Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

...Eh. More ports for 1 and 2. I know that these ones will have more effort to them than most, but I still can't really get excited for games that have been ported numerous times now. Sonic CD was more of a thing because it had only been ported twice before then. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Actually scratch what I said before..

> Remastered soundtrack

> widescreen

> Time attack

>60 FPS

This is not just good..

IT IS GLORIOUS.

tumblr_liy57vMULm1qit92oo1_500.gif

Well you get 60FPS with MD.EMU already. :P But if you're one of those people that prefers legit then I see your point haha.

I'd totally buy a Sonic CD-ish port of the first two games. Just not being emulation is enough to get me to make the plunge.

• Thumbs Up 9

I believe Sonic 3&K, Chaotix and so on are not getting the same treatment because Taxman's Retro Engine emulates Sonic CD physics, that are much more closer to Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. So unless Taxman is already working on that, none of these games will be made HD, at least not by his hands. And we know SEGA's cheap as hell, considering their later ports where straight pixels from the consoles.

I still wanna see a full new retro game using Taxman's physics engine and Sonic Team's art/music talents. The guy's almost the new Yuji Naka =P

The Retro Engine is just a game engine like Unity or such I believe, not the Sonic physics. That, and his Sonic CD remake had both Sonic CD and Sonic 2(or was it 3K even?) physics sets, which are tied to which style of Spin Dash you pick.

I'm assuming that Sonic 3 & Knuckles are in a "eh, let's see if these two turn out as good as Sonic CD" situation, given how it'd be a bit bigger a project to remake. Also, calling it now: Sonic 1/2 lack Knuckles entirely despite fan demand. Then the Sonic & Knuckles port happens alongside a patch for Sonic 1/2 and Knuckles(and perhaps Sonic 3 & Knuckles movesets? Knuckles in Sonic CD mode?)

Edited by Someguy
  • Thumbs Up 3

...Eh. More ports for 1 and 2. I know that these ones will have more effort to them than most, but I still can't really get excited for games that have been ported numerous times now. Sonic CD was more of a thing because it had only been ported twice before then. 

Same here. If it was S3&K or Knuckles Chaotix, I would've been more hyped tbh. Still, knowing that both games are made by Taxman (what's his real name anyway? XP) and will have a remastered soundtrack (!) it might be worth checking out once it's released.

Oh man, I wasn't really expecting this. I was genuinely wondering what happened to Taxman after CD, and I hope that SEGA are still letting him do great things.

I also hope this port is a little more than it sounds.. i.e. touched up physics and maybe Tails I'd be super chuffed.

But dude I really want a shiny S3&K port, it confuses me too that SEGA don't seem to.. acknowledge how much people love that game? Weird weird people.

• Thumbs Up 4

I will gladly get these! I loved the Sonic CD remake, so hopefully these will be just as great! Maybe we'll finally get online multiplayer for Sonic 2? I just hope these come to Steam!

We've gone two pages almost without anyone saying how much they want Hidden Palace restored?

The Sonic Fanbase really has changed from when I joined it.

I'd like to see that, honestly slipped my mind.

But any new stage would be more than welcome even if it won't happen. My guess is no one is expecting it compared to last time.

• Thumbs Up 2

We've gone two pages almost without anyone saying how much they want Hidden Palace restored?

DLC PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

/jk, but we're probably gonna get a flying Tails.

>Remastered Soundtrack

YES. YES. DO WANT. NOW MAKE IT FOR XBOX/PS3/WIIU/PC AND YOU GET ALL MY MONEY.

NOW GIVE ME 3D BLAST REMAKE *shot then thrown into pit of lava with spikes*

• Thumbs Up 1

The Sonic 2 Hidden Palace sucked, I'm glad it wasn't included. S3&K did it so much better.

Just wait and see people complaining about Tails being able to fly.

I would put a Tails haters gonna hate meme here but I'm too lazy. :P

Tails totally cheats at Sonic CD on the fly and I don't even care

he was born to cakewalk this shit, if he's an unlockable secret then who cares if he cheats (you already finished it)

let the master walk among his domain and show the mortals how it's done

• Thumbs Up 7

This feels like such a waste to me. Anyone can get a copy of Sonic 1 & 2 easily and legitimately. Especially Sonic 1 which has been ported to everything that ever had a screen. Their music wasn't that amazing compared to later installments, so the remastered stuff is probably just gonna be something I check out on YouTube once and then forget about. Being on a touchscreen makes it even less appealing (though props to SEGA for announcing the Android version of something for once). Leaderboards are nothing to be excited about considering it's just a list of 500 people who did better than you when you thought you did a good run.

Sonic 1 has been ported to everything. I'd much prefer a remake of a game that DESERVES it - how about Chaos + Triple Trouble merged into one game, with remastered music, new graphics and Genesis physics? Or a remake of Chaotix with Sonic and Tails unlockable and more levels/better level design? Or even 3&K, which at least has the benefit of being the best of the classic era.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just watch as the "remastered soundtrack" is sticking in the Sonic 4 soundfonts *bazooka'd*

Anyways I might bite and get it, though I don't know. I'm pretty content with Mega Collection and the original carts, and if I'm just buying it for the new music I might as well just download a rip or soundtrack of it. Throw me a bone with Tails in Sonic 1 or Tails flying like Jeff said and I might be a little more into it. Heck if they made a streamlined mode of playing Sonic 1 and 2 front to back that'd get my pants tighter for sure.

• Thumbs Up 7

This feels like such a waste to me. Anyone can get a copy of Sonic 1 & 2 easily and legitimately. Especially Sonic 1 which has been ported to everything that ever had a screen. Their music wasn't that amazing compared to later installments, so the remastered stuff is probably just gonna be something I check out on YouTube once and then forget about. Being on a touchscreen makes it even less appealing (though props to SEGA for announcing the Android version of something for once). Leaderboards are nothing to be excited about considering it's just a list of 500 people who did better than you when you thought you did a good run.

Sonic 1 has been ported to everything. I'd much prefer a remake of a game that DESERVES it - how about Chaos + Triple Trouble merged into one game, with remastered music, new graphics and Genesis physics? Or a remake of Chaotix with Sonic and Tails unlockable and more levels/better level design? Or even 3&K, which at least has the benefit of being the best of the classic era.

*British accent* I second the motion. I got much enjoyment from the GameGear games. If they remade it, they get all my 3 dollars money.

Just watch as the "remastered soundtrack" is sticking in the Sonic 4 soundfonts *bazooka'd*

Well... um... err... *cries*

I don't have any of the XBLA versions of the games, so I might get them when they come. Wonder if he'll put the Spindash in. I'd be surprised if he doesn't.

I just want to have similar save system as Sonic 3.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't want to be Mr. Killjoy-modin here, but to be honest, as much as I'm intrigued by the notions of being able to legally play them on my Nexus device, I... eh, just can't get hyped for this.

I mean, the games have been ported to darn near every other gaming device in existence, and I'm not really seeing enough differences to justify purchasing them for the umpteenth time.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know it's probably gonna end up on consoles as well right?

And people care because when Taxman ports a classic game, he doesn't just port it, he rebuilds it from the ground up with his Taxman engine (which BTW is a fan-made engine more accurate then the Sonic 4 engine........yep) and adds extra stuff to it, like a remastered soundtrack in this case, and time attack mode. It`s not just a port, it`s the definitive version of a great game, which is worth supporting in my opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Tbh I hope they update/patch this version onto consoles? I think that's probably going to get my attention most. I didn't buy either on XBLA, PSN or anything cause I've already got it but I can dig an updated version.

Phones don't have buttons, they're stupid. I hate them. >:C

• Thumbs Up 1

Tbh I hope they update/patch this version onto consoles? I think that's probably going to get my attention most. I didn't buy either on XBLA, PSN or anything cause I've already got it but I can dig an updated version.

Phones don't have buttons, they're stupid. I hate them. >:C

I thought that at first but you adjust after awhile. I can rock the Genesis games just as well on a tablet now that I've practiced.

You know it's probably gonna end up on consoles as well right?

And people care because when Taxman ports a classic game, he doesn't just port it, he rebuilds it from the ground up with his Taxman engine (which BTW is a fan-made engine more accurate then the Sonic 4 engine........yep) and adds extra stuff to it, like a remastered soundtrack in this case, and time attack mode. It`s not just a port, it`s the definitive version of a great game, which is worth supporting in my opinion. 

So now there can be a port of a remake of a game that's already been ported countless times?

There was nothing wrong with Sonic 1's engine so having it rebuilt seems dumb. Time Attack mode is pointless; it's literally you playing the game but with it telling you your time at the end; why wouldn't that feature be integrated into the main game instead of being a separate mode? This way, if you get a good time in the main game, it's "wasted" because it won't show up in your time attack section. Leaderboards as I said are nothing to get excited about. Remastered soundtrack is nice but not a selling point.

Edited by cosmictruffle