as Wiiware/eShop releases as opposed to VC, I assume it'd be the same case here.

Really the only (and likely) reason the WiiU wouldn't be supported in this instance is because there's no demand for it.

(well there is!! I'd buy it! and I know others who would love to play Sonic 1 and 2 and heck CD, SA1, SA2, and Fighters on the gamepad!! but just not enough demand apparently)

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

UPDATE: Ignore this post, Taxman. It's an April Fools joke posted as MarioTahPlumber.

----

Taxman, if you see this n' rebuilding Sonic 2 from the ground up, I got good suggestions that will turn Sonic 2 in to a better game than Sonic 1. I want you change the shade of blue like the Classic 1 Sonic. And kill Tails. Kill the f***ing spindash too. Change the Sonic 2 opening with Sonic wagging his finger and remove that white spot in his head. Because he looks like f***ing plastic.

That is what the real fans want. Ignore the hentai modern fans.

Sonic 1 is the god of all Sonic games. Sega got everything right in this game don't screw it up Taxman.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana
  • Thumbs Up 5

Taxman, if you see this n' rebuilding Sonic 2 from the ground up, I got good suggestions that will turn Sonic 2 in to a better game than Sonic 1. I want you change the shade of blue like the Classic 1 Sonic. And kill Tails. Kill the f***ing spindash too. Change the Sonic 2 opening with Sonic wagging his finger and remove that white spot in his head. Because he looks like f***ing plastic.

That is what the real fans want. Ignore the hentai modern fans.

Sonic 1 is the god of all Sonic games. Sega got everything right in this game don't screw it up Taxman.

(you wot m8)

I'd be really surprised if these didn't end up on the Wii U.

I wouldn't :/ the WiiU didn't get SA2, NiGHTS or Sonic Fighters despite how recent they all were.

(Infact part of the reason I haven't gotten any of them yet is because I'm holding out for a what if)

• Thumbs Up 1

I see no reason why Blit couldn't handle porting Sonic 1&2 to the Wii U and other consoles, as they did a great job with Sonic CD. Of course it's easy to say that Backbone (who used to port the games before they went bust) didn't do as good a job, but they didn't have Taxman material to work with. 

Speaking of 'Blit Software' have you looked at their website?

http://www.blitsoftware.com/game-porting/

Edited by -Bender-

I wouldn't :/ the WiiU didn't get SA2, NiGHTS or Sonic Fighters despite how recent they all were.

(Infact part of the reason I haven't gotten any of them yet is because I'm holding out for a what if)

Didn't those come out long before the Wii U was actually released?

Didn't those come out long before the Wii U was actually released?

Definitely not Sonic the Fighters. And they could have developed SA2 for Wii U...

The Adventure 2 port and NiGHTS released only a month before the Wii U launched on PSN/XBLA, and afterwards on Steam (as far as Adventure 2 goes, literally a day afterwards).

And it should have been a no-brainer to release them, too.

• Thumbs Up 1